• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Community Thread: Thrills! Chills! Kills! Despair!

Has nothing been stated previously or is it just that no one knows? Might have to go back and compare some stuff myself if it hasn't been stated, then.

It's definitely still Amanda C. Miller. I compared a buncha sound clips from both games, and aside from Toko not stuttering as much in AE the delivery sounds identical to me.

FluxWaveZ

It's definitely still Amanda C. Miller. I compared a buncha sound clips from both games, and aside from Toko not stuttering as much in AE the delivery sounds identical to me.

Really? I haven't gone and compared yet, but you might be right. It's not just the stuttering that sounds different to me from what I remember, but there was something much more manic about how DR1 Toko delivered her lines. Interesting.

Really? I haven't gone and compared yet, but you might be right. It's not just the stuttering that sounds different to me from what I remember, but there was something much more manic about how DR1 Toko delivered her lines. Interesting.

It's probably just cuz she talks down to Komaru a lot, and as a result her voice sound more confident and aloof. She still slips back into the old intonation sometimes, mainly in her fantasies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Danganronpa The Animation hitting DVD/Blu-Ray on Nov. 11th. There's a commentary on Ep. 1, but seems to just be the show sub & dub plus clean OP & ED.

Prelude.

So, I just realized this is most likely the last time we'll hear japanese Monokuma with his original voice. It's pretty sad.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Tried asking Funimation on their twitter, not sure if I'll get a response, but knowing them, it shold be the director's cut since they always aim for the uncensored/uncut version or whatever when they can.

Also noticed there seems to be a version for a few dollars more with a special cover & an "exclusive collectible clipboard". Compared to the other version which is the cover of the JPN DVD box for Vol. 1.

....also both are DVD/Blu-Ray combos. I'd rather save the money & just get the Blu-Ray version.

I do have to ask for those that finished it.

AE chapter 1 spoilers:
please tell me the other executions aren't as underwhelming as Masaru's.

jonjonaug

this question confuses me a bit, but cutscenes aren't subbed, there's no option for subtitles either

There's supposed to be DLC that introduces a Japanese audio option, isn't there? It would be a bit pointless if the numerous cutscenes weren't subbed.

Shizuka

There's supposed to be DLC that introduces a Japanese audio option, isn't there? It would be a bit pointless if the numerous cutscenes weren't subbed.

I'm hoping with the DLC comes the option of enabling subtitles, even if the subtitles only appear if you choose the japanese dub.

Ponn

Banned
You know what Ultimate Despair is? These GODDAMN F%CK#%G BULL$#!T HAMSTER LOVIN LOGIC DIVES!!!!! I hope whoever came up with this damn minigame burns in a million hellfires from the devas of dark destruction!!

Vylash

Logic Dive is awesome, the only thing i didn't like was the new Panic Talk Action, i never got the hang of that

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Logic Dives were............there. I didn't mind them, but I wouldn't really miss them if they didn't return either. What exactly did you not like about them?

& I've already made it clear on my opinion on how much I hate "Improved" Hangman's Gambit a few times here & anytime DR2's minigames are brought up.

Logic Dive is awesome, the only thing i didn't like was the new Panic Talk Action, i never got the hang of that
Took me the 2nd trial to realize instead of mashing the buttons over & over, you just hold & release for as long as you need, which in theory makes it easier instead of tapping the buttons over & over, but it could've been explained better. I probably just got a hang of it faster because I'm a rhythm game fan.

I think I recall the explanations of the DR2 minigames were poorly worded for the most part, & I could've sworn it was an issue in the DR2 OT because people would constantly ask "How do I do this slicing minigame" or "I don't get this new Panic Talk Action, it's not the same as DR1's.". Heck, I think I had to ask/read some of the posts to fully understand the slicing mini-game.

Logic Dive was bad. Just make it like Ace Attorney 5's Revisualization; I don't need the surfing crap.

This. If I am not mistaken, DR2 predates AA5 in Japan by a year, so maybe they'll change it to something like that.

But seriously, many of the changes in the minigames were just for the sake of change ("Improved" Hangman) or for stylistic choices (Logic Dive) than gameplay improvements.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
First time dub will been available. For some reason, Funimation waited like a year or two after the anime's release (I could've sworn they announced the dub cast after DR2's release) to dub it & they only got Papenbrook to come back as Makoto. Everyone else is played by someone different.

First time dub will been available. For some reason, Funimation waited like a year or two after the anime's release (I could've sworn they announced the dub cast after DR2's release) to dub it & they only got Papenbrook to come back as Makoto. Everyone else is played by someone different.

Yeah, I remember reading that he was the only returning voice actor, but after finally playing it in English for the first time, I don't mind it.

Unless somehow its even worse.

SOLDIER

Got a question that I'm hoping someone here can give a clear answer to: I've been given the opportunity to cover Another Episode for Vita, but I've only played through the first Danganronpa. I am told there are heavy spoilers for the 2nd game as well that I would potentially ruin if I jumped into AE first.

However, what I wanted to know was whether those D2 spoilers are presented immediately at the start of AE, or if they occur later on in the game.

I'm considering taking up the offer and play through it to the point where I feel I can formulate a solid opinion of the game, but then refrain from getting further into it to avoid D2 spoilers. Unless it turns out the spoilers happen early on that this would be impossible, in which case I would have to think it over.

Got a question that I'm hoping someone here can give a clear answer to: I've been given the opportunity to cover Another Episode for Vita, but I've only played through the first Danganronpa. I am told there are heavy spoilers for the 2nd game as well that I would potentially ruin if I jumped into AE first.

However, what I wanted to know was whether those D2 spoilers are presented immediately at the start of AE, or if they occur later on in the game.

I'm considering taking up the offer and play through it to the point where I feel I can formulate a solid opinion of the game, but then refrain from getting further into it to avoid D2 spoilers. Unless it turns out the spoilers happen early on that this would be impossible, in which case I would have to think it over.

There's a pretty massive character spoiler for 2 right in the prologue.

FluxWaveZ

To be fair, though, that same character spoiler is revealed pretty early in DR2, if it's what I think you mean. If it's something else, then I don't think it's a thing one would be able to understand until they got to that reveal in DR2.

I think playing through DR2 will give you a better understanding of certain things in DR:AE that you'll be missing out on. Reading DR Zero could be seen as more "important," though, since it does a lot to give context to what is going on with the world. Basically: I think one could cover DR:AE without having played DR2 just fine, but there are certain elements they'll be missing out on, at least where I'm at so far.

There are some... things about DR:AE I'll be interested in hearing people discuss.

Edit: Actually, scratch that. Should have known to not underestimate Danganronpa; I'm impressed by something the game addresses.

Vylash

don't touch this game until you finish 2, period

also can someone please help me figure out who Komaru's english VA is? at first i thought it was Julie Maddalena, then i thought it was Cassandra Morris, then Christine Marie Cabanos, now i don't even fucking know

don't touch this game until you finish 2, period

also can someone please help me figure out who Komaru's english VA is? at first i thought it was Julie Maddalena, then i thought it was Cassandra Morris, then Christine Marie Cabanos, now i don't even fucking know

My ears are telling me that she's voiced by Cherami Leigh. Her opening monologue in particular sounds just like the voice she used for Patty in Soul Eater.

SOLDIER

Is that the only thing?

Again, if I were to cover it, it would be my hope I could play enough (say 4 hours or more) without going too far into mega spoiler territory.

If it turns out it's wall-to-wall D2 spoilers then I guess I'll have to refrain from covering it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Got this email:

"As a reminder, Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls releases on the 1st of September! Please note that we will begin the billing process for Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls (Standard/Limited Edition) on the 25th of August, so if there are any required changes to your billing or shipping information, please notify us as soon as possible."

2 more weeks....

jonjonaug

Is that the only thing?

Again, if I were to cover it, it would be my hope I could play enough (say 4 hours or more) without going too far into mega spoiler territory.

If it turns out it's wall-to-wall D2 spoilers then I guess I'll have to refrain from covering it.

I'm not fully aware of the plot going in, but from what I understand it sorta is. Part of the setup of the game to begin with spoils some reveals (not major ones) in DR2. But later in the game
a major character in DR2 makes an appearance
, and the ending relates to it.

To be fair, though, that same character spoiler is revealed pretty early in DR2, if it's what I think you mean. If it's something else, then I don't think it's a thing one would be able to understand until they got to that reveal in DR2.

I don't know, I really don't think someone who hasn't played 2 should see said character's role in the prologue here.

Is that the only thing?

Well, there are definitely spoilers that you wouldn't know are spoilers until the end of 2. Still, that character one is pretty big imo and would make portions of 2 less enjoyable even if it wouldn't ruin everything.

That being said, I'd hardly call 4 hours enough to review the game anyway.

This game is basically a twisted version of Kids Next Door.

Gonna throw out some light speculation (currently in the beginning of chapter 3).
Haiji is totally Izuru based on the hair. Also, I'm not convinced the kids that have been executed are dead, which sucks because not only do they deserve it but it means the executions will all be this samey bullshit :(

This game is basically a twisted version of Kids Next Door.

Gonna throw out some light speculation (currently in the beginning of chapter 3).
Haiji is totally Izuru based on the hair. Also, I'm not convinced the kids that have been executed are dead, which sucks because not only do they deserve it but it means the executions will all be this samey bullshit :(
that's how I felt during 1 and boy was I wrong.

I dont like your user name. I wan a blizzard now

FluxWaveZ

I'm trying to think back to the most brutal/disturbing scenes throughout the Danganronpa series prior to DR:AE because of some content in that game.

Sexual (DR2 spoilers):
The implication (in the English localization, at least) that people were having intercourse with Junko's corpse. Other than that... can't think of much besides short fanservice moments with Aoi and Mikan.

Violence (DR2 + DR1 spoilers):
Nagito's death was probably the most brutal looking. Some of the executions had some pretty nasty implications, even if they weren't graphic.

At its core, it was already a series about teenage kids killing each other in messed up situations created to intentionally evoke as much despair as possible. But, DR:AE definitely addresses certain topics in ways that will bring about certain conversations that weren't as touchy as DR1/DR2/DR0.

Shizuka

In 2013, I finished Danganronpa and had no one to talk about it. Last year, I finished Danganronpa 2 and had no one to talk about it. I'm glad I introduced my boyfriend to Danganronpa ever since and he went crazy for it, it's been fun talking to him about my theories and having someone knowledgeable responding to them.

OniBaka

I'm glad I introduced my boyfriend to Danganronpa ever since and he went crazy for it.

Lucky you, I got no one to talk to about it as most my friends are mainly into dudebro stuff and would never touch a visual novel no matter how much I convince them.

Bladenic

Finished the first game, WOOHOO loved it. Will start 2 asap.

I do have some questions or maybe it is things they deliberately left unexplained. But one thread they oh so barely seemed to set up but nothing came about was
Makoto using Sayaka's catchphrase "I'm psychic jk i have good intuition"
right at the end of case 1. Wonder if anything happens with that.

FluxWaveZ

But one thread they oh so barely seemed to set up but nothing came about was
Makoto using Sayaka's catchphrase "I'm psychic jk i have good intuition"
right at the end of case 1. Wonder if anything happens with that.

You're definitely thinking way too hard about that one. It was just a sad reference by Makoto
in memory of Sayaka, to show that she truly touched him.

I've finished Danganronpa: Another Episode. Looking forward to seeing people talk about it.

Bladenic

You're definitely thinking way too hard about that one. It was just a sad reference by Makoto
in memory of Sayaka, to show that she truly touched him.

I've finished Danganronpa: Another Episode. Looking forward to seeing people talk about it.

Oh right. I thought it was some sort of PTSD/adopting the personality or whatever.

So is the gameplay for Despair Girls good?

Bladenic

Most of us with review copies can't really say anything because embargo. There's impressions all over the place though since it's been out in Japan for a year.

True true, I'll look stuff up. Frankly I don't care because I want to see the story and characters but still curious. It is canon right?

In regard to Another Episode's gameplay (no AE spoilers whatsoever within, just tagging in the interest of those who want to go in without expectations):

I'd say that at worst the gameplay is a tad bit frustrating (there's one type of challenge room I just couldn't get the hang of for the life of me), and is at best pretty clever and unique. All in all it's never intrusively bad, like some DR1/2 trial minigames are, which I consider a respectable enough achievement. The game is very forgiving, at least on the default difficulty, which is what I played on. That being said, I don't feel that one would miss out on much playing on Genocider Mode, which gives you infinite use of the invincible Genocider. The puzzle segments stand pretty far above the action segments, and aren't affected by that difficulty change as far as I know.

I came into the game expecting a pretty janky and frustrating mess and was pleasantly surprised. Not necessarily itching for more gameplay, but for a game that I primarily played for the story and setting, I couldn't really ask for all that much more.

And yes, the story is canon.

Top Bottom