• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc |OT| Hope vs Dis Bear ( ´º)

Power through, friend. It only gets better from here on out.

Fighting through despair is the corner stone of the series. You can do it!

Uggggh. We'll see. It's enthralling, but entirely deflating at the same time. I wish Wright games were done in this manner a bit (I see traces of it in 5) but despair is pretty much winning here :p

If I had to legitimately describe this game to someone, it'd be Gut Punch: The Game

nikos

Gameplay question about chapter one. No real spoilers but marking anyway because I know people want to be kept completely in the dark about this game.

I'm searching for clues for my first investigation. How do I end the search? Does it automatically end when I've found all the clues? I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

EDIT: Got it!

789shadow

Banned
Gameplay question about chapter one. No real spoilers but marking anyway because I know people want to be kept completely in the dark about this game.

I'm searching for clues for my first investigation. How do I end the search? Does it automatically end when I've found all the clues? I don't feel like I'm missing anything.
Yes, investigations end when you have all the required evidence.

You will be automatically taken to the next section when you've found everything you need to.

I have no plans of selling my LE, I still vastly prefer physical media. (And I bought it to show support for the series.)

I truly hope that if they do a LE for SDR2, that it's available from multiple retailers.

Uggggh. We'll see. It's enthralling, but entirely deflating at the same time. I wish Wright games were done in this manner a bit (I see traces of it in 5) but despair is pretty much winning here :p

If I had to legitimately describe this game to someone, it'd be Gut Punch: The Game
Fighting to the end is what will make it all the worth while. You're letting Monokuma win!

Oh man, post your end chapter reactions in the thread. The game gets a lot better later on, especially after the halfway point of the game.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Glad I can start this finally.

12473373943_5971aebca4_b.jpg

12473255005_7a3e03b087_b.jpg

Didn't realize it but NISA used a modified version of the Danganronpa 1/2 Famitsu DX pack cover art which I really like.

Definitely looking forward to them using the other half of the cover art for the Super Danganronpa 2 LE set.

PK Gaming

Just beat chapter 1...

I think it's safe to say that DanganRonpa is one of the darkest and most oppressive games i've ever played, cleverly juxtaposed with a colorful cast of characters, social links and an exuberant bear.

It's... there's a lot to take in, haha.

(slight chapter 1 spoilers)
Kyoko is a freaking badass

LX_Theo

Banned
I've made my way up to the start of the 3rd chapter. Here are some reactions so far... So spoilers to some extent.

The first chapter felt way too obvious. Unfortunately, I was actually spoiled on who the victim of the first chapter was, though not on anything else. The key clue to figuring out who it was made it WAAAAYYYYYYYY too obvious whodunit. The victim's motivations was something I guessed during the trial before they brought it up. In general, it made me wish I put the difficulties on Mean instead of Kind.

For the second chapter, that was a bit of a curveball. I figured out almost everything except the real killer before the trial started. I was a bit too focused on my previous conclusions to the point that it never occurred to me, lol. The trial section didn't get much more difficult here, either.

Overall, the story is intriguing and I really have little idea where its going to go after this. I was so sad when the
Ultimate Fashionista kicked the bucket
. Actually, it feels like a lot of my favorite characters were getting killed off earlier on. :(

zulux21

I truly hope that if they do a LE for SDR2, that it's available from multiple retailers.

I wouldn't hope to hard... the odds of a SDR2 LE being anything but a Nis Store exclusive are roughly on par with sega announcing the dreamcast 2 in the next 10 minutes.

Personally I wouldn't want it to be at multiple retailers either... I like that NisA's LE are actually Limited, and thus a real collectors item (and very easy to justify buying them all as if I hate the game I can always sell it for more than I paid)

I don't know if you should continue playing if you feel that way already. This is not a happy game by any means and it only gets more despair-filled.

I wouldn't hope to hard... the odds of a SDR2 LE being anything but a Nis Store exclusive are roughly on par with sega announcing the dreamcast 2 in the next 10 minutes.

Personally I wouldn't want it to be at multiple retailers either... I like that NisA's LE are actually Limited, and thus a real collectors item (and very easy to justify buying them all as if I hate the game I can always sell it for more than I paid)
I understand that sentiment, but it is really deflating to have to wait for longer than everyone else despite being one of the early supporters of the game, and this is not the first time it has happened either. They really need to get their logistics for Canadian shipping much more up to snuff, because right now I'm looking at probably at least a week before I'll get to play the game, all because I supported the game directly from NISA themselves. I'm not flipping over any magazine racks or anything, but it is disheartening.

As for a SDR2 LE, maybe they could do a special first run LE for all copies, and then all day 1ers could get the bonuses, while still being able to get it from a local retailer.

zulux21

As for a SDR2 LE, maybe they could do a special first run LE for all copies, and then all day 1ers could get the bonuses, while still being able to get it from a local retailer.

I really can't see that happening either. I understand waiting can be frustrating, but the only way a company like NisA is able to bring over games like danganronpa is by reducing costs to nearly as low as possible while still putting out a quality release.

This tends to mean that most stores won't get many copies at all (don't want to many copies or you will flood the market and not be able to make your money back as prices will crash or your money will just rot on shelves) and pretty much all of the special preorder bonuses need to either be through their own store so they can track all of the numbers and print as close to just meeting demand as possible for physical rewards (yes technically they could just have a set number and ship them out to companies, but if you are going to sell 5k of them either way and no more, why bother giving a cut to a company like gamestop when you can keep it all yourself?) or merely stuff like DLC for other retailers as that doesn't cost them extra money.

I would love to live in a world where games like danganronpa were million sellers and were able to be stocked everywhere and the publishing company could throw special editions all over the place like halo or COD does... but sadly that is not this world and thus if you want something special you will have to wait. NisA doesn't even have priority for printing of physical copies and thus often runs getting shipments out to the last minute (and in many previous cases... even a week or two after that >.>)

I suppose Atlus would be a slight counter example, as they include soundtracks with their games. But they rarely do quality LE anymore, and likely have more on hand money than NisA, as well as a number of titles that will sell better than anything NisA can ever hope for. (persona might not sell FF numbers but it's still pretty solid)

The final thing to keep in mind is that the LE nisA puts out are already great fan service. In general they are fairly priced compared to what you get in the normal version (especially for something like Danganronpa which was just $10 more) having a special bonus for non LE first copies really isn't likely to effect sales. 99% of people who are going to buy this game at launch are going to buy it whether or not some bonus item is included, and the last 1% who won't buy it without a bonus item are quite likely to pick it up the first time it's on sale. A first print bonus would be nothing but fan service, and cost them extra money for the release, something that they are unlikely to make back from increased sales due to the bonus.

Anyways I hope I am not to ramblely (I get that way when tired) I can totally get your frustration though, back in the original neptunia days the gamestops by me got the game in like a week before my order arrived from NisA. It was a hard wait, but the nice part is with NisA's LE it's typically worth it.

Anyways I hope to actually join real discussions about this game tomorrow... alas my copy hasn't arrived yet :/

PK Gaming

English voice actor speculation(some of these are total longshots)

Makoto: Bryce Papenbrook (confirmed)
Monokuma: Brian Beacock (confirmed)
Mondo: Keith Silverstein (i'm 99.9% sure it's him)
Toko: Shannon Chan-Kent
Makoto: Bryce Papenbrook
Leon: Grant George
Celeste: Debi Derryberry (I mean just picture her with a fake french accent...)
Hifumi: Brian Beacock as well?
Aoi: Cassandra Morris or Jessica Dicicco?
Junko: It's supposed to be Erin Fitzgerald but... It doesn't sound like her at all

Anyway, you can trust me, i''m the ultimate listener

Moonlight

Banned
So, I, uhm, after waiting for the other shoe to drop for a while in Chapter 1, all I can say is...

1334493605106.jpg

EDIT: Wait, Junko is Erin? Whaaaaaaat?

zulux21

Junko: It's supposed to be Erin Fitzgerald but... It doesn't sound like her at all

Anyway, you can trust me, i''m the ultimate listener[/B}

I suddenly realize that I should learn more voice actors... as I don't know a single name on that list ><;

I am also willing to bet most of them have done a number of NisA releases :/

pariah164

Chapter 3 end spoilers:

Well, that was a thing. My poor waifu~

I did laugh when the truck just. Crashed into her. She was a favorite though. Much sad.

ahdurian

Coming in here to see if people got their NISA e-mails yet, and not everyone has gotten it makes me happy...that I'm not alone T_T

oh well

*Goes back to playing Bravely Default*

pariah164

Chapter 4 spoilers:

Sayaka, Celestia, and Hifumi all smiling and laughing in a picture...
WHAT THE BALLS IS GOING ON?

... And on that note, I muuust sleep.

Anyway, you can trust me, i''m the ultimate listener

Ishimaru's voiced by Sean Chiplock.
Hagakure is voiced by Kaiji Tang.

nikos

So I just put 6.5 hours into the game, and I'm really enjoying it so far. Kicking myself in the ass for not ordering the LE when I had the chance.

I just finished the first chapter and I'm surprised at
the amount of time it took to complete the first trial.
Didn't expect it to include so many game mechanics.

Chapter 2 done.
Damn, this game is a waifu murder sim in more ways than one. It also seems like whoever I'm actually spending time with ends up dying. First it was Junko and Sayaka and now it's Chihiro. Spend time with Chihiro -> Chihiro: My skills as an ultimate programmer is useless! Makoto: No, yours skills will be useful in the future! And then shortly after...Nope. Your skills will NOT be used.
I was a bit disappointed when I thought I figured out the murderer, but then I was surprised at the curve ball during the trial. It was great but I really felt bad for the guy.

Why does almost everyone likes Junko?
Spoiler:
Whats the translated name of Genocider Syo? How's the English equivalent of Toko's stuttering?

AniHawk

spoilers everyone don't click unless you're through with chapter 2. SPOILERS
Why does almost everyone likes Junko?
Spoiler:
Whats the translated name of Genocider Syo? How's the English equivalent of Toko's stuttering?

genocider syo = genocide jack. toko's stuttering happens at least twice per dialogue box
spoilers everyone don't click unless you're through with chapter 2. SPOILERS

I can't wait to start playing this game. I've seen PersonaGAF talking about it quite a bit; did some research, and am very intrigued by what Trigger Happy Havoc has to offer! Catching up on this thread now and am excited to hear everyone's Danganronpa stories. :)

Are there any missable trophies that would require an entire replay before I start?

You Must Acquit, Not From Concentrate and What's a Mistrial? - but without sitting through many, many trial restarts and playing through on the easiest difficulty you simply won't get those on a first playthrough anyway.

The vast majority of trophies on that list won't be completed in a single playthrough anyway, so I'd suggest just playing through normally and then going back to mop things up later. It's worth noting that you can choose to replay any chapter you like anyway.

You Must Acquit, Not From Concentrate and possibly What's a Mistrial? - but without sitting through many, many trial restarts and playing through on the easiest difficulty you simply won't get those on a first playthrough anyway.

The vast majority of trophies on that list won't be completed in a single playthrough anyway, so I'd suggest just playing through normally and then going back to mop things up later. It's worth noting that you can choose to replay any chapter you like anyway.

Thanks, if I can replay chapters then that makes me worry less. Will just go through and enjoy it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh man, my package just left the post office that's 2 hours from my town. Would be amazing if it was today, but still getting it tomorrow is pretty awesome. If anyone wants, I can take some pics of the LE contents.

Wow this game is fucking nuts. First game in a long time that I just couldn't put down. Damn, I must have played it for like 5 hours straight and even bailed on dinner with people just to play more.

Top Bottom