• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc |OT| Hope vs Dis Bear ( ´º)

Labrys

also, don't mean to double post, but was it shot down that Paula Tiso doesn't voice Celeste? because i've been going through the first trial and i'm really really hearing Sylvia Christel from No More Heroes in her voice

789shadow

Banned
also, don't mean to double post, but was it shot down that Paula Tiso doesn't voice Celeste? because i've been going through the first trial and i'm really really hearing Sylvia Christel from No More Heroes in her voice
We can't know who voiced her since it was non-union work or something.

LProtag

Made it through the first trial (after accidentally failing to understand the rhythm mini-game...) and I'm really enjoying it so far.

I did get some plot points about a character or two ruined for me a while ago by accident, but hopefully it wasn't anything too major.

Squire

Banned
Been busy the last couple days, but I just put about three hours in and I'm at the investigation phase of Chapter 3. The cast is really starting to grow on me. It sucks knowing that the prime suspect in this case probably isn't the actual criminal. It would suck even it were them, though. I like all these guys so much I don't really want to imagine it's any of them. The group dynamic is so interesting. It reminds of Persona 3, actually. They're not really friends, but they've thrown together and they have to work together and deal with each other. The (knife) twist being that at any point, given the right motive, someone could turn.

Also, I'm loving the references in here, Houk. This is great stuff.

Well, I just realized that the actual release fmdate for Europe is on the 20th, so I won't be able to buy it today.
The despair is unbearable.

Lusankya

Well, I just realized that the actual release fmdate for Europe is on the 20th, so I won't be able to buy it today.
The despair is unbearable.

fmdate? Just a typo or do you mean something special. If it's just a typo then rejoice, the game is out in Europe since 14.02.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Are the trophies bugged?

I got the "beat every trial without taking damage", "beat every trial without using concentrate", and "beat every trial without using retry" trophies after not retrying, concentrating, and dying at just the chapter 2 trial.

So uh Chapter 5 spoilers here, like MASSIVE SPOILERS
Was I supposed to go along with Kyoko or was I supposed to reveal her lie?I feel like I've made a horrible decision

Not gonna lie , i made a 7 minute pause wondering what to do the first time i've played this game when i reached this point..

i was frozen listing positives and negatives... and i love when a game make me do that..

fmdate? Just a typo or do you mean something special. If it's just a typo then rejoice, the game is out in Europe since 14.02.
Yeah, it was a typo, but where i checked it still says 20th February, maybe somewhere it already came out and somewhere else didn't. Like here in Italy ú_ú

Lusankya

Are the trophies bugged?

I got the "beat every trial without taking damage", "beat every trial without using concentrate", and "beat every trial without using retry" trophies after not retrying, concentrating, and dying at just the chapter 2 trial.

No, just a mistranslation/bad wording.

Are the trophies bugged?

From what I understood you actually need to do it in a single trial not everyone. Not sure if it's a bug or if they simply wrote the Achievement wrong.

derwalde

finished chapter 1. anyone on the verge of buying: get this game. im especially impressed by the gameplay right now (much more diverse than e.g. 999 imo). and damn i like the general artstyle.

Finished the game, endgame spoilers

Kind of disappointed with the ending. I had already spoiled myself with Junko being the mastermind but even without that you could see the plot twist from a mile away. Same as the whole world being destroyed thing, by the end of the first chapter I already thought something like that had happened. Plus not showing how outside looked like when they opened the door was pretty cheesy. That said, I love how the characters never actually fully "changed" in their developments. like Byakuya who gets friendlier as the game goes on but still ends up a sadistic asshole.

Oh well, fantastic game nonetheless. Guess I'll just have to look up answers in the sequel lol

Are the trophies bugged?

I noticed that as well. It must be a mistranslation on NISA's part. Honestly I'm kinda glad that I don't have to replay EVERY trial. I accidentally shot evidence at one of the statements in chapter 1 so I automatically lost the "don't take damage trophy."

Are the trophies bugged?

Wrong translations, I checked the Japanese list and they used the word "izureka" that means "any" and not "every".

PKrockin

Going into the chapter 3 trial now. I still figured out what actually happened, but this time I'm fuzzy on many of the details, so it should be interesting.

I love how by chapter 3
Monokuma popping up mid-conversation hardly even seems to phase them anymore.
It's kind of annoying how they never mention where Monokuma is coming from or where he goes when he's done talking. There are multiple Monokumas in every room? Where? Is there a trap door in every tile of the floor? I know it's one of those things I'm just supposed to accept for the sake of the story but it feels a bit dumb and cheap.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I like Persona. I like VLR. I find Phoenix Wright annoying with the pixel hunting. Should I buy this?

pariah164

I like Persona. I like VLR. I find Phoenix Wright annoying with the pixel hunting. Should I buy this?
Yes. It's not too annoying to hunt for clues, and the story itself is worth the price of the game. One of the best games on the Vita. It's right up there with Persona 4 Golden for me.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It should be mentioned while in rooms, you can press the Triangle button & it'll have circles appear over everything/everyone you can examine/talk to. & I recall if you check the map via main menu, it'll have exclamation points on places you should visit/check. The game is rather helpful on what you need to do next.

Yeah, if there's one thing it does better than Ace Attorney, it's the investigation portions. It highlights interactable objects, marks important rooms you need to visit on the map, and doesn't let you leave a room until you're finished with everything you need to do in it.

This last point isn't always true but it happens enough. If it does let you leave without everything, they, at least, have the MC say "looks like that's all I will get from this" or something else to that effect.

You sure? Hm, suppose I must be very thorough then. The only time I recall being allowed to leave a room without being finished with it in any of my playthroughs was when it was a room that's not directly connected to the hallway (like, a room accessed from another room). But even then, if you try to go back to the hallway it'll tell you you're not done.

Sorian

Banned
Finished the game, endgame spoilers

Kind of disappointed with the ending. I had already spoiled myself with Junko being the mastermind but even without that you could see the plot twist from a mile away. Same as the whole world being destroyed thing, by the end of the first chapter I already thought something like that had happened. Plus not showing how outside looked like when they opened the door was pretty cheesy. That said, I love how the characters never actually fully "changed" in their developments. like Byakuya who gets friendlier as the game goes on but still ends up a sadistic asshole.

Oh well, fantastic game nonetheless. Guess I'll just have to look up answers in the sequel lol

Endgame spoilers still:
Thankfully, I was not spoiled on anything in the game except for the fact that Byakuya would live through it. I didn't guess that Junko was the mastermind until we were hunting for clues in the last investigation but it had to be telegraphed in some way because of the nature of the game. Unlike a phoenix wright game, these seem to give you all the clues you need during the investigation phase so its completely possible to have it figured all out walking into the courtroom which happened a lot for me in the game. The devil was in the details, of course but the point is the same. I will agree that I felt a bit shafted not seeing what outside looked like but for now, I take Junko at face value and I assume the sequel will give me some more answers. My real hook was the fact that monokuma turned back on.

Yeah, if there's one thing it does better than Ace Attorney, it's the investigation portions. It highlights interactable objects, marks important rooms you need to visit on the map, and doesn't let you leave a room until you're finished with everything you need to do in it.

This last point isn't always true but it happens enough. If it does let you leave without everything, they, at least, have the MC say "looks like that's all I will get from this" or something else to that effect.

I clicked the spoiler thread on accident.

Thank god work WiFi is so slow and it didn't load before I could hit the back button.

I started chapter 4 last night. Not as far as I hoped to be but I think I can probably beat it tonight.

I keep feeling like what could they do next before every murder.

Chapters 4 and 5 spoilers:

In all my years of gaming, the climax of chapter 5 was the most difficult decision I've had to make, spanning about 20 minutes and a sandwich. I'm sure a lot of players found it easy, but my distrusting mindset coupled with the fact that I always take my first answer to be my 'canon' one (if that makes sense) meant that I spent far, far too long thinking it through. In the end I chose correctly, though it was more out of general unease and utterly uncharacteristic blind faith in Kyoko than anything else. I figured I'd screwed up and was cursing myself for going against my principles until Monokuma suddenly announced Makoto was the culprit and tried to turn him into a pizza.

The trial itself was largely Makoto vs Kyoko, and it was probably the most enjoyable one so far because I didn't have a firm understanding about everything that was going on. I gather the next chapter's the finale, so I'm looking forward to (hopefully) having all my questions answered.

I don't have a great deal to say about chapter 4. Suicide was one of the first possibilities to go through my mind when I saw Sakura's corpse smiling, and being unable to find any other plausible explanation for the sealed room pretty much, er, sealed the deal. Major newfound respect for her after the trial. I enjoyed seeing Togami floundering after those revelations as much as I hated seeing Chihiro MK2's unwanted redesign.

How long is this game?

Took me 28 hours:

daganronpa_completeo6sib.jpg

I took my time though, didn't skip any dialogs, spent an hour or two getting presents, and inspected everything I could find.

I don't remember a single time the game let me leave a room before getting all the clues without saying something like "hmm maybe I should come back here later" or some shit like that.

After this I fucking diving head first into VLR... Or should I play 999 first? I also want to get into the AA games. Is it necessary to go through them chronologically, or can I pick up the 3DS one to start? I played the demo a bit.

First I have to beat this magnificent journey.

Sorian

Banned
I don't remember a single time the game let me leave a room before getting all the clues without saying something like "hmm maybe I should come back here later" or some shit like that.

To be honest, I never missed anything in a room anyway so I don't know about dialogue he would have said on the way out of the room, I just know it's possible to leave based on the odd places some people have gotten stuck.

Chapters 4 and 5 spoilers:

In all my years of gaming, the climax of chapter 5 was the most difficult decision I've had to make, spanning about 20 minutes and a sandwich. I'm sure a lot of players found it easy, but my distrusting mindset coupled with the fact that I always take my first answer to be my 'canon' one (if that makes sense) meant that I spent far, far too long thinking it through. In the end I chose correctly, though it was more out of general unease and utterly uncharacteristic blind faith in Kyoko than anything else. I figured I'd screwed up and was cursing myself for going against my principles until Monokuma suddenly announced Makoto was the culprit and tried to turn him into a pizza.

The trial itself was largely Makoto vs Kyoko, and it was probably the most enjoyable one so far because I didn't have a firm understanding about everything that was going on. I gather the next chapter's the finale, so I'm looking forward to (hopefully) having all my questions answered.

I don't have a great deal to say about chapter 4. Suicide was one of the first possibilities to go through my mind when I saw Sakura's corpse smiling, and being unable to find any other plausible explanation for the sealed room pretty much, er, sealed the deal. Major newfound respect for her after the trial. I enjoyed seeing Togami floundering after those revelations as much as I hated seeing Chihiro MK2's unwanted redesign.

Only chapter 4 spoilers for mine:
I'm surprised that suicide didn't pop into more people's heads immediately, it seemed obvious during the investgation. They did during the class trial of making me waver in that opinion but it was still the only thing that made sense. Also, all hail our Alter Ego Lump based god, Monokuma is so good.

After this I fucking diving head first into VLR... Or should I play 999 first? I also want to get into the AA games. Is it necessary to go through them chronologically, or can I pick up the 3DS one to start? I played the demo a bit.

First I have to beat this magnificent journey.

Both of those series should be played in order of release, doing anything else would be a disservice to yourself and those franchises.

Both of those series should be played in order of release, doing anything else would be a disservice to yourself and those franchises.

Personally I'm waiting for news if the 3DS port of the original AA trilogy will be translated. For VLR I definately suggest playing 999 first and after that go with the Vita version of VLR if possible. 3DS version has save bugs or something and they never got around to patch them.

Sorian

Banned
Personally I'm waiting for news if the 3DS port of the original AA trilogy will be translated. For VLR I definately suggest playing 999 first and after that go with the Vita version of VLR if possible. 3DS version has save bugs or something and they never got around to patch them.

Personally, I hate the art assets used for the iOS/3DS port (I know there are probably less issues in the 3DS port like none of the music cut, etc. but art seems mostly the same and that was my biggest issue).

You absolutely MUST play 999 before VLR. To do otherwise would ruin most of the big twists in VLR.

Thanks I'll do that then. I wasn't sure if it was directly related. I've already got VLR on Vita just waiting. Thank god for BC on 3DS.

And I plan on playing all the AA games but wasn't sure if I could skip around or what.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

The game kinda looks like Persona (even with the music) with the lite "dating sim" elements, story level similar to VLR (well duh), and the trials are basically a much more interactive but lighter Phoenix Wright trial cases.

Top Bottom