• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc |OT| Hope vs Dis Bear ( ´º)

sub_o

Ohh...seems Monokuma is actually the same voice as Agumon, and not Teddie.

The japanese voice of Monokuma is the voice of Doraemon.

I'm somewhat amazed that this game managed to get USK-16 rating here. Some of the scenes are just brutal.

Currently at the end of first chapter, I like almost every part of it, except for the rhythm game, I'm terrible at it.

Bit ambivalent when it comes to the social 'links' part though.

Phii

Banned
Finished the game

First of all, the music is great. The Discussion tracks were my favorites; the voices in the background are so amazingly satisfying.

I think the game's three first chapters were better than the final ones - the mystery bringed a great atmosphere.

I feel one endless anxiety right now of all mine reflections and given empathies I had throughout the game with the characters...

So if you excuse me...
... I need a hug...

EDIT:

Also, does anyone knows where I can find this "apple-gift-card-style"-picture of Celestia (with transparent background)?
2014_02_20_0fg13519.jpg

Based on your comment below, I'll recommend the first Corpse Party. It will deliver on the grim, psycho and violent if you felt Danganronpa was underwhelming in those areas. (Playing it with headphones in a dark room is required.)

Oh, cool, this looks good. I had heard of it but hadn't actually realized it was on PSP in the US, available in the PSN store for Vita as well. Might actually jump into this next. Thanks!

It's not that long. We're lucky that NISA is fast tracking it. Anyway, have you played the Ace Attorney series?

Yep! Played most of them. I actually have Dual Destinies downloaded already, just haven't gotten to it yet. It took me a long time but I finally jumped into 999 (which then sent me down the path to these) after I realized that Phoenix Wright was pretty much the same type of game, which had inexplicably never occurred to me.

You want something to appease the psycho in you? Go play Saya no Uta. There's a few sex scenes, but they're only meant to further the horror. One of the most fucked up works of fiction ever.

Looked up a bit about this, and... man, I like me some grim, messed up stuff, but this might be too much for me. The visuals of constant gory gross stuff lining all the walls and whatnot would probably get to me after 10 or 15 minutes :lol

Looked up a bit about this, and... man, I like me some grim, messed up stuff, but this might be too much for me. The visuals of constant gory gross stuff lining all the walls and whatnot would probably get to me after 10 or 15 minutes :lol

To be fair, sometimes the perspective switches to the guys friends or acquaintances, so it's not scenery gore nonstop. But yeah, there's a lot of it...

Really, one thing that makes the game so damn unsettling is the soundtrack.

Einbroch

Banned
Finished chapter 4. Good stuff, good stuff.

Kinda wished Monokuma didn't tell everyone the true suicide note. It was very dark and a little unsettling until he revealed it and everyone went all "We're friends!" mode.

boinx

Just got the game today and chapter 01 spoilers:

My smile and optimism after Junko died: gone. She had some fine waifu potential. And a question relating to the various deaths and replayability, do the character deaths always occure at the same points in the story, like could someone else have died in place of Junko and Sayaka in chapter 01 for example?

My smile and optimism after Junko died: gone. She had some fine waifu potential. And a question relating to the various deaths and replayability, do the character deaths always occure at the same points in the story, like could someone else have died in place of Junko and Sayaka in chapter 01 for example?

Sadly the story is fixed. People die when they are supposed to even if you don't want them to.

No, the game has only one story path with the exception of a minor choice later on. Everything will happen the same way no matter what you do.

boinx

Ok, thanks for the answers guys. Disappointing to hear it tho, would have made this game waaaay more replayable and interesting. But eh, i've been liking it so far anyways.

PKrockin

^ That would have taken a tremendous amount of effort in a game like this.

Well, as much as I found this game pretty predictable, it was still an enjoyable ride. Great art and music, intense trials, and the free time and investigations didn't drag. Nonstop Debate was lots of fun, they just need to improve the other minigames. The ending was great too.

I wonder if this or 999 would be a better game to introduce a mystery fan to first.

PK Gaming

If it's any consolation, you unlock "School Mode" after beating the game, which lets you interact and build relationships with the characters in the game without having to worry about murders.

TraBuch

Banned
Well that was kinda weird. I preordered this game on Amazon but it was taking a while to get here so I ended up buying it on PSN. When I finally got the copy from Amazon, I tried initiating a refund for the instant credit to my account but it wasn't working so I chatted with a CS rep to try and get the credit in my account and this is how the chat went:

Code:
You are now connected to Vivitha A. from Amazon.com

Me:I'm trying to return this game for instant credit to my Amazon account but I don't think it's working right. There's no refund subtotal and no credit in my account.

Vivitha A.:Hello, my name is Vivitha. I'll be glad to help you today.
I'll check that for you.

Me:Alright, thanks.

Vivitha A.:May I have the order number, please?

Me:#xxx-xxxxxxx-xxxxxxx
There're two items in that order, but I'm only trying to return the game.

Vivitha A.:This item:
DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - PlayStation Vita
Right?

Me:Yes

Vivitha A.:Thanks for confirming.
You need not return that item, I'll process that full refund right away.
I've requested a refund of $41.99 to your credit card. You'll see the refund in the next 2-3 business days.

Me:So I can just keep the game?

Vivitha A.:Yes.
Do you've any other queries?

Me:Oh, well, thank you.
No other queries

Vivitha A.:It was my pleasure to help you out.
Thanks for visiting Amazon.com. We hope to see you again soon!
Bye..Take care!

Me:Hope you have a good day

Yay my copy FINALLY shipped. Ugh Amazon is testing my patience recently.

Hoping to have it Saturday but I doubt it. Either way at least it is on it's way!

Feep

Banned
Beat Chapter 3...I know this is going to sound stupid from someone who voice acted a lot of these lines (I don't remember anything!), but the cases so far have been...very predictable, at least from the perspective of someone who's played a lot of Phoenix Wright. They really telegraph a lot of stuff.

I'm loving the larger mystery type stuff, but I hope Chapters 4, 5, and 6 are more devious.

joe2187

Banned
Well that was kinda weird. I preordered this game on Amazon but it was taking a while to get here so I ended up buying it on PSN. When I finally got the copy from Amazon, I tried initiating a refund for the instant credit to my account but it wasn't working so I chatted with a CS rep to try and get the credit in my account and this is how the chat went:

This is normal, It happens all the time.

Amazon would rather refund and lose the merchandise, than bother to reshelve something most often.

I still have an extra copy of Ys: Celceta and Pheonix Wright AA2 because of all the shipping issues my neighborhood has.

Finished Chapter 2 and I really just don't like the trials. I find myself getting annoyed and frustrated with the little games and just want to get back to the story. Still love the rest of it though.

Lemstar

This is normal, It happens all the time.

Amazon would rather refund and lose the merchandise, than bother to reshelve something most often.

I still have an extra copy of Ys: Celceta and Pheonix Wright AA2 because of all the shipping issues my neighborhood has.
The flip side of their customer service is that if they're losing too much money on you, they'll just ban you outright.

Beat Chapter 3...I know this is going to sound stupid from someone who voice acted a lot of these lines (I don't remember anything!), but the cases so far have been...very predictable, at least from the perspective of someone who's played a lot of Phoenix Wright. They really telegraph a lot of stuff.

I'm loving the larger mystery type stuff, but I hope Chapters 4, 5, and 6 are more devious.

Well, I'd say that it's more than anything a side-effect of the game allowing you to figure things out with only your investigation rather than AA's deus ex evidence or "suddenly, updated autopsy report!" that you have no way of knowing about before they show up.

Yasawas

Did my first trial today and nearly loved it but the comic book panels were really small to my old-man eyes and the tutorials for each part of it were utter garbage, I have no idea how the rhythm one works at all.

Darksol

My NISA Limited Edition finally got its ass up from Texas and got to me (in Canada) today. Just about to dive in! Looks great!

joe2187

Banned
The flip side of their customer service is that if they're losing too much money on you, they'll just ban you outright.

But when it's their fault and they still refuse to take back the product when we request them to? What do?

A couple of years ago, I used to fill out those survey things from those GetFree360Games things. As one of my prizes I ordered Guitar Hero Aerosmith with the guitar, bag and strap.

When my order came, since it's all shipped through amazon. I received seven of them. I called amazon and told them the situation and they said keep em. and dont even bother. I believe each of those games costed about $80 each at the time.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Did my first trial today and nearly loved it but the comic book panels were really small to my old-man eyes and the tutorials for each part of it were utter garbage, I have no idea how the rhythm one works at all.
When the dots are in the middle of the circle on the bottom of the screen, press X to highlight a speech bubble coming towards you & then Triangle to fire at them (all done to the beat of the music), causing your opponent's health to drop & eventually allowing you to fire a truth bullet in order for them to listen to you. I was confused at first since I thought it was X to fire, Triangle to aim, but after a quick trial-&-error, I got the hang of it quickly....granted, I've played a ton of music/rhythm games.

LProtag

I found a lot of it to be fairly predictable as well, but I kinda enjoyed feeling like I was super smart and making all these correct deductions. That offset the fact that I wasn't getting my mind blown with the twists.

Yasawas

When the dots are in the middle of the circle on the bottom of the screen, press X to highlight a speech bubble coming towards you & then Triangle to fire at them (all done to the beat of the music), causing your opponent's health to drop & eventually allowing you to fire a truth bullet in order for them to listen to you. I was confused at first since I thought it was X to fire, Triangle to aim, but after a quick trial-&-error, I got the hang of it quickly....granted, I've played a ton of music/rhythm games.

Aye, I got that after a few goes but I had the impression from reading the tutorial text that I had to fire after the statement I wanted to challenge but in practice I just pressed X a few times then Triangle to make sure I shot them before they exploded and it seemed to work. It's a bit frustrating as I liked they tried to make the trials so different from Ace Attorney and the tutorial text in the rest of the game is nicely dry and amusing but that stuff just wasn't clear enough for my big stupid head.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
But when it's their fault and they still refuse to take back the product when we request them to? What do?

A couple of years ago, I used to fill out those survey things from those GetFree360Games things. As one of my prizes I ordered Guitar Hero Aerosmith with the guitar, bag and strap.

When my order came, since it's all shipped through amazon. I received seven of them. I called amazon and told them the situation and they said keep em. and dont even bother. I believe each of those games costed about $80 each at the time.

It has to be pretty egregious for them to ban you. It does happen, but it's rare and a little random based on the accounts I've read. As long as you're not consistently a problematic, high maintenance customer where they lose money a lot, I think you're safe.

joe2187

Banned
It has to be pretty egregious for them to ban you. It does happen, but it's rare and a little random based on the accounts I've read. As long as you're not consistently a problematic, high maintenance customer where they lose money a lot, I think you're safe.

It's just troubling because I've experienced it quite a bit, I always wait a week before I contact amazon if I dont recieve my packages and the USPS doesnt have any ideas.

By the way, my original copy of AA2 is still set as shipping, but apparently it's stuck in some sort of black hole in Kentucky. I know it will arrive eventually.

They gave it a negative for the color of the blood?

LiK

It's just troubling because I've experienced it quite a bit, I always wait a week before I contact amazon if I dont recieve my packages and the USPS doesnt have any ideas.

By the way, my original copy of AA2 is still set as shipping, but apparently it's stuck in some sort of black hole in Kentucky. I know it will arrive eventually.

They gave it a negative for the color of the blood?

Not gonna lie. I was hoping there was a toggle for red blood.

PK Gaming

I love the pink blood

At first, I didn't even think it was a result of censorship; I thought they were going to for their own unique style.

I liked the pink blood TBH, while yes it's ridiculous and looks silly. But It fits very well within the style of the game, in a very over the top and campy sort of way.

Plus it fit's within style of humor the game was going for, which was a Black Comedy. It's just a matter of opinion really.

Yea, I knew it was a style thing but the pink blood made the crime scenes less impactful for me.
Yeah, and it just looks weird because - endgame spoilers -
any non fresh blood looked normal red, like for example the 2nd floor classroom where The Tragedy happened.

LiK

In the review, he mentions a specific example of a character who wasn't likable. Any guesses on who that might have been?

Also, I thought they were making the blood pink to make it look outlandishly out of place. It seemed to work well, I think.

I can only think of
Genocide Jill

Top Bottom