• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc |OT| Hope vs Dis Bear ( ´º)

I'm fairly unsure of this game so far, although I've only completed the prologue and done a little bit of chapter 1, so my opinion should hopefully change.

I sort of feel like it's a poor imitation of 999, lacking the nuance and brilliance of it.

The soundtrack—Takada is literally God—is phenomenal. Suda is a fool for letting him go.

I absolutely hate the character artwork and the English voice-acting didn't seem that good, but the backgrounds and presentation are great and Monokuma is obviously awesome.

I'm enjoying the soundtrack way more than the game at this point, but hopefully some crazy plot-twists and such will win me over.

co1onel

The more time I spend here the more time my resistance of buying this game crumbles................................................................

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmh.

I was scrolling through this thread debating whether or not this game was worth it, when I saw your post and decided to bail before I it was too late. I'll come back to you some day when I have more money danganronpa :(

I must be totally fucking up with the controls during the nonstop debates. I even looked up a walkthrough video because I thought I might be tapping/clicking on the wrong part, but no it's just not registering for whatever reason.

Ending spoilers. Do not click / quote unless you've finished the game:

Jesus christ on a sharp pointy stick. Junko's a strong contender for the most screwed up fictional character I've ever had the fortune to encounter. Her identity as the mastermind was the one piece of information I'd had spoiled beforehand, but even so, nothing could've prepared me for quite how... Junko she was.

Once the remainder of Mukuro's student profile came to light (specifically the part about the absence of previous wounds), the truth behind her murder quickly fell into place. Knowing the identity of the mastermind doubtlessly made it much easier to solve than it otherwise would've been.

While that part was reasonably straightforward, what I wasn't prepared for, and what I really hadn't given enough consideration to beforehand, was the truth behind the cast's circumstances and Junko's motivations. The fact that everyone was formerly classmates was expected, the fact that Junko was utilising their horrific game to crush the last vestiges of hope in an anarchic, ruined world was... uh, less expected.

The 'final battle' was touching, and just for a moment I loved all of the surviving characters (even Togami). I wish the mechanics there (with one 'break' affecting other text / options in the same round) had been used elsewhere in the game, since it worked well and could've increased the difficulty at times.

Yeah, the difficulty. I don't have many complaints about the game, but the challenge (or lack of) would probably be one of them. Perhaps I would've been better off disengaging my brain during the investigations, since it would've increased the amount of on-the-spot thinking required during the trials, and thereby the difficulty / tension / enjoyment.

That aside, I greatly enjoyed this and I suspect it'll be one of, if not my favourite game I play this year. Now to wait for SDR2 and to check out some of the side material. I'll keep avoiding fan-art though, because FUCKING FAN-ART SPOILERS

Finally, I would pay good money to see Toko's face when she sees the outside world, having been Jill for the entirety of Junko's dialogue.

Dachande

Post-chapter 3 question:

How are you able to tell Kyoko in the music room that you saw Sakura fighting with Monokuma? It wouldn't let me tell her, and I assume there was something I had to do in the earlier chapters that I missed to enable that option.

That pissed me off a bit, actually. I hate that kind of design, it's unfair. Enjoying the game otherwise though.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Celeste is like my goddess.

Finally, I would pay good money to see Toko's face when she sees the outside world, having been Jill for the entirety of Junko's dialogue.
She'd probably start screaming and Byakuya would tell her to stop breathing lol

The fact that Toko survived still makes me so happy. I love her character so much, specially the Genocide persona. KYEHAHAHAHAHA

kewlmyc

Post-chapter 3 question:

How are you able to tell Kyoko in the music room that you saw Sakura fighting with Monokuma? It wouldn't let me tell her, and I assume there was something I had to do in the earlier chapters that I missed to enable that option.

That pissed me off a bit, actually. I hate that kind of design, it's unfair. Enjoying the game otherwise though.

I hate that part of the game too bro. It's the illusion of choice.

Regginator3

Neo Member
Just completed the game, what a blast that was. Stayed up all night playing it because I was gripped by the story. Cases 5/6 aw yeah.

case 4 spoiler
Am I the only one that thought case 4 was the most obvious case? All the others took me by surprise a little (though I had the general idea where things were going with each case in terms of circumstances, not the killer though) but as soon as it was said that Sakura said "I'm going to end it" it became really obvious that she was going to take her own life.

Trigger

Just completed the game, what a blast that was. Stayed up all night playing it because I was gripped by the story. Cases 5/6 aw yeah.

case 4 spoiler
Am I the only one that thought case 4 was the most obvious case? All the others took me by surprise a little (though I had the general idea where things were going with each case in terms of circumstances, not the killer though) but as soon as it was said that Sakura said "I'm going to end it" it became really obvious that she was going to take her own life.

It was the locked door and her smile that more or less sealed it for me. I couldn't imagine any other scenario except a suicide.

pariah164

It was the locked door and her smile that more or less sealed it for me. I couldn't imagine any other scenario except a suicide.
Nobody took notice of her smile at all. It made me go 'yeah she totally had a poisoned protein drink or something on purpose'. That case sold Sakura as one of my favorite characters. Also, I liked her Report Card interactions best.

Not sure if they have a demo for this version, but one cool thing they did with the PSP release in japan, was that they let you play the evidence and trial parts of the first chapter, just the outcome is pretty different.

Chapter 1 Spoilers:
Instead of Leon, It actually ends up being Yasuhiro.

It's kind of cool just seeing the differences in an alternate reality where things just happened to go differently.

We would have been spared of IS KIRIGIRI A GHOST? so the game probably would have been better. Then again, Maizono would still be alive.

pariah164

Has anyone ever gotten this error?:

An error has occurred in the following application.
(C2-12828-1)
Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc

Have gotten this twice this morning while trying to (post game spoiler, just in case)
play School Mode
. Doesn't affect my save data (thank god), but it shuts the game down and makes me reboot it. I have a physical copy of the game.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Finished first trial, and a bit into chapter 2.

The trial sequence was rather interesting, though a bit to obvious and generous with hints. I expect the difficulty level to climb as the game progress along. (?)

The rhytm section at the end though, what's up with that? Felt very out of place to me.

Overall: Loving it. Those Zero Escape / Ace Attorney feels

I beat this yesterday and having let my mind dwell on things overnight I can comfortably say it's the best 2014 release (or should that be re-release?) I've played so far this year...well except it's currently the only 2014 release I've played this year but that's besides the point, this was good fun from start to finish and I'll be there for the sequel which it fortunately seems like we wont be waiting too long for.

Quality dub as well, I certainly think it amplified my enjoyment of Byakuya and Celeste in particular.
By the way, the drawn out process of getting stuff from the capsule machine? that right there is true despair.

The rhytm section at the end though, what's up with that? Felt very out of place to me.

These really stuck out like a sore thumb, I appreciate the attempts at variety during class trials but these were at odds with everything else and I don't think they got any better as the game went on.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
These really stuck out like a sore thumb, I appreciate the attempts at variety during class trials but these were at odds with everything else and I don't think they got any better as the game went on.

I felt like the real weakness was the Hangman's Gambit for me. I didn't mind the BTB too much.

I felt like the real weakness was the Hangman's Gambit for me. I didn't mind the BTB too much.

Hangman's Gambit could be pretty weak at times, the one
with the four letter word possibly in chapter 4
was kinda hilarious in how obvious it was.
As I said I like the idea of variety, it's more of a matter of making the pieces all fit together with the deduction process.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So quick post-Chapter 5 trial question.

Is it ever explained how Toko died in the bad ending's event picture, considering Byakuya is holding her picture? I like to think Byakuya snapped at the idea of having kids with Toko, so he killed her.

Is it ever explained how Toko died in the bad ending's event picture, considering Byakuya is holding her picture? I like to think Byakuya snapped at the idea of having kids with Toko, so he killed her.

Sure, let's go with that.

Well it's never explained but it be many of reasons. Childbirth complications, she could have snapped cause she married a prick, etc, etc.

Trigger

Couldn't she be the person taking the photo?

If he had killed her there would've been a trial, which = dead Byakuya or dead everyone else. I think it's more likely that Byakuya chose to have a kid with Asahina rather than Toko, causing the latter to kill herself out of despair / rejection etc.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Couldn't she be the person taking the photo?
Doubt it. For one, could easily just be one of the surveillance cameras, and her picture is in one of those frames that are usually used to indicate that a person has died/passed away, from what I've seen, & displayed at funerals or an alter.

Also why would I not be surprised to see fanfic/pics of that ending

PK Gaming

Doubt it. For one, could easily just be one of the surveillance cameras, and her picture is in one of those frames that are usually used to indicate that a person has died/passed away, from what I've seen, & displayed at funerals or an alter.

Also why would I not be surprised to see fanfic/pics of that ending

She probably died from natural causes. If she was killed / committed suicide, then there would be another class trial, and Makoto said that there weren't any more class trials from that point on.

FluxWaveZ

She probably died from natural causes. If she was killed / committed suicide, then there would be another class trial, and Makoto said that there weren't any more class trials from that point on.

Or she broke one of the rules. Thinking about this too hard isn't really worth it; she could have just been killed for one day sleeping outside of the dorms. The alt. ending is all kinds of crazy anyways.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm not sure if the comparison is apt, but this game feels hella tedious compared to something like 999 or VLR. The social stuff is the nature of the game I suppose, that's how they build characters here, but man I've been dragging my feet trying to play this after a couple hours. Hopefully I'll change my tune once I put some more into it.

If he had killed her there would've been a trial, which = dead Byakuya or dead everyone else. I think it's more likely that Byakuya chose to have a kid with Asahina rather than Toko, causing the latter to kill herself out of despair / rejection etc.
Yeah, I think the same lol

Hell, the kid could've been Toko's - which I kind of imagine would be the case since I don't think Byakuya would've been holding her portrait that meekly if it weren't the case - and Hina is just taking care of him or something, we'll never know

I'm not sure if the comparison is apt, but this game feels hella tedious compared to something like 999 or VLR. The social stuff is the nature of the game I suppose, that's how they build characters here, but man I've been dragging my feet trying to play this after a couple hours. Hopefully I'll change my tune once I put some more into it.

You really can't make an accurate judgement about the game until after the first trial.

Phii

Banned
I've just finished Chapter 3

F*ck this game. F*ck everything. I'll find your reincarnation shape and together we'll build your stupid castle, my love.

okayfrog

Banned
Big spoiler question: If I already know
who the main bad guy or killer or whatever is
, should I still play the game, or is it pretty much pointless?

Jamix012

Has anyone ever gotten this error?:

An error has occurred in the following application.
(C2-12828-1)
Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc

Have gotten this twice this morning while trying to (post game spoiler, just in case)
play School Mode
. Doesn't affect my save data (thank god), but it shuts the game down and makes me reboot it. I have a physical copy of the game.

I actually got this too. All I had to do was play some regular trial mode and save at the earliest possible convenience. Then I was able to play school mode from where I left off.

FluxWaveZ

Big spoiler question: If I already know
who the main bad guy or killer or whatever is
, should I still play the game, or is it pretty much pointless?

Uh, well I definitely wouldn't say it's pointless since that only becomes a major plot line in the story more than halfway through the game. Before that, the intrigue mostly revolves around isolated incidents and not the big bad.

Out of curiosity, who is it?

okayfrog

Banned
Iunno, I forgot the name, but I know it's something where once I see the name, I'll go, "Ahh, that's who it is." Anyways, 'bout what I expected, thanks.

CHAPTER 4 SPOILERS

MY BRAIN IS ALL OVER THE FLOOR
Hina went full on broken bird there, didn't she? Almost Sayaka level there...

Sakura really earned her keep on this case: She definitely got piled on there from Hiro (dumbass) and Toko (dumbass pt 2).

Hina straight up wanting out because she figured out what happened was one of the saddest things I've had come up. Try as she might to rig it in her favor (with two other blatant suspects, and her serving herself up at one as well), it just didn't work.

Byakuya being wrong was DELICIOUS. That's the good stuff right there. Suck it, Sherlock.

Kyoko pulling the silent routine over Makoto not saying stuff was real stupid; I agree with whoever said I would've told her. That's some Persona shit of the 'Here's the choice OH BTW you can't actually pick it' variety.

ALTER EGO NOOOOOOOOOO D:

But man, Monokuma's starting to unravel a bit. Things aren't going the way they want...

LET'S DO THIS KIDS

tldr; YUSSSSSSS

Steel

Banned
CHAPTER 4 SPOILERS

Kyoko pulling the silent routine over Makoto not saying stuff was real stupid; I agree with whoever said I would've told her. That's some Persona shit of the 'Here's the choice OH BTW you can't actually pick it' variety.

To be fair, she said she read everything in that secret room and never tells you the info she got, so it's not like she was completely open. But yeah, the choice loop annoyed me too.

pariah164

I actually got this too. All I had to do was play some regular trial mode and save at the earliest possible convenience. Then I was able to play school mode from where I left off.
Yeah, that's what I end up doing. So weird, but eh. As long as I don't lose my save, I'm fine.

Trigger

CHAPTER 4 SPOILERS

ALTER EGO NOOOOOOOOOO D:

I'm probably the only person who played through Chapter 4 and didn't care much.
It's awful that Alter Ego was destroyed, but moreso because of the implications for the students' investigation than any feelings for the AI.

Squire

Banned
Just reached the Ch. 4 investigation. Here's what I'm thinking.

The killer is Asahina. I'm guessing the idea was Sakura's; she wants Hina to make it out alive and she's always tried to protect her. This is the ultimate form of that, but also a sort of redemption for her, to make up for spying on the team. Byakuya's too obvious, but I'm sure the first half of the trial will be Hina pushing the crime on to him, anyway.

The character in the title screen for the chapter must be someone AE is going to make contact with. The art looks like Chihiro's face crossed with someone else. Someone vaguely familiar...

I'm probably the only person who played through Chapter 4 and didn't care much.
It's awful that Alter Ego was destroyed, but moreso because of the implications for the students' investigation than any feelings for the AI.

I just imagined that Spike Chunsoft wanted to bury for good that Chihiro, Mondo and Ishimaru friendship that they been killing off one by one and one again.

Trigger

Just reached the Ch. 4 investigation. Here's what I'm thinking.

The killer is Asahina. I'm guessing the idea was Sakura's; she wants Hina to make it out alive and she's always tried to protect her. This is the ultimate form of that, but also a sort of redemption for her, to make up for spying on the team. Byakuya's too obvious, but I'm sure the first half of the trial will be Hina pushing the crime on to him, anyway.

The character in the title screen for the chapter must be someone AE is going to make contact with. The art looks like Chihiro's face crossed with someone else. Someone vaguely familiar...

zxHct.gif

Top Bottom