• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc |OT| Hope vs Dis Bear ( ´º)

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Thanks guys. I didn't say it explicitly, but I couldn't really justify dropping £X00 on a Vita plus the game if I'd already had that particular piece of information semi-spoiled. So you've done my wallet a favour there.

Now to begin my crusade against fan-artists.
Maybe you have a little misconception about Daganronpa, it's not a visual novel, it's like Ace Attorney with 999/VLR story + minigames.

If you play games only for the story then i guess you can watch the anime instead of buying the game, but it would be the same as looking the anime of a Ace Attorney or any other genre of game, you would know the story but playing the game is completely another thing.

Sadly i think i saw the same fanart but i'll buy the game at d1 anyway.

aravuus

Maybe you have a little misconception about Daganronpa, it's not a visual novel, it's like Ace Attorney with 999/VLR story + minigames.

If you play games only for the story then i guess you can watch the anime instead of buying the game, but it would be the same as looking the anime of a Ace Attorney or any other genre of game, you would know the story but playing the game is completely another thing.

Nah dude, it's a long game with lots of text, at least read a let's play of the game rather than watch the short anime. I read SA's onenronen's one and I loved it.

Also, both Dangan Ronpa and AA are considered visual novels by the majority.

Where is that official figure?
It's the EXTRA LARGE SPOILER WARNING
1/8th scale Junko Enoshima figure that came out a few months ago
. You can find it on pretty much any figure or import site at the moment so that's why I'm constantly warning people not to even browse for Danganronpa merchandise.

Lusankya

It's the EXTRA LARGE SPOILER WARNING
1/8th scale Junko Enoshima figure that came out a few months ago
. You can find it on pretty much any figure or import site at the moment so that's why I'm constantly warning people not to even browse for Danganronpa merchandise.

Ah, I see what you mean. I thought you meant official art published by NISA.
But yeah, if you don't know the story, never ever search for anything related to DanganRonpa or you will get spoiled.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
I have this pre-ordered, even though I don't know much about how the game parts are played.
I think I've seen the figurine people are discussing which kinda sucks if it means what I think it does, but I hope it doesn't ruin all my enjoyment.

pariah164

Slightly late to the party but I am so, so excited for this. Five days left! GET HYPE.

tumblr_lsemkc0nwt1qetmqsst.gif

It is a visual novel and those games that you compared it to are visual novels as well lol.

I would never suggest someone to watch the anime, though. I finished the game yesterday and I am scared at how they condensed the whole story into 13 or so episodes. Watch the LP of it.

Speaking of the ending and what led to it: Holy shit. I don't want to spoil anything, so that's all I'll say lol. It will be interesting to see other reactions as they go on into the game.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Nah dude, it's a long game with lots of text, at least read a let's play of the game rather than watch the short anime. I read SA's onenronen's one and I loved it.

Also, both Dangan Ronpa and AA are considered visual novels by the majority.

It is a visual novel and those games that you compared it to are visual novels as well lol.

I would never suggest someone to watch the anime, though. I finished the game yesterday and I am scared at how they condensed the whole story into 13 or so episodes. Watch the LP of it.

Speaking of the ending and what led to it: Holy shit. I don't want to spoil anything, so that's all I'll say lol. It will be interesting to see other reactions as they go on into the game.
My definition of "visual novel" is a game with a lot of text where the maximum of interaction is making some dialogue choices, Daganronpa(and Ace Attorney for the very few minutes i played it) are not, they are investigative games, obviously they have lots of dialogues because... well you have to interrogate people and then convince the court, but that's not the only thing you do, you need to search for clues and evaluate their value.
If these games are simple visual novel then CSI games are visual novels too i guess.

Looks like I haven't been charged yet and my order is still listed as "Pending Fulfillment." NISA pls I want the game on Tuesday or Wednesday

aravuus

My definition of "visual novel" is a game with a lot of text where the maximum of interaction is making some dialogue choices, Daganronpa(and Ace Attorney for the very few minutes i played it) are not, they are investigative games, obviously they have lots of dialogues because... well you have to interrogate people and then convince the court, but that's not the only thing you do, you need to search for clues and evaluate their value.
If these games are simple visual novel then CSI games are visual novels too i guess.

This may come off as rude, but it doesn't matter how you define a visual novel. They are visual novels, and that's that.

Maedhros

It's just a variation to the formula, it doesn't deserve another name other than visual novel.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
This may come off as rude, but it doesn't matter how you define a visual novel. They are visual novels, and that's that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_novel

"In Japanese terminology, a distinction is often made between visual novels proper (abbreviated NVL), which consist predominantly of narration and have very few interactive elements, and adventure games (abbreviated AVG or ADV), which may incorporate problem-solving and other types of gameplay. This distinction is normally lost outside Japan, where both NVLs and ADVs are commonly referred to as "visual novels" by international fans"

:p

It's just a variation to the formula, it doesn't deserve another name other than visual novel.
To me there's a big difference, i would never spend 40€ for a simple visual novel, i would gladly(more or less lol) spend them for daganronpa and other similar games.

Got my account charged. I'm out until the game releases. Have fun with your spoilers.

It's not so bad in here, except for what seemed like a wall of black when I was browsing the page on my phone. It was like trying to avoid stepping on a huge spoiler-filled minefield. Otherwise... ok, I see your point.

I'm sticking around to see if anyone's getting shipping notifications.

You can fight Mondo in one of of the Kenka Bancho games, so that's something.

but man a Danganronpa fighting game would own own own

Hmm, well Umineko pulled it off well but at least that had magic, what would most of the cast even do?

Still, include the cast of SDR2 with the mastermind as final boss and hell yeah

Hmm, well Umineko pulled it off well but at least that had magic, what would most of the cast even do?

Still, include the cast of SDR2 with the mastermind as final boss and hell yeah

You can probably base something off their ultimate blah blah titles.

Some of the character's art even show some kind of possible ability that could be translated into a fighting game like Celestia with cards, Ishimaru with chalk and uh Aoi and donuts?

You can probably base something off their ultimate blah blah titles.

Some of the character's art even show some kind of possible ability that could be translated into a fighting game like Celestia with cards, Ishimaru with chalk and uh Aoi and donuts?

Ishimaru would just go like "FIGHTING IS NOT WELCOMED IN A SCHOOL ENVIRONMENT" and just end the match because super hall monitor skills :v
Yes that was a DR Abridged reference

Darksol

Do we know where the game is shipping from? I'm in Ontario, Canada, and am pretty much bracing myself for a two week wait or so.

Do we know where the game is shipping from? I'm in Ontario, Canada, and am pretty much bracing myself for a two week wait or so.

Uh, it's shipping from I think somewhere in California? I'm from Toronto Ontario myself, but with UPS it normally takes 3-5 days to get here from the US. That's why I was hoping they charge and ship yesterday or today, but they haven't even charged me or sent me a shipping notice yet. I guess the latest would be... Next Friday I think.

Well, it is almost 30,000 yen for a good reason. Plus whatever shipping costs for that.

On the other-hand, a probably life-size Monokuma...

105cm or 3'5", I think I would faint at the price for shipping that thing, because that not gonna cheap to ship, especially internationally. Now all we need is life-sized Monomi to go along with it.

Darksol

Uh, it's shipping from I think somewhere in California? I'm from Toronto Ontario myself, but with UPS it normally takes 3-5 days to get here from the US. That's why I was hoping they charge and ship yesterday or today, but they haven't even charged me or sent me a shipping notice yet. I guess the latest would be... Next Friday I think.

Ah, well that's good news then :) I received a charge notice two days ago, but I've yet to receive the email stating they've shipped it. Guess it'll get here when it gets here.

Such a strict definition of a VN is rather pointless considering how often VNs are hybridized with other genres, gameplay doesn't take away visual novel elements. But genre labels are dumb in general.

Nachos

I think you're not wrong but the way it is it only approaches "it's only a spoiler if you know it's a spoiler" territory
Caught that potential spoiler before the edit. Kind of ironic, given your previous statements.

I don't see how it it's all that ironic, when it was just me speculating. Still, as a courtesy, I quickly added the tags, just in case.

"Spoilers" explaining my thought process (though if there actually is truth to it, you're better off skipping past it):
I know that there's a rabbit mascot in the second game, an animal featured prominently as a hair clip for Junko. She doesn't have a ribbon in the other picture, and I can't see it correctly, but it could be a hair clip of a lovable, monochrome bear. I could just imagine the big reveal being that she'll remove the ribbon, outing herself as the mastermind all along.

'Course it'll just be my luck that she'll be the first to die, and I'll be right back to zero clues.

Still, I realize I'm basically hitting a beehive with a stick at this point, so I'll stay mum even when it comes to wild guesses.

Yeah, that's probably the most accurate way of saying it. It has the investigations and trials of AA, the premise, characterization, and visual novel aspect of ZE, and the social links of Persona.

That is to say, it takes the most inspiration from those components of those other games. It's still its own thing.
I feel like it's a bit of a disservice to both Zero Escape and Dangan Ronpa to have both released under Spike Chunsoft, when each one comes from a different side of that merger. I feel like some people might be expecting something more like Zero Escape, since they'd naturally assume that there should be some similarities by virtue of them both being from the same studio.

And no, I most certainly wasn't. Why would I go to 4Chan? I like humanity.

Fair enough, fair enough. There was just some guy in the initial reveal thread saying that he sounded remarkably similar to you who then posted a Vocaroo link to highlight it. I guess the resemblance really was just eerie, but I just couldn't imagine anyone willingly going to 4Chan with any remotely creative endeavor, as even the strongest of wills would buckle from the onslaught.

Holy cow, that original post is awesome and you guys rock.

On the one hand, I'm sad that I don't get to experience this fresh (and even when I was editing the script initially, I had to understand the whole story before I started, so literally everything got spoiled). But I'm getting a ton of evil joy out of seeing people's prediction lists, and I can't wait to see everyone's reactions.

I was the script editor that Feep mentioned, and basically the way that it worked was that each actor was given a rundown of the general plot, and then I broke down the story beats in more detail depending on how many lines the actor had (in other words, how long they survived). It was pretty much on me to make sure the actors had as much context as they needed, since obviously I was the most familiar with the script.

Also, I was able to send all the actors a link to the first episode of the anime so that they could at least get a sense of what the tone of the game was and how their characters were portrayed, which I think helped a lot of them get into it more.

I will also say (and I'm obviously biased here) that the dub gets better the farther you get into the game. It took a little while for a lot of the actors to really click with their characters, but once they started getting it, and once you start getting into the characters as the player, I think it improves from there.

Anyway, I'm gonna try and pop in when I have time once the game's out, and delight in everyone's despair as much as possible.

No, thank you! I can't even imagine how much one could get run ragged with a project like this, especially with various deadlines in place. Still, I'm really looking forward to this and being able to fall to despair. It's a bummer that you can't go into it fresh, though like you said, I'm sure there's an entirely different type of satisfaction to be had in seeing people react to something you orchestrated.

I was just trying to imagine how acting might work in this kind of context. On one hand, the actors would need to be funneled through pretty quickly, with but a scant few recording sessions to get the job done. I don't even know if there's the equivalent of a "true ending" where everyone lives, but I figured that each character's longevity would influence how privy the actors would be to the plot details. Seemed like there'd be plenty of room for there to be a disconnect between the character's knowledge and that of the voice behind the mic, though bridging that gap could itself be called the mark of a good actor.

Finished (or almost finished, can't remember) Chapter 1.

Wow, did not expect the Ultimate Pop Idol to be the first victim (having a hard time remembering all the names, just going to refer to them by their stereotypes). The game was really pushing for some kind of romantic relationship between the male lead and the pop idol in the first chapter, I thought she was in it for the long haul and expected maybe some "betrayal" committed by her at the end. Also quite surprised by how the Ultimate Fashionista was killed off on a whim just like that, guess it shows you "nobody is safe, anybody can be next".

Really enjoying it so far, already hooked on the story, even though pretty much all I've been doing is pressing the O button to read the next bit of text (well I'm still in the early chapters, hopefully that will change when I get to the courtroom segments).

Finished (or almost finished, can't remember) Chapter 1.

Wow, did not expect the Ultimate Pop Idol to be the first victim (having a hard time remembering all the names, just going to refer to them by their stereotypes). The game was really pushing for some kind of romantic relationship between the male lead and the pop idol in the first chapter, I thought she was in it for the long haul and expected maybe some "betrayal" committed by her at the end. Also quite surprised by how the Ultimate Fashionista was killed off on a whim just like that, guess it shows you "nobody is safe, anybody can be next".

Really enjoying it so far, already hooked on the story, even though pretty much all I've been doing is pressing the O button to read the next bit of text (well I'm still in the early chapters, hopefully that will change when I get to the courtroom segments).

If you didn't start the courtroom segment, you aren't even close to being done with chapter 1.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
7 days to go, still not been spoiled despite browsing this thread from time to time! Thank you, good people

Top Bottom