• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc |OT| Hope vs Dis Bear ( ´º)

Baliis

Anyone who has the LE, would you mind telling me what the barcode on the back says? Is it NOT FOR INDIVIDUAL SALE? or does it have a UPC just like the retail version?

Regular UPC, I dont have a normal retail copy to compare, but it doesn't say not for individual sale or anything.

Also, the OST for this game is pretty awesome, I keep stopping mid conversations just to listen to it for a bit.

PK Gaming

oh, OH!!!

Concerning early Chapter 3 (mild spoilers)

At one point, the girls decide to take a bathe in bathhouse due to special circumstances. Monokuma shows up and urges the guys to sneak a peak. Makoto agreed to it in a humorous fashion, but that wasn't the weird part. In fact, the guys got to sneak a peak and they didn't get in trouble for it. But that wasn't the weird part either![

The weird part is that my brother played through the exact point in the game, and Makoto declined to sneak a peak. Apparently he said "no, I have to much respect for them."I wonder what we did differently?!?

It was a surreal experience.

FluxWaveZ

oh, OH!!!

The weird part is that my brother played through the exact point in the game, and Makoto declined to sneak a peak. Apparently he said "no, I have to much respect for them."I wonder what we did differently?!?

That's what happened for me and I'm glad it did. Makoto's not an asshole.

Heh, accurate depiction of the player's intentions, perhaps?

PK Gaming

That's what happened for me and I'm glad it did. Makoto's not an asshole.

Heh, accurate depiction of the player's intentions, perhaps?

Screw you :mad:

It's not like I wanted to sneak a peak either! Though it's very interesting nonetheless. I wonder if it's related to the amount of social links you do? I wonder if there are more scenes like that in the game?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
oh, OH!!!

At one point, the girls decide to take a bathe in bathhouse due to special circumstances. Monokuma shows up and urges the guys to sneak a peak. Makoto agreed to it in a humorous fashion, but that wasn't the weird part. In fact, the guys got to sneak a peak and they didn't get in trouble for it. But that wasn't the weird part either![

Oh, I can explain this (& voice a quick opinion about the scene).

In order for the scene to trigger, you need to get the item "A Man's Fantasy" from the capsule machine where you earn presents. If you don't have it by Chapter 3, then the scene won't happen. & as for the scene itself, I was rather surprised how quick it went. No "OH CRAP WE'RE DISCOVERED", no scene with the girls talking about their different body types, nothing. Just "Yup, we spied on them bathing. It was a good day." & that's it. Strange, yet kind of interesting to see it steer away from the usual tropes you'd associate with a bathing scene.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Regular UPC, I dont have a normal retail copy to compare, but it doesn't say not for individual sale or anything.

Also, the OST for this game is pretty awesome, I keep stopping mid conversations just to listen to it for a bit.

Thanks. I'm getting desperate to play this. I might try to find a retail copy somewhere.

pariah164

In order for the scene to trigger, you need to get the item "A Man's Fantasy" from the capsule machine where you earn presents. If you don't have it by Chapter 3, then the scene won't happen. & as for the scene itself, I was rather surprised how quick it went. No "OH CRAP WE'RE DISCOVERED", no scene with the girls talking about their different body types, nothing. Just "Yup, we spied on them bathing. It was a good day." & that's it. Strange, yet kind of interesting to see it steer away from the usual tropes you'd associate with a bathing scene.
Yeah, I got the "I have too much respect" thing, which was a subversion in itself. I mean, even P4G did the "spy on them bathing" thing and gave me no choice in the matter. So I was happy to see Makoto not be an ass. Like a motherfucking gentleman.

PK Gaming

Ah

And yeah I agree with you. DanganRonpa subverts our expectations AGAIN with that kind of decision.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Tomorrow i'll buy it(if shops have it... :/ )!

Itshappening.gif

Finally! I have waited for so much time... since its first announcement on PSP.

Labrys

It's also in the way that this thread is going. All the talk of waifus and husbandos. It makes me think of the people with bookshelves stuffed with anime and manga that sleep with their body pillows. It's hard to put into words, but it's that type of stuff that I don't want to play.

considering a lot of characters brutally get killed having "waifus" isn't a good decision in this type of game

plus i always assume 1/2 the people on gaf are just joking about that type of thing anyway

joe2187

Banned
2uoIP0L.png

uJ3NZrY.gif

Jisgsaw

Any tip on what difficulty to start? Or rather, what does changing each difficulty exactly does in the game?

Edit: opened the e-manual (completely forgot these things even exist), so that's that.
How logical are the puzzles? Games sadly often have some absurd solutions to puzzle sometimes...

Any tip on what difficulty to start? Or rather, what does changing each difficulty exactly does in the game?

Edit: opened the e-manual (completely forgot these things even exist), so that's that.
How logical are the puzzles? Games sadly often have some absurd solutions to puzzle sometimes...
If I recall correctly I hadn't encountered any weird or stupid "answer" for Trials, so you should be good. They're not that hard on the medium, you may want to try the hard one; the difference I think it a only that you get less hints and more "noises", nothing absurd though.

Chapter 2 Trail Spoilers
When Toko Fukawa is revealed to be the serial killer Genocide Jack, I'll say that has to be one of the best performances I've seen from the game so far, Erin Fitzgerald hit the nail on the head with that performance, it's both hilarious and bone-chilling scary all at the same time. Also love how that they do a double word play on the killer's name, when he's first referred to be as the killer, it makes a lot to connect it to Jack the Ripper, one of the infamous serial killers of all time. And then she refers to herself as Genocide Jill, a play on the nursery rhyme Jack and Jill. I seriously loved that.

Moonlight

Banned
Alright, finished up Chapter 3. Probably the most satisfying case yet - though I feel like it had the least surprises. Obviously, end of chapter spoilers to follow.
I had Celeste's number the moment that Hiro's guilt became blindingly telegraphed. Especially because it became pretty clear that Celeste was the one most obviously trying to control the narrative - between corralling all the others to where she wanted them to go at the beginning of the case (and being the one to find the bodies), and constantly reminding them of the obvious factors of Hiro's suspicion. But as I write this, I'm finding it pretty doubtful that it was ever intended to be much of a surprise - the real meat of the story wasn't in the who, but the how. And the how was impressively constructed. Loved unraveling the plot, and if I saw Celeste's involvement clear as day, I definitely didn't see Hifumi's involvement as an accomplice coming. That was really nicely executed.

But yeah, as I said. Satisfying as hell. Really, really fun to piece everything together and nail Celeste to the wall with the evidence. And this might seem a bit of a stretch, but I think the most classically... eh, Ace Attorney of them. Something about the case really struck me as something not unlike what Ace Attorney would do - with you sort of acting as Hiro's defense. It even had the Ace Attorney villainous true colours personality reveal!

I don't feel bad for Celeste, which I imagine was the point, but I really did love it when the facade broke and she revealed her decidedly more... abrasive side. Moreover, what I loved is how she kept falling into and out of that prim French accented voice and her more coarse way of speaking really naturally - like she kept putting the mask on and it kept falling away. That was nicely done, and if that was entirely the voice artist's delivery, major fucking kudos. That was cool. But on that note, I swear to good god, Celeste's angry voice - I know it. It's killing me that I can't pull a name to match it, because I'm familiar as hell with it. If it's really the same person doing both, holy shit.

And despite not feeling bad for Celeste, it was sort of nice, and sort of sad, seeing the mask come off completely. For once in her life, she sounded pretty sincere. And a tinge melancholic. I don't know how it compares to the Japanese equivalent, but I really liked the vocal delivery of her stuff. Resigned, but not checked out.

But, you only have to remind herself she killed two people to relive a Twilight-themed castle fantasy, and you plummet straight back down to earth.

And man, I'm just gonna say that the beginning of Chapter 3 tripped me the hell out.
It's comforting to know that Chihiro is still with us, in some shape or form. ;_;

Definitely my favourite Chapter thus far. Just excellent.

789shadow

Banned
Alright, finished up Chapter 3. Probably the most satisfying case yet - though I feel like it had the least surprises. Obviously, end of chapter spoilers to follow.
I had Celeste's number the moment that Hiro's guilt became blindingly telegraphed. Especially because it became pretty clear that Celeste was the one most obviously trying to control the narrative - between corralling all the others to where she wanted them to go at the beginning of the case (and being the one to find the bodies), and constantly reminding them of the obvious factors of Hiro's suspicion. But as I write this, I'm finding it pretty doubtful that it was ever intended to be much of a surprise - the real meat of the story wasn't in the who, but the how. And the how was impressively constructed. Loved unraveling the plot, and if I saw Celeste's involvement clear as day, I definitely didn't see Hifumi's involvement as an accomplice coming. That was really nicely executed.

But yeah, as I said. Satisfying as hell. Really, really fun to piece everything together and nail Celeste to the wall with the evidence. And this might seem a bit of a stretch, but I think the most classically... eh, Ace Attorney of them. Something about the case really struck me as something not unlike what Ace Attorney would do - with you sort of acting as Hiro's defense. It even had the Ace Attorney villainous true colours personality reveal!

I don't feel bad for Celeste, which I imagine was the point, but I really did love it when the facade broke and she revealed her decidedly more... abrasive side. Moreover, what I loved is how she kept falling into and out of that prim French accented voice and her more coarse way of speaking really naturally - like she kept putting the mask on and it kept falling away. That was nicely done, and if that was entirely the voice artist's delivery, major fucking kudos. That was cool. But on that note, I swear to good god, Celeste's angry voice - I know it. It's killing me that I can't pull a name to match it, because I'm familiar as hell with it.

And despite not feeling bad for Celeste, it was sort of nice, and sort of sad, seeing the mask come off completely. For once in her life, she sounded pretty sincere. And a tinge melancholic. I don't know how it compares to the Japanese equivalent, but I really liked the vocal delivery of her stuff. Resigned, but not checked out.

But, you only have to remind herself she killed two people to relive a Twilight-themed castle fantasy, and you plummet straight back down to earth.

And man, I'm just gonna say that the beginning of Chapter 3 tripped me the hell out.
It's comforting to know that Chihiro is still with us, in some shape or form. ;_;

Chapter 3 spoilers:
I wonder if we're even supposed to take Celeste's "dream" seriously, considering her utter inability to accept her real self.

Yeah, my left Texas and was never heard from again. :E

No deliveries on Monday if by USPS though since it's a federal holiday.

A friend of mine today who also bought the LE ended up missing the delivery at his door because he didn't hear the guy knock on his door. He checked 5 minutes later and the stamp of "missed delivery" was on his door. Now he either high tails his ass really far to get it after 6PM (most FedEx stores close at 5:30 except for the really large ones) or wait till Tuesday because it's a holiday on Monday.

I am literally sitting here in my apartment with the phone next to me waiting for the buzzer. I went downstairs and fucking taped a piece of paper on the buzzer input machine with my buzzer code on it. Shit better get here and I HOPE I HEAR IT OR THAT THEY HAVE THE SENSE TO COME UP HERE SOMEHOW

Dugna

A friend of mine today who also bought the LE ended up missing the delivery at his door because he didn't hear the guy knock on his door. He checked 5 minutes later and the stamp of "missed delivery" was on his door. Now he either high tails his ass really far to get it after 6PM (most FedEx stores close at 5:30 except for the really large ones) or wait till Tuesday because it's a holiday on Monday.

I am literally sitting here in my apartment with the phone next to me waiting for the buzzer. I went downstairs and fucking taped a piece of paper on the buzzer input machine with my buzzer code on it. Shit better get here and I HOPE I HEAR IT OR THAT THEY HAVE THE SENSE TO COME UP HERE SOMEHOW

Man that sucks, the guys who delivered mine dropped it off a day after release and left it under a chair on my porch hidden. :D

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Just started!

What a bunch of terrible people, lol! Well, apart from Aoi, Chihiro and maybe Sayaka.

kewlmyc

I don't feel bad for Celeste, which I imagine was the point, but I really did love it when the facade broke and she revealed her decidedly more... abrasive side. Moreover, what I loved is how she kept falling into and out of that prim French accented voice and her more coarse way of speaking really naturally - like she kept putting the mask on and it kept falling away. That was nicely done, and if that was entirely the voice artist's delivery, major fucking kudos. That was cool. But on that note, I swear to good god, Celeste's angry voice - I know it. It's killing me that I can't pull a name to match it, because I'm familiar as hell with it. If it's really the same person doing both, holy shit.

Chapter 3 end spoilers:
Celeste was my favorite until this case, when I first played it. I hated her after that. She got Taka killed for the dumbest reason. A Vampire Castle, are you shitting me? Previous murders were in the heat of the moment. She was the only one at that time to actually plan the whole thing out (well successfully, sorry Sayaka). Glad she got denied her "graceful" death.

Baliis

Man that sucks, the guys who delivered mine dropped it off a day after release and left it under a chair on my porch hidden. :D

Pretty much my story, except a mat instead a chair. Sucks that its taking some people so long to get theirs.

I feel this chapter was inspired by one of the many Steel Samurai cases in PW lol

The way the case and the trial panned out, with Byakuya being the Edgeworth to Makoto's Nick, catching Celeste from a slip of the mouth, it was just awesome

Ugh, I went to 2 different stores but none of them had this game. I'm thinking of just getting the digital version, but then my brother can't play it on his vita after I'm done...

Houk

NISA

Re: The killer/trial in chapter 3

We spent a lot of time with the actress before we actually started recording to get a feel for her transition in and out of the accent, so that once we got to those lines, she would know the rhythm of the personality.

For the individual lines, I had notes on them to let her know like, "Start with accent, end without," "Move in and out of the accent throughout the line," things like that, but she came up with the exact beats and rhythm herself.

Doing accents consistently is hard enough, but when you're asked to drop and regain your accent at specific times is 10x tougher. Huge kudos to the actress though, and I reeeaally we could credit her and all the others officially.

Steel

Banned

We spent a lot of time with the actress before we actually started recording to get a feel for her transition in and out of the accent, so that once we got to those lines, she would know the rhythm of the personality.

For the individual lines, I had notes on them to let her know like, "Start with accent, end without," "Move in and out of the accent throughout the line," things like that, but she came up with the exact beats and rhythm herself.

Doing accents consistently is hard enough, but when you're asked to drop and regain your accent at specific times is 10x tougher. Huge kudos to the actress though, and I reeeaally we could credit her and all the others officially.

Yeah, overall the voice acting was impressive with this game. Nicely put together.
Ending Spoilers:
That makes me wonder, though, how much harder was it to get the real Junko's voice over done. I mean she had a different personality every other line.

Labrys

ah, small thing but i happened to catch it,

in the opening, toward the end, the image saying (chapter 2 spoiler mention)
"the case files of genocider syo"
was left unedited. not buggy or anything because it's such a small part of the overall game, i just found it.

I've never played any game like this, ever.

Picked it up on a whim based on the OP and now I can't put it down.

So twisted, so fantastically mind grabbing. I'm enjoying this game more than I've enjoyed any game in quite a long time.

The game does a great job of being friendly to new players to this type of game without dumbing down anything. It's crafted incredibly well.

I laughed out loud at the bear pun joke at the beginning. Was it in the fan translation cause I don't remember it?

Fun lil jab at Teddie/Zero III and similar tropes.

Yeah, overall the voice acting was impressive with this game. Nicely put together.
Ending Spoilers:
That makes me wonder, though, how much harder was it to get the real Junko's voice over done. I mean she had a different personality every other line.

Thats how your mark spoilers bro.

Moonlight

Banned
@Steel: You may want to consider un-spoilering 'ending spoilers' since the given context of what you were quoting implies chapter 3. I almost hit a spoiler mine.

Chapter 3 end spoilers:
Celeste was my favorite until this case, when I first played it. I hated her after that. She got Taka killed for the dumbest reason. A Vampire Castle, are you shitting me? Previous murders were in the heat of the moment. She was the only one at that time to actually plan the whole thing out (well successfully, sorry Sayaka). Glad she got denied her "graceful" death.
Definitely. I can't say Celeste was ever my favourite, but I seriously can't believe she'd go so far and get so elaborate for something so petty. And to feel absolutely nothing. Ugh.

I feel this chapter was inspired by one of the many Steel Samurai cases in PW lol

The way the case and the trial panned out, with Byakuya being the Edgeworth to Makoto's Nick, catching Celeste from a slip of the mouth, it was just awesome
I guess that'd make Hiro the Larry Butz then, heh.

This is amazing. Allow me to say again, huge kudos to that VA for what she accomplished. It was so good I was half-sure it was two people, haha. This kind of insight never fails to be fascinating in any case. Thanks.

Shame that they're not going to get properly recognized for it, though. I'm assuming some agreement related to unions?

Top Bottom