• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc |OT| Hope vs Dis Bear ( ´º)

Edit: Oh yeah, here's the track list for the OST that came with the LE. Let me know if any are actually spoilers, since I don't have any idea:

1. Intro
  2. Danganronpa (RX-Ver.S.P.L)
  3. Danganronpa (Karaoke)
  4. Argument [BREAK] (RX-Ver.S.P.L)
  5. Class Trial [THE SUN] (Prototype)
  6. Closing Argument (Extended Mix)
  7. And the Winner Is...
  8. GAME OVER

For those who've listened to the LE OST, does it have HEAT UP in it? Because it looks like they renamed some of the songs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHMQMW8WTYk

ghibli99

OK, damn it, I bought this. I hope I like it. I love P3/P4 and other VNs like 999/VLR, but am lukewarm on the Phoenix Wright series, although I've only finished the first one. Anyway, if anything, I can sleep well knowing I'm supporting this.

Dugna

Well that is odd....alot of the characters in hallways show being like 2 times the size of Naegi yet some of them are only like a couple inches taller then him.

FluxWaveZ

Man, after my first classroom trial, I wish I listened to some of the recommendations in this thread and picked "Mean" for at least the Logic difficulty setting. It really sucks that you can't change it mid-game.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Knight, I would suggest spoiler tagging tracks 9 to 15...
Alright, give me a moment. Wasn't sure if any of the tracks would spoil anything, since I didn't think that NIS would include spoilers on the LE content.

Those track names would be meaningless to people that haven't played the game, so I wouldn't really call them spoilers. Hell, pointing out which ones are spoilers could be a spoiler.
Yeah, that was my line of logic. Those names don't tell me anything since I haven't started the game yet.

Those track names would be meaningless to people that haven't played the game, so I wouldn't really call them spoilers. Hell, pointing out which ones are spoilers could be a spoiler.

Dugna

Alright, give me a moment. Wasn't sure if any of the tracks would spoil anything, since I didn't think that NIS would include spoilers on the LE content.

Yeah, that was my line of logic. Those names don't tell me anything since I haven't started the game yet.

The whole LE is full of spoiler pictures, I'm kinda glad I knew the story before buying this version

789shadow

Banned
Hey was the blood in this game censored, or was it always pinkish/weird looking even in the Japanese version?
What are you talking about? Blood has ALWAYS been that color.

Just like the humble strawberry.

ibgvcSojMsW0QL.PNG

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The whole LE is full of spoiler pictures, I'm kinda glad I knew the story before buying this version
It is? Houk said that the artbooks was basically the backstory about each character.

There aren't any major story spoilers, but for some characters it does talk a bit about their personalities/backstory that you would otherwise learn through playing the game.

If you just browse through it for the art and don't read the descriptions, there aren't any spoilers at all.

pariah164

End of chapter 4 spoilers.

So, sixteenth student. Ultimate Despair. WELP. Also, poor Alter... I get the lump as a present? Monokuma you DICK.

Hey was the blood in this game censored, or was it always pinkish/weird looking even in the Japanese version?

Technically both, it's like that in Japan, but it wasn't always that way during development and was done so that the game's rating would stay below Z. It's become iconic of the series though.

What are you talking about? Blood has ALWAYS been that color.

Just like the humble strawberry.

ibgvcSojMsW0QL.PNG

[Demonic Celes voice] YOU WILL EAT THE STRAWBERRY CREATURE OF FLESH

pariah164

Technically both, it's like that in Japan, but it wasn't always that way during development and was done so that the game's rating would stay below Z. It's become iconic of the series though.
999 and VLR weren't censored like this, and they had some pretty gory stuff. Granted, I'm only in Chapter 5, so maybe I haven't gotten to the reason why they felt it fit to censor the blood yet...

999 and VLR weren't censored like this, and they had some pretty gory stuff. Granted, I'm only in Chapter 5, so maybe I haven't gotten to the reason why they felt it fit to censor the blood yet...

Yes but in 999 and VLR it's not underaged highschool kids in pools of their own blood

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh god, just met Monokuma & that music. Can't wait to hear some of these tracks in my car.

Hell, the whole presentation (music & graphics, especially the facial expressions) is pretty great so far.

12473429113_02e7d48393_z.jpg

Definitely the best.

By the way, does anyone know how to get more monocoins aside from digging them up off searching the scenery? I screwed up with the machine near the beginning and wound up using way more coins than I probably needed to, and now I'm running thin.

Best Taste.

I still can't believe people really like this character that much lol

To each his own, of course.

How can you not love her?

tumblr_static_dgcfjbhmkl___..png

Houk

NISA
Hey Houk, you guys killed it. I'm on Chapter 5 and the localization has been stellar. Thumbs up.

Thanks! We're pretty happy with the reception so far.

Regarding translated word choices, there's a pretty meaty discussion to be had there, but the short version is that in the case of things like doujin or sensei or otaku or honorifics, we generally lean on the side of using whatever the most number of people will understand and relate to. Yes, in some cases there are words that don't translate perfectly, but a lot of times we would rather use an imperfect translation that still gets the essential feel across in the player's native language, than use a word the user may very possibly have never encountered at all, or that has specific cultural connotations that may very well be lost even if the user does have a basic familiarity with the word.

As someone who has a pretty good familiarity with Japanese language and cultural, I don't personally enjoy localizations that use Japanese phrases here and there that really could be translated into English - maybe not perfectly, but well enough that it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb otherwise. I thought the honorifics in Persona, for example, did come off as awkward, especially in the audio, and didn't add anything that wasn't already communicated in the actual dialogue between the characters.

I know that's not going to make everyone happy, but it's in line with how our company views localization, and we believe it's the best way to present our projects to the biggest number of our players.

-----

Re: Artbook/OST - there aren't any image spoilers in the artbook, but the back of the OST does have a couple small screenshots from later in the game (nothing that gives anything major away, in my opinion, but probably worth avoiding nonetheless).

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Will this be available friday on psn in EU? Because someone told me it was delayed until next week.

Regarding translated word choices, there's a pretty meaty discussion to be had there, but the short version is that in the case of things like doujin or sensei or otaku or honorifics, we generally lean on the side of using whatever the most number of people will understand and relate to. Yes, in some cases there are words that don't translate perfectly, but a lot of times we would rather use an imperfect translation that still gets the essential feel across in the player's native language, than use a word the user may very possibly have never encountered at all, or that has specific cultural connotations that may very well be lost even if the user does have a basic familiarity with the word.

My only big complaint about this (without having played the game because lack of Vita) is that Yamada's "fanfic author" title kinda feels like it loses the whole artist/drawing part of the doujin creation :/

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Alright, so I just got a few presents. Is there a way to figure out which character would like them the best (i.e I figure the
bunny earmuffs
would most likely be given to Celeste)? Or just save before hand, try it, & see if it works?

& do ya earn coins from just randomly searching, or are there other methods?

Moonlight

Banned
Alright, so I just got a few presents. Is there a way to figure out which character would like them the best (i.e I figure the
bunny earmuffs
would most likely be given to Celeste)? Or just save before hand, try it, & see if it works?

You get coins from completing chapters, and the amount you get depends on how well you do. Once you complete a chapter, as well, the coins you get from randomly searching objects reset, so you can grab them again. I'm not really sure if they always return to the same place, though.

Lemstar

bunny earmuffs
You can look up a table of present affinities, although that's likely to contain a spoiler, so I'd suggest waiting until after Chapter #
to do it if you're concerned.

Yup, that's why I suggested a range :p

Will this be available friday on psn in EU? Because someone told me it was delayed until next week.

Someone from NISA's been saying that on the blog, but the thread for this week's update on there has someone from SCEE saying it's due on Friday as far as they know.

Houk

NISA
My only big complaint about this (without having played the game because lack of Vita) is that Yamada's "fanfic author" title kinda feels like it loses the whole artist/drawing part of the doujin creation :/

His title is actually "Fanfic Creator." You'll see "creator" used a lot in comic book circles in the west to refer to someone who does both the art AND writing on a book, so that's the idea I was trying to convey. I did specifically avoid the word "author" so that it wouldn't sound like he was just a writer.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, I feared that looking up a chart telling me what the presents were & who would like them the best would bring up something I didn't want to see plot-wise. Though if it's only that far, I think I can wait, especially after getting more coins.

Also, I keep thinking I can tap that BGM radio in the corner to change the music.

kewlmyc

bunny earmuffs

Guesswork. Easily the worst thing about the game. Some are obvious (Aoi = Donuts, Celeste = Tea), but some are pretty out there. Give everyone a gift though during their social links free time events, it really helps unless it's something stupid like a hand bra.

A guide really helps but the one I used spoils one character and pretty much all of chapter 1.

Uthred

His title is actually "Fanfic Creator." You'll see "creator" used a lot in comic book circles in the west to refer to someone who does both the art AND writing on a book, so that's the idea I was trying to convey. I did specifically avoid the word "author" so that it wouldn't sound like he was just a writer.

While "fanfic creator" is certainly more understandable to a general audience (though perhaps not the games target audience) I have to imagine that most people wont make the conection to relatively niche comic book nomenclature. It is always interesting to hear the reasons behind choices like this though.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Well, there's still the fanfiction problem in that description. A drawing tablet isn't something I'd consider a part of a fanfic creator's tools. Keyboard, pen and paper, sure. I mean, fanfiction.net doesn't even have a category for art (far as I can tell on the mobile site).

And like I mentioned in the slide/research post, I'd argue sensei and otaku are loan words at this point. The survey showed that every student who took a Japanese course in college knew what otaku meant, or had a clear idea. I think NISA's audience is entrenched enough in fandom to know what they are. But I don't know the exact demographic and maybe the breadth of people who subscribe to the Prinny Bomb and buy Disgaea is wider than I expected.

Oh well. It just seemed more out of place than any -chan or -kun in Persona to me. Those were Japanese words that I wouldn't use in English, but they fit the setting and added a weird authenticity to how the crew interacted with one another. These were English words that I wouldn't use in English.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Guesswork. Easily the worst thing about the game. Some are obvious (Aoi = Donuts, Celeste = Tea), but some are pretty out there. Give everyone a gift though during their social links free time events, it really helps unless it's something stupid like a hand bra.

A guide really helps but the one I used spoils one character and pretty much all of chapter 1.
Yeah, I noticed some of the descriptions offer hints as to who'd like it the most. I think for the time being, I'll talk to people who I know I can give a present that they'll like until I finish the first chapter and look up a guide.

Oh, & I assume I can see what skills I earned when the trial thing finally happens? I saw that I earned two skills and my skill points went up after talking to said characters, but I can't find a place to check them.

I actually acidentally gave Aoi the hand bra.
grQwy6T.png
She probably would make the most out of it, heh heh heh.

Trigger

I actually acidentally gave Aoi the hand bra.
grQwy6T.png

dan2026

Hifumi's title was never Ultimate Otaku from what I understand, it was Ultimate Doujinshi Creator.

Which by its very nature is fanfiction and fanart. Often erotic.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Hifumi's title was never Ultimate Otaku from what I understand, it was Ultimate Doujinshi Creator.

Which by its very nature is fanfiction and fanart.
Yup. There unfortunately isn't a clear, commonly used translation for it.

Roto13

I'm going to link to a presents guide that is kind of spoilery if you haven't done the chapter 2 trial. And I'm linking to the individual images instead of the page because the last image (that I won't include) is spoilery beyond that and also pretty much useless.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdaxhgHJRl1riuq7yo1_1280.png
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdaxhgHJRl1riuq7yo2_1280.png
http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdaxhgHJRl1riuq7yo3_1280.png
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdaxhgHJRl1riuq7yo4_1280.png
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdaxhgHJRl1riuq7yo5_1280.png
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdaxhgHJRl1riuq7yo6_1280.png
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdaxhgHJRl1riuq7yo7_1280.png
http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdaxhgHJRl1riuq7yo8_1280.png
http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdaxhgHJRl1riuq7yo9_1280.png

Double circle is best, circle is good, triangle is ok, and x is bad.

The guide uses the fan translated names but the Vita version uses the same item numbers so you can go by that.

Roto13

Why not just "fancomic creator"?

Houk

NISA
Why not just "fancomic creator"?

There are a couple spots during Hifumi's free time events where they talk more about the idea of doujin, and he specifically talks about how comics are the main creation, but the concept also includes other media. So it would have been weird to call him "fancomic creator" and then have to backtrack and talk about the general idea of general fan-made goods.

Basically, just like every other translation choice we made, we went with that because it made the most sense to us given the context and content of the game.

pariah164

Chapter six spoilers:

Ohhhh mygod. Memory fuckery all up in here. Holy shit. THIS GAME.

Just now starting the trial... So goooood.

Top Bottom