• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Community Thread: Thrills! Chills! Kills! Despair!

FluxWaveZ

That bit about Chiaki is interesting. Hopefully he decides not to make a main heroine again cause Chiaki is awful.

Unfortunately for you and me, it seems a lot of people really liked her. I agree, though, Chiaki was terrible, and it's apparent when many people can point to her for worsening one of the best cases in Danganronpa.

For what it's worth the initial DR2 announcement was even lighter on details, only having the setting, counterargument mechanic, and art (no names) for Hajime, Chiaki, Akane, and Togami. (Apparently a lot of the early DR2 material suggests Akane was going to have a larger role in the game...?)

Of course with how the franchise has grown since then I'd be very surprised if they didn't announce alongside a fairly fancy trailer, but they seem to know not to spoil too much. Alternatively you could look to DR:AE's final trailer to get a feel for how much they feel like revealing, but I imagine they felt a little freer with AE since it wasn't a murder mystery.

DR1 & 2 trailers weren't too bad, unless you sat and analyzed them. If you just watch them once or twice, they aren't too bad. The initial trailers were good at concealing a lot of details outside of introducing characters and settings.

Regarding AE, they shared more with those trailers, but I agree that the gameplay, lack of a murder mystery element and the huge shakeup for the audience was a big motivating factor in what they showed.

Really looking forward to the upcoming announcement.

That bit about Chiaki is interesting. Hopefully he decides not to make a main heroine again cause Chiaki is awful.

Chiaki was super popular, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if we had another character like her.

It'd be the ballsiest move but maybe no Monokuma? I can't imagine a Monokuma without Nobuyo Oyama.

As long as this series is around, there will be Monokuma. He's too popular to dump, and he's basically the mascot of Danganronpa. But I agree that it is sad that Nobuyo Oyama won't voice him anymore. I always stuck with the English dub, but I enjoyed hearing her voice Monokuma in clips.

AE spoilers:
The credits even indicate that Monaca is going to continue with the Monokuma motif in the future, so he isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

D-Man

It'd be the ballsiest move but maybe no Monokuma? I can't imagine a Monokuma without Nobuyo Oyama.

They probably won't dump him completely since he's the mascot of the series, but I am kinda worried that he'll somehow be put into the sidelines for DR3 because of Ms. Oyama.

It sucks too since Monokuma is one of my favorite characters in the series.

Bladenic

Unfortunately for you and me, it seems a lot of people really liked her. I agree, though, Chiaki was terrible, and it's apparent when many people can point to her for worsening one of the best cases in Danganronpa.

What are you referring to? I'm assuming Case 5? But how did she worsen it?

FluxWaveZ

What are you referring to? I'm assuming Case 5? But how did she worsen it?

Even by people who like her, it's been a common sentiment I've seen that
Chiaki's perpetual hinting and hand-holding across literally every single DR2 case affected case 5's in particular because of how fundamentally terrific it was, and how exacerbated her input became during that one (probably due to how it revolved around the "traitor" and because it was leading to her "death," causing the writers to want to focus on her even more). An intentionally convoluted case created by the most terrifying and insane among the cast had its impact lessened by Chiaki, who wouldn't let the player figure things out on their own as she would constantly push things forward.

Bladenic

Even by people who like her, it's been a common sentiment I've seen that
Chiaki's perpetual hinting and hand-holding across literally every single DR2 case affected case 5's in particular because of how fundamentally terrific it was, and how exacerbated her input became during that one (probably due to how it revolved around the "traitor" and because it was leading to her "death," causing the writers to want to focus on her even more). An intentionally convoluted case created by the most terrifying and insane among the cast had its impact lessened by Chiaki, who wouldn't let the player figure things out on their own as she would constantly push things forward.

I do agree with that, and actually the character you're referring to did the same thing for a lot of the other cases too. It felt way more nudge nudge than in 1, where Naegi was meant to figure stuff out on his own a lot more.

Edit: I suppose 1 had Kyoko in that role, but not to the same degree, it felt like to me anyway.

PK Gaming

Chiaki is pretty much my favorite DanganRonpa character, but even I can admit that
she takes away from the tension found in cases by being overly competent. There's this thrill when Hajime (i.e you) comes up with a conclusion to drive the case forward, but Chiaki sort of undermines it by going "yeah, I figured that out too. Also consider this..." She was fine in the first case, and stellar in case 2, but she definitely leads the way in latter cases, and is straight up grating in 5. The most triumphant and exhilarating moment in that case is when Hajime (i.e you) figures out that Nagito tampered with the fire extinguishing bombs, but he doesn't figure out what that means... Chiaki does. That kinda dampened my hype for the case, haha.

But with all that said, she more than makes up for it in the final case, her free time events are great, and even though she's clearly designed to be the "waifu" character, I found her to genuinely likable. I just wish they leaned more on her cheesy "I can't believe you didn't catch my reference" gamer Persona, rather than maker her a significant force during the trials.

jonjonaug

I never felt that bothered by Chiaki's interjections, but that might be because the difficulty of Dangan Ronpa 2's cases are generally a lot higher than in DR1. When Kyoko or Togami step in to explain stuff in the first game it's like "yes, yes, I was getting to that, I've known that for like two hours now", but in DR2 when Chiaki says stuff she'll often fill in a bit of a gap in my line of thinking or at the very least say something I'd only just recently figured out.

EDIT: A lot of the time when Chiaki figures stuff out, she's figuring it out along with Hajime (and hence the player) too. It's not as egregious as DR1 where Kyoko or Togami literally know all the details of the first two cases from two minutes of looking at the scene and just wait for Naegi to figure it out.

EDIT 2: To put it in terms of another video game franchise, DR1 felt like having two Klaviers while DR2 felt like having one Mia Fey.

Ooh a community thread. I need to read through this.

Quick question. I'm replaying the first Danganronpa, what the hell was the deal with Sayakas "intuition"? Thought that got old the first time I played it and now revisiting it it's pretty annoying again.

Kinsei

Banned

Quick question. I'm replaying the first Danganronpa, what the hell was the deal with Sayakas "intuition"? Thought that got old the first time I played it and now revisiting it it's pretty annoying again.

I just figured she's really psychic.

PK Gaming

I never felt that bothered by Chiaki's interjections, but that might be because the difficulty of Dangan Ronpa 2's cases are generally a lot higher than in DR1. When Kyoko or Togami step in to explain stuff in the first game it's like "yes, yes, I was getting to that, I've known that for like two hours now", but in DR2 when Chiaki says stuff she'll often fill in a bit of a gap in my line of thinking or at the very least say something I'd only just recently figured out.

EDIT: A lot of the time when Chiaki figures stuff out, she's figuring it out along with Hajime (and hence the player) too. It's not as egregious as DR1 where Kyoko or Togami literally know all the details of the first two cases from two minutes of looking at the scene and just wait for Naegi to figure it out.

EDIT 2: To put it in terms of another video game franchise, DR1 felt like having two Klaviers while DR2 felt like having one Mia Fey.

Byakua ends up being completely off base
in cases 4, 5 and 6 and directly impedes case 2
. He's absolutely not comparable to Kyoko or Chiaki. As for Kyoko, even if she knows things in advance, she's reluctant to give out info, giving the player ample time to figure things out for themselves, or discover new angles in a case. You're right though, there's an obvious rapport between Hajime and Chiaki, but it varies from great to intrusive at times.

She's good at reading people. Don't read too much into it.

Moonlight

Banned
I dunno, I liked that Chiaki figured (CH. 5 spoilers)
out what Nagito did a little before you did. To consider things from her perspective, this is where she realizes this is the end of the line, and she's just waiting for the other shoe (that is the rest of the cast) to drop. That she knows what's about to happen alters the context of a lot of what goes on between her and Hajime from that point forward. I think that works a lot better than Chiaki realizing at the same time as everyone else that she 'murdered' Nagito.

I mean... I dunno, I never thought Chiaki was any more good at her job than Kyoko was, and I felt she never got in the way of the huge breakthroughs in the cases when I played the game.

Random question that occured to me that I never get to discuss with anyone because let's be honest: how many danganronpa fans do you know in real life?

Does anyone else actually like Teruteru? He was my favorite character in the beginning, and I think when you find out more about him in the first trial it becomes apparent he has one of the more tragic back-stories out of the group. I also just loved his character design and english VA.

The perviness never bothered me, especially because I think it is a front for
The city boy act

Moonlight

Banned
Teruteru is underappreciated. His gimmick with the ladies is kind of intrusive, but he stands out as easily one of the best character designs in the DR franchise, and consistently funny beyond his pervert schtick.

Bladenic

Teruteru is underappreciated. His gimmick with the ladies is kind of intrusive, but he stands out as easily one of the best character designs in the DR franchise, and consistently funny beyond his pervert schtick.

I liked him way more than that trash Hifumi.

Moonlight

Banned
As many as they want to be told. I think it'd be nice for DR3 to provide a significant resolution to most of the current story threads, though. I think the best before date for de-legitimizing despair/the Remnants of Despair as a persistent threat has about one more full game left. After a certain point it'll get silly, but there would be directions you could go (and I expect them to go) elsewhere on the timeline either before or a fair bit ahead of the current place the story is at that you could set stories in.

FluxWaveZ

A time skip is an easy way to reset the status quo and make room for a different kind of conflict that would be conceptually similar to the previous games. The Ace Attorney 4 strategy.

Vylash

Danganronpa is a pretty big franchise, but they have to be careful not to drag things out too much, and I don't think we need more games set between each other, 1-2 games in the main story at most, and maybe they can branch out with some spinoffs in other genres like p4,though hopefully not those exact genres

Moonlight

Banned
Danganronpa is a pretty big franchise, but they have to be careful not to drag things out too much, and I don't think we need more games set between each other, 1-2 games in the main story at most, and maybe they can branch out with some spinoffs in other genres like p4,though hopefully not those exact genres
I'd kill for a DR fighting game, actually.

I'm replaying DR2, and on chapter 4, is there any significance to the
fun house's ogre statue besides being callback to the first game?

It just seems so out of place.

Prelude.

I'd kill for a DR fighting game, actually.
Reading DR Zero made me think about that, it'd be amazing. You can use the ultimate talent of almost everyone as their power and normal people like Makoto can use some stand-like thing like "Sore wa Chigau Yo!" bubbles or Truth Bullets. It could work.

How many more stories can be told in Danganronpa universe? I can see at least 2 maybe 3.

Yeah, I think really only 1 more with the current Ultimate Despair stuff. After that, I could see another storyline set way in the future with a similar focus on hope and despair, but with different rules and stuff (Kodaka did say he wanted one set in space with future technology).

Doesn't need to be another game, but I would like a novel or manga or something regarding stuff that happens after AE, but before 2. There's still a bunch of stuff that clearly happened, yet we don't know what.

Chihiro was involved with the Neo World Program's creation, right? He may have just thrown it in because he thought it would be neat to put a strong friend in there or something?

FluxWaveZ

Doesn't need to be another game, but I would like a novel or manga or something regarding stuff that happens after AE, but before 2. There's still a bunch of stuff that clearly happened, yet we don't know what.

Isn't there the possibility that
DR2 happens immediately after DR:AE?
(timeline)

PK Gaming

It's just a neat cameo, but I suppose it also doubles as minor foreshadowing for the identity of the Future Foundation. It was clearly placed there to honor her memory.

Isn't there the possibility that
DR2 happens immediately after DR:AE?
(timeline)

AE is 6 months after DR1 while 2 is a year after 1.

It's clear some shit went down in Towa City after the AE credits rolled. It's assumed the remnants of despair were captured there, and with 15 of Junko's closest comrades in one place, it's hard to imagine they went down without a fight. Then there's the fact the adults vs kids conflict isn't even over, and while she likely escaped the city by the time 2 started and may have been completely inactive while she was there post-AE, Monaca is still on the loose.

With the amount of potential material we have, there could be an entire sequel to AE alone.

Edit: Huh, I'm actually not finding info on when DR2 takes place in relation to 1 and AE beyond "after them". I vaguely remember hearing it was a year after 1, but it looks like I'm wrong. The point still stands that more stuff happened after AE and before 2, though.

FluxWaveZ

Edit: Huh, I'm actually not finding info on when DR2 takes place in relation to 1 and AE beyond "after them". I vaguely remember hearing it was a year after 1, but it looks like I'm wrong. The point still stands that more stuff happened after AE and before 2, though.

Hm, I'm not sure I see that. There's the part where I don't think I'd be too into another game set in a destroyed Towa City (even less a sequel to AE) but, in regards to DR2, I could easily see
DR:AE taking place almost immediately after AE, while all of the ending set-up hasn't really shifted from the status quo once DR2 is over. Like, basically it's "the Warriors of Hope are still alive, fighting for their lives," "Monaca is doing something," "the adults are still fighting for their lives and Haiji is bummed out.

The only thing I could see would be the capture of
the Remants of Despair (though, where was it said they were located in Towa City before DR2?), but there wasn't much of a conflict there since they gave themselves up to initiate the Junko revival plan.

the Remants of Despair (though, where was it said they were located in Towa City before DR2?), but there wasn't much of a conflict there since they gave themselves up to initiate the Junko revival plan.

AI Junko in the wheelbarrow alluded to the remnats of despair being lured to Towa City by the conflict. Besides, both Nagito and Izuru are still there, so Future Foundation would have to step in at some point to capture them, unless they did just turn themselves in for the sole purpose of smuggling the AI into the Neo World Program.

How many more stories can be told in Danganronpa universe? I can see at least 2 maybe 3.

I could see 2-3 more. Potentially more depending on whether or not they want to do more spin-offs in different genres. They just have to find the right balance so it doesn't drag things out too much.

Hm, I'm not sure I see that. There's the part where I don't think I'd be too into another game set in a destroyed Towa City (even less a sequel to AE) but, in regards to DR2, I could easily see
DR:AE taking place almost immediately after AE, while all of the ending set-up hasn't really shifted from the status quo once DR2 is over. Like, basically it's "the Warriors of Hope are still alive, fighting for their lives," "Monaca is doing something," "the adults are still fighting for their lives and Haiji is bummed out.

There's also
Nagito taking the time to groom Monaca into being Junko 2.0. Although, even he admits that he might not have that long to tutor her. I'd say DR2 probably takes place soon after where AE leaves off pre-credits. However long it takes the Remnants to gather/get captured and hooked into the Neo World Program.

Either way,
I doubt there's going to be another game set in that time and I think we're mostly done with Towa City. The way the ending was written reminded me of DR2's ending. The characters were basically put in a place where they'll be busy and not needed for future stories, maybe only returning for the curtain call of the series. Perhaps some other light novels to explore what happened.

This may already be common knowledge, but I just found an easter egg in AE.
When you fight Shirokuma, if you hit him with a Dance Bullet first, he actually dances like Monokuma does in the intro for the anime:

XIpkr7I.gif

holy shit I agree with flux on something, chiaki sucks
more for her awful twist than anything else but still

So just finished AE. Not a terrible game, but come for the story and that's about it. However I am completely confused on how the timeline sets up the events for "The Tragedy." Let me see if I have it correct.

Spoilers for all games and all side-materials (novels, drama CDs, etc)

1) Junko was originally a normal girl (haha) who liked Madara and vice-versa before something (we don't know what) happened at some point in time (we don't know when) to cause her to fall into despair. Madara uses his ultimate power to cause her to have amnesia and become Ryouko Tachibana for a while out of his love for her.

2). During this time, a student at Hope Peak Academy (Izuru Kamekuma) is known as the "Ultimate Hope" (the original). However, Junko (actually Ikusaba) causes something to happen to him (we don't know what) that causes him to fall to despair and murder 14 other students at the academy. This gets covered up by the faculty and turns into "The Most horrible yadda yadda incident."

3) At the same time, in Towa city, the Towa group is working on developing bear robots (which they think are supposed to be friendly). However, they are actually being created as weapons of destruction. This is how Monokuma comes to be and be used by Junko as her avatar.

4) Ryoko converts back to Junko, kills Madara (and lots of the other members of the school) and starts setting up the events for the 78th class.

5) Dangan Ronpa 1

6) Dangan Ronpa: AE

7) Dangan Ronpa 2

I think I have that correct. Did I miss anything. One thing I noticed is that we still really don't know diddly about Junko and Izuru and what kind of people they were before they fell into despair. That could potentially be a story for another gaiden-styled game.

FluxWaveZ

1) Junko was originally a normal girl (haha) who liked Madara and vice-versa before something (we don't know what) happened at some point in time (we don't know when) to cause her to fall into despair. Madara uses his ultimate power to cause her to have amnesia and become Ryouko Tachibana for a while out of his love for her.

I'm going to address point 1 before reading on to the others, because I think you fundamentally misunderstood DR Zero and that character's motivations.
Junko was born into Despair. No tragic or dramatic event caused her to become how she is; she is despair. As it's explained in DR0, amnesia was completely and fully Junko's plan.

She wanted something that could selectively remove someone's memories, planning ahead for DR1. She thought what better way to test it out than on herself, so she created a plan and because Matsuda loved her so much (Madarai is the ultimate bodyguard, which is who I think you meant by "Madara"?), he reluctantly went with it. Junko's plan came about perfectly, leading up to the ending of DR0.

So just finished AE. Not a terrible game, but come for the story and that's about it. However I am completely confused on how the timeline sets up the events for "The Tragedy." Let me see if I have it correct.

Getting some names wrong there.
Ryoko Otonashi, not Tachibana. Also, Madara was the bodyguard octuplet dude. You're thinking of Yasuke.

2). During this time, a student at Hope Peak Academy (Izuru Kamekuma) is known as the "Ultimate Hope" (the original). However, Junko (actually Ikusaba) causes something to happen to him (we don't know what) that causes him to fall to despair and murder 14 other students at the academy. This gets covered up by the faculty and turns into "The Most horrible yadda yadda incident."

Actually
We know Junko was the one that captured the 15 students and forced them to kill each other in an actual Battle Royale (as opposed to a mystery one). Ikusaba may have enforced it on her sister's orders, but she was not the reason for it. There were two survivors, and we know for a fact that Izuru was not responsible for all of the remaining 13 deaths.

3) At the same time, in Towa city, the Towa group is working on developing bear robots (which they think are supposed to be friendly). However, they are actually being created as weapons of destruction. This is how Monokuma comes to be and be used by Junko as her avatar.

Sounds about right, though we aren't totally sure when this takes place during the timeline.

4) Ryoko converts back to Junko, kills Madara (and lots of the other members of the school) and starts setting up the events for the 78th class.

We don't know the method or if Junko was the direct cause of their deaths, but that's right for the most part.

I'm going to address point 1 before reading on to the others, because I think you fundamentally misunderstood DR Zero and that character's motivations.
Junko was born into Despair. No tragic or dramatic event caused her to become how she is; she is despair. As it's explained in DR0, amnesia was completely and fully Junko's plan.

We actually aren't 100% sure of that.
She seemed to always be succeptible to it, but we don't actually know if there was an event that threw her completely off the deep end. It's possible considering her sister was always in a warzone, and we still know very little about Junko's past beyond the sand castle thing.

FluxWaveZ

We actually aren't 100% sure of that.
She seemed to always be succeptible to it, but we don't actually know if there was an event that threw her completely off the deep end. It's possible considering her sister was always in a warzone, and we still know very little about Junko's past beyond the sand castle thing.

Without going into fan speculation and theories, that's just what has been presented and what Kodaka has stated, so that's the most straightforward explanation right now.

Without going into fan speculation and theories, that's just what has been presented and what Kodaka has stated, so that's the most straightforward explanation right now.

Oh, you might be right.

Now that I think about it, I believe Kodaka said he thought making a main villain with a tragic backstory or anything like that would be "cheating" and just went for someone with no excuse for it.

Top Bottom