• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Community Thread: Thrills! Chills! Kills! Despair!

Just a FYI, billing for AE LE from the NISA store starts happening tomorrow.

Won't say which one, but I can't wait to hear what you think of a certain chapter.

idk but I'll find out soon enough. I'm streaming my adventures on Twitch (same as GAF name). Also I better beat this quick, cuz looks what's awaiting for me at the deadly horizon:

C8CFtZ7.jpg

yeah;

so when should I read Zero (and the other book) .. after 2, before AE?

Actually, the release order is DR>DR0>DR2>DR:AE

Still, the most you would lose by playing Danganronpa 2 before reading Zero are some neat references to characters of the novel and some backstory, but the story of DR0 is pretty self-contained. I'm not sure about DR:AE as I need to wait until its NA release, but maybe there are some references to DR0 too.

If you like the series though, it is an obligatory reading. It doesn't hurt that it contains one of my favorite character dynamics in the franchise to date.

FluxWaveZ

I'm not sure about DR:AE as I need to wait until its NA release, but maybe there are some references to DR0 too.

Hm... guess I can't really address this yet 'cause of the embargo. For now, I'll just say that I would recommend it, because DR0 certainly informs a lot about the events in DR:AE, as background info.

Soon.

PaulBizkit

ALRIGHT !!

I've just finished DanganRonpa 1. DEAR LORD, what a great game! the story, the twists, the characters.
I started it not knowing ANYTHING, i just knew it was a visual novel and that junko enoshima and "that weird bear" where from there. I had no idea

This game was amazing and everybody says DR2 is better. Now i need to unlock the other endings, see what i missed, etc.

these games need to be on a more popular console. Maybe a DanganRonpa HD Collection on PS3 or PS4...

Anyways, since i've only beaten this game. I guess i need to read Danganronpa Zero.

EDIT: what can i do in the game
after i complete the main story? are there other endings?

FluxWaveZ

0 was released before 2? I'm surprised, knowing that it has spoils for 2. Well that is, hindsight after you beat 2.

This is also why I would argue that DR:AE doesn't actually spoil DR2. If anything, it acts as an interesting precursor if one plays it before DR2 because of certain scenes.

Reviews are starting to go up, so someone could post a review thread. I'll link mine when it's published, too.

What the hell, I didn't know that reviews for Another Episode had already dropped. How unceremonious was that!

81 so far. Way better than I was expecting for a spin-off that plays completely differently from its mainline ilk.

0 was released before 2? I'm surprised, knowing that it has spoils for 2. Well that is, hindsight after you beat 2.

Pretty much. Obviously, as it came after the first game, it is the only thing it has open spoilers for. Including a giant, flashing sign picture that screams "I'm the mastermind" in the first page.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Just noticed a pending charge on my LE. Oh man, this final week of waiting...Hopefully NISA will ship them early. They're usually rather fast, as I've gotten my previous LEs in about 2ish days after release.

tookhster

I got my LE for DR2 on release day, and I was expecting it to arrive like a week late judging from everyone's experience with NISA's store in the past. It was the best surprise, I hope the same will happen on Sept. 1.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
This is also why I would argue that DR:AE doesn't actually spoil DR2. If anything, it acts as an interesting precursor if one plays it before DR2 because of certain scenes.

Yeah I can't wait to play it and see how it would work out if you actually played in chronological order. I feel like there will be some tie-ins with 0 though, as you can already see hints of it in the opening movie.

My card charged for the LE. As much as I want to play it immediately, I was hoping I would get some projects done before it shipped >_> Looks like I'll have to push some aside for it...

Flunkie

Banned
Chapter 2's premise was really dumb but the ending to the trial ended up ok.
actually felt kinda sorry for Fukuhiro and Peko by the end when they realized...]

N° 2048

Was thinking meh, then came the end of chapter 3, shit is goooooood. Danganronpa 2. Probably going to finish it by Monday.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
You guys and your spoilers and me holding back from clicking it :x I really hope it comes in soon! How long abouts is AE supposed to be? (main game, not planning on platinuming it or anything).

FluxWaveZ

You guys and your spoilers and me holding back from clicking it :x I really hope it comes in soon! How long abouts is AE supposed to be? (main game, not planning on platinuming it or anything).

Depends. There are a bunch of collectibles which I would suggest anyone who's playing should look out for and try to go out of their way to collect, because they have interesting tidbits about the world and characters anyone playing DR:AE would probably be interested in (unfortunately, the process of going to get them sucks). If you don't go out of your way to get them and if you don't care about doing well in puzzle rooms, it's probably 15-17 hours. If you do care about those two things, it's probably around 20 hours (which is what it took me).

There's also something after the game that is 1-2 hours long which anyone who played through will probably want to do.

So uh... For those of you who played Despair Girls with spoiler tags I wanna see the dub voice acting for when... DON'T CLICK THIS SHIT IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS.
Nagito makes Genocider Sho/Jill attack Komaru
so what chapter did this happen on? So I can find it on YouTube.

Shizuka

So uh... For those of you who played Despair Girls with spoiler tags I wanna see the dub voice acting for when... DON'T CLICK THIS SHIT IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS.
Nagito makes Genocider Sho/Jill attack Komaru
so what chapter did this happen on? So I can find it on YouTube.

Chapter 4, if I'm not mistaken.

Bladenic

I finished DR2 today. I'm extremely ready for Ultra Despair Girls, a third game, and gonna read DR0. Might go for platinum in 2 as well.

Comparing 1 to 2:

Music: 1, only because I prefer the free time and especially the incredible investigation music. 2 still had great themes though, but a lot of reused music too. Loved the 8 and 16 bit renditions in 2.

Cast: gonna give the edge slightly to 1 because I much prefer the survivors in 1.
Akane was alright but she was basically a combination of Hina and Yasuhiro, namely big tits and dumb as shit. Loved Sonia and Fuyuhiko (I also really hope Fuyuhiko is the one who cut out his eye for Junko's), but Kazuichi seemed terribly "just there."
On the other hand, I may give a slight edge to the overall cast of 2 due to
them being ultimate despairs. Mikan's insane behavior and devotion to Junko was so creepy. Nagito was a pretty great villain, and creepy as shit.

Executions: definitely 1. The third case execution in 2 was the worst in the two games. And 2 just felt less inventive minus case 5, which was amazing.

Story/plot: this one's really tough, but I may give it to 2. Some of the stuff is just insane. I wasn't crazy
about the virtual world twist, though in the end they handled pretty well and I got behind it.

Imagery/creepiness/DESPAIR: DR2, hands down. The imagery is so much more creepy. Standouts being
Nagito showing his true self in chapter 1, the chapter 3 murder video, and of course NAGITO WITH JUNKO'S ARM

Even so, not sure which I would give the overall lead to. I loved both a lot. One question:
did the writers totally forget that Junko was seemingly crushed to death? There shouldn't have been anything left of her body.

And finally,
JUNKO FUCKIN' ENOSHIMA
may be my new favorite villain in a long time. Just perfect.

well, this blows. was wondering why UDG hadn't shipped since it said i'd get it buy release date, checked best buy order status, fucking backordered.

this sucks.

much despair.

but the thing is, i can order it right now and choose release date shipping.

Top Bottom