• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Community Thread: Thrills! Chills! Kills! Despair!

So I called Best Buy and after over an hour and four people I am told that it doesn't show backordered on their end, yet it does on mine. No help on when it might ship. No nothing. Congrats on everyone else on getting your games. I don't even know when or if I'll get it.

Sorry, everyone. Just needed to vent a bit.

N° 2048

I'm so stupid, I think I spoiled DR2.

Does knowing who is on the cover of Despair Girls spoil the traitor from DR2? Because I'm pretty sure I saw a certain someone
who had died in the first chapters of DR2.

Spoiler free reply please :p

Prelude.

I'm so stupid, I think I spoiled DR2.

Does knowing who is on the cover of Despair Girls spoil the traitor from DR2? Because I'm pretty sure I saw a certain someone
who had died in the first chapters of DR2.

Spoiler free reply please :p
In this cases it's usually better not to ask and just keep it for yourself not knowing if it's a spoiler or not/if it means what you think it means/if it's actually true. Knowing if something is a spoiler is a spoiler per se.

Like, for example, I got spoiled on the fact that

DANGANRONPA 2 HUGE ENDGAME SPOILER DON'T EVEN QUOTE THIS OR YOU'RE GONNA SEE IT HOLY SHIT
it was VR. The spoiler was just that, some asshole wrote "It's VR" and it was kinda impossible to not read. But even knowing that, I didn't know the implications of it, if death was permanent or not, what was actually VR or if that was even true and not just some dumb fuck making stuff up so, in the end, it was a pretty big spoiler but not as bad as it could have been. But at least I learned that I should never visit certain places near release or while playing a game like that.

N° 2048

In this cases it's usually better not to ask and just keep it for yourself not knowing if it's a spoiler or not/if it means what you think it means/if it's actually true. Knowing if something is a spoiler is a spoiler per se.

Like, for example, I got spoiled on the fact that

That's so true. By asking I'd actually possibly ruin it. I had to use a paper to cover your quote haha. Can't wait to finish DR2 tomorrow.

FluxWaveZ

That's so true. By asking I'd actually possibly ruin it. I had to use a paper to cover your quote haha. Can't wait to finish DR2 tomorrow.

I'm not sure you're even referring to DR:AE's actual box art, because there's literally nothing there that resembles anything that could be a spoiler for DR2 unless you're taking a magnifying glass and trying to overanalyze it.

N° 2048

I'm not sure you're even referring to DR:AE's actual box art, because there's literally nothing there that resembles anything that could be a spoiler for DR2 unless you're taking a magnifying glass and trying to overanalyze it.

I've pretty much been avoiding anything DR:AE but I thought I saw something that would spoil it. I think I'm just too excited and assumed.

Glad nothing was spoiled, heh.

I don't even know what the gameplay is for DR:AE, I just heard it's not like DR1 and DR2 :)

Prelude.

Umm holy fuck. Some dark shit in the end of DR2.

Someone had sex with Junkos dead body to try to have babies?

Some people think it's a mistranslation and it's supposed to be that, iirc,
someone got her uterus implanted
. Not sure if we ever got a confirmation.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Some people think it's a mistranslation and it's supposed to be that, iirc,
someone got her uterus implanted
. Not sure if we ever got a confirmation.

Given that the pic shown was a man's hand if I recall, maybe the english is right? The other makes sense too and either is pretty disturbing in it's own way, anyways.

So I had an interesting pickup this week. Walked into the Seattle Kinokuniya after a PAX break and found a Danganronpa guide book. Came with a Monokuma canvas bag as a goodie, so I picked it up. I was lazy with reading the title (as I am lazy when reading Japanese...) and figured it was a fanbook for the anime. Nope! Apparently it's a fanbook for Junko full of fashions and whatnot in it! Kind of a surprise but it's a pretty neat goodie :)

I'm still tempted to get the DR artbooks, but I still feel like Udon may release them one day at domestic prices (and in english). I'll keep waiting...

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Happy Danganrompa day friends!

My copy comes in the mail today. Today! Today is a good day.

Prelude.

Given that the pic shown was a man's hand if I recall, maybe the english is right? The other makes sense too and either is pretty disturbing in it's own way, anyways.
It'd fit with the theme of the Ultimate Despairs getting parts of Junko's body. Nagito got her arm and (probably) Fuyuhiko got her eye.

But anyway, we have people that played the japapanese release here, no? Someone could tell us what's the literal translation.

IMG_20150901_235731_zpsdfzc0snb.jpg

Let's do this!

Just finished Chapter 2 of DR2. Such sad endings thus far compared to DR1's endings to a trial.

They really cranked up the despair.

Prelude.

Yep, DR Zero was cool.

The reveal is kinda confusing though, it's written in a way that feels a little too "physical" to get immediately what's going on.

Also, I really wish there was a game on Mukuro, she never gets enough screen (or page?) time as her real self. I guess that's the point, but still, I like her character.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Yep, DR Zero was cool.

The reveal is kinda confusing though, it's written in a way that feels a little too "physical" to get immediately what's going on.

Also, I really wish there was a game on Mukuro, she never gets enough screen (or page?) time as her real self. I guess that's the point, but still, I like her character.

Well, IF was fun too with showing off more Mukuro. At least they got to show off her character in some way. Too bad she died off way too soon :/

Prelude.

Well, IF was fun too with showing off more Mukuro. At least they got to show off her character in some way. Too bad she died off way too soon :/

Yeah, I liked IF too, apparently she can only be relevant in an alternate reality. :(

By the way, what other novels or similar have been translated? I've seen several works like DR Kirigiri or Makoto Naegi's worst day ever, I'd be fun to read more stuff like this.

FluxWaveZ

Absolute garbage. I hate IF so so much, I can't help but state it when it comes up in conversation.

Yeah, I liked IF too, apparently she can only be relevant in an alternate reality. :(

By the way, what other novels or similar have been translated? I've seen several works like DR Kirigiri or Makoto Naegi's worst day ever, I'd be fun to read more stuff like this.

There's DR IF and (DR:AE spoilers)
the Yasuhiro novel.
Unfortunately, I think that's it.

Prelude.

Absolute garbage. I hate IF so so much, I can't help but state it when it comes up in conversation.
What's so wrong with it? I thought it was a fun little read.

the Yasuhiro novel.
Heh, I know which novel is in AE, I seriously hope that's not a big spoiler on the game itself since I didn't even get my copy yet. Don't tell me though.

FluxWaveZ

What's so wrong with it? I thought it was a fun little read.

I have pretty much the opposite opinion. It started off alright, and I definitely liked it conceptually as a
"what if" scenario
, but the execution was as poor as it could have been.

It was very poorly written and came off exactly like a wish fulfillment fanfic from someone with "shipping" tendencies who couldn't let go and whose writing style is, "and then this happened, and then this, oh and then this!"
The way Monokuma battles were described was the worst. Like the genre of Danganronpa completely shifted into some weird battle manga, with its story having become a romantic drama?

The freaking
escape button
didn't even actually factor into the story except for
"electric shock,"
which was ridiculous.

No good at all. Just like how Zero made me anticipate future stories in the DR world, IF made me question whether it was all downhill from there, especially in regards to AE.

the Yasuhiro novel.

Actually, there's also a complete translation of the Beautiful Days book in Tumblr, but I believe that wasn't written by Kodaka. As far as I know, the main line is composed just by the games and DR0.

FluxWaveZ

Actually, there's also a complete translation of the Beautiful Days book in Tumblr, but I believe that wasn't written by Kodaka. As far as I know, the main line is composed just by the games and DR0.

Ah, I only read it as official translations for some reason. Good to know that fans have translated more of the extra DR material, though.

Wow, that spoils almost everything.

Kodaka stated that was the case in an interview with Kotaku.
Do you have a link?

And watched that trailer again, Monokuma, Byakuya,and Sayaka's voices I'm not really digging. Hina is whatever. Celeste can only be an improvement. Whatever, though. I'll still buy it and watch it.

Do you have a link?

And watched that trailer again, Monokuma, Byakuya,and Sayaka's voices I'm not really digging. Hina is whatever. Celeste can only be an improvement. Whatever, though. I'll still buy it and watch it.

link

Regarding the voice acting, I prefer NISA's dub and wish that they all could've reprised their roles. But I'm not a huge stickler, and will end up buying it regardless.

link

Regarding the voice acting, I prefer NISA's dub and wish that they all could've reprised their roles. But I'm not a huge stickler, and will end up buying it regardless.
I was reading somewhere that they decided to bring this over at the same time nisa was bringing the game over and makoto was the only one cast in the game so that's why he's the only one from the game in the animation.

Whether or not that is true, who knows?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I would assume because Papenbrook already works with Funimation on dubs & they probably didn't want to bother with flying everyone to Texas to reprise their roles on an anime that isn't that big of a name compared to their more profitable stuff.

NISA is located in California, though I don't know if that's where they did the recordings (I assume it is).

The first game DID have a little flyer promoting the anime, so maybe there's some truth behind it? *shrugs*

Also WHY WOULD YOU SPOIL EVERYTHING IN A SHOW/GAME ABOUT GUESSING THE MURDERERS/WHO'LL DIE NEXT.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Also WHY WOULD YOU SPOIL EVERYTHING IN A SHOW/GAME ABOUT GUESSING THE MURDERERS/WHO'LL DIE NEXT.

Bad marketers :/ Need to make something like that vague so it draws the consumer in, but interesting enough that you want to find out what happens.

FluxWaveZ

Danganronpa 3's official announcement is imminent. I don't know how the previous games in the series were marketed, but hopefully they're smart enough to not show too much of that game. For this series, one small thing can be incredibly significant.

Jakku

Danganronpa 3's official announcement is imminent. I don't know how the previous games in the series were marketed, but hopefully they're smart enough to not show too much of that game. For this series, one small thing can be incredibly significant.

I'm so excited, its almost definitely getting some kind of trailer at the Sony conference at TGS.

If I remember correctly the promotional material for 1 in japan completely spoiled the punishment victim for the first case like it does in the opening, but the victim of that case itself was kept as a ruse, and was on posters and stuff centre stage.

GSR

Well, you can take a look at the debut trailer for DR2 to get an idea.

FluxWaveZ

Well, you can take a look at the debut trailer for DR2 to get an idea.

That wasn't bad at all, cool. I have to imagine DR3's debut trailer will have a very different format, though, since DR2's seemed to basically be a gameplay overview/walkthrough. I would expect DR3's to look like a modern Ace Attorney game's trailer.

Edit: Though looking at other DR2 promotional material, it seems the danger comes from when one's being too analytical about what they contain. Then again, my current knowledge might be coloring it, so maybe the quick scene flashes won't be a problem going into a new game.

Edit 2: But, oh man, now that I think about it, just knowing new mechanics could be a bit of a spoiler. It was a really cool surprise when I was playing DR2 without any knowledge of it and a rebuttal happened during the first trial. Was not expecting that at all and it was a really cool moment.

GSR

For what it's worth the initial DR2 announcement was even lighter on details, only having the setting, counterargument mechanic, and art (no names) for Hajime, Chiaki, Akane, and Togami. (Apparently a lot of the early DR2 material suggests Akane was going to have a larger role in the game...?)

Of course with how the franchise has grown since then I'd be very surprised if they didn't announce alongside a fairly fancy trailer, but they seem to know not to spoil too much. Alternatively you could look to DR:AE's final trailer to get a feel for how much they feel like revealing, but I imagine they felt a little freer with AE since it wasn't a murder mystery.

Kinsei

Banned
link

That bit about Chiaki is interesting. Hopefully he decides not to make a main heroine again cause Chiaki is awful.

Top Bottom