• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc |OT| Hope vs Dis Bear ( ´º)

Just look for the (ʳ ´º㉨ϟ)ʳ to know there's no unmarked spoilers here.

Cause (ʳ ´º㉨ϟ)ʳ doesn't want to get you spoiled.
I just see "Dangan..." and already click the new posts icon.

I'll just make sure to always enter this thread via the subscriptions.

PKrockin

Made it to the investigation phase of chapter 2. I'm 2 for 2 on guessing who gets the axe. lol

It's pretty cool how they force you to choose who you spend free time with. You invest in them only for them to potentially just die. Very fitting for the type of game it is.

3 problems with class trials:
- Some people like Makoto speak too slowly
- The rhythm battles are nonsense
- The switching and firing speed of truth bullets are too slow. Once I come across a nonstop debate where I don't predict what I'll need to do ahead of time I probably won't be able to switch bullets, fire, and hit the bullet in time even if I saw the contradiction the instant the words appeared. Seems a bit cheap.

But the trials are still pretty cool. Putting a timer on things definitely amps up the pressure.

FluxWaveZ

I've got a question concerning the resolution of chapter 3:

Without spoiling anything that comes next, what exactly would have happened if the plan had been executed without Celeste tying up the loose end? If Hifumi were still alive and the class trial had happened with Hiro being falsely labeled the blackened, would both Hifumi and Celeste have survived even though the only one who committed a murder was Hifumi?

I thought that regardless of any type of cooperation, there could only be one blackened? Or is there a big exception that if you're the one who basically plans the murder to that extent, you'd also be counted as a blackened in addition to the actual killer?

Labrys

Without spoiling anything that comes next, what exactly would have happened if the plan had been executed without Celeste tying up the loose end? If Hifumi were still alive and the class trial had happened with Hiro being falsely labeled the blackened, would both Hifumi and Celeste have survived even though the only one who committed a murder was Hifumi?

I thought that regardless of any type of cooperation, there could only be one blackened? Or is there a big exception that if you're the one who basically plans the murder to that extent, you'd also be counted as a blackened in addition to the actual killer?

only the person that commits the murder goes free, so celes would be executed with the rest of them while he went free.

FluxWaveZ

only the person that commits the murder goes free, so celes would be executed with the rest of them while he went free.

Then...
Hifumi was a massive idiot for not realizing that? He should have seen Celeste's plan as flawed, from his perspective, from the very start.

Only the person that commits the actual murder is blackened. There's no room for accomplices since there's nothing to win unless you commit a murder yourself, which was what Celeste used to trick Hifumi into killing Taka, she'd help him stage a murder and then she'd murder someone else herself so they'd both theoretically get out

Moonlight

Banned
Then...
Hifumi was a massive idiot for not realizing that? He should have seen Celeste's plan as flawed, from his perspective, from the very start.
What he didn't realize was that only the person who masterminded the crime gets blackened, not simply the person who did the deed. How Celeste explained it was that he would kill someone, then Celeste would kill someone, and they would both be considered the 'blackened' and therefore could both graduate.

Then...

Yes, but
the plan was for Celeste to murder someone else while Hifumi murdered Taka. She just never told him who that would be.

FluxWaveZ

Only the person that commits the actual murder is blackened. There's no room for accomplices since there's nothing to win unless you commit a murder yourself, which was what Celeste used to trick Hifumi into killing Taka, she'd help him stage a murder and then she'd murder someone else herself so they'd both theoretically get out

Ah, it's the last part that I must have missed. That would make sense, in that case.

Steel

Banned
Yes, but
the plan was for Celeste to murder someone else while Hifumi murdered Taka. She just never told him who that would be.

More CH 3
Of course, this was before Monokuma mentioned to the entire group that only one blackened, regardless of how many murders are committed by separate people, can leave. I get the impression that Celes might have asked Monokuma that in private.

Man, this game. Finished chapter 1 and I can't believe I was even considering not playing this. Loving the presentation, and the premise / plot might as well have been specifically made for me.

Chapter 1 spoilers:

Sayaka was high up my list of potential fruit loops, so the truth about her actions clicked reasonably early on. I'm pro-devious/unstable girls so I think I actually liked her more by the time the trial was over, though that didn't stop me swearing repeatedly at the realisation that she tried to throw Makoto under a bus. Kinda wish she'd made her final message a bit less overt, since it left the mystery deader than she was.

Leon, dude, you deserve everything you get for thinking with your balls. Geddit, balls? Felt slightly bad for him for being a pseudo-victim and for not knowing about the trial beforehand, otherwise he's no great loss. His execution was funky as hell and I can't wait to see what future showcases Monokuma has in store.

I'm probably hoping against hope here, but please let Celeste live through all this. Pretty please with frilly lace on top?

PK Gaming

Alright, finished up Chapter 3. Probably the most satisfying case yet - though I feel like it had the least surprises. Obviously, end of chapter spoilers to follow.
I had Celeste's number the moment that Hiro's guilt became blindingly telegraphed. Especially because it became pretty clear that Celeste was the one most obviously trying to control the narrative - between corralling all the others to where she wanted them to go at the beginning of the case (and being the one to find the bodies), and constantly reminding them of the obvious factors of Hiro's suspicion. But as I write this, I'm finding it pretty doubtful that it was ever intended to be much of a surprise - the real meat of the story wasn't in the who, but the how. And the how was impressively constructed. Loved unraveling the plot, and if I saw Celeste's involvement clear as day, I definitely didn't see Hifumi's involvement as an accomplice coming. That was really nicely executed.

But yeah, as I said. Satisfying as hell. Really, really fun to piece everything together and nail Celeste to the wall with the evidence. And this might seem a bit of a stretch, but I think the most classically... eh, Ace Attorney of them. Something about the case really struck me as something not unlike what Ace Attorney would do - with you sort of acting as Hiro's defense. It even had the Ace Attorney villainous true colours personality reveal!

I don't feel bad for Celeste, which I imagine was the point, but I really did love it when the facade broke and she revealed her decidedly more... abrasive side. Moreover, what I loved is how she kept falling into and out of that prim French accented voice and her more coarse way of speaking really naturally - like she kept putting the mask on and it kept falling away. That was nicely done, and if that was entirely the voice artist's delivery, major fucking kudos. That was cool. But on that note, I swear to good god, Celeste's angry voice - I know it. It's killing me that I can't pull a name to match it, because I'm familiar as hell with it. If it's really the same person doing both, holy shit.

And despite not feeling bad for Celeste, it was sort of nice, and sort of sad, seeing the mask come off completely. For once in her life, she sounded pretty sincere. And a tinge melancholic. I don't know how it compares to the Japanese equivalent, but I really liked the vocal delivery of her stuff. Resigned, but not checked out.

But, you only have to remind herself she killed two people to relive a Twilight-themed castle fantasy, and you plummet straight back down to earth.

And man, I'm just gonna say that the beginning of Chapter 3 tripped me the hell out.
It's comforting to know that Chihiro is still with us, in some shape or form. ;_;

Definitely my favourite Chapter thus far. Just excellent.

It's

Debi Derryberry, aka Jimmy Neutron, Zatch Bell, Nergal Junior... she voiced a couple of childhood cartoon characters, and i'm sure she's doing both voices.

And yeah chapter 3 was amazing for all of those reasons you stated. I mean it's decidedly obvious that it's her; the only question was how & why, and the execution was perfect on all fronts. I seriously didn't expect Hifumi to be roped in either, which is was surprising. He struck me as a type to make it to the very end.

Also Chihiro has literally become the embodiment of hope. B)

You can trust me, cuz i'm the ultimate listener. Execute me if i'm wrong.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh man, Chapter 3 is starting to get weeiiirrrddd....
Freakin' guy dressed up as a robot kidnapping people & whackin' them with hammers?
Okay, I seriously want to see where this is going.

Edit: Awww snap, investigation time......*few minutes minutes later* WUUUUUTTTTTT.
Taka got whacked as well along with Hifumi?! Damn, & just as he got a transformation!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Decently long. The game will tell you during a class trial tutorial when you're halfway through it, though I felt the halfway point was a little more than 60% of the way through.

Haha, sorry, I actually meant the size/GB :)

Moonlight

Banned
what what what what WHAT?!?!

Oh no, I just realized i've made a GRAVE MISTAKE.

It's Tabitha St.Germain

I'm 101% positive, you can slam the book on me if i'm wrong. Though if you don't respond, then i'll take that as a concession that i'm right!
Y'know, this sounds about right.

Labrys

It's Tabitha St.Germain

I'm 101% positive, you can slam the book on me if i'm wrong. Though if you don't respond, then i'll take that as a concession that i'm right!

i'm listening to her demo reel and i'm not hearing it. is there a better example that matches celeste's voice than that?

Baliis

Just finished chapter 3 as well.
the executioner and fireman monokuma are the most adorable things ever.

That said, I guessed most of the twists in the case with him still being alive and all. As others have said it had a really good AA vibe to it with defending the person who's initially presented as the culprit then revealing the true person beyond it.

Trigger

Thanks guys, I guess I'll keep on doing the social link stuff. Also, what is that on Mondo's head?

Pretty sure that's just his hair. Not sure how anyone takes a motorcycle gang serious when their leader's head looks like it has a corn on the cob on it. All he's missing is some butter.

Out of curiosity, what's the platinum situation like for this? Multiple playthroughs?

There's a chapter select screen so I don't believe you'd have to replay the whole game to get any trial trophy. The school mode trophies require multiple playthroughs of school mode since you can't see everyone's school mode ending in one playthrough. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong though.

Houk

NISA

It's Tabitha St.Germain

Sorry, but... :(

Anyway, I can't play this game anymore in case you do end up getting it right. So that's all from me!

(Really do wish I could confirm, though.)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Doing Chapter 3's trial & I really like how over time, a new mechanic is added to one of the sections you have to do, keeping things fresh. Heck, the fact that (not really a spoiler, but a nice detail to discover during Chapter 2)
the courtroom changes design with each case
is rather nice to see as well.

PK Gaming

Sorry, but... :(

Anyway, I can't play this game anymore in case you do end up getting it right. So that's all from me!

(Really do wish I could confirm, though.)

What...? No way. Ok I give, I'm ready for my execution.

I... I give up.

OTL

Unless I AM right and you're just saying to avoid getting into legal issues.

Well the only clue we have on who the voice belongs to (beyond the actual voice itself) is she is a native French speaker that had an accent at one point, lost it, but can turn it on and off.

Can we figure anyone out based on that? Really sucks not getting credit for your work, even if it is for legal reasons.

What other voices are uncredited?

FluxWaveZ

Well the only clue we have on who the voice belongs to (beyond the actual voice itself) is she is a native French speaker that had an accent at one point, lost it, but can turn it on and off.

I don't think that's necessarily true at all, unless it was officially stated somewhere.

how would the ultimate listener get executed anyway

i don't think i wanna know

Extremely loud, prolonged noises causing excessive blood loss from ears.

Moonlight

Banned
Why can't they reveal the voice list anyway? I mean, it's out now. What's the big deal?
The actor in question is very likely unionized, and this was very likely a non-union job. I'lll admit I don't fully understand the politics of it, but suffice to say, it's a no-no. Plenty of VAs usually take on alibis or their name is never let out entirely in these cases. Naoto from Persona 4, for instance, was a similar case. And it's why she had an all new voice for the Animation, as the people responsible for that dub couldn't actually find her.

Top Bottom