• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc |OT| Hope vs Dis Bear ( ´º)

Omikaru

Checked my post to find a surprisingly early arrival of my EU copy. Wasn't expecting this until tomorrow or Friday.

BgRoUFuIUAAPjHx.jpg:large

Can't wait to get started later this afternoon!

kierwynn

Gave up on waiting for my LE and got it digital, maybe I'll keep the LE sealed.

I'm tempted to go this route. I'll be busy with class the next couple of days, but if Friday rolls around and I still don't have it, then I am probably getting a digital copy and keeping my LE sealed.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Translation is confusing me. Why label someone a fanfic writer (instead of otaku) when they mostly seem to talk about 2D stuff? Why use 'professor' instead of sensei?

Just seems like terms that don't really need to be translated, given the game's audience.

Translation is confusing me. Why label someone a fanfic writer (instead of otaku) when they mostly seem to talk about 2D stuff? Why use 'professor' instead of sensei?

Just seems like terms that don't really need to be translated, given the game's audience.

Fanfic isn't the worst translation for doujin. And sensei, really? This is a professional localization, it doesn't make sense to leave words in Japanese, especially things like doujin which most people in the west don't what is.

bigkrev

What is an Otaku? What is a Sensei?

If you are going to do something like that, you might as well leave in honorifics as well. Nothing wrong with the changes they made.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Fanfic isn't the worst translation for doujin. And sensei, really? This is a professional localization, it doesn't make sense to leave words in Japanese, especially things like doujin which most people in the west don't what is.
"Professor" in this case was used by Ishimaru towards the MC, with regards to being an 'expert' on television and videogames. The only time I've experienced 'professor' in that context is when it's sarcastic (teacher/mentor might've been a better fit). It doesn't have the same breadth as 'sensei', much in the same way doujin has no english translation and it falls flat when you try to replace it with 'fanfiction'.

And again' 'given the game's audience'. I'd be crazy surprised if people going out and buying a super niche VN like danganronpa digitally don't know what those terms are.

Trigger

I really like the free time segments more than I thought I would. I just wish I had less shitty presents to give the others.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Persona 4 had sensei, senpai, and honorifics like -kun and -chan. I don't think the localization suffered for it. In fact, I'd argue it was better for it. It's as professional a localization as you can get.

789shadow

Banned
It doesn't have the same breadth as 'sensei', much in the same way doujin has no english translation and it falls flat when you try to replace it with 'fanfiction'.
And "nakama" is a mystical magic word that cannot be translated into inferior gaijin languages.

"Professor" in this case was used by Ishimaru towards the MC, with regards to being an 'expert' on television and videogames. The only time I've experienced 'professor' in that context is when it's sarcastic (teacher/mentor might've been a better fit). It doesn't have the same breadth as 'sensei', much in the same way doujin has no english translation and it falls flat when you try to replace it with 'fanfiction'.

And again' 'given the game's audience'. I'd be crazy surprised if people going out and buying a super niche VN like danganronpa digitally don't know what those terms are.

You are overestimating how widespread any familiarity with terms like doujin are. Maybe another word or phrase should have been used, but this isn't a fansub or fan translation, random Japanese words would be out of place in a professional localization.

Letep

Where was the limited edition being sold? What's it include?

I picked up the standard last night on the way home. Excited!

bigkrev

Persona 4 had sensei, senpai, and honorifics like -kun and -chan. I don't think the localization suffered for it. In fact, I'd argue it was better for it.

and because of that, all of the voice actors had to talk in English and sound really unnatural dropping in foreign words. Would anyone ever talk like that in real life?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
and because of that, all of the voice actors had to talk in English and sound really unnatural dropping in foreign words. Would anyone ever talk like that in real life?

Didn't bother me in the least. They're in Japan and not actually speaking English. I think it worked well.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
You are overestimating how widespread any familiarity with terms like doujin are. Maybe another word or phrase should have been used, but this isn't a fansub or fan translation, random Japanese words would be out of place in a professional localization.
I guess you're right. Persona 4 lost a lot of its charm when using senpai, sensei and a bunch of ethnic food names instead of professor, upper-classman and hamburger.

They never sounded unnatural. Honestly, the only time I was taken aback by Persona 4's voice acting was in the anime. Everyone suddenly decided to mispronounce Morooka.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Where was the limited edition being sold? What's it include?

I picked up the standard last night on the way home. Excited!
It was only sold via NIS's online store. For $10 more, you get a 16-track OST and an artbook (7" x 5.5" with 16 pages of art) in a collector's box.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
"February 12, 2014 , 6:43 am, Arrival at Post Office, *hometown*, MI" "The Postal Service expects to deliver the item on Wednesday, February 12, 2014. "

Holy crap yeeeeeeeeeeees it should be in my mailbox when I get home from class in about an hour. That was some seriously fast shipping. Bravo, NIS.

Already played on PSP, can anyone chime in on the character relationship differences on the Vita version? Supposedly there is a portion of the game where you can build character relationships without the story moving forward? That was pretty annoying in the PSP version...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Already played on PSP, can anyone chime in on the character relationship differences on the Vita version? Supposedly there is a portion of the game where you can build character relationships without the story moving forward? That was pretty annoying in the PSP version...
Are you thinking of the new, separate School Life mode where it's mainly just that? "The mode features an alternate storyline, in which characters aren't forced to kill one another, and new gameplay elements with a focus on managing students and building relationships with them. "

Caladrius

Ripped through the first two chapters last night (even when I had a test today.) The game does a pretty good job of keeping the trials tense. Chapter 2's was great.

The only thing that bugs me is that the pacing is all over the place. I suppose that's probably unavoidable with the genre and format of the game, but it still feels a bit weird. The dub is a bit better than I credited it for. It isn't stellar, but it's pretty listenable.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Luckily, the top result for 'English loan word otaku' was exactly what I wanted.

http://www.slideshare.net/krasotca/english-loanwords-from-japanese

The way I see it, if anime localisation like Crunchyroll never bother to translate it, it should be safe to use, especially if the alternative doesn't really sound right in English.

Edit: Sensei isn't on there but I'd argue it's been a loan word since Karate Kid and Ninja Turtles.

Chapter 3 done!
I almost pieced together the entire murder plan quite a bit before the trial. The murderer was way too obvious in trying to misdirect people around. Maybe this is why Byakuya needs to step in and make things more interesting.

pariah164

Chapter 3 done!
I almost pieced together the entire murder plan quite a bit before the trial. The murderer was way too obvious in trying to misdirect people around. Maybe this is why Byakuya needs to step in and make things more interesting.
Yeah, I kinda got the feeling who it was, but didn't want to believe it because mai waifu.

Dugna

Woohooo!!! my copy finally made it LE looks good though the box is a bit flimsy but artwork looks nice and all. Overall though the game looks gorgeous on the Vita and plays real smoothly.

kewlmyc

Have to pick it up from the post office either tonight or tomorrow (surprised they didn't leave it at the door, I shouldn't have to sign for it). Can't wait.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So, is Best Buy getting this game? I didn't preorder it, but it'd be nice if I could just nab it locally instead of buying it online.

Briarios

I'm so irritated. My copy didn't ship from Best Buy even though I pre-ordered. They said it could be like two or three weeks ... How does that happen on a pre-order? You know how many you're getting. Ugh.

Noi

Post Chapter 2 spoilers:

Is there a reason to spend free time on Genocide Jill? I spent 4 periods of free time with her before Deadly Time started and got no bonuses for it so I reloaded a save and did those with Hina instead.

My LE is still somewhere in the Southwest of America between Texas and California. :|

I think at this point if I don't get it today, I might crack and get the digital version.

With the winter storm hitting the northeast US, who knows when I'll get my CE. Hopefully Friday, but I'm not confident in it. I certainly don't think it will actually get delivered tomorrow.

kewlmyc

Post Chapter 2 spoilers:

Is there a reason to spend free time on Genocide Jill? I spent 4 periods of free time with her before Deadly Time started and got no bonuses for it so I reloaded a save and did those with Hina instead.

You need to max
Touko first to rank up with Jill

bigkrev

My LE is still somewhere in the Southwest of America between Texas and California. :|

I think at this point if I don't get it today, I might crack and get the digital version.

And then think about it- you don't ever have to open your CE! It can sit on your shelf forever!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
YEAH, it finally arrived! Also came with a "Flonne Squad" sticker...huh....*sees it's free with all purchases* Aah, that explains it.

Edit: Oh yeah, here's the track list for the OST that came with the LE. Let me know if any are actually spoilers, since I don't have any idea:

1. Intro
  2. Danganronpa (RX-Ver.S.P.L)
  3. Danganronpa (Karaoke)
  4. Argument [BREAK] (RX-Ver.S.P.L)
  5. Class Trial [THE SUN] (Prototype)
  6. Closing Argument (Extended Mix)
  7. And the Winner Is...
  8. Pregame Punishment Rocket
  9. The Unforgettable 1,000 Blows
  10. My Heart's Cage of Death
  11. The Historic Burning of the Versailles Witch
  12. An Excavator Destroyer, Perhaps
  13. Setting an Example - The Detention of the Unlucky
  14. It's Only Natural - The Detention of the Mysterious
  15. Very Possibly the Ultimate Punishment
  16. GAME OVER

Edit: Spoiler hidden some of the track names on request.

*Pending Fulfillment* Shit, I'm gonna give them a call now. Especially since it sounds like LE's are shipping for some people now... Or I can just buy the digital version and have both a digital and physical.

pariah164

Mid-chapter 4 Spoilers:

Alas, poor Sakura, I hardly knew ye. I regret there is not enough time to befriend everyone in the main game.

Uthred

Bit disappointing to hear that, I prefer a less "localised" translation

Top Bottom