• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc |OT| Hope vs Dis Bear ( ´º)

AniHawk

dr3 was said to be what, 10% done as of its announcement? despair girls could come out late this year, meaning it's a 2015 title in the west (if nisa gets it). dr3 is a 2016 title in the west at the earliest.

dr3 was said to be what, 10% done as of its announcement? despair girls could come out late this year, meaning it's a 2015 title in the west (if nisa gets it). dr3 is a 2016 title in the west at the earliest.

As much as I have faith in Vita audience being active in these dark times I'm still afraid to think what 2016-2017 will be like for the machine when it comes to localizations being viable. Games like DR ain't small at all in the end.

Well for now I can be happy that we are getting DR2. As for Despair Girls I dunno what to expect TBH.

I actually enjoyed this game more than the AAs, though perhaps I need to replay them. Conceptually, it holds together a lot better, even if each case is for the most part compartmentalized as well; you're constantly uncovering clues as to what the overall story is. If my memory serves me, in AA, the only cases that are usually tied together are the first and last of a game, or in rare cases the ones that call back to earlier games. Well, I'd put it on par with the AA games; I think AA stumped me more than this game did, even if it was some 5 or so years ago.

Also, (vague spoilers)
the last trial was epic. The whole concept of not just finding out who the killer is, but addressing every single remaining mystery was very exciting since it left very little exposition to the end. I mean, they had been feeding us hints the entire game, but it was on us to piece things together. I'll concede, however, that there were a few culprits that were telegraphed a little strongly (the first and third trial killers were obvious, and some people said the second was pretty obvious as well).

Anyway, I digress. I love all these series anyway. It's a shame they don't get the attention they deserve (poor Zero Escape :( ).

Actually I thought the last trial was
too obvious, the first thing that stuck out was the face. And It was super obvious once you hit the bio lab.

This game does a lot of things well (the ! on the map to let you know where you need to go/check out) but sometimes it guides you a bit too much.

VLR was a mindfuck because that shit was not at all obvious. DR? Eh its a good mystery game. Solid game overall.

robotrock

Banned
So uh Chapter 5 spoilers here, like MASSIVE SPOILERS
Was I supposed to go along with Kyoko or was I supposed to reveal her lie?I feel like I've made a horrible decision

This game seems to hate me.

I've had it freeze my vita twice, and it drained my vita to the point that the power save save state didn't work.

Anyone else having freezing glitches? No clue why, the only other game I've had this happen to was Ys celceta.

So I fucked up the first hangman's gambit on the second trial since I wasn't paying attention for a moment and missed the setup for the word I was trying to create. Failed, got to the "Is this it? Is it all over?" yes/no choice. Since it gave you the option, I figured choosing no would give you some sort of cool game over, everyone dies cutscene, so I figured I'd choose that once... nope, just back to the main menu. Damn. Reload, O button engage!

Chapter 3 spoilers:

It hurts.

it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts

I usually take great satisfaction in figuratively nailing the culprit to the wall during the trial, but Celeste was the one person I didn't want to expose. Even if it was depressingly obvious that she was the villain, almost right from the moment the show began and she had everyone running around like well-trained vampire butlers.

I suppose I should be grateful that she was given a chance to shine like this, rather than being consigned to victim status. There was nothing particularly perplexing about this case other than Hifumi's un-dying words, so the most memorable part of the trial was her performance, particularly towards the end when her demeanour cracked and her more... er, assertive personality traits began manifesting themselves. The VA's work here was absolutely exceptional.

I was pleased that her entire scheme was premeditated, thereby putting her on a level of maliciousness above the previous two killers. Throw in her betrayal of Hifumi, her (expressed) lack of remorse and her generally dubious morals and she was quite the wonderfully nasty piece of work. RIP.
I have removed the execution from my memory.

Oh, I suppose I can take some solace in the fact that Chihiro is back with us, at least in 011100110111000001101001011100100110100101110100.

LX_Theo

Banned
So I fucked up the first hangman's gambit on the second trial since I wasn't paying attention for a moment and missed the setup for the word I was trying to create. Failed, got to the "Is this it? Is it all over?" yes/no choice. Since it gave you the option, I figured choosing no would give you some sort of cool game over, everyone dies cutscene, so I figured I'd choose that once... nope, just back to the main menu. Damn. Reload, O button engage!

Yeah. I think the reload/main menu option is primarily there because a trophy is available for needing no retries through the playthrough.

Another Episode: Spring 2015
DR3: Fall 2015

Keep that two-a-year hype going! :D

Baliis

Probably a dumb question, but in chapter 4
what am I supposed to be doing after weighing the bottles? No one has any new conversations for me that I can find or anything new to investigate

So, just watched the episodes of Danganronpa Abridged Thing.

Yes, it was pretty hilarious.

Isn't it? It subtly spoils some of the later game, so I wouldn't recommend watching it if you haven't finished it. It's very well done and the guy who does it really seems to enjoy doing it.

Also, some of the castings in the Abridged version are very close to what we got in the official dub.

LX_Theo

Banned
Here's a question since I don't want a search of the internet to spoil me on noteable stuff by accident... How is Danganronpa 2 related to the first game story wise? Direct sequel, thematic sequel? Just the same concept?

Wouldn't that be illegal, to charge me or demand it be sent back?

I'm pretty sure they are legally in the right to request you to send it back. Of course, they are paying the bill for any and all shipping. Generally, companies won't ask for it back if the money they lose is not worth the bad PR or the effort. If it was a mistake on mass that they made, there is a higher chance they will. If you don't give it back should they ask, I believe they can take legal action against you.

Caladrius

Here's a question since I don't want a search of the internet to spoil me on noteable stuff by accident... How is Danganronpa 2 related to the first game story wise? Direct sequel, thematic sequel? Just the same concept?

It's basically the same setup, but its theme and characters are dramatically different from the first game.

Direct sequel. Also answers some of the questions brought up in this game as well.

Voror

Just started and am in Chapter 1 right now. So in regards to filling out peoples events during free time, is there any set strategy or order that would be wise to do in order to get them all?

And with that trophy about the coins, should I just not spend any even if it means not getting any presents from the machine?

pariah164

Just started and am in Chapter 1 right now. So in regards to filling out peoples events during free time, is there any set strategy or order that would be wise to do in order to get them all?
It is impossible to complete every report card in one playthrough.

BgkC35DCUAEDxqW.jpg

BgkDPKeCYAAO37j.jpg

You would not peg Ishimaru as the one who wants to keep stripping Makoto.

notthati'mcomplaing

Yeah. I think the reload/main menu option is primarily there because a trophy is available for needing no retries through the playthrough.

Shit, wish I had checked that before starting. My old habit of keeping a few different save file "checkpoints" has fallen by the wayside in recent years.

Edit: Oh, I see that trophy is glitched, I actually have it already.

Voror

The post-game content will help out in that regard.
Namely, School Mode.

Yes, I was reading on that. Glad something like that is available.

What about the coins and presents though? Should I work on filling out as many of the presents as I can or save up on the coins?

AniHawk

As much as I have faith in Vita audience being active in these dark times I'm still afraid to think what 2016-2017 will be like for the machine when it comes to localizations being viable. Games like DR ain't small at all in the end.

Well for now I can be happy that we are getting DR2. As for Despair Girls I dunno what to expect TBH.

it would really need to be early 2016, and maybe across a playstation now sort of setup. or maybe multiplatform across some nintendo handheld platform too. i'm not sure if the vita will even be much of a thing in japan by late next year.

Noi

Yes, I was reading on that. Glad something like that is available.

What about the coins and presents though? Should I work on filling out as many of the presents as I can or save up on the coins?

The game will vomit coins on you later, so feel free to spend as wanted if you want to. I spent all my coins on presents until a later chapter where I comfortably stopped because I had enough presents for everyone.

Voror

The game will vomit coins on you later, so feel free to spend as wanted if you want to. I spent all my coins on presents until a later chapter where I comfortably stopped because I had enough presents for everyone.

Ah, alright then. Thank you. I'll don't have too many right now, but that'll change soon enough I imagine.

This game man.....this game.

Chapter 1 -
I was all ready for Sayaka to be the typical "childhood/schoolyard friend/love interest" and maybe even a possible Maya Fey vibe in the trial cases with this assistant talk and BAM! She's dead. And the best (worst?) part about it is, she's the one that initiated the murders....poor Leon was just defending himself (at first, anyway), then he went crazy too. The game practically tells you as soon as you examine her body but man...did not expect it to turn out like THAT. And all this time, she was using Makoto...that's crazy.

Chapter 2 -
Just finished this. So lemme get this straight...Mondo gets his older brother killed due to his ego. The brother died saving Mondo's life, Mondo took advantage of a lie that said the brother "just fucked up and lost", and has been living a lie ever since. Chihiro is actually a trap (and I'm not gonna lie, was kinda mad at this since it's so fucking cliche for japanese games these days) due to being a weak boy all his life, HOWEVER, everyone's deepest and darkest secret was going to be revealed and he decides to tell Mondo and actually decides to man up and Mondo kills him out of jealous. Oh and Toko is actually a serial killer and Byakuya found out and decided to frame her for the murder after the fact because he has nothing else better to do.

If 2 is supposed to be even better.....godamn.

Baliis

Finished chapter 4

I figured there was going to be a suicide case after it let you select dead people in the earlier cases, but really sad to see it play out like that. I kind of suspected Hina as it started to point to her, but her total lack of defense of herself pushed me off that to thinking she wanted it to be a wrong vote.

I'm still really wanting to know just who Kyoko is though

Einbroch

Banned
Why would you ever put in more than one coin into the machine mathematically? Well, apparently coins aren't an issue later, but it just struck me as odd.

Einbroch

Banned
Is there a trophy for getting every present?
Yeah, but I mean it never makes sense to put in more than one coin from a mathematic viewpoint. If you have a 50% repeat, and put in two coins one at a time, you'll have a 75% chance to get a new present. If you put in two coins at once, your chance is ~51.2%. Therefore, unless you have more coins than you know what to do with, you should always put in one coin at a time.

It would depend I guess on how software sales in general for the Vita hold up. For now I think they are at a point where publishers and developers in Japan can at least take notice of the sales of niche games in the West and take a hint. The entirety of last week was basically just niche Japanese game localizations left and right. It really just depends on the Vita's status as a console within the next few years, which is whats concerning, cause hardware wise it ain't doing so well.

We have seen stranger things, like Atlus localizing Aquapazza, or the fact that we're getting the Neptunia PP Idol Game (which is actually really awful, even by Neptunia standards).

Labrys

Chapter 2 -
Just finished this. So lemme get this straight...Mondo gets his older brother killed due to his ego. The brother died saving Mondo's life, Mondo took advantage of a lie that said the brother "just fucked up and lost", and has been living a lie ever since. Chihiro is actually a trap (and I'm not gonna lie, was kinda mad at this since it's so fucking cliche for japanese games these days) due to being a weak boy all his life, HOWEVER, everyone's deepest and darkest secret was going to be revealed and he decides to tell Mondo and actually decides to man up and Mondo kills him out of jealous. Oh and Toko is actually a serial killer and Byakuya found out and decided to frame her for the murder after the fact because he has nothing else better to do.
i'd avoid using "trap" as it can be considered a slur for transgender people

Top Bottom