• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc |OT| Hope vs Dis Bear ( ´º)

Tumblr_inline_mm163uHay91qz4rgp.gif

Well this is shorter if that makes a difference to you or not.

This first. Shorter and you'll have less chance to be spoiled by completing this ASAP.

These sound compelling enough lol.

I even skipped the anime last year because I was wanting on the game. Probably shouldn't put it off any longer.

I really, really love that even when you have auto-advance turned on it still allows you to press a button to skip to the next line of dialogue without disabling the auto setting. For voiced dialogue auto advance actually goes fast enough but for non-voiced segments it's still nice to skip the extra second or so sometimes.

Nearing the end of the chapter 3 trial, methinks.
I really like how it seems they're starting to mix in the greater mystery of what's going on by dropping hints into the actual trial at hand. At least I think that's happening. We'll see.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Be like me & play Bravely Default until you reach the part where you can start rebuilding the village, then keep the 3DS in sleep mode, leveling up the village buildings while playing this game. That way, you're technically making progress in both of them!

& speaking of the anime, is it worth checking out after I finish the game? I know everyone has said NOT to watch it if you haven't played the game (along with some mechanics being downplayed), but kind of interested to see now just from a comparison standpoint of what was changed & etc. Plus it'll give me a chance to hear the JPN voice acting since I've been listening to the English audio.

I really, really love that even when you have auto-advance turned on it still allows you to press a button to skip to the next line of dialogue without disabling the auto setting.
Seriously. I'm loving this trend of text-heavy games having auto-advance options for the textboxes. BlazBlue's story mode, Virtue's Last Reward, Bravely Default, & this. I really hope more games do this.

Sorian

Banned
These sound compelling enough lol.

I even skipped the anime last year because I was wanting on the game. Probably shouldn't put it off any longer.

For the best honestly, I only stayed spoil-free by completely dropping the game off my radar and then once it had released and I started playing by avoiding any and all google searches or youtube videos pertaining to the game. I recommend you do the same, no matter how innocent you think the thing you just searched for should be, something will pop up with a spoiler.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Damn, this sounds like my cup of tea. I really need to hold off until I've finished either VLR or P4G though. Will add it to my virtual backlog

& speaking of the anime, is it worth checking out after I finish the game? I know everyone has said NOT to watch it if you haven't played the game (along with some mechanics being downplayed), but kind of interested to see now just from a comparison standpoint of what was changed & etc. Plus it'll give me a chance to hear the JPN voice acting since I've been listening to the English audio.

Sure, it's watchable after you finish the game. Going in with expectations that the anime is basically a cliffnotes version of the game is probably the best way to enjoy it.

Plus you see everything somewhat animated. And monokumadance.gif. And the ED is awesome.

Kind of disappointing that the post-trial, pre-execution segments aren't fully voiced as they contain some of the most overt character work in the game.

Feep

Banned
So, I'm actually playing the game now!

1) Man, I have the worst memory ever. I don't remember saying ANY of these lines.

2) The first trial basically assumed I was a moron, but I'll cut it some slack because it was the first trial.

3) The free time feels super annoying to me (especially because I feel like I need to go through the slow, slooooooooowwwwwwww MonoMono machine animation for gifts). Running around trying to find specific people is lame, and what good are all these abilities and SP+1's anyway? The "rhythm" portion of the game is mind-numbingly dull, even on Mean.

4) Still enjoying it a lot, though. The localization really is extremely well done. (Thumbs up to Houk) I love Celeste. Hate Hagakure.

789shadow

Banned
3) The free time feels super annoying to me (especially because I feel like I need to go through the slow, slooooooooowwwwwwww MonoMono machine animation for gifts). Running around trying to find specific people is lame, and what good are all these abilities and SP+1's anyway? The "rhythm" portion of the game is mind-numbingly dull, even on Mean.
There should be a map with the locations of all the students. You can even fast travel to certain spots, I think.

1) Man, I have the worst memory ever. I don't remember saying ANY of these lines.

2) The first trial basically assumed I was a moron, but I'll cut it some slack because it was the first trial.

4) Still enjoying it a lot, though. The localization really is extremely well done. (Thumbs up to Houk) I love Celeste. Hate Hagakure.

2. Everyone was basically a moron in the first case. I'm pretty sure Kirigiri was holding herself back from basically yelling the answer to everyone.

3. MonoMono machine does take a while. You can find where's everyone is by looking at the map and you can go to certain places directly from there as well.

I also will try and stop calling you Super Duper Prick not as often. :p

Trigger

Should I worry about finishing report cards and acquiring skills and the like or is it not a really big deal?

Not a big deal. There's an extra mode unlocked after completing the game that'll let you do that stuff. You can also replay the game and carry over your report card progress. Socialize with whoever you want, however you want.

also

Banned

2.) I just finished the 4th trial and that was the first time things got a little bit interesting and I couldn't outright guess what happened way before any of the reveals. Though I still didn't have any problems with the trial itself. Hopefully the next cases will be even harder because so far the game has been disappointingly easy.

3.) Use the map function to check where everyone is and fast travel (near) there.

Has anyone who completed either the JPN Reloaded version or Western THH version gone through School Mode yet? Is it similar to SDR2 where the events are all different from the regular 'free-time events' done in normal game? Because I have this odd feeling that the events are the same with not much added. The best part about Island Mode in SDR2 was how the events were all different and played differently from the "free-time events".

Labrys

Has anyone who completed either the JPN Reloaded version or Western THH version gone through School Mode yet? Is it similar to SDR2 where the events are all different from the regular 'free-time events' done in normal game? Because I have this odd feeling that the events are the same with not much added. The best part about Island Mode in SDR2 was how the events were all different and played differently from the "free-time events".

i know the school mode adds a few different things like

there's a section like the non-stop discussions but only with single characters, and you get the character's undies at the end of completing their events. from what i've seen

there's a section like the non-stop discussions but only with single characters, and you get the character's undies at the end of completing their events. from what i've seen

*brb going to unlock School Mode as fast as possible*

end of game spoilers

Do they ever explain the classroom with all the blood and chalk outlines?

IIRC, that will get explained in Danganronpa 2.

Trigger

end of game spoilers

Some students were probably killed during the Worst, Most Despairing event thingy. Makoto's class is supposed to be some of the last surviving students, no?

matmanx1

Well, I just finished the trial in Chapter 1 this afternoon and started on Chapter 2. Wow! Just wow! This game is fantastic! And I hear it only gets better?

They go into some more detail in 0 than 2 but yes there's a quick explanation in 2.
Speaking of 0....

Whose gonna do that? The fan translation team? Or maybe a pack in bonus with DR2 from NISA?

I heard that it's important to read it before playing DR2.

Well, I just finished the trial in Chapter 1 this afternoon and started on Chapter 2. Wow! Just wow! This game is fantastic! And I hear it only gets better?
And the sequel is even better than that!

I NEED TO FINISH THE MAIN GAME RIGHT THE FUCK TODAY NOW THEN

EDIT: Oh shit, I think I found something REALLY INTERESTING about the ending from School Mode. If anyone else has beaten it I'd like them to confirm it.

Usami apparently appears in the ending of School Mode? Usami is the pink bear from Super Danganronpa 2.

Little bit into chapter 4, exploded the new area and such. Speculation time!
"The Tragedy." General apocalypsey thing? Our heroes are former students of the school, as seen in the pictures, who had their consciousnesses loaded into some sort of computer for... reasons?

I dunno. Onwards!

Sorian

Banned
They go into some more detail in 0 than 2 but yes there's a quick explanation in 2.

You can keep it vague if you'd like (I'd rather you did): (read only if through with DR1 to be safe)
Does either 0 or 2 give a more tangible explanation of what the tragedy was? I can infer what they were going for but they left it really vague making me feel like there is more to it

LiK

Just finished it today. Holy shit, amazing.

The English VO was outstanding. If you're playing JPN, try the English VO, they're all excellent.

bigkrev

Some students were probably killed during the Worst, Most Despairing event thingy. Makoto's class is supposed to be some of the last surviving students, no?

Wasn't that
The Tragedy though? They were speculating that the death of the students may have been the worst event in human histroy, but obviously that was Despair taking over the world

bigkrev

Oh, and while it could have ended up super cheesey, I really liked how (Final trial spoliers)
You had to load and shoot "hope" into everyone in order to finish.
. I had a smile on my face the whole time!

You can keep it vague if you'd like (I'd rather you did): (read only if through with DR1 to be safe)
Does either 0 or 2 give a more tangible explanation of what the tragedy was? I can infer what they were going for but they left it really vague making me feel like there is more to it

It was not the "Worst, Most Despair Inducing Event in the History of Mankind" or however it's called, but the beginning of it/its trigger, the "Worst, Most Despair Inducing Event in the History of Hope's Peak Academy" and the first school life of mutual killing.

Labrys

I NEED TO FINISH THE MAIN GAME RIGHT THE FUCK TODAY NOW THEN

EDIT: Oh shit, I think I found something REALLY INTERESTING about the ending from School Mode. If anyone else has beaten it I'd like them to confirm it.

Usami apparently appears in the ending of School Mode? Usami is the pink bear from Super Danganronpa 2.

she's a rabbit, not a bear, but i haven't finished the ending so i can't confirm it

end of game spoilers

this gets explained in the next game

As someone who's completed SDR2 twice, I'll try and clarify on these as vaguely as possible. The ones for Danganronpa 0 aren't as bad as you would think. It seriously just serves as a sort of other media device to help clarify on the events of Danganronpa

Those were people that died in The Tragedy, no?

Danganronpa 0 Spoilers:
They were the student council I believe. The participants of the original School Life of Killing

Danganronpa Zero Spoilers: Uh, read the above spoiler.

Super Danganronpa 2 Spoilers:
Without saying much. They do actually clarify and add a bunch more stuff to the events of "The Tragedy", or as it's known in the game, the most Despairing Event.

she's a rabbit, not a bear, but i haven't finished the ending so i can't confirm it

Ah that's right. I always forget that detail about her.

Speaking of 0....

Whose gonna do that? The fan translation team? Or maybe a pack in bonus with DR2 from NISA?

I heard that it's important to read it before playing DR2.

And the sequel is even better than that!

Houk, our favorite NISA guy mentioned that they don't have the rights for 0 nor have they really done anything like that (light novel translating) so at this point, doesn't look like NISA will be doing it.

The group that did the fanstranslation for the first game still has plans to translate 0 at least.

Sorian

Banned
Danganronpa Zero Spoilers: Uh, read the above spoiler.

Super Danganronpa 2 Spoilers:
Without saying much. They do actually clarify and add a bunch more stuff to the events of "The Tragedy", or as it's known in the game, the most Despairing Event.

Ace, thank you. Gonna try to dig up that 0 stroy tonight then. Much excite!

The guy from Something Awful that did the original Let's Play has also translated the entirety of the first volume of 0, but I don't know about the progress in vol2.

Man, I'm having zero luck advancing any free time relationships by chapter 4.

Edit: Vaguely related, does your list of collected presents carry past individual playthroughs? I'm at 85% repeat so hopefully I can finish it up but I'm worried I'm running out of time/coins.

Houk, our favorite NISA guy mentioned that they don't have the rights for 0 nor have they really done anything like that (light novel translating) so at this point, doesn't look like NISA will be doing it.

The group that did the fanstranslation for the first game still has plans to translate 0 at least.
Oh, I hope they finish it before DR2 comes out.

Squire

Banned
Not a big deal. There's an extra mode unlocked after completing the game that'll let you do that stuff. You can also replay the game and carry over your report card progress. Socialize with whoever you want, however you want.

Yep. I love it.

Just finished the Ch. 3 investigation. I think I know the key to the case, but I have no clue who did it. I'm dreading the discovery.

Trigger

Edit: Vaguely related, does your list of collected presents carry past individual playthroughs? I'm at 85% repeat so hopefully I can finish it up but I'm worried I'm running out of time/coins.

Yes, your present list and skills carry over. Beat the game and you can replay trials to earn more coins and just buy other presents from the Extras menu later.

Yep. I love it.

Just finished the Ch. 3 investigation. I think I know the key to the case, but I have no clue who did it. I'm dreading the discovery.

The trial itself is actually pretty amazing. You're in for a treat.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yes, your present list and skills carry over. Beat the game and you can replay trials to earn more coins and just buy other presents from the Extras menu later.
I would like to add that if you level up 3 times with Celeste, you'll earn a skill that'll net you 10% more coins after trials, which'll help a little bit.

Top Bottom