• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi87

It's possible that Ryota is an unwitting mastermind. So here is my guess:

Koichi Kizakura is the mastermind
Great Gozu is the muscle
Ryota Mitarai is the unwitting conspirator
Nagito Komaeda is the chessmaster

I'll consider myself a failure if even one of these isn't true
Too bad you already have a tag. Could have been the Super High School Level Failure.

FluxWaveZ

You know, one simple thing I never thought about until now, but which makes complete sense within the Danganronpa world:

Makoto's not just the diametrical opposite to Junko in terms of abilities just by being the Ultimate Hope. He did defeat her with his talent of "Ultimate Hope" overcoming "Ultimate Despair," but there's also the fact that Makoto's inherent ability is "Ultimate Luck." This is just like how Junko's inherent talent is "Ultimate Analyst."

From its very nature, luck (in the way DR portrays it) is beyond the grasp of logic and analysis. The complete opposite of "analytical": it's totally unpredictable, but will benefit the person with that talent somehow. Makoto doesn't just outright beat Junko by being Hope, but by being lucky, too.

Finally read DR0.

Mukuro is an underrated actress, big difference Junko disguise and her normal self.

Yasuke's death, talk about kicking a man while he's down and pooring salt in the wounds.

Ultimate spy would get along great with Teruteru....... in prison.

Not sure why people before were talking about Chisa being the monokuma maid, she seemed to be just another random reserve course student like all the other people in that hideout wearing monokuma masks.

FStubbs

You know, one simple thing I never thought about until now, but which makes complete sense within the Danganronpa world:

Makoto's not just the diametrical opposite to Junko in terms of abilities just by being the Ultimate Hope. He did defeat her with his talent of "Ultimate Hope" overcoming "Ultimate Despair," but there's also the fact that Makoto's inherent ability is "Ultimate Luck." This is just like how Junko's inherent talent is "Ultimate Analyst."

From its very nature, luck (in the way DR portrays it) is beyond the grasp of logic and analysis. The complete opposite of "analytical": it's totally unpredictable, but will benefit the person with that talent somehow. Makoto doesn't just outright beat Junko by being Hope, but by being lucky, too.

Interesting point, but what about Nagito?

Finally read DR0.

Mukuro is an underrated actress, big difference Junko disguise and her normal self.

Yasuke's death, talk about kicking a man while he's down and pooring salt in the wounds.

Ultimate spy would get along great with Teruteru....... in prison.

Not sure why people before were talking about Chisa being the monokuma maid, she seemed to be just another random reserve course student like all the other people in that hideout wearing monokuma masks.

We thought for certain Mikan's beloved was Junko. Now it's iffy. There was a chance Chisa would end up being the maid, but with DR0 happening very soon, the only way I see Chisa being the maid is if she's infiltrating the reserve course trying to get at the mastermind.

Ultimate Spy might have known Teruteru, they're both year 77. Scary indeed.

Yasuke knew what he was doing. He was on Team Despair and paid for it.

I can't decide if Ryoko was a sweetheart or a yandere (at the end anyway). And it was interesting Makoto didn't recognize her.

Hasn't it been implied that every one of the remnants stayed behind on the island? It feels a bit too much a stretch to believe Nagito managed to orchestrate everything while under heavy supervision there.

Well, chessmaster implies that you can do it from anywhere at anytime. We do have to remember that Nagito was absolutely plotting something in between 1 and 2 - I doubt that his plot lives and dies based on whether Monaca decides that hope vs. despair is neat. With the significance that Nagito has been given in this anime - and with a through-line existing between the Future Foundation and Jabberwock Island that would allow Nagito access were he to have survived - I doubt that he's not going to be important (to note, he is to date the only character besides Izuru who is typically anchored in Despair to show up in Future in some fashion). So if you look at it that his plot following AE was to create the DR3 killing game, it is perfectly reasonable.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Despair 7
Mitarai animating Danganronpa confirmed(joke). This episode is meta as fuck. He use the same font as the future arc title card for THE END part, the color changing and subliminal message that also been applied in the opening.
The mutual killing remind me of Battle Royale movie opening, they even throw in several shout out to it.

Note: Hopeman fanservice scene is 10 out of 10

Red Frost

Banned
Well, chessmaster implies that you can do it from anywhere at anytime. We do have to remember that Nagito was absolutely plotting something in between 1 and 2 - I doubt that his plot lives and dies based on whether Monaca decides that hope vs. despair is neat. With the significance that Nagito has been given in this anime - and with a through-line existing between the Future Foundation and Jabberwock Island that would allow Nagito access were he to have survived - I doubt that he's not going to be important (to note, he is to date the only character besides Izuru who is typically anchored in Despair to show up in Future in some fashion). So if you look at it that his plot following AE was to create the DR3 killing game, it is perfectly reasonable.

Wasn't he just plotting to get captured and thrown into the neo world program with the other remnants?

Speaking of Nagito, I think it's interesting that he's really the only remnant that's seen with some semblance of control in their despair forms rather than a wild animal like the rest of them. I mean he's obviously still very much a broken person, but he was from the beginning.

Theodoricos

It honestly seemed like the
class killing
happened way too quickly. Barely a minute had passed and they just started
going crazy and murdering each other in the most horrific ways possible
? There should've been way more of a build-up to this scene, it didn't feel like it had any weight, nor did it really make sense. I'm disappointed that this is the answer to the mystery of that one classroom in DR1.

Rich!

class killing
? There should've been way more of a build-up to this scene, it didn't feel like it had any weight, nor did it really make sense. I'm disappointed that this is the answer to the mystery of that one classroom in DR1.

Because Karen couldn't deal with her secret getting out

CqupR-qW8AIc5Hp.jpg

CqupUEhWgAALlqf.jpg

CqupVQ-XEAALFdc.jpg

class killing

To be fair, it's a mystery that already got answered in DR0 and alluded to in SDR2. We just hadn't seen it first-hand until now.

Interesting point, but what about Nagito?

We thought for certain Mikan's beloved was Junko. Now it's iffy. There was a chance Chisa would end up being the maid, but with DR0 happening very soon, the only way I see Chisa being the maid is if she's infiltrating the reserve course trying to get at the mastermind.

Ultimate Spy might have known Teruteru, they're both year 77. Scary indeed.

Yasuke knew what he was doing. He was on Team Despair and paid for it.

I can't decide if Ryoko was a sweetheart or a yandere (at the end anyway). And it was interesting Makoto didn't recognize her.

Naegi did recognize her, she asked if he knew her before she became forgetful and he said yeah. Ryoko was a legitimately good person, that's what makes the despair so much better when she "dies" and Junko comes back.

Red Frost

Banned
Naegi did recognize her, she asked if he knew her before she became forgetful and he said yeah. Ryoko was a legitimately good person, that's what makes the despair so much better when she "dies" and Junko comes back.

I don't know if I'd call her a "good" person. She gave no shits about anyone that wasn't Matsuda, and was for the most part indifferent to the Madarai deaths she caused. That being said, she wasn't actively malicious. It shows that Junko wasn't born into despair as she claimed, thought the revelation about her boredom caused by her analytical abilities also males that clear. Seems if she legit had a handicap like constant memory loss, she wouldn't become the evil sociopath we all know.

I don't know if I'd call her a "good" person. She gave no shits about anyone that wasn't Matsuda, and was for the most part indifferent to the Madarai deaths she caused. That being said, she wasn't actively malicious. It shows that Junko wasn't born into despair as she claimed, thought the revelation about her boredom caused by her analytical abilities also males that clear. Seems if she legit had a handicap like constant memory loss, she wouldn't become the evil sociopath we all know.

good is probably too strong, her coping mechanism is what's mostly responsible for her "indifference"(she cares but she pushes things to the back of her mind until she forgets) to bad things happening(and for her extreme obsession with Yasuke), some of it is also Junko coming out little by little.

Permanently A

Hmm, with all the weirdness about Ryota, I just realized that we never saw Imposter's red eyes, just the goggles. Is it possible Imposter actually never fell into despair and was just pretending to?

Red Frost

Banned
The recent episode got me thinking about how fascinating Junko is, not just as a character but her place in the overarching narrative as well.

She dies in the series very first entry while our knowledge of her is still murky, yet we learn just how terrible of a person she is in every subsequent work where each one makes her out to be worse than the last.

In DR, she's clearly an evil malicious sociopath as Monokuma and is allegedly responsible for the end of the world, a revelation that happens while she's being a wacky Joker type character. Then in Zero, we see just how dedicated she is to despair by killing her boyfriend gruesomely, the first direct act of violence from her in the series. Then in 2, we get more information on the tragedy, unambiguously placing her in the "mass murderer" category while also learning of her talent for manipulation and torture. Then in Despair Girls, we learn her plans included the direct merciless slaughter of A LOT of children, even if she wasn't super committed to the plan in the first place. And now in 3, we're actually SEEING her torture methods while giving us the most gruesome segment in the entire franchise with no remorse, almost directly addressing the audience with a "this is fucked up, right?" by making her sister sing to make it extra brutal from soundtrack dissonance.

And the kicker to all this is she's been dead since 2010. That satisfaction you get from seeing an awful villain die horribly? It already happened, and arguably in the least satisfying way possible as there's no way to give Junko a "taste of her own medicine". Inflicting the same degree of despair that she inflicted on all her victims would just make her happy. It's both genius and incredibly frustrating.

Wasn't he just plotting to get captured and thrown into the neo world program with the other remnants?

Speaking of Nagito, I think it's interesting that he's really the only remnant that's seen with some semblance of control in their despair forms rather than a wild animal like the rest of them. I mean he's obviously still very much a broken person, but he was from the beginning.

But what of his plan with Monaca? That was not related to the New World Program, so it should be evident that he is either:

1. Creating a contingency, should the Despair's plan for the New World Program fail
2. Going into the New World Program with the intention of making Despair's plan fail

I simply cannot abide that he isn't involved in some way; if he isn't, then he basically just shrugged and just didn't. :p Ultimately, it doesn't sit well with me that his role in Goodbye Despair was a pawn. Time and time again, he has shown that he is above (most of) the Remnants of Despair - he is smarter, he is more cunning, he is more dangerous. For all of what the Remnants of Despair are doing, he's literally trying to create Junko TWICE. The scenario of 3 is that two hopes are clashing, and that does not seem to be accidental - so doesn't it stand to reason that if anyone is setting up a battle of hopes, it would be the one who wants it the most?

Oh, and we also need to consider that Nagito has been shown to directly indirectly influence things. After all, he caused someone to blow up a building because he chose the wrong medicine, doesn't it make sense that he, through no direct actions, caused this killing game?

Aside from a traitor being among the survivors, another possibility is that one of the three creators is responsible for leaking the information.

Chiaki Fujisaki
Yasuke Matsuda
Miaya Gekkogahara

Miaya is mastermind?

ChrisD

Juzo is proving to be a total fucking failure as head of security in despair arc

He also had a rather large part in getting Hajime to go through with the Izuru program with the whole 'you're worthless' talk.

So not only does he suck at his job, he also had a large part in the downfall. What a swell guy!

Though I'm sure Junko would have found a way to cause The Incident regardless, Izuru most certainly made it easier on her.

NEO0MJ

That was pretty dumb, especially the killing room thing, super disappointed that after all the build in in DR1 that was all it amounted too.

To be honest nothing could ever live up to expectations. I liked that they kept it a secret a what sort of event triggered world collapse in DR1.

Hmm, maybe I should amend my previous theory about Junko lying about Despair = Possibility. Maybe she genuinely believed that before the Human History!Tragedy, but I think once she had destroyed the pre-ordained 'hope' of the Hope's Peak system, she concluded that despair would ultimately consume humanity and just wanted to double down on that.

I think it's a more interesting position than simply concluding despair is the 'natural' state of human beings; it almost seems like she sees despair as 'liberating' people from the false consciousness that society impose on them.

Perhaps there's actually a little Nagito in her though; going off one of the last lines from DRO. Perhaps by creating an Ultimate Despair and shattering the false hope of Hope's Peak, she can create a 'True' hope, that disrupts the order of things even more than her despair.

Paltheos

That was pretty dumb, especially the killing room thing, super disappointed that after all the build in in DR1 that was all it amounted too.

Both of DR's arc's episodes this week were super weak.

The Despair one is ok though I'm not very satisfied by it either. The Future arc episode this week is super lame though. A whole episode that could have just been boiled down to a couple sentences:
1) Monaca's not the mastermind (probably, which we were already pretty sure was the case); 2) One of the original cast will die (maybe, according to a speculatively reliable source).
The rest of it is just fan service, and the 'status update' shots of Munakata and Kyoko only serve to remind us that nothing's really happened on those fronts for a while. Feels disjointed. I'm glad we didn't get a shot of Hajime in there too.

Because Karen couldn't deal with her secret getting out.
Holy shit lol

With everything that we know so far, what do you guys think the "It will break if you see" line in the Despair opening is making reference to? Chisa being the Monokuma Maid? I think it's safe to assume it has something to do with her, especially since her obscured sillhoute comes right after that, but, with Kodaka, you never now.

Rich!

Holy shit lol

With everything that we know so far, what do you guys think the "It will break if you see" line in the Despair opening is making reference to? Chisa being the Monokuma Maid? I think it's safe to assume it has something to do with her, especially since her obscured sillhoute comes right after that, but, with Kodaka, you never now.

I think Izuru is good and he organizes a comedown of the despair crew via the NWP.

I really hope "It will break if you see" ends up being a real holy shit reveal for this series (like 999's dual screens), it'll be quite disappointing if it just ends up just being some random Engrish. At the moment I feel like it might be something to do with Mitarai's anime.

NEO0MJ

It occurred to me how funny it is that we finally got the asshole/sadistic big person in this killing game. Unlike past examples he seems almost too eager to kill others,specially since he wanted to choke the guy with glasses instead of quickly killing him via other methods which is why he met his end. I love that the first thing he said was along the lines of "Don't worry, I'll protect you!" before gutting the girl next to him.

Tecl0n

It occurred to me how funny it is that we finally got the asshole/sadistic big person in this killing game. Unlike past examples he seems almost too eager to kill others,specially since he wanted to choke the guy with glasses instead of quickly killing him via other methods which is why he met his end. I love that the first thing he said was along the lines of "Don't worry, I'll protect you!" before gutting the girl next to him.

And using her as a projectile to deal with the long range opponent. Gotta give props to that quick thinking.

Despair 7

>someone insults anime
>TRIGGERED

Lmao at the focus on Junko's ass and boobs when Ryota's explaining the brainwashing process. But it's an interesting technique. Maybe that's how Junko gets 2000+ to suicide at the same time?

"First anniversary of Nagito's death" oH GOD I think I can accept this fanservice. Good for you Kodaka. The scene between Kazuichi and Teruteru and then the bear biting both of them has probably been the funniest in the anime so far, but maaaaan 7 episodes so far and everyone's pretty happy. I can't see how Junko will make them fall into despair.:/

Do we really need that Mikan scene everytime she's relevant? Gosh. Waaaaaaait don't tell me Junko will end up using the brainwashing anime for the DR2 cast?. Please please please don't do that Kodaka, that'd be super lame and dissapointing D: All that hype to watching Junko persuade them one by one reduced to nothing.

"Kill each other or be killed by me" BOOOOO That's not how Junko operates. At least their designs look cool, though I don't see anyone that looks particularly like the Council President. The kid that was planning to kill Junko and Mukuro was smart (of course Mukuro would totally evade them and kill him but since they didn't know it was pretty smart), but yay once again it's thanks to a crazy chick that the killings start. Oh God oh God oh God oh God oh God oh God my stomach hurts just from watching all of that. Ugggghhhh. That scene with the guy killing the girl he liked, and then killing the couple that way because he didn't want them to have "love" ending he didn't have X_____X

I suppose that crazy guy is the president? I'm glad that Junko was in fact lying about Izuru killing anyone.
Well nevermind x_x .... but Izuru at least didn't kill him on purpose. Junko explaining her plan to blame Izuru and make the Reserve Course students mad like in the games Hajime/Naegi does was excellent. Ah, so the president was the nice guy from the beginning who told everyone to remain calm. Welp, since when Junko becomes Ryoko the Reserve Course students are still alive I assume we're getting some Zero content.

No. The recent Future episode is pretty much all we'll see of them; Another Episode: Episode 2 is finished.
We might see Junko learning about Monaca's connection to the Towa Foundation and approaching Monaca and the other kids, but I don't really see a big reason to do so. At least not a huge amount of screen time, although they could pop up very quickly. There's still a lot of more important ground to cover, and there's not a whole lot that needs to be explored there.

Plus this episode was dedicated to wrapping up everything involving the Warriors of Hope, so it's not really necessary to explore them more.

If we see anything else, it'll likely be Monaca in a flashback covering more of what Nagito was doing during his time after AE up to Chapter 0 of DR2.
Yeah you guys are right about that. We're 7 episodes in and so far none of the students have become UD. I still wish we could have gotten more content about the kids and Despair Girls if there were more episodes in the anime. Just feel like there's more to explore. Still hoping to see if in the last episode they'll show what's up with Haiji since then, what'll happen with the Monokuma kids and the Monokuma bots now that Monaca isn't controlling them, what's up with Hagakure's mom or any of the relatives of the DR1 cast, etc.
Because Karen couldn't deal with her secret getting out
LOL

FStubbs

Are you certain this is all we'll see of Komaru? I figure the opposite - she's effectively in the game now as "Gekkogahara". And with that in place, if the bracelets activate again, she'll be in position to see who is killing who.

Heads-up! Unfortunately Danganronpa 3 Future Arc episode 8 video materials were delayed from Japan and will not launch at the usual time!

Our teams are working quickly to battle the delay, and new launch estimate is Tues @ 9:00p C!

We apologize for the inconvenience and promise to get your episode to you as soon as possible!!

Cq_mC37XgAY04_b.jpg

There will be another Funimation delay this week.

I cant wait for the next episode of Despair, i havent read Danganronpa 0 so Im excited to see it animated

I don't think we'll see it animated, especially with only 5 episodes left. I'm expecting something similar to the Twilight Syndrome Murder Case, where we see the lead-up and immediate fallout to events we already know about. Maybe some new scenes with Ryoko, but there's a lot left to cover.

You should definitely read Danganronpa Zero, it's worth it.

Are you certain this is all we'll see of Komaru? I figure the opposite - she's effectively in the game now as "Gekkogahara". And with that in place, if the bracelets activate again, she'll be in position to see who is killing who.

We will probably see more of Komaru and Toko through the Miaya-bot, unless they can't figure out how to control it properly or trip the NG Code and cause it to explode or something.

Damn, Kodaka is really commited to this meta stuff.

The spoilers will get nasty really fast, especially if we get a follow up on the Future!Izuru business.

another delay....

let's see I got through UDG when ep 7 got delayed.

Then I read through DR0.......what else is left?

Is that Killer Killer manga finished? is it even translated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom