• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

FStubbs

NEZIsoel.png

Gathering my thoughts, but these two stand out. They're clearly a couple (trust each other), both have guns, and both have cleared the main fracas. Why didn't they just escape?

FStubbs

I like how the imposter ends up in ultimate despair but Ryota goes to FF when right now it looks like it should be the opposite, da fuck happened.

im going to be upset if the fall of class 77 has anything to do with brainwashing, it's giving them an out instead of facing the harsh reality that they are evil horrible people

It would almost justify Makoto's position though. "I'll just brainwash them back to normal!"

PK Gaming

Gathering my thoughts, but these two stand out. They're clearly a couple (trust each other), both have guns, and both have cleared the main fracas. Why didn't they just escape?

Because they were supposed to be locked in but the anime neglected to even bother showing that

Tbh Mukuro and Junko shouldn't have physically appeared in those rooms

kewlmyc

Because they were supposed to be locked in but the anime neglected to even bother showing that

Tbh Mukuro and Junko shouldn't have physically appeared in those rooms

Well they need a reason for the student council to have a nervous breakdown at the mention of her name, so having him actually meet her makes more sense.

Style

Banned
I think people are putting too much in to the "brainwashing anime". From what I understood the point of that scene was just Junko getting moved by the anime then forcing Mikan to watch it to observe and analyse how it brought out emotions. She then went out and applied that sort of manipulation and triggering of emotions to break the rest of the world. So far it's just about her learning the methods of persiuasion and appeals from Mitarai and not actually the world getting brainwashed by some anime.

NullMoon

Neo Member
So, what was with the picture of Kyoko and her father at the end? Both their faces had that weird White streak obscuring their face, often used to depict a character has died in anime. We know for a fact Jin Kirigi dies. With episode 7 Future Monaka said "Naegi will cause the death of some" Maybe I'm overthinking it or maybe it's foreshadowing Kyoko's death. It's kinda indicative of the fact since the Episode 7 of Future ended with some uncertainty as to who Monaka was actually referring to.

So, what was with the picture of Kyoko and her father at the end? Both their faces had that weird White streak obscuring their face, often used to depict a character has died in anime. We know for a fact Jin Kirigi dies. With episode 7 Future Monaka said "Naegi will cause the death of some" Maybe I'm overthinking it or maybe it's foreshadowing Kyoko's death. It's kinda indicative of the fact since the Episode 7 of Future ended with some uncertainty as to who Monaka was actually referring to.

I just took it as "We're still obscuring the fact that this is Kyoko's dad despite the fact that you should know this already"

NullMoon

Neo Member
I just took it as "We're still obscuring the fact that this is Kyoko's dad despite the fact that you should know this already"
Haha, you are probably right. It just seems stupid to keep dancing around the fact like the revelation that they are related will be a game changer. On a diffrent note however, that episode got fucking dark like real fast. I was taken back by it at first, like legit shocked for a moment. I knew it was coming but damn that was grizzly. Great episode all in all the Despair arc is finally picking up.

ChrisD

So, no Ending Theme for Despair 7. Think they'll make a new one for the rest of the season? It is an awfully happy animation that goes along with it, so it'd feel pretty out of place.

And yeah, I definitely did not expect to see things get violent so quickly. Haven't played a DR since UDG last year, so it sort of took me by surprise. Almost forgot how screwed up this series gets. Even Future Arc has been pretty tame, all things considered.

That chainsaw death... Yikes.

imagine you been asked to design 13 new characters only to hear they all die less than 10 minutes after they are introduced

it was a slow start but we definitely started hitting despair, gotta wonder how much worse it'll get if the worst ever blah blah blah event is like midpoint of the series

I really enjoyed the Junko sections and the first killing game finally being shown, but the setup for it bothers me. It's hard to believe that nobody ran for the door after Mukuro shot the first girl or tried to join together to take the two of them down with the crazy amount of weapons they gave the student council.

Does DR0 elaborate on how trapped they were? It seems like it would have been simple to escape since they could travel freely within the school.

Well they need a reason for the student council to have a nervous breakdown at the mention of her name, so having him actually meet her makes more sense.

I think they made a mistake by having Mukuro there, it should be Junko the one doing the first killing. You don't get a trauma because of the person pushing a trolley with some documents when there's someone bringing the weapons, telling you to kill each other and shooting your schoolmate.

Truly, as Junko is going to demonstrate to us, we must ban all anime.

Also I haven't been fully keeping up with the thread, but after a slow start to both shows, jesus christ have they kicked everything into high gear. Bar an unsatisfying twist this is a fantastic send-off to this story arc for Danganronpa, right down to how they tied UDG into a nice, neat little bow.

The_Kid

OH

OH

Real Chiaki will be alive, will be a part of the Future Foundation, and will be what makes Izuru finally able to cast himself aside and allow Hajime to take control.

EDIT: Also, I'm kind of thinking that Tengan might be getting suspicious again. I mean, yeah, he is dead (maybe), but there are so many flags. How he used to be opposed to the Remnants of Despair, how he is sympathetic to the cover-ups, etc. I don't want him to be the villain, but I could definitely see it being a possibility. That said, Koichi's role in this is swimming around my head. I'm really curious what is going to come up with him. I don't know that he will be an attacker or that he will be a mastermind or that he will be an agent of the mastermind, but I think he's one of those. The left hand thing, his closeness to Jin Kirigiri, him toying with Kyoko like that, etc. One thing that HAS changed though - I think that it will be that while he is indeed responsible for something about this killing game, I think that he will legitimately try to protect Kyoko as a promise to Jin.

I think Koichi is just going to die next episode saving Kirigiri from Ruruka, fulfilling the promise to her dad. Ruruka will die, leaving Ryota alone with Kirigiri. Then it will probably be something setting up Ryota as the villain who takes Kirigiri to bait Naegi.

Kind of weird they didn't show Izuru interacting with Shoshun, but I guess they seem pressed for time at this point.

can't believe that muscle bro went apeshit on pikachu girl outta nowhere. dude stabbed her after feigning being on her side, used her as human shield and then threw her dead body to create an opening, wtf man.... talk about 0-100.

Sakubro and Great Brozu didn't die for this new punk to sully the good name of muscle bros.

I think Koichi is just going to die next episode saving Kirigiri from Ruruka, fulfilling the promise to her dad. Ruruka will die, leaving Ryota alone with Kirigiri. Then it will probably be something setting up Ryota as the villain who takes Kirigiri to bait Naegi.

Kind of weird they didn't show Izuru interacting with Shoshun, but I guess they seem pressed for time at this point.

Well, see, I'm almost expecting Mitarai to be an unintentional mastermind if he is. I don't think he will be evil.

can't believe that muscle bro went apeshit on pikachu girl outta nowhere. dude stabbed her after feigning being on her side, used her as human shield and then threw her dead body to create an opening, wtf man.... talk about 0-100.

Sakubro and Great Brozu didn't die for this new punk to sully the good name of muscle bros.

Haha, that's exactly what I'm thinking (though also with Nekumarbro, pre-despair - I mean, he DID give his life to protect everyone). It was a funny contrast to see someone as strong as him falling to despair and using his pure strength so unnecessarily.

Just T

Despair Volume: 7

Well shit, that was brutal. Thought Izuru was going to be more active in it but they were in their own little crazy world rather quickly. Also thought Chiaki was going to be there but glad she wasn't cause that would have been sad as fuck, even more curious about what happened to her now though.

Gradon

I've never felt so uncomfortable experiencing this series before... We knew it was coming but Jesus.

The only thing about Ryota's explanation about colour and tone in animation reminded about how they've intentionally made the blood red in Future compared to Despair. Maybe it IS an anime? 😂

Honestly after that breaking the expectation of Chiaki being in the killing game, I don't think they'll run with "anime causes mass despair"... Maybe for the reserve course suicide.
I'm going to guess that Danganronpa 0 is the next event now.

Mendrox

I've never felt so uncomfortable experiencing this series before... We knew it was coming but Jesus.

The only thing about Ryota's explanation about colour and tone in animation reminded about how they've intentionally made the blood red in Future compared to Despair. Maybe it IS an anime? 😂

Honestly after that breaking the expectation of Chiaki being in the killing game, I don't think they'll run with "anime causes mass despair"... Maybe for the reserve course suicide.
I'm going to guess that Danganronpa 0 is the next event now.

Yeah the opening changes colours too, doesn't it? The blood thing is the most strange thing of both series.

Friend and me couldn't believe what was happening their and the song gave us immediately NGE vibes.

So just to note, we're still not seeing:

1. Great Gozu
2. Daisaku Bandai
3. Miaya Gekkogahara

In the Despair arc and all three have passed away. Aside from Chisa, every other character appeared in Despair before their death was shown on-screen. I think that there is going to be some relevance to that. With that, I ultimately think that it suggests that the Great Gozu's role in Despair is significant in some respect or another.

I do think that we will see Gekkogahara and Bandai - if only just to give us a little more of them to enjoy (including seeing what the real Gekkogahara is like) - but I think that we haven't seen the Great Gozu because he is the key to all of this. And you know what else? Think about this:

Munakata believes that the goal of the mastermind (he calls the person the attacker, but if we operate on the idea of multiple attackers his terminology is biased based on his preconceptions) is to protect Naegi and get him out safely. In all, here are the people who actively are trying to protect him or have tried:

1. Aoi Asahina
2. Kyoko Kirigiri
3. Great Gozu
4. Miaya Gekkogahara (Monaca Towa)
5. Kazuo Tengan

Of these five, we're going to assume that returning members are not the mastermind, especially Kyoko who shows very little in the way of actively trying to protect Naegi (though not through lack of trying). When you look at the rest of the cast, you have two types: one that doesn't want Makoto dead/has expressed a desire to kill and one that does. Munakata, Juzo, Izayoi, and Ruruka have all expressed a desire to kill Makoto (in the case of Izayoi and Ruruka, both show relatively passive desires). Seiko, Yasuhiro, Kizakura, Bandai, Chisa, and Mitarai have not.

Of the people left - Great Gozu, Monaca Towa, and Kazuo Tengan, the latter two have very strongly defined reasons to keep Makoto alive. Monaca Towa because she is bored and Kazuo Tengan because he does not believe that the killing will eliminate despair. Gozu? Look at what he says and how he says it. He talks about the future of the Future Foundation, he talks about how they "need that power for the future", he talks about how much he moved people with his words/actions. Ultimately, his goals and the speculation of Munakata's line up perfectly - Great Gozu wants the Future Foundation to have the power of Makoto's hope, and the attacker wants the Future Foundation to have the power of Makoto's hope. Of course, this assumes that Munakata is correct in his speculation, but I do think that he is not just a rambling lunatic. I am going to go one step forward and say that the Great Gozu killed Chisa in order to spur Munakata to action and create the situation that would require Munakata to be killed and for the mutual killing game to end as a result. Going back further, there's also the fact that his eyes glow red, which from what I recall, has only ever happened with the Remnants of Despair (we don't even see this happen with Ultimate Despair!).

However, I do not believe that the Great Gozu is the big bad. I do believe that he is dead, hence Kyoko covering his face. Which begs the question, who could be it? For me, the list is:

1. Chisa Yukizome - It would be strange to have the two villains (three if we operate on the idea that Mitarai is involved) both be dead, but it would be a very interesting twist - creating a situation where Munakata has no need to kill anyone at this stage and will therefore kill for no reason. Chisa also knows more than anyone what her death would do to him.
2. Koichi Kizakura - A bit more obvious, especially since someone pointed out that he keeps his left hand in his pocket at all times only after he wakes up, and if we assume that his NG is taking his hand out of his pocket, he would have to be very lucky and fortunate to just happen to have his hand in his pocket. I also sort of subscribe to the theory that Kizakura is Ultimate Despair and the father of Junko and Mukuro.
3. Ryota Mitarai - Also obvious, but to such an extent that it feels like it won't happen. I do kind of expect that he is involved - at the very least, he understands why everything is happening (perhaps not by who, and why he will not say I don't know) - but Despair is raising the face-heel turn flag so quickly that it doesn't feel like it will be him. Danganronpa has never really been that blunt before about these kinds of big twists. With Izuru, the earliest we got was the flashback - while I've seen some people deduce that it could be Hajime, most of the people don't get it - and they don't notice that both of them say "...this world", which for Hajime is what triggered the memory. With Junko, it was a little earlier that they hinted at it - disregarding the hint at the beginning of the game - but it was an easy hint to miss in episode 5.
4. Nagito Komaeda - And here we have the fourth obvious choice. Nagito has expressed a desire, repeatedly, to be there to witness the moment when two great hopes collide. What kind of disappointment would it be when that actually finally happened? Because we never once did see him get his wish. What good is his talent if he was so unlucky that he would not be able to bear witness to this?

For me, I think that these four are the only candidates, and seem to be the only ones that people seriously discuss for mastermind status. Tengan would be out there, the returning cast are more for "wouldn't it be surprising if..." fodder, Ando gives too few shits about hope and despair, Munakata is too affected by anything to have been double-agenting, Juzo is dumb, and the rest are dead (while also not having compelling evidence).

And one final note, we do not have any hints about the following NG codes:

1. Great Gozu
2. Miaya Gekkogahara (as an aside, it stands to reason that the mastermind knows that Miaya is a robot since they put the bracelet on her)
3. Chisa Yukizome (actually, does she even have one?)
4. Ryota Mitarai (though we can speculate that his NG is important in some way)

3 has good reason and 2 is not relevant since we can safely guess that Monaca was probably being truthful; which leads me to wonder if we will ever see Gozu's, and whether his NG is significant. I think it's very possible that we could clean something from his NG, but it's just as possible that it won't ever come up.

anigif_enhanced-5369-1453120285-8.gif

FStubbs

Ok, time for my thoughts:

1 - I had always believed Mikan's beloved was Junko, but she's pretty much locked away with Mitarai at this point. Hmm. Both of them are probably in Despair at this point.
2 - Which makes me wonder if the Imposter ever really fell to Despair. There's something more here.
3 - I'm not sure if Izuru has actually killed anyone yet. (I don't count the chain saw guy as a kill.) Best money is still on him killing Chiaki somehow but that might be too obvious.
4 - If Chiaki isn't dead, she has to be the missing 13th squad head at this point. She may even be on Jabberwock island with the other class 77 members.
5 - More Chiaki: When will she meet Chihiro? This may happen next episode if she decides she needs to hack into Hope's Peak Academy's records to find Hajime. If Junko showed the picture of Izuru on her Closing Argument, Chiaki would know Izuru was Hajime right away.
6 - Speaking of which, the Closing Argument was brilliant.
7 - Junko is chewing the scenery at this point. She's owned this show since she arrived.
8 - Which makes her comments in SDR2 "you guys are just side characters who will move to the background when the important people show up" so very true.
9 - So who is the mastermind in the Future Arc? There are still so many ways it could go, and almost everyone who's been killed could have faked their deaths (see dead Makoto in Killer Killer). Honestly, the only WTF wow twist would be if Juzo were the mastermind. You can make a case for Chisa, Mitarai, Chiaki (please no!), Junko herself, the Imposter, Tengan, Koichi, Nagito, Gozu, Ruruka, and even Munakata. (You could still make one for Monaca but it's probably not likely at this point.)

With Junko, it was a little earlier that they hinted at it - disregarding the hint at the beginning of the game - but it was an easy hint to miss in episode 5.

What was the hint at the game's beginning? Was it Mukuro's claim that her photos were all photoshopped?

h0tp0ck3t

Ok, time for my thoughts:

1 - I had always believed Mikan's beloved was Junko, but she's pretty much locked away with Mitarai at this point. Hmm. Both of them are probably in Despair at this point.
2 - Which makes me wonder if the Imposter ever really fell to Despair. There's something more here.

What if Ryota is really the Remnant and Imposter is the one in the Future Foundation? I mean all we ever saw in DR 2 was the personality they loaded into the Neo World Program, they could have put Ryota in thinking he was the Imposter and gave him Imposter's pre Junko memories

FStubbs

What if Ryota is really the Remnant and Imposter is the one in the Future Foundation? I mean all we ever saw in DR 2 was the personality they loaded into the Neo World Program, they could have put Ryota in thinking he was the Imposter and gave him Imposter's pre Junko memories

Wouldn't Kyoko realize that when Mitarai showed up at Future Foundation?

Oh I forgot one.

- Junko's crazy eyes analysis. Seeing everything, every possibility, her pupils moving quickly and independently of each other - just like Juha Bach from Bleach.

Luigi87

What was the hint at the game's beginning? Was it Mukuro's claim that her photos were all photoshopped?

Generally the Photoshop comment (which also lets one ignore that "Junko"
Mukuro
has freckles, but her magazine shots don't. Also when Mukuro is killed her shocked reaction (specifically after you know the truth you can see her being shocked in a completely different light).

I'm also reminded how the series always likes to have little hints.
When Monokuma first appears in SDR2, he basically opens with "Hey guys! Long time, no see!" At first a player may think it's just a fourth wall break, but once you know the truth of that game's cast, it completely changes the meaning of that introduction.

h0tp0ck3t

Wouldn't Kyoko realize that when Mitarai showed up at Future Foundation?.

I don't know I mean his ultimate talent is deception. And they only met for like 5 seconds before everything went down

Edit: derp scratch that. Yeah surely they would have met before the killing game she's a branch leader

Taruranto

Last episodes really shifted my interested in the two animes, I must say.

At first I wasn't much into the Future anime, the cast looked ridiculous, while I was very interested in Despair side, I wanted to see how the DR2 cast fell into despair and their actions. (I never really like how DR2 essentially shied away of that)

But now? Mirei-Hen is one that is legitimate interesting to me, I want to see the culprit and his/her complex motives exposed, and the cast has been reduced by size allowing a more focused narrative.

Zetsubou-hen on other hands, ever since Junko was introduced it feels like the writers are going through a checklist more than anything. Things just happen regardless how much sense they make. I guess I should have expected it, I never really like DR world-building outside of the fist novel.

GreyDaise

Neo Member
So, question: does anyone remember if we've seen Daisaku Bandai's body after Great Gozu's death? I have a couple of theories that bank on this, and I can't remember.

I'll go back and look through the episodes later. Just wondering if anyone remembers off-hand. (And if you do remember seeing his body, in what episode.)

h0tp0ck3t

So, question: does anyone remember if we've seen Daisaku Bandai's body after Great Gozu's death? I have a couple of theories that bank on this, and I can't remember.

I'll go back and look through the episodes later. Just wondering if anyone remembers off-hand. (And if you do remember seeing his body, in what episode.)

I wanna say it was there when Munakata drove his sword through Chisa's corpse in Future 6 I think?

GreyDaise

Neo Member
I wanna say it was there when Munakata drove his sword through Chisa's corpse in Future 6 I think?

OK, thank you, I'll take a look later (when I have access to that episode). If we do see his body, then both of my theories are probably bunk. They could still work, but they'd be a lot more convoluted.

Is Ryota actually in despair right now? He hates going outside and only ever wants to work on his anime. Now Mikan is there taking care of his health, Imposter is covering for him and the Despair Sisters are making sure he gets whatever he needs. People have viewed the rough draft of his anime, his life's work, and absolutely adore it. He never has to leave and can stay doing what he loves. He may fall to despair later, but I don't think he's there right now. Maybe I'm forgetting something?

Luigi87

Dunno how I missed that, amazing.

Also to comment on people saying that Junko and Mukuro shouldn't have been there...

There are 13 members of the student council.
Add in Izuru, Junko, and Mukuro and the number becomes 16.

And of course every mutual killing event has had 16 participants.

pbayne

Future 7(Ultra Despair Girls 2)

Meh, felt like a very pointless/fill some time episode really. Also the end revelation sort of undermines the whole killing game so far right?
(that Naegi's and co have had no real threat of being killed so far?)

Despair 7

Nagito ass+Junko=10/10, would watch again.

FStubbs

Future 7(Ultra Despair Girls 2)

Meh, felt like a very pointless/fill some time episode really. Also the end revelation sort of undermines the whole killing game so far right?
(that Naegi's and co have had no real threat of being killed so far?)

Despair 7

Nagito ass+Junko=10/10, would watch again.

Junko brags about how awesome her ass is in one of the games.

That was pretty dumb, especially the killing room thing, super disappointed that after all the build in in DR1 that was all it amounted too.

Both of DR's arc's episodes this week were super weak.

MANUELF

Banned
Dunno how I missed that, amazing.

Also to comment on people saying that Junko and Mukuro shouldn't have been there...

There are 13 members of the student council.
Add in Izuru, Junko, and Mukuro and the number becomes 16.

And of course every mutual killing event has had 16 participants.

Actually there were 14

It's possible that Ryota is an unwitting mastermind. So here is my guess:

Koichi Kizakura is the mastermind
Great Gozu is the muscle
Ryota Mitarai is the unwitting conspirator
Nagito Komaeda is the chessmaster

I'll consider myself a failure if even one of these isn't true

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom