• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc |OT| Hope vs Dis Bear ( ´º)

I really enjoyed this game and am sad that it's over. Any recommendations on similar games I'll probably enjoy if I loved this? People tell me to play 999 and VLR so I'll probably do that soon, but is there anything else?

999/VLR (Play 999 first!)
Ace Attorney series (Recommended to play in release order.)
Trace Memory/Hotel Dusk series (Again, release order is best.)
Sweet Fuse: At Your Side

FluxWaveZ

I really enjoyed this game and am sad that it's over. Any recommendations on similar games I'll probably enjoy if I loved this? People tell me to play 999 and VLR so I'll probably do that soon, but is there anything else?

Ace Attorney if you enjoyed the investigation scenes, courtroom drama and unique characters.

Zero Escape if you enjoyed the mood, general themes and unique characters.

LX_Theo

Banned

Phoenix Wright series, for sure.

If you like the tone of the story, go for 999 and vlr. If you like the gameplay of finding clues and use it on trial. Go for ace attorney series.

abrack08

Just finished chapter 2. I was worried after chapter 1 and the investigation period of 2 it was going to be incredibly obvious who the blackened was each time, but Trail 2 was really satisfying with some nice surprises. Loving this game. Then again, how could I possibly not like Zero Escape x Ace Attorney with social links?

Also, if Feed wanders in here, I think he's doing a great job with Byakuya! I wasn't sure it was her at first but Erin Fitzgerald as Toko is great too.

I am absolutely terrible at the courtroom stuff haha. I've been sitting here for 15 minutes unable to even fire a single truth bullet while the conversation loops again and again and again. I've read the tutorial and tried hitting every combination of buttons I can think of, but Naegi just has the same inner monologue every time.

AniHawk

I am absolutely terrible at the courtroom stuff haha. I've been sitting here for 15 minutes unable to even fire a single truth bullet while the conversation loops again and again and again. I've read the tutorial and tried hitting every combination of buttons I can think of, but Naegi just has the same inner monologue every time.

use the triangle button to shoot the truth bullets at the highlighted text.

Finished chapter 4.
My first instinct for the murder was in fact heroic suicide, but during the course of the trial they did a good enough job of leading you astray that I didn't feel like I was simply waiting for the inevitable the whole time. And the execution, that was just mean, lol. They should have had some final dialogue from him to really twist the knife.

Glad they're finally bringing in that mystery 16th student. I'm really enjoying the way the story has been structured across chapters. Starting to get that awesome "rushing towards the conclusion" feeling (though why did the game come out and say "you're halfway through now!" mid-chapter-4? I can't imagine I'm only halfway through...

You might as well start covering your room with newspapers now for the inevitable brain explosion from 999.

It's been a couple years for me and I'm still feeling shockwaves from that explosion. Man.

CHAPTER 3 SPOILERS

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

What a fucking ride. Convoluted as fuck, as to be expected from the Ultimate Gambler.

Give the devil her due, that plan was a goddamn solid one, which was both doomed and made better from Hifumi's...quirks. Him saying Yasahiro was the deal sealer 99% of the time. But it felt too clean from jump street.

And once that got rolling, shit went quicker than I expected. I connected the big case dots (Hifumi wasn't quite dead yet=he killed Taka then someone killed him) rather quickly, but it's still crazy.

I think of all the VA's, Celeste's was the most on point so far, simply because of how she conveyed everything. There were significant layers there: Blatant ones, of course (facade, natural angry personality, natural accepting personality) and it was done very well.

I thought it was pretty telling too how she didn't straight up snitch on Alter Ego; that meant to me that at least some small part of her gave a damn, but since she's gambler, that's not how she rolls.

RE: the other stuff, I'm really not a big fan of Sakura as a character, but we'll see.

tldr; FFFFFFFFFFFFF
I know you guys keep saying the sequel is better in every way, but to me, that's a real tall order.
And I should stop playing this damn game at night.

I love Celeste so much. She's the best character.

As for the second game being better, yeah, that's a tall order to live up to. I freaking LOVED this game start to finish.

Well, at the very least it's unarguable that gameplay wise it's better. Also having a first case that doesn't insult your intelligence gives it some more points.

Flandy

Just beat Chapter 3
Spoilers:
Well that was really complicated. I figured it was either Aoi or Celeste from the beginning. Thought it might have been Aoi because she seemed to be getting a lot of attention throughout the chapter and seemed defensive during the trial itself. I thought it'd be Celeste because she was acting different when we found the bodies. I guess stressed out for vulnerable would be the word? That and her sprite seem to have gotten more nervous/stressed. At one point I thought it was Sakura because I thought she might be able to fit in the costume. Poor Hifumi :lol

Kyoko is being all mysterious n shit. The bear did something to her body. The bear is holding a hostage over Sakuras head and I was knocked out in that secret room :O The plot thickens indeed. How did Kyoko find that room anyway? It was the boys bathroom after all >__>

GSR

Well, at the very least it's unarguable that gameplay wise it's better. Also having a first case that doesn't insult your intelligence gives it some more points.

Honestly, all the mysteries in DR2 are stronger than in DR1, I'd say, except maybe chapter 3. DR2's chapter 4 and 5 in particular are spectacular.

I also preferred DR2's cast, but that's more a matter of opinion. (Though at the very least they're much more competent as a rule than DR1's.)

I love Celeste so much. She's the best character.

As for the second game being better, yeah, that's a tall order to live up to. I freaking LOVED this game start to finish.

I'm not sure if I can handle the sequel. I'm barely making it through this colossus. This one will stick with me for a while, just like To The Moon did (for obviously different reasons of course)

Eh, I'm not coming to this for the game play, but if it's better, that is cool. The first case sucking/being short thing is cool (I'm used to Ace Attorney where the first cases are stupid/short), but I think I really needed a easy first case in this game. Cause this game brings fucking haymakers from the opening bell!

Honestly, all the mysteries in DR2 are stronger than in DR1, I'd say, except maybe chapter 3. DR2's chapter 4 and 5 in particular are spectacular.

I also preferred DR2's cast, but that's more a matter of opinion. (Though at the very least they're much more competent as a rule than DR1's.)

I agree with both counts. The cases in the first game
felt more like here's the different ways a murder can happen and be counted as one.
The second games' cases definitely felt a lot better in terms of craziness and variety.

I overall liked the cast of the second one more as well. While there are some standouts in the first game, there were some real duds while I thought in the second game, almost everyone was pretty interesting.

Moonlight

Banned
Right, so, finished Chapter 5 a little while ago, decided to take a bit to, uh, collect myself before writing down my thoughts. All I can say for sure is... holy shit. As always, end of chapter 5 spoilers ahead.
Everything about that case... just, god, I don't even know. Unbelievably harrowing. I don't know how this game keeps one-upping itself, but holy hell, it happens anyways. If chapter 4 frightened me, this turned it up to 11 in absolutely every way.

And starting it off like it did was... well, it didn't help matters. All the dread and uncertainty over whether or not the corpse was really Kyoko was getting to me hard, especially when Byakuya insisted on proceeding on that assumption. I had little doubt that the game didn't have the guts to do it, and you'd think the corpse's identity switching from Mukuro to Kyoko and back would help matters, you would be totally wrong. I'm still not entirely convinced it's either of them, to be honest. It seems so weird to me that Monokuma would hype her up as her ace in the hole (or trump card, whatever) and for Kyoko to warn me to look out for her when she shows up as a corpse the next chapter after. I'm beginning to expect that Mukuro is still alive, and this is possibly her attempt to write herself out of the game or something, as the mastermind.

So you can only imagine how relieved I was when Kyoko managed to return for the trial. Which quickly turned into confusion when the trial almost immediately put Makoto and Kyoko against each other. I really, really doubted Kyoko was responsible for the murder, but her immediately angling for Makoto's guilt in the case really came out of nowhere for me. Trying to understand what was going on, because man, that pre-trial fever dream did nothing but complicate things. Not enough to indicate Makoto's guilt, but still, weird as heck.

And excuse me while I go on a tangent and say that this case reminded me why I really don't like Yasuhiro. I was so convinced that he was gonna die super-early and I'm a bit stunned he's made it this far. That we had to spend the first segment of the trial trying to convince him that Kyoko wasn't a fucking ghost pretty much sums up how much I don't like him. Dude is stupid as all hell and never leads the flow of discussion anywhere productive or relevant.

And it all led into the big turning point of the whole case - whether to announce Kyoko's lie, or to stay silent. I can say with absolute confidence I consider it one of the hardest choices I've ever had to make in a game. I spent something like... ten minutes mulling over what I wanted to do - the flashback to what Kyoko said about taking risks didn't help matters at all. Was risking danger (and therefore 'moving forward') letting her lie stand, or not? Definitely unclear to me, and so I eventually went with my gut - and it's where all those games of Ace Attorney definitely failed me, where the underlying message impressed upon you the importance of uncovering the truth, no matter what, and uncovering every lie was the only way to get to the real truth.

So naturally, I made a terrible mistake.

I was rewarded (punished, rather) with what has to be the most awful, most tense execution sequence that this game has ever yet treated me to. It was just... god. Credit where credit is due, because it was perfectly executed in conveying the quite literally crushing despair. The rhythmic thud of the press hitting the belt, the gears cranking as they slowly pulled Kyoko to her death, the camera slowly getting dragged forward, all the while Kyoko tries her best to keep her composure and deny Monokuma some amount of his satisfaction. All the while I'm sitting there, hoping against hope that I made the right choice, that something, anything would intervene - that the machine would halt, that Kyoko had one last thing up her sleeve. And... well, nope. All that mounting tension is hammered in with a bloody squelch that left... entirely too much to the imagination.

And you have no idea how unbelievably shitty I felt. Especially that short sequence explaining what happened next. Just... empty existence after that. Wow.

So, of course, the game jettisons me back to the big choice right after, and there's really only one option left - after all, running away was plainly the worst option. So, I bit the bullet and did what I should have done in the first place: put my faith that Kyoko knew what she was doing. I'm still not entirely sure she did, because what happened to Kyoko... happened to me. Or, Makoto rather. And just like what happened to Kyoko, I was rushed into the execution hastily and was really not sure where this was going at all. I can't say for sure if maybe the moment lost some bite because I'd made the wrong decision before, but everything that I felt was true of Kyoko's execution was still very much true for Makoto's.

All the mounting tension of what had already happened, coupled with a morbid resignation tempered by what just happened to Kyoko, that Makoto would meet the very same fate. I was just asking a ton of questions to myself during that scene - what was going to happen, if I was going to die, and I started wondering if that, for the rest of the game, the perspective would switch to Kyoko or something. It was driving me a bit crazy, and then...

And then and then and then

BASED ALTER EGO SAVING THE DAY

OH MY GOD

Talk about vindication. Talk about a rescue. Alter Ego throwing a wrench in things was just... the biggest sigh of relief and shout of joy at the very same time. All that tension just shooting off my brain because for once, things went right - by which I mean, terribly wrong for Monokuma.

Speaking of, FUCK YOU MONOKUMA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

But yeah, all that faith I put in Alter... so glad that it wasn't for naught. It's pretty clear that he's not ever coming back again after this, but at least now, his death has true meaning. ;_;

As far as the trial itself, though, I'm remarkably satisfied with it. I think, after feeling pretty bummed at how simple the trials have mostly felt thus far, that it's really started to turn up the heat now. What I wanted the trials to do more of was give you more than the one bullet during the Nonstop Debates (which always gave you a pretty clear hint on what to look for) more often and utilize the Flashback Bullets way more, and I'm happy that Chapter 5 did exactly that. Was a much more difficult ride, which I am glad for. There was never any saving the Bullet Time Battles, but eh, they're pretty simple to get out of the way, so nothing to get too wound up about.

Apologies for the long-winded thoughts in any case. A lot I wanted to say.

Really antsy about starting immediately on the next chapter or sleeping this case off.

A question for people who have been with this series since the beginning, when the games were first announced, did they reveal the whole cast at once? I know games usually stagger character announcements, but considering the special circumstances of this game, I always wondered if they showed everybody at once.

A question for people who have been with this series since the beginning, when the games were first announced, did they reveal the whole cast at once? I know games usually stagger character announcements, but considering the special circumstances of this game, I always wondered if they showed everybody at once.

Dug through Andriasang's site (thank goodness it's still up) and it looks like everyone (minus you know the super spoiler characters) were revealed at the same time.

Ok, it's even funny that in the reveal trailer, Leon was still the one found guilty and sent to his death, lol.

Squire

Banned
You really can't start this game without a few hours free. It sucks you in completely.

So, I finished Chapter 3. Excellent case. Masterfully written; I had no issues with the logic.

As I said earlier, the whole affair seemed so mechanical I could see Celeste doing it. She was the only option, really.

I'm conflicted about her exit, personally. She always unsettled me. She gave me the creeps, but as cold and unfeeling as she was, I wanted to her stick around and I liked having her in the group. For a brief moment (when she copped to her real name) she kept it all the way real and I really respected that. That's an important moment for that character, brief as it is. Right after that she's back to the facade.

I guess I was hoping she would ultimately become a better person, but that just couldn't happen. :'(

Dug through Andriasang's site (thank goodness it's still up) and it looks like everyone (minus you know the super spoiler characters) were revealed at the same time.
That's what I thought.

It's really exciting to look at the whole cast at once and try to make your own conclusions. I hope they do the same with DR3.

Houk

NISA
Awesome write-up of chapter 5

I just wanna let you know that I'm really enjoying hearing your thoughts as you get through the game. While I was working on it, I had to understand the story from a very clinical, mechanical perspective and didn't get to experience the story as it unfolded. So it's really awesome getting to kind of live through you and everyone else vicariously and get some of that emotion secondhand.

So thanks, and keep it up!

Squire

Banned
So, about the title screen for Chapter 4

Who is that? A new character? The sixteenth student?

Should I just keep playing?

Neonsands

Neo Member
Not sure if they have a demo for this version, but one cool thing they did with the PSP release in japan, was that they let you play the evidence and trial parts of the first chapter, just the outcome is pretty different.

Chapter 1 Spoilers:
Instead of Leon, It actually ends up being Yasuhiro.

It's kind of cool just seeing the differences in an alternate reality where things just happened to go differently.

pariah164

Not sure if they have a demo for this version, but one cool thing they did with the PSP release in japan, was that they let you play the evidence and trial parts of the first chapter, just the outcome is pretty different.

Chapter 1 Spoilers:
Instead of Leon, It actually ends up being Yasuhiro.

It's kind of cool just seeing the differences in an alternate reality where things just happened to go differently.
Do they show an execution for Yasuhiro?

I just wanna let you know that I'm really enjoying hearing your thoughts as you get through the game. While I was working on it, I had to understand the story from a very clinical, mechanical perspective and didn't get to experience the story as it unfolded. So it's really awesome getting to kind of live through you and everyone else vicariously and get some of that emotion secondhand.

So thanks, and keep it up!

I do wanna thank you and the people at NIS America for bringing over this awesome game. Without you guys taking a chance in bringing it over, I wouldn't have thought of playing it. From beginning to end it was a true roller coaster of twists and turns, and enjoyed every second of it. You guys also did a great job on the translation, because this made me laugh a lot during the game.

A couple of favorite parts were from the Chapter 3 Class Trial. The first one is
Was Genocide Jack/Jill during the Nonstop debate about the Justice Hammers and saying "Sounds like a Justice Hammer 5 is about to makes its appearance! Check out murdergear.com/hammertime for more info!" I couldn't stop laughing after hearing that, the delivery of the line was just priceless.
The second one is
Celeste towards the end of the trial, where we saw her tear down that ladylike French-accented facade into screaming & cursing like a sailor.
The person who voiced her gave a great performance. And after the trial was over, I liked that she held her head high and bowed out of the game with dignity and grace even when she knew she was to be executed. Compared to the first three executions, I was actually saddened by the execution more than disturbed by it.
Though the Chapter 2 execution.....
The butter, OH DEAR ME THE BUTTER!!!!!!! O_O
And then THE PANCAKES....*faints to the floor*
And I'm super excited to play Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair in the fall. I wish you guys the best of luck on it.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The more time I spend here the more time my resistance of buying this game crumbles................................................................

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmh.

m0t0k1

Completed both these games on my psp. Is there anything new worthwile in the vita release like new chapters or something?

The more time I spend here the more time my resistance of buying this game crumbles................................................................

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmh.

The sexiness of despair compels you to buy it!
tumblr_inline_n0gq435sp01qgdj69.gif

Completed both these games on my psp. Is there anything new worthwile in the vita release like new chapters or something?

Well, 1 has School Mode but I dunno if 2 had anything extra.

m0t0k1

Well, 1 has School Mode but I dunno if 2 had anything extra.
Thanks i just looked into this but it comes down to more of a dating kind of thing then any extra story. Think i will stick with my psp games but i do wanna support the localisation. maybe when i have some extra money left during summer i will buy it.

AniHawk

Thanks i just looked into this but it comes down to more of a dating kind of thing then any extra story. Think i will stick with my psp games but i do wanna support the localisation. maybe when i have some extra money left during summer i will buy it.

there's 'island mode' which is similar to school mode from what i understand. i think there's another extra but i can't remember.

Top Bottom