• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc |OT| Hope vs Dis Bear ( ´º)

PKrockin

This game sure is easier than Phoenix Wright. Just finished the trial of chapter 2, and I had figured out everything in the investigation, except
Byakuya's intentions. Mondo calling Chihiro "dude" at the very beginning of the investigation was so blatant I actually thought it might have been another typo at first. lol. Must have been more subtle in Japanese.

One thing that bugged me the whole trial and I'm still wondering about is
what was the "construction"/gatlin gun sound the clairvoyant guy heard?

Ch 2 Investigation spoilers

Fuck, I thought I was done with the worst of Makoto's stupidity after the "11037" thing but I totally forgot about "WHAT IS THIS MYSTERIOUS ROPE WITH A PLUG". Groan.

Ugh, yeah, that was even dumber. How was this a surprise to anyone? Did nobody take more than a sideways glance at the scene? Seriously.

This game sure is easier than Phoenix Wright. Just finished the trial of chapter 2, and I had figured out everything in the investigation, except
Byakuya's intentions. Mondo calling Chihiro "dude" at the very beginning of the investigation was so blatant I actually thought it might have been another typo at first. lol. Must have been more subtle in Japanese.

Essentially, he used a gender specific pronoun for girls and a gender neutral pronoun for boys in the Japanese version. It's a bit more noticeable than "she" vs. "they" because of differing levels of formality, but it's certainly more subtle than the "dude" thing.

Gotta ask... all these upskirt shots, were they "blacked out" for the western release or were they originally like this? Being (seemingly at least) censored makes them almost weirder than being so frequent in the first place.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Gotta ask... all these upskirt shots, were they "blacked out" for the western release or were they originally like this? Being (seemingly at least) censored makes them almost weirder than being so frequent in the first place.
I'm actually confused by this as well. Kotaku's review had "a weird upskirt fixation" in its "negative" section of the game, which I thought was weird since after finishing Chapter 4, I only really saw it happen maybe twice, Chapter 1 with
Junko standing on Monokuma
, which got blackened out & the ending of Chapter 3 with
Sakura fighting Monokuma, which you get a flat-out panty shot, though considering her build, I wouldn't really call it fanservice
. I kind of wanted to wait until I finished the game to bring it up, but I might as well ask.

Edit: GAAAAH, CHAPTER 4'S ENDING.
There was still an execution & he found Alter Ego!? DAMN YOU, MONOKUMA. HE WASN'T A KILLER!!

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Hi guys, I could use a little help on chapter 5.
I took a break from the game after blazing through 1-4. I can't for the life of me remember what room that pendant thing found on the masked girl's body is related to. A little reminder please?

Thanks!

Prelude.

I don't remember any censors in the PSP version.

Trigger

Hi guys, I could use a little help on chapter 5.
I took a break from the game after blazing through 1-4. I can't for the life of me remember what room that pendant thing found on the masked girl's body is related to. A little reminder please?

Thanks!

Pendant thing? You mean the key to the data lab?

Lusankya

There is no difference to the Japanese version.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Pendant thing? You mean the key to the data lab?
No, this after that. Monokuma told us we were broadcast on TV and we went back to the body to start the full investigation. I found this fragment of something with a red cloth (looks like a V shaped collar) and pendant thing (?) on it. Not 100% sure what it is, but Makoto claims to have seen it before.

Trigger

No, this after that. Monokuma told us we were broadcast on TV and we went back to the body to start the full investigation. I found this fragment of something with a red cloth and pendant thing (?) on it. Not 100% sure what it is, but Makoto claims to have seen it before.

Ooooh,
go to the gym.

Yasumi

Banned
I'm actually confused by this as well. Kotaku's review had "a weird upskirt fixation" in its "negative" section of the game, which I thought was weird since after finishing Chapter 4, I only really saw it happen maybe twice, Chapter 1 with
Junko standing on Monokuma
, which got blackened out & the ending of Chapter 3 with
Sakura fighting Monokuma, which you get a flat-out panty shot, though considering her build, I wouldn't really call it fanservice
. I kind of wanted to wait until I finished the game to bring it up, but I might as well ask.

Edit: GAAAAH, CHAPTER 4'S ENDING.
There was still an execution & he found Alter Ego!? DAMN YOU, MONOKUMA. HE WASN'T A KILLER!!

Just looked it up and yeah, the first one was definitely in the PSP version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GoOxZg2Ekk&t=13m54s

FluxWaveZ

For some reason, I thought chapter 4 would be the last one, which is why I was surprised when the game stated that (not really a spoiler, but...)
I was halfway through the game shortly into the trial.

I'm about 20 hours into the game and, even though I doubt it's an entirely accurate percentage, it was nice to see.

Labrys

(chapter 3)
iirc in the reload art book for celeste's execution they did plan showing bloomers or w/e but opted to black it out

which i'm glad they did, the stupid bath scene was enough unneeded fan service for a game like this. they decided to add like 4 fanservice-y scenes in 2 which is probably one of the only part of the game i dislike

(chapter 3)
iirc in the reload art book for celeste's execution they did plan showing bloomers or w/e but opted to black it out

which i'm glad they did, the stupid bath scene was enough unneeded fan service for a game like this. they decided to add like 4 fanservice-y scenes in 2 which is probably one of the only part of the game i dislike

This reminds me I need to get the Reload Artbook.

Chapter 4 just... just...

fkLF9.gif

I can't

Steel

Banned

The trials get more complicated as time goes on, though I guessed most of culprits easily enough. That being said I guessed most of the culprits in Phoenix Wright games pretty early on. The how of it becomes more complicated though.

That's more due to some PW trials having obnoxious logic than the game being easy per se. There were a couple times in PW that I had to use a walkthrough to actually get past some interrogations because the contradiction was extremely confusing and the evidence didn't make sense with it.

Danganronpa is "easy" because it has a clear line of logic that lets you figure out who the killer is with what you have at hand instead of calling in every now and then and changing the scenario.

Moonlight

Banned
I'd argue that Danganronpa is also easier because for a good portion of the trial, it'll generally give you only the 'right' truth bullet to use at the start of the Nonstop Debate, so you already have a good idea on what you're supposed to be looking for. As opposed to Ace Attorney, where you're free to present all the evidence you've gathered. It'd actually be sort of nice if the game mixed in the multiple truth bullets and the flashback bullets more into the equation. It's still fun, but I'd definitely agree that the game is easier.

But yeah, chapter 4. THAT WAS A THING. It really stuns me how this game manages to top itself time after time. Obviously, chapter 4 ending spoilers to follow.
It's the most scared as I've ever been during a trial so far. Aoi is easily one of my absolute favourites, and her somehow being responsible for her best friend's death was a morbidly likely possibility in my mind. I was actually pinning my hopes on it being Yasuhiro. Mostly because I picked him out as 'most likely to die' at the beginning of the game and I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop. But when it became obvious that he wasn't responsible (it'd be too easy, after all), I got this bad sinking feeling in my gut.

I wrote off Toko being the killer, because honestly, I think the revelation that she was Genocide Jill made her the least likely candidate to actually be a culprit in any further case. I was sort of vainly maybe hoping it was Byakuya, but honestly, I doubted that too. I doubted he'd be so insistent on arriving at the right conclusion if he were really the killer, although I thought maybe he was just making the case a little more 'interesting'. But I was desperate to consider every possibility other than Aoi, which started to feel likelier and likelier as Aoi's demands for a vote seemed less like an overwrought demand for justice and more a rush to arrive at the wrong conclusion. To that end, I actually more or less figured out a theory and flat-out never wanted to be more wrong about it.

What I assumed had happened was that Aoi had gone upstairs to the Chem Lab, and went to get the protein shake - though in some mishap, both the shake and the poison from the CHEM C shelf had both fallen on the ground - hence the huge spill, and by some quirk of fate, they happened to look identical. So, Aoi tried to scoop back in the protein, but didn't understand the implications of the poison powder, and gave it to Sakura to try and cheer her up. And when Sakura was attacked twice, she locked the door to try and make sure no one else could attack her, and drank the protein shake that Aoi gave her for the 'aches and pains'. And died. And Aoi would be considered entirely responsible thanks to the mastermind clause of graduation.

In hindsight, it doesn't make much sense, as it didn't account for the powder stain on her shoe, or why the bottle was found on the shelf, but at that point, I wasn't sure if I was thinking entirely straight. No one has any idea how hard I was marking out when Kyoko told everyone she didn't think Aoi was the killer. And ironically, when Aoi became all the more insistent that she killed her, I became all the more convinced that she didn't, and the game still had one more card to play. Maybe that sixteenth student that the game was hinting at previously? Maybe it was actually Byakuya, who seemed really insistent that the case had ended with Aoi?

Speaking of, it gratifies me to no end to finally put one over Byakuya, holy shit. Seeing him so flustered that someone figured out something he didn't felt unbelievably satisfying. Apologies for the continuing Ace Attorney comparisons, but it's a feeling not unlike outsmarting the prosecutor acting opposite to you, and I have to say, that feeling is all too great. Rubbing that in Byakuya's face, man. So good.

I really do feel for Sakura, though. Caught between a rock and a hard place, and she took the hardest way out for the sake of her friends.

But... man, that ending. Truly this game knows how to inspire so much hope and convert it to so much despair. I was legitimately getting hyped over the idea that, for once (and through Sakura's sacrifice) we'd outplayed Monokuma's game, and everyone dismissing his assertion that Sakura's death would somehow destabilize the group even more, and further his killing game. To hear everyone reject that, to say that they were even more resolved to betray Monokuma, that felt great. And I know that I spent a bit talking up how nice it was to humble Byakuya for once, I got really excited when he declared that he was exiting the 'game', and declaring that his efforts would go towards finding and punishing the mastermind responsible for it. Maybe not solidarity, but it's the closest that one could imagine you could get with someone like him.

But just when the outlook's looking real good...

...goddammit. Fuck. That was just spiteful. Alter Ego didn't fucking deserve it. Oh my god. Fuck you, Monokuma. I'm getting worked up thinking about it. This game had the gall to kill Chihiro twice. That might have actually hurt the very essence of my soul. All he wanted to do was fight for his friends. ;_;

Like, that slow, horrible moment of recognition when you realize who the execution is for. And then you see Alter, glancing around while trying to smile, before Monokuma fucking annihilates him. Oh my god.

And that 'present' we got from Monokuma, the 'Alter Lump'. Talk about salt in the wound. Although, I guess that's about as classy as you can expect Monokuma to be.

That end of chapter stinger was something else, too.
Man, this game is too good.

PKrockin

That's more due to some PW trials having obnoxious logic than the game being easy per se. There were a couple times in PW that I had to use a walkthrough to actually get past some interrogations because the contradiction was extremely confusing and the evidence didn't make sense with it.

Danganronpa is "easy" because it has a clear line of logic that lets you figure out who the killer is with what you have at hand instead of calling in every now and then and changing the scenario.
This is it. In PW most of the evidence and facts of the case are hidden until sometime in the courtroom phase, or day 2 or 3. In Dangan Ronpa the norm seems to be giving you all the evidence you need before you start the trial.

PW does have some problems with Phoenix's/the player's expected logic not lining up with the player's actual logic though.

Finished chapter 1. Nice final line.

The game is certainly grim and violent, but based on what I had been hearing, not nearly as much as I expected. Which is a bit of a letdown to the apparent psycho in me. Still got a whole lot of game left, though...

Einbroch

Banned
Case #2 has a really stupid contradiction in the trial. This is not a spoiler.

Someone says it's FALSE (in orange). You know it's true, but apparently you're not supposed to tap on it, even though you know it's true. It's only later do you contradict the specific fact. That was the only time when I went "come on" and the game kind of got a little game-y for me.

Cheska

Such a wave of relief to finally have my LE in my hands! A few days late, but at least I have it to play this weekend. Can't wait to see what all the hype in this thread has been about.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Ugh, want to start Chapter 5, but I think I should give this game a break and get back to finishing the prologue of Bravely Default so I don't feel as though I tried blasting through this game.

Labrys

a tip for people playing, doing sakura's free time events will give you a skill along the lines of "steady breathing" (i dunno how NISA translated it)

this keeps the crosshair during trials from moving at all. it's really useful.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
a tip for people playing, doing sakura's free time events will give you a skill along the lines of "steady breathing" (i dunno how NISA translated it)

this keeps the crosshair during trials from moving at all. it's really useful.
Yeah, another suggested one is Leon and getting a skill that increases the speed of your "ammunition" when you shoot it.

PK Gaming

Hmm, how do I about this without spoiling...

A certain actor did an outstanding job at making a character sound flustered in chapter 4

Byakuya
(mild chapter 4 spoilers)

Labrys

Yeah, another suggested one is Leon and getting a skill that increases the speed of your "ammunition" when you shoot it.

wow in retrospect that's terribly ironic

Chihiro gives you one that gets rid of the penalty for silencing assertions, which is good if you're going for the white noise achievement

FluxWaveZ

Oh man, chapter 5's getting wild and I've started the investigation.

Prediction/rambling:
I can't imagine the victim is actually Kyoko. You know, I'm kind of doubting that the one that blew up was actually human anyways since the murder report didn't start once the "body" was discovered, though that might just be because Monokuma was still playing dead.

Then again, it had blood at the spot it was stabbed and it seemed pretty human. I just don't think that the one lying there was either this Mukuro Ikusabe person or Kyoko. And it's hard to believe that Makoto, Byakuya, Yasuhiro, Hina or Toko were actually involved... I feel that Kyoko must be the one that planted the knife into the "body."

Roto13

The white noise is easy to deal with because you can just tap the rear touch pad and you can't ever accidentally hit the wrong thing.

pariah164

Oh man, chapter 5's getting wild and I've started the investigation.

Prediction/rambling:
I can't imagine the victim is actually Kyoko. You know, I'm kind of doubting that the one that blew up was actually human anyways since the murder report didn't start once the "body" was discovered, though that might just be because Monokuma was still playing dead.

Then again, it had blood at the spot it was stabbed and it seemed pretty human. I just don't think that the one lying there was either this Mukuro Ikusabe person or Kyoko. And it's hard to believe that Makoto, Byakuya, Yasuhiro, Hina or Toko were actually involved... I feel that Kyoko must be the one that planted the knife into the "body."
/waits, nomming popcorn

just beat this game

Its pretty good. Not like VLR or Ace Attorney good but its definitely a game. I would give it an 8 out of 10 where 5 is average/mediocre.

I like the large cast and I like the theme of the game. The mystery aspect of the game wasn't as good as VLR or AA but it makes up for it in other ways.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The white noise is easy to deal with because you can just tap the rear touch pad and you can't ever accidentally hit the wrong thing.
Yeah, I just do this so I don't have to deal with aiming & it's just faster at times when there's multiple noise on the screen.

Speaking of which, is there a good "grinding" spot for white noise in case I don't get 500 by the time I finish the game? I think I got the 100 during chapter 2.

Hmm, how do I about this without spoiling...

A certain actor did an outstanding job at making a character sound flustered in chapter 4

Byakuya
(mild chapter 4 spoilers)
Such a satisfying moment/performance.

just beat this game

Its pretty good. Not like VLR or Ace Attorney good but its definitely a game. I would give it an 8 out of 10 where 5 is average/mediocre.

I like the large cast and I like the theme of the game. The mystery aspect of the game wasn't as good as VLR or AA but it makes up for it in other ways.

I actually enjoyed this game more than the AAs, though perhaps I need to replay them. Conceptually, it holds together a lot better, even if each case is for the most part compartmentalized as well; you're constantly uncovering clues as to what the overall story is. If my memory serves me, in AA, the only cases that are usually tied together are the first and last of a game, or in rare cases the ones that call back to earlier games. Well, I'd put it on par with the AA games; I think AA stumped me more than this game did, even if it was some 5 or so years ago.

Also, (vague spoilers)
the last trial was epic. The whole concept of not just finding out who the killer is, but addressing every single remaining mystery was very exciting since it left very little exposition to the end. I mean, they had been feeding us hints the entire game, but it was on us to piece things together. I'll concede, however, that there were a few culprits that were telegraphed a little strongly (the first and third trial killers were obvious, and some people said the second was pretty obvious as well).

Anyway, I digress. I love all these series anyway. It's a shame they don't get the attention they deserve (poor Zero Escape :( ).

I actually enjoyed this game more than the AAs, though perhaps I need to replay them. Conceptually, it holds together a lot better, even if each case is for the most part compartmentalized as well; you're constantly uncovering clues as to what the overall story is. If my memory serves me, in AA, the only cases that are usually tied together are the first and last of a game, or in rare cases the ones that call back to earlier games. Well, I'd put it on par with the AA games; I think AA stumped me more than this game did, even if it was some 5 or so years ago.

Also, (vague spoilers)
the last trial was epic. The whole concept of not just finding out who the killer is, but addressing every single remaining mystery was very exciting since it left very little exposition to the end. I mean, they had been feeding us hints the entire game, but it was on us to piece things together. I'll concede, however, that there were a few culprits that were telegraphed a little strongly (the first and third trial killers were obvious, and some people said the second was pretty obvious as well).

Anyway, I digress. I love all these series anyway. It's a shame they don't get the attention they deserve (poor Zero Escape :( ).

Well, at least DR is doing well and seemingly growing (even if we are still talking about niche games) so there is an audience for these types of games. I don't know about AA numbers and even tho I have heard many times that the sales get weaker with each sequel or something I think the 3DS game did pretty well tho? Shame that Capcpom is not really 100% behind the series when it comes to localization tho. I hope the original trilogy port for 3DS gets localized so it can attract new fans, I'd buy it for sure.

Zero Escape is certainly unfortunate but indeed the sales were never too good to begin with and VLR didn't do much even tho the budget was probably way bigger than 999.

Heres hoping DR3 comes out soon enough so NIS can look into localization with Vita audience still being hopefully active in the west.

Top Bottom