• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc |OT| Hope vs Dis Bear ( ´º)

I feel like an idiot :/ I saw the box art and title for this game briefly on amazon and assumed it was some kind of wacky Japanese dancing puzzle game or something....now that I am actually reading what this game is about it seems like it was made just for me!! Looks awesome! Will buy it as soon as it drops in price a bit.

In the review, he mentions a specific example of a character who wasn't likable. Any guesses on who that might have been?

Could be anyone. Almost everyone has some qurik that could be unlikable to someone.

Yeah, and it just looks weird because - endgame spoilers -
any non fresh blood looked normal red, like for example the 2nd floor classroom where The Tragedy happened.

I imagine fresh blood is more impactful if it was red compared to blood from years ago.

And really the whole pink blood was just to get not a higher rating in Japan and I imagine it was only the squrik of it to a recent murder where you still see the body more damning than the remains of something that happened a while back.

Of course the pink blood is now basically one of the things this series is known for. Even the color of the blood is all over the logo and packaging now!

GamerJM

Banned
I finished chapter 3 last night, I guess I'll give my thoughts so far:

-Overall I like this less than any of the Zero Escape or Ace Attorney games so far though that could change, I could see myself liking it more than the Investigations games.

-Everything this game does that's similar to AA I find myself thinking AA did better. I feel like the investigation system in AA is better and more streamlined, I don't like the way you navigate the school in this game though I've warmed up to it some.

-I don't like how the trials play out as much either. Part of that has to do with me not liking shooting games from the most base level, I don't find pointing at things with a cursor and shooting them fun. I also don't like how in the nonstop debates they only give you one piece of evidence to use, unlike in AA where you have to logically think through the pieces of evidence to present at each statement it's usually pretty obvious here.

-I also feel like the humor is mediocre outside of Monokuma. A few of the characters feel like one-dimensional walking tropes and so far nothing has really subverted that. I feel like AA did a way better job at being goofy and lighthearted.

-The daily life thing seems kind of pointless and makes the pacing in this game seem a lot slower.

-Now that I have the negative out of the way though, I'm really liking the game overall. The actual story, both in concept and execution, is really intriguing so far. The game seems to do a great job of creating a sense of mystery, and I'm constantly wondering what the hell is going on. Much like in 999 and VLR, though with a less darker tone.

-I love the game's OST and visual style. It's so unique.

-I actually really like thinking through each case and what happened. I wasn't too fond of the first case in this aspect, but the second and third case were really great and surprised me in some ways. Despite me not liking all of the procedures of the class trials, I think the setting and circumstances alone give this game have an excellent twist on an AA-style murder mystery formula.

-Speaking of class trials, I think the thing at the end where you fill in a comic with the right pieces is really cool and probably the one thing that I prefer over AA's trials.

Hmm. I don't know about that one. I don't really feel like
she's around long enough to overstay her welcome. lol

The difference is that the game forces the idea very hard the brief moments she is alive. I can see how (hell I got annoyed at how much the game was making me waste my free time with her) people would get annoyed at having to deal with such a character.

God Makoto, make better friends.

I SAID IT WAS A JOKE BECAUSE SHE ACTUALLY IS THE BEST CHARACTER AND THUS THE NOTION THAT SHE WOULD EVEN BE CONSIDERED THE WORST IS THE MOST HILARIOUS JOKE OF ALL TIME

OH IN THAT CASE THIS IS HILARIOUS HAHAHAHAHA

I finished chapter 3 last night, I guess I'll give my thoughts so far:

-Overall I like this less than any of the Zero Escape or Ace Attorney games so far though that could change, I could see myself liking it more than the Investigations games.

-Everything this game does that's similar to AA I find myself thinking AA did better. I feel like the investigation system in AA is better and more streamlined, I don't like the way you navigate the school in this game though I've warmed up to it some.

-I don't like how the trials play out as much either. Part of that has to do with me not liking shooting games from the most base level, I don't find pointing at things with a cursor and shooting them fun. I also don't like how in the nonstop debates they only give you one piece of evidence to use, unlike in AA where you have to logically think through the pieces of evidence to present at each statement it's usually pretty obvious here.

-The daily life thing seems kind of pointless and makes the pacing in this game seem a lot slower.

I really can't say that I prefer any AA game over this one. I'm playing Dual Destinies at the moment, and I don't feel the same rush to complete the game as I did while I was playing DR. And I certainly didn't feel that way playing through the other AAs some time ago. In terms of lack of evidence, you may have set the logic difficult too low. The norm is three pieces of evidence, but it often goes much higher and you don't always have to use evidence. Gameplay overall is better in AA, I will admit. DR2 is supposed to have much improved gameplay, though.

Also, the daily life stuff is skippable in its entirety. I did so. I'm a horrible person, I know.

The difference is that the game forces the idea very hard the brief moments she is alive. I can see how (hell I got annoyed at how much the game was making me waste my free time with her) people would get annoyed at having to deal with such a character.

God Makoto, make better friends.

I totally skipped all that, so... Well, I may have
hung out with her once, but when I found out you could sleep through the day, I became a lazy ass mofo

GamerJM

Banned
Oddly enough, I feel bad for not skipping the daily life stuff. I feel like if I did I'd like the game more but I can't bring myself to do so.

Also, I have the case difficulty on medium. You do get three pieces of evidence a decent amount of the time, but so far it feels like you often just get one which is silly. And whenever it's three pieces of evidence it always feels obvious to me which one of the three to present.

I also felt more of a rush to complete the Ace Attorney games, honestly.

Finished the first chapter (late) last night, and I'm reeeeeeeeeeeeeally digging it. The trials are so exciting, even though the first one was very easy. (I'm playing on the hardest difficulty too.) The "fill in the comic book" part is awesome.

LX_Theo

Banned
Oddly enough, I feel bad for not skipping the daily life stuff. I feel like if I did I'd like the game more but I can't bring myself to do so.

Also, I have the case difficulty on medium. You do get three pieces of evidence a decent amount of the time, but so far it feels like you often just get one which is silly. And whenever it's three pieces of evidence it always feels obvious to me which one of the three to present.

There are a lot of little things you have to work with in the nonstop debates.
White noise, multiple bullets, multiple statements, using statements as bullets
(someone else spoilered mechanics, so why not?). When all the pieces come together, there is a real challenge to be had. I also played on kind, and wish I had played on mean solely for the sake of a greater difficulty. Unfortunately, kind felt... too kind. That was my biggest complaint with the game myself.

As for AA vs this... Ace Attorney gets you hyped up. Danganronpa is more of a tense rush. Like the difference between exposing criminals and fighting for your life.

On Mean difficulty, (mechanics spoiler)
you're given either three or more commonly seven Truth Bullets to refute with.
In spite of that, if you're following along, it's never crazy difficult anyway, so who knows? May be the same experience for you regardless. But I guess that just depends.

Well, let me correct myself. I would say I had the same amount of expediency playing through the first and second AAs, but I think the goofiness started to wear me down. I did finish 3, 4, and Investigations, though.

Ace Attorney gets you hyped up. Danganronpa is more of a tense rush. Like the difference between exposing criminals and fighting for your life.

I think that sums it up perfectly. That may be why I felt like I enjoyed this game more, because the fighting for your life felt more in line with my tastes.

So, just a quick question. :p Any of you read Dangan Ronpa Zero? Or if? Are they worth the read?

Zero will explain some unanswered questions from this game and the next. It doesn't contain any spoilers regarding the second game.

IF is a what-if related to this game. It'll be included in the second game when it gets localized. It's a good read since it focuses on one underutilized character.

Tusk

Zero will explain some unanswered questions from this game and the next. It doesn't contain any spoilers regarding the second game.

IF is a what-if related to this game. It'll be included in the second game when it gets localized. It's a good read since it focuses on one underutilized character.

Ah. Should be enjoyable then. Gonna have to read them later. I didn't even know these novels existed until like a few mins ago.

GamerJM

Banned
As for AA vs this... Ace Attorney gets you hyped up. Danganronpa is more of a tense rush. Like the difference between exposing criminals and fighting for your life.

I disagree with this statement to a certain point, and it's a good lead-in to another point. I felt like AA got me hyped up and I felt tense while playing Zero Escape. Dangan Ronpa is sort of a middle ground between the two because it doesn't have the same atmosphere as ZE. As a result the only real emotion I've felt so far when playing DR is eagerness to discover what happens next.

Also I don't really feel like anything about DR is a "rush," because the time limit is extremely liberal. Again maybe this would be something I'd feel more of if I was playing on the hardest difficulty.

as a general rule, be careful looking up anything related to DanganRonpa cause spoilers abound.

It's more like looking up anything Danganronpa related on the internet will probably cause you to get spoiled by something.

The internet wants you to get spoiled, upupupupupu

I really hope this game/series has a slow-yet-endless burn like Zero Escape, new thread every few months from people who are just discovering it.

Zephyx

The one thing I found good in this game is the lack of supernatural circumstances on the murders compared to the AA series. Although the supernatural events in the AA doesn't take away anything from the story (which I loved by the way), it becomes harder to convince yourself that the murders can really happen in real life.

DR1 is also good in making a motive for the murder. Typically, in AA's trials, most murders are fueled by revenge. IMO, DR is better in this regard as it expose various human facets on how far are humans willing to convince themselves to take one's life.

PKrockin

The game outside the trials is kind of lacking in despair, maybe because more things are in control of the students.

You've definitely got to play on Mean for the trials. Hopefully the sequel doesn't go so easy on me for half the game.

pariah164

Whoever's making the awesome little sprite icons, has anyone claimed/used Celeste yet? If not, can I get a hook up? Ultimate Gambler~

Syrinx

Finished Chapter 4.

Probably the best one yet. Goddamn that trial took so many twists and turns; waaaaaaayyyyyy more than I thought it would given just how few people were left. And after the whole thing was over, I honestly felt a bit angry at myself for not talking to Sakura more than I did. I don't know if I want to call that tragedy or redemption. I do feel it was pretty tragic given the situation Monokuma put her into, and then being outed by him and then having most of them hate her and then even have two try to kill her even when she was planning to take her own life. Her suicide note did kinda make it like she was going out on top, though. Punishing herself because of her betrayal, and then meeting the deal she made with Monokuma by killing somebody-herself, sparing everybody else in the process and going out with a degree of pride.

The execution featuring Alter Ego really heightened the despair, though.

And then there was that whole sequence between Kyoko and Makoto at the end with her telling him the name of this mysterious 16th student. We have a name, but I don't know what to make of it given that there really isn't anything else available.

What a rollercoaster ride this game is.

LX_Theo

Banned
I disagree with this statement to a certain point, and it's a good lead-in to another point. I felt like AA got me hyped up and I felt tense while playing Zero Escape. Dangan Ronpa is sort of a middle ground between the two because it doesn't have the same atmosphere as ZE. As a result the only real emotion I've felt so far when playing DR is eagerness to discover what happens next.

Also I don't really feel like anything about DR is a "rush," because the time limit is extremely liberal. Again maybe this would be something I'd feel more of if I was playing on the hardest difficulty.

I'll just go ahead and disagree with you on that entirely. Zero Escape and this game have very similar atmospheres, which is the primary cause of the tension. The trials did a good job of enhancing that by making you fight for your and everyone else's life.

And a rush doesn't mean the same thing as feeling rushed.

Coming up on the end, methinks. Chapter
6. "The killing game has now entered 'True Ending' mode." Assuming the mastermind is actually one of us, my gut says Yasuhiro as the dopey one, but my mind says Asahina as it'd probably be the most shocking.
we'll seeeeeee

Syrinx

*Chapter 5 Spoilers*

Haha, that "Sakura's Revenge" footage completely caught me off guard. I would play the shit out of that. Too bad it's fake...

..Or is it?

Ken

Alright I bought the game.

Few questions before I start:

Are there JP voices? I don't want to listen to Filthy Feep.

Can you waifu up any of the characters.

Alright I bought the game.

Few questions before I start:

Are there JP voices? I don't want to listen to Filthy Feep.

Can you waifu up any of the characters.

Yes, there are, assuming you can get out of the school Feep locks you in.

No real waifu-ing in the main story. There's a post game mode where you can kinda do that.

Syrinx

I feel like most everybody else has moved off to the spoiler thread. Kinda lonely in here. Anyhoo...

*Chapter 5 spoilers*
Shit, Kyoko what did you do? They found Monokuma nonfunctional in the gym. And now they're about to storm the headmaster's office. And then there was that sequence with the mastermind in Makoto's room grabbing the knife and Kyoko just standing over him. What's going on?! Kyoko's not the mastermind is she? No. Has to be that girl she mentioned; the 16th student. Probably the one who killed all those students in that classroom on the fifth floor too.

Would love to see more, but I gotta get up early tomorrow, so I'm stepping away for now before I get too engrossed. I will wait.

Steel

Banned
*Chapter 5 Spoilers*

Haha, that "Sakura's Revenge" footage completely caught me off guard. I would play the shit out of that. Too bad it's fake...

..Or is it?

I found it pretty funny considering the situation with Zero Escape.

This game is so damn addicting~

My LUCKY got another LUCKY. It was lucky.

Getting a LUCKY bothered me cause that means I had to wait until the next present opened up first before I could insert another coin.

Getting two LUCKY in a row started driving me slightly insane.

Finished the game

First of all, the music is great. The Discussion tracks were my favorites; the voices in the background are so amazingly satisfying.

I think the game's three first chapters were better than the final ones - the mystery bringed a great atmosphere.

I feel one endless anxiety right now of all mine reflections and given empathies I had throughout the game with the characters...

So if you excuse me...
... I need a hug...

EDIT:

Also, does anyone knows where I can find this "apple-gift-card-style"-picture of Celestia (with transparent background)?
2014_02_20_0fg13519.jpg

Like this?
7L1hz3Y.png

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
I got three Luckys in a row from the MonoMono machine. One of them was a hand bra thing. I feel like I need to give it to Aoi >_>

Top Bottom