• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc |OT| Hope vs Dis Bear ( ´º)

trinest

Vague spoilers for the first chapter:
I figured out what happened really quickly and really easily and was hoping it was a fakeout leading to an interesting twist, but no. I feel like I could have won that trial by standing in the middle of the room myself and immediately explaining everything to everyone before anyone else even opened their mouths. Basically the trial felt like a waste of time.

I'm guessing the chapters get more interesting as they go, but it really could have started stronger.

Isn't that the consenious that it is much easier to figure out the first chapter in the English version be it because of our cultural differences or launage then it is in the Japanese version?

Isn't that the consenious that it is much easier to figure out the first chapter in the English version be it because of our cultural differences or launage then it is in the Japanese version?

Chapter 1 spoilers below

Eh, I suppose it'd come more naturally to us, but it's not like they're not familiar with the roman alphabet. It seems natural to suspect that someone's dying message would be the name of their killer, so I'd imagine it'd still be pretty easy to figure out for Japanese speakers as well... but this is just the perspective of an English speaker.

Anyways, even as a tutorial chapter, I didn't like chapter 1. A lot of it probably had to do with how the characters responded to it. It did a pretty good job of jumpstarting my negative feelings towards Makoto as a protagonist at least, ahaha. The fact that nobody could figure the numbers out and it was treated as some crazy mystery... it just didn't work for me. As mentioned before, the first trial felt like waiting to bring it up and get it over with. It was disappointing that something so obvious ended up being the final, "decisive" piece of evidence. Also it didn't help that shortly after finishing Danganronpa, I played Ace Attorney 5, in which in its respective tutorial trial (minor spoilers for the first trial of that game follow)

there's a "dying message written in blood" used as evidence, but handled much better. While Case 1 is definitely the weakest of the trial sections, I feel as though in a way, it sets the tone for future trial segments and demonstrates the differences between the mysteries in this game and those of others, and why I don't feel they're quite as strong.

also i really like this game though

Roto13

The first chapter is pretty much a tutorial chapter. It's supposed to be easy.

It could be easy and still be interesting. Look at the first trials in Ace Attorney 3 and 4. It's easy to pick the right dialogue options and evidence, but it doesn't prevent interesting twists from happening and new evidence from being introduced all the way through.

It did a pretty good job of jumpstarting my negative feelings towards Makoto as a protagonist at least, ahaha.

Makoto is a dweeb. :p And a dwarf. Walk around the school and you're eye level with everyone's crotches.

Labrys

Makoto is a dweeb. :p And a dwarf. Walk around the school and you're eye level with everyone's crotches.

9LSeho4.png

true facts

...are you eye level with everyone's crotches in real life?

naegi is 5'3, that means everyone's crotch comes up to that height. awe inspiring.

Maybe he's very polite and kneels before speaking to people.

Maybe he doesn't want to look people in the eye before speaking and look at their crotches instead!

Labrys

i am now imagining him hobbling along the halls kneeling with his shoes on his knees

i want to believe that is what he does. what a giant nerd

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

.....I am here to find out more about the game and now I find that you folks are talking about crotches.

Huhhhhh. Hmmmm.

Sandfox

Japanese people learn English in school so I kinda doubt it.

Need to decide between this and Toukiden!

Still can't decide :eek:
This is shameful.

The answer is both. (Though Toukiden will almost certainly go on sale/be easier to find than DanganRonpa down the line. Plus, we need to put that full support behind more visual novels in the west.)

I feel like I don't even know you anymore. ;_;

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
This is shameful.

The answer is both. (Though Toukiden will almost certainly go on sale/be easier to find than DanganRonpa down the line. Plus, we need to put that full support behind more visual novels in the west.)

I feel like I don't even know you anymore. ;_;

Oh I'll get this and Toukiden both *eventually*, but I need to prioritize one over the other right now due to money issue :*(

My heart tells me this one first, but my head tells me Toukiden first.

Arrrrrrrrgh can't decide.

Labrys

if you buy this we have a higher chance of getting the sequel and any other additions brought over

which is a good thing

Oh I'll get this and Toukiden both *eventually*, but I need to prioritize one over the other right now due to money issue :*(

Another thing to consider is spoilers. You wanna go into DanganRonpa as fresh as possible, and the longer you put it off, the harder that will be. (Believe me, spoilers for this series are EVERYWHERE on the net.) I don't think anyone is gonna lose sleep over the plot of Toukiden.

But enough guilt trips from me. Follow your heart. (The fact that the Vita is actually getting multiple great games in such a short span is enough to make my eyes well up.)

Lemstar

How much do you hate spoilers? If it's not very, you might as well get Toukiden first for the big early multiplayer playerbase, especially since Danganronpa isn't exactly replayable and you might come across a cheap used copy once people are done with it.

So I randomly clicked on this thread thinking it was for a fighting game...Zero Escape and Phoenix Wright are two of my favorite series...

I wish those were in the thread heading instead of a joke, personally. The title of this game makes no sense and does it no favors. Will have to check it out now though. But these Japanese companies wonder why no one buys their games....wonder no longer!

AniHawk

So I randomly clicked on this thread thinking it was for a fighting game...Zero Escape and Phoenix Wright are two of my favorite series...

I wish those were in the thread heading instead of a joke, personally. The title of this game makes no sense and does it no favors. Will have to check it out now though. But these Japanese companies wonder why no one buys their games....wonder no longer!

there was one being pitched earier, 'zero escape: trials and tribulations", which i thought was pretty clever. i thought the dis bear thing could have been saved for a potential sequel.

I talked about this before, but it seems to be the case with a lot of people. Once they find out what this game is, they become instantly interested. At the same time, I think it is the responsibility of any "niche" gamer to do their best to stay up to date on the genre's latest offerings.

As for the OT title, there were some that alluded to the similarities to Ace Attorney and Zero Escape, but this one is also very clever IMO. (Dat pun.) The title of the game itself is fine I think, it has a catchy ring to it.

there was one being pitched earier, 'zero escape: trials and tribulations", which i thought was pretty clever. i thought the dis bear thing could have been saved for a potential sequel.
I was more partial to "Seek a Way Out of this Objectionable High School!" [/shameless plug]

ramyeon

I'm getting both day one but I'd say go for Toukiden. The online play will be best if you get in on it early and only die down later on down the track.

Famassu

Does Nippon Ichi's store take money straight away when one pre-orders or? I pre-ordered this in December but don't remember if they took the money from my account then (and can't find my key card to check it out).

Lemstar

Does Nippon Ichi's store take money straight away when one pre-orders or? I pre-ordered this in December but don't remember if they took the money from my account then (and can't find my key card to check it out).

No. (It's in their store FAQ.)

Squire

Banned
I really feel like the PWxZE comparison hype is going to result in quite a few people being let down.

I haven't played Zero Escape to get caught up in that comparison, but I always got the feeling people were referring to mechanics when they mentioned AA as well as Persona.

AniHawk

I really feel like the PWxZE comparison hype is going to result in quite a few people being let down.

it's a lot easier than ace attorney and a lot less of a mindfuck than zero escape, but i think it does what it does fairly well.

going in with those expectations should help everyone out a bit in case they were expecting crazytown bananapants. i still liked the characters though, and the music is cool. just started the post-game content and it seems interesting on paper, although i haven't gotten very far into it at all.

I haven't played Zero Escape to get caught up in that comparison, but I always got the feeling people were referring to mechanics when they mentioned AA as well as Persona.

Yeah, that's probably the most accurate way of saying it. It has the investigations and trials of AA, the premise, characterization, and visual novel aspect of ZE, and the social links of Persona.

That is to say, it takes the most inspiration from those components of those other games. It's still its own thing.

Ugh. I want to play this game so badly that I may actually buy a handheld for the first time in nearly 20 years. Two questions that are going to have a pretty major impact on my decision, which I'd be grateful for answers to:

1. Is watching the anime a worthy alternative to playing the game?

2. POTENTIALLY MAJOR SPOILERS IN THE BELOW. DO NOT CLICK OR QUOTE UNLESS YOU HAVE FINISHED THE GAME.
I inadvertently saw a piece of fanart recently which loosely suggested that Junko is the mastermind. Unless I get confirmation about whether she is or not, I'd be playing the game with it constantly in the back of my mind, which would greatly affect my enjoyment. Just looking for a straight yes or no here.
POTENTIALLY MAJOR SPOILERS IN THE ABOVE. DO NOT CLICK OR QUOTE UNLESS YOU HAVE FINISHED THE GAME.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
"1. Is watching the anime a worthy alternative to playing the game?"

I haven't seen the anime but for what i know it's literally the anime version of the game(it will spoil you everything), with the difference that the game is good while the anime is not.

Aytrial

The anime is a terrible adaptation of the game. It requires prior knowledge of the game to fill in a lot of the gaps. For example, game mechanics are also shoe horned into the animation, which will simply confuse a lot of anime-only viewers. Fans of the game may appreciate this, but it is poorly implemented.

Story-wise, it follows the game, but think of it as a cliff-note version of it.

2. POTENTIALLY MAJOR SPOILERS IN THE BELOW. DO NOT CLICK OR QUOTE UNLESS YOU HAVE FINISHED THE GAME.
I inadvertently saw a piece of fanart recently which loosely suggested that Junko is the mastermind. Unless I get confirmation about whether she is or not, I'd be playing the game with it constantly in the back of my mind, which would greatly affect my enjoyment. Just looking for a straight yes or no here.
POTENTIALLY MAJOR SPOILERS IN THE ABOVE. DO NOT CLICK OR QUOTE UNLESS YOU HAVE FINISHED THE GAME.

That would be a yes.

aravuus

someone was going to accidentally click this anyway

I think you shouldn't read this spoiler here but hey, you asked so here's the answer

(jesus christ don't read this after possibly reading ahb's spoiler)
that's a yes

e: fuck

Thanks guys. I didn't say it explicitly, but I couldn't really justify dropping £X00 on a Vita plus the game if I'd already had that particular piece of information semi-spoiled. So you've done my wallet a favour there.

Now to begin my crusade against fan-artists.

Lusankya

No, absolutely not. Play it or watch/read the Something Awful LP of it. http://lparchive.org/Dangan-Ronpa/

Technically that's a yes, but it's not as straightforward as you might think. I am pretty sure you would still greatly enjoy the game. There are also many other mysteries.

Prelude.

Thanks guys. I didn't say it explicitly, but I couldn't really justify dropping £X00 on a Vita plus the game if I'd already had that particular piece of information semi-spoiled. So you've done my wallet a favour there.

That's not the main plot twist, though. You can still go in with that piece of information and not knowing what's happening for the entire game.

Ugh. I want to play this game so badly that I may actually buy a handheld for the first time in nearly 20 years. Two questions that are going to have a pretty major impact on my decision, which I'd be grateful for answers to:

1. No, the anime is a pretty bad adaptation and misses a lot of nuances of the characters in the game. Also by buying this, you're supporting the sequel and eventual upcoming games DR games that are coming to the Vita.

2. No.

You can grab a Vita for pretty cheap nowadays, there's a ton of deals for them.

And sadly this is why everyone has been advised to avoid LITERALLY everything regarding Danganronpa on the internet over the next few weeks. Even an official figure that got released spoils
the same thing you've just found out
and I've seen someone floating around on GAF who either knowingly or unknowingly has an avatar which is a major spoiler itself. Regardless, I don't think you've had too much ruined - I had figured that out about halfway into the game and it's not actually as important as you might think.

Lusankya

And sadly this is why everyone has been advised to avoid LITERALLY everything regarding Danganronpa on the internet over the next few weeks. Even an official figure that got released spoils
the same thing you've just found out
and I've seen someone floating around on GAF who either knowingly or unknowingly has an avatar which is a major spoiler itself.

Where is that official figure?

I think I know which avatar you mean, but I don't think anybody who doesn't know the game will be spoiled by this.

Come on guys,
it's a no because junko we know didn't actually do anything.

Huge Spoiler, even for A Huge Battleship.
But it is Junko and A Huge Battleship will be supsicious of her anyway once she sees her getting killed by Monokuma.

Top Bottom