• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc |OT| Hope vs Dis Bear ( ´º)

Quick post in case nobody saw the edit before, but I apologize for earlier. I've had a ton of IRL stuff going on and went all confrontational out on the poster due to it. I sincerely apologize for that absolute idiotic post from before and for the spoiler in general.

Going to put a self-imposed temp. ban on myself and head off GAF until later tonight to clear my head up.

LiK

Quick post in case nobody saw the edit before, but I apologize for earlier. I've had a ton of IRL stuff going on and went all confrontational out on the poster due to it. I sincerely apologize for that absolute idiotic post from before and for the spoiler in general.

Going to put a self-imposed temp. ban on myself and head off GAF until later tonight to clear my head up.

Don't sweat it. :)

tookhster

Holy crap the trials are awesome. Well at least the first one anyways.

Ch 1 spoilers:
I felt pretty bad for Leon though because of that death cutscene, and how he basically was defending himself at first from the real person who started the whole attempt at killing thing. Yeah I know he went back to finish her off, but still.

I find it kinda weird that my reward for winning the trial was watching someone get killed in some cruel, creative way. Something about the whole thing really made me feel a little uncomfortable. Not in a "I don't want to play this anymore" kind of way, but as in I was expecting something more. But I guess the game is intended to do that. Now I guess every discovered killer will get some sort of crazy death scene at the end of the trial.

Anyways, loving the game so far. Thanks for the recommendation, GAF.

Tizoc

I have night shift at work and decided to finish up DanganRonpa.
Still in Chapter 1 AND OH MY MONOKUMA
SAYAKA! JUNKO! SHIT IS HAPPENING TOO FAST!

Tizoc

You plan on being at that night shift for 20-30 hours?

nAH MY shifts are 9ish hours so I'll be spending most of them playing DanganRonpa.
but 20-30 hours? FUCK YEAH THAT WOULD COVER MY 4 DAY NIGHTSHIFT!

Seriously this game GAF, THIS MOTHERFUCKING GAME!

I find it kinda weird that my reward for winning the trial was watching someone get killed in some cruel, creative way. Something about the whole thing really made me feel a little uncomfortable. Not in a "I don't want to play this anymore" kind of way, but as in I was expecting something more. But I guess the game is intended to do that. Now I guess every discovered killer will get some sort of crazy death scene at the end of the trial.

I ran into the same thing. It was somewhat comical at first with how many balls shot out at him, but as it went on the art direction got increasingly dark.

That and the music playing juxtaposed against the scene really played into it.

I want a Danganronpa avatar, but i can't decide between Celeste, Kioko and Makoto, and searching for images is toooooooo dangerous :/
Late, but here's a handful of Celeste avatars regardless:

ibiR9Nzg6hQ4K9.jpg
iw7M3bj4bRUGu.png
inIFkxBwc0uJO.jpg
icSiGKI3HXMc2.jpg
ibthSiEBavwUBa.jpg
iTkzEkIh9oMRy.jpg
iKgdVbxQDjTlx.png
iMXBUgkNeknNF.png
i04tkGpRaYCIt.jpg

Tizoc

Oh man I'm still in Chapter 1 and I'm doing the
very first trial.
SHIT IS HYPE YO!
...and now after seeing the note, I've figured out what may have happened. I suspected Sayaka to want to murder someone anyways XP

the mark

Question about Chapter 2:
Mondo carried Chihiros Corpse to the girl's locker room...how did he open the door?
Whose e-book did he use?

Syrinx

Finished Chapter 5.

I know that some of the questions I have may have severe spoiler implications, so I won't ask people to answer them, but I'm left feeling just a little bit concerned that the story is about to fall apart. Kyoko's revelation that she all of a sudden remembered that she's the ultimate detective (kinda already figured that out, or that at least it was something a lot like that) and that the headmaster is her father was probably chief among the concerns, but obviously that has a lot of opportunity to explain itself going forward.

I think after the trial there are two major questions I have. One, why did the mastermind kill Makubo? The original plan was for Makubo to kill Makoto and then frame Kyoko and have her executed for it, but she intervened. So why didn't they just wait for another opportunity to kill him? Or one of the others? I suppose the best explanation behind that was that they somehow got Makoto sick, either poison or whatnot, to put him to sleep in his room very vulnerable, and then they disabled Monokuma so that the others would stay busy and have their eyes on each other the whole time, so that Kyoko would be the only one they could finger. When that blew up, the mastermind just wanted to do whatever would get Kyoko executed, and he knew that the existence of Makubo could be outed at any moment, so he just went and did it himself. But then why did Monokuma stop the trial just as Makoto had been implicated again? Was the mastermind satisfied killing him, since he knew he was involved a lot with Kyoko's snooping? Or is there actually a time limit Monokuma had never mentioned? And then the point made at the end; if the mastermind was going to kill somebody anyway, why couldn't it have been Kyoko? Sure she says she's tough, but would she be a direct match for the ultimate soldier? Then again I guess she stopped her in the first place. Though not necessarily by force.

Anyway, Chapter 6 is evidently a "major shit goes down" chapter, based on the responses to Chapter 6 impressions so I'm looking forward to a lot of answers being revealed.

dkoy

So who here (Chapter 5 Spoilers)
on their first playthrough of Chapter 5 exposed Kyouko's lie thinking that it was the right thing to do? I feel so bad about that..... Ending for that made me laugh though

Labrys

So who here
on their first playthrough of Chapter 5 exposed Kyouko's lie thinking that it was the right thing to do? I feel so bad about that..... Ending for that made me laugh though

my first time playing the psp version i did that, yeah. i was in "PHOENIX WRIGHT EXPOSE CONTRADICTIONS" mode

PK Gaming

So who here

Tons of of people, i'd imagine. The entire game conditions you to exposing the truth, so when you're offered a choice it's hard to mentally hold back. At the time, not pursuing it was tantamount to suicide since you were the prime suspect, and I had trouble trusting Kyoko after she tried to out me as the killer. Tbh, I wasn't thinking straight when I made the decision; I just didn't want to die. I ended up paying dearly for that choice, haha. The definition of catch 22.

Awesome sequence overall.

FluxWaveZ

So who here

I did it and I didn't even think otherwise. Ace Attorney and Persona 4 trained me to pursue the truth, no matter what. So that's what I did instinctively, without even thinking of the alternative and why it was there.

As it turns out...
in a situation where the conditions are rigged like in that trial and everyone's basically at the whims of the mastermind, presenting the truth was obviously a questionable decision in retrospect.

Kyoko seemed suspicious, too. I'm not all about that "trust" business.

So who here

Might want to mark those with a "(Chapter 5 spoilers)" or something. You know, just to be safe.

LX_Theo

Banned
So who here

My mind basically went...
She said to go head on into danger, right? Now she seems to be concealing info in order to avoid danger? I thought it was exposing it to be the into danger idea, lol. Shame.

Syrinx

So who here

*Chapter 5 spoilers*

I did the first time. I was like, "You know what, if she's such a great detective and she's adamant that she didn't do this, she can prove her own innocence. If she can't, then she may well be guilty". Then I saw what would happen, and then it showed that it was some sort of vision Makoto had that was probably the game saying "Hey, guy, you sure you want to do that?" Then I backed off and felt I got tricked into picking the true bad ending, until Alter Ego appeared. That would have been some troll job...

dkoy

Edited my post to show it has chapter 5 spoilers.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who was thrown off. One of the best points in the game imo

*Chapter 5 spoilers*

I did the first time. I was like, "You know what, if she's such a great detective and she's adamant that she didn't do this, she can prove her own innocence. If she can't, then she may well be guilty". Then I saw what would happen, and then it showed that it was some sort of vision Makoto had that was probably the game saying "Hey, guy, you sure you want to do that?" Then I backed off and felt I got tricked into picking the true bad ending, until Alter Ego appeared. That would have been some troll job...

That was my thought process too haha.

Syrinx

*Chapter 4 and 5 spoilers*

That choice during the trial reminded me that the game was presenting me with the choice early on in Chapter 4 of whether or not to tell Kyoko about what Makoto saw with Monokuma and Sakura in the gym. But when I tried to tell her, the game pretty much wouldn't let me. Is that just set? If so I don't know why they'd bother giving the choice in the first place. Is there a skill I was lacking or something that would allow me to tell Kyoko?

UberTag

Just beat Chapter 1...
that was disgusting
You think
that was disgusting
? Just wait until you beat Chapter 2.
(There's a clue on what to expect in your avatar pic.)

About the coins:
Should I use them one at a time or all in one go?
If you're referring to trying to stockpile your present collection, one at a time is fine until you get down to the real nitty-gritty.
I had no problem getting my collection maxed out to 100% by ensuring I had 25% odds or better of landing something new each time.
And that was being particular about getting doubles. If you don't care about duplicates, you can go even lower than that.

Steel

Banned

I certainly did. I didn't think Kyoko had done it, however I felt like everything could be cleared up with a little more discussion in the trial if I exposed the contradiction. I felt as though everyone would just vote for Makoto if I didn't expose the contradiction. Of course, at the time I didn't expect Monokuma to just outright end the trial with so many more contradictions hanging in the air.

Making the below a spoiler as it isn't a chapter question but more about one of the specific trial phases in case someone wanted to be in the dark about how it functions:

During the final phase with the rhytmn X/Triangle button presses, is it better to keep pressing X until enough appear and to get my chain higher and then press Triangle or should I only queue up one or two and do it?

FluxWaveZ

Making the below a spoiler as it isn't a chapter question but more about one of the specific trial phases in case someone wanted to be in the dark about how it functions:

During the final phase with the rhytmn X/Triangle button presses, is it better to keep pressing X until enough appear and to get my chain higher and then press Triangle or should I only queue up one or two and do it?

Higher chains = more damage. I wouldn't think about it much; the phase is crap anyways. Just don't die.

Chapter 6:

Pretty sure I figured it out thanks to Pervy Japan...
the 16th student shares measurements with junko's report card.

It might be a red herring though. Now coming back until I finish...

Syrinx

*Chapter 6 spoilers*
Scene in the secret room in the headmaster's room was pretty tough. Definitely the closest Kyoko has come to losing her composure, learning that the dad that she assumed had forgotten her long ago instead cared about her a lot.

Anyhoo, after I got her father's e-Handbook I decided to see if they would work on those lockers...

...WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?!

Is this all some crazy experiment where Makoto is the test subject or something? What does all this mean?!

Deeper. I gotta go deeper.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

I thankfully didn't. I figured that
Kyoko was deliberately doing the back and forth and trusted me to make the right decision. The game was really pushing the trust aspect between Makoto and Kyoko at that point. I was definitely torn, though. Playing Ace Attorney over and over led me to believe that I should always pick the truth, but I went with my gut. I had to go back and do it again anyway to get Gallery completion, though.

Ok, literally just beat the game; credits are rolling right now.

FULL. GAME. SPOILERS. Click without finishing it, and you've abandoned all ye hope!

Seriously, last chance. I've given you this buffer because I go hard in the paint in terms of reveals.

Even though I knew from the jump that Junko was the mastermind, that shit didn't matter. Both VA's did a spectacular job there; every voice was a great contrast to each other (king voice to complete boredom, etc).

And the reveal happened like...halfway through the trial. Then shit got even realer.

Junko's final plays were some real fucked up maneuvers! The constant information bomb of your memories being gone, your world is destroyed, but I'll let you live here freely...if you execute the pain in my side, all really messed up things.

Junko's...enjoyment of her execution was far more disconcerting than I thought it would be. If she had won, she would've still been unamused. But since she lost, she got exactly what she wanted.

RE: Makoto's new title in the Report Card of Ultimate Despair...to me, I think that still means Ultimate Hope..since hope is true despair to those who despise it, right?

Either way, I'm so glad I stuck with this game. Chapter 1 hit me so hard that it nearly made me swear off the game. I can't wait for the sequel, and I'm happy as a clam it's getting brought our way so quickly!

Dugna

most of this page has been spoiler tags lol....glad to see people enjoying the game though, I'm still loving my OST that game with the LE. Close to getting the platinum.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Working really slowly through the game. I'm on Chapter 3 right now. I gotta say, Sakura may not exactly be waifu material, but she is easily one of the best characters in the game. She's awesome.

Syrinx

*Chapter 6 Spoilers*
Got Monokuma's picture. My "Makoto is some sort of test subject in some fucked up experiment" theory sure isn't discredited by that. Granted there's every possibility Monokuma's trying to mislead me, but that with the shit in the lockers...and what the hell got into Hiro? What did Monokuma show to that guy?

And there are 9 morgue fridge lights on, including Mukuro's. So...is that because Monokuma turned Mondo into butter...or is one of them not actually dead?

Must...go...deeper.

Tizoc

Currently at the final parts of Chapter 2.
Oh Mondo, Mondo, Mondo, why'd you go and do it bro? Why?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Without spoilers, does doing the chapter select have any benefits for your current playthrough, like building relationships or is it standalone?

Top Bottom