• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc |OT| Hope vs Dis Bear ( ´º)

Labrys

Best post of the thread.

saw this, decided to make an avatar of my favorite celeste fanart to go along with them:
PXUJSC0.png
a6KC8wF.png
(i couldn't decide what crop i liked better)

original's here if you'd like to admire it in it's full quality

UberTag

Without spoilers, does doing the chapter select have any benefits for your current playthrough, like building relationships or is it standalone?
Should you choose, you can save your game, select a chapter that you've already beaten, play up to your Free Time window and unlock further relationships, skills and skill points. You can do this repeatedly to your liking and then select your most recently completed trial and play through that quickly to resume your story progress.

This isn't as tedious as one might think. You can auto-advance Chapter 2 to your first free time window in 5 minutes or less. Proceed through 5 free time sessions, save, restart the chapter again and repeat the process.

Granted, you can easily unlock all of this stuff in School Mode at the end but you're not going to see any benefit from your unlocked skills if you wait 'til then. And School Mode is tedious enough as it is already without factoring in maxing out your relationships.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Got the platinum at 38 hours.

The presents were kinda annoying. Need to keep loading the game to get the unobtained present.

Drago

Checked my Gamefly and to my delight, I see they have shipped this out. Most excellent! As a big Ace Attorney and Zero Escape fan, I cannot wait to dig into this :D

//ARCANUM

So I'm playing this back and forth with VLR. Why am I doing this? Because I have video game ADD.

I prefer the story and characters of VLR but vastly prefer the style of Trigger Happy Havoc. Which is easy considering the style of VLR is pretty awful and the style of THH is pretty great.

However neither game is even coming close to the experience I had with 999 which I played just before these. To me, 999 is a masterpiece and neither of these are coming close yet in terms of continually holding my interest, which is why I think I'm hopping back and forth.

To put it in perspective - I've gotten 1 game over in VLR already and I'm part way into the second chapter of THH.

Syrinx

Finished the game. Credits are rolling.

I did not see that bit about Junko and Mukuro switching before the whole thing started and Junko's dead body actually being Mukuro's. And then everything else just fell into place from there. That was...some ride.
I'll post more detailed impressions in the spoiler thread tomorrow if I feel like it.

Edit:
I guess that bit after the credits is a tease for the sequel? What could that even be about? Guess I'll know before the end of this year. bartscottcantwait.gif

I don't know how I could ever overlook this but I didn't realize until the chapter 5 trial that I could press square in the middle of Nonstop Debate and read over my truth bullets.

sub_o

So I'm playing this back and forth with VLR. Why am I doing this? Because I have video game ADD.

I prefer the story and characters of VLR but vastly prefer the style of Trigger Happy Havoc. Which is easy considering the style of VLR is pretty awful and the style of THH is pretty great.

However neither game is even coming close to the experience I had with 999 which I played just before these. To me, 999 is a masterpiece and neither of these are coming close yet in terms of continually holding my interest, which is why I think I'm hopping back and forth.

To put it in perspective - I've gotten 1 game over in VLR already and I'm part way into the second chapter of THH.

I don't think you should be hopping back and forth, the impact of each game will be less later on. Still, both are really good games.

Story wise, I prefer VLR. Gameplay wise, I prefer parts of Danganronpa to VLR, such as the closed murder investigation, which in my opinion might be better than VLR's arbitrary puzzle room.

But I don't really like Danganronpa's truth bullet, make your argument, and rhythm section. If the game were to present a list of clues (and misleading ones), and ask you to choose based on the statement or the situation, then it might be better.

//ARCANUM

I don't think you should be hopping back and forth, the impact of each game will be less later on. Still, both are really good games.

Story wise, I prefer VLR. Gameplay wise, I prefer parts of Danganronpa to VLR, such as the closed murder investigation, which in my opinion might be better than VLR's arbitrary puzzle room.

But I don't really like Danganronpa's truth bullet, make your argument, and rhythm section. If the game were to present a list of clues (and misleading ones), and ask you to choose based on the statement or the situation, then it might be better.

lol I actually dig the trial part of Danganronpa and want to get through the puzzles as quick as possible in VLR to get back to the story haha.

Into the investigation part of Chapter 5, and I have one question:
So Kyoko stole a key from the headmaster's room, right? And she said that Sakura had broken the locked door, which is why she could get in. But when Makoto and the group go to the headmaster's room afterwards, the door is very much locked and not broken. That doesn't add up.

So Kyoko stole a key from the headmaster's room, right? And she said that Sakura had broken the locked door, which is why she could get in. But when Makoto and the group go to the headmaster's room afterwards, the door is very much locked and not broken. That doesn't add up.

Chapter 5 related:
I believe Monokuma pops up and mentions that Sakura broken the door before they attempt to get in. So I assume that Monokuma fixes it between the time Kyoko got in and when everyone else tries to get it.

Moonlight

Banned
Monokuma mentioned how he replaced the lock a little after Kyoko got in.

Finished. I enjoyed the game throughout but I'm kind of underwhelmed by the ending. More thoughts later.

How much of a grind is School Mode? Gotta get dat plat.

Labrys

celeste sure is popular
yxtQYC4.png

another avatar for you goth loli lovers to choose from, i guess! i just love making these for you guys to use, gotta spread the dangan ronpa love!image source

ramyeon

Should you choose, you can save your game, select a chapter that you've already beaten, play up to your Free Time window and unlock further relationships, skills and skill points. You can do this repeatedly to your liking and then select your most recently completed trial and play through that quickly to resume your story progress.

This isn't as tedious as one might think. You can auto-advance Chapter 2 to your first free time window in 5 minutes or less. Proceed through 5 free time sessions, save, restart the chapter again and repeat the process.

Granted, you can easily unlock all of this stuff in School Mode at the end but you're not going to see any benefit from your unlocked skills if you wait 'til then. And School Mode is tedious enough as it is already without factoring in maxing out your relationships.
I had no idea you could do this! So you could max out all of your relationships and get all the skills just by doing chapter 2's free time section over and over again?

dkoy

I like Celeste as much as everyone else but Junko's massive/slasher smile really has a certain charm to it.
I'm talking about fake Junko btw
I notice Kiyotaka has the same type of smile too.

So I've played up until the end of Chapter 4. I'm mostly disappointed in this game, especially because of the hype. There are zero puzzles or challenge whatsoever. In investigation you just click everywhere and it's impossible to miss a clue. I have logic turned up to mean and to me the trials have all been beyond obvious. Trial 2 was the only one I didn't know the bulk of logic to it before it began.

Spoiler for trial 4
In fact, I feel this was the worst trial by far because Hina actions make zero sense. I had figured out Sakura's suicide plot, but I thought it made more sense if she basically told Hina to give her the poisoned shake thus "technically" being killed by her, while framing others and and potentially saving Hina at the same time. The result would've been the same without making Hina try to kill all of us for no reason. But I guess they want Hina around.

Main compliant is that the trial mechanics and mini games are pointless and add nothing to the game. I wish I had turned them to gentle just so I could focus on the story. Imagine Ace Attorney 6 is released and now Phoenix is a drunkard and the Objection button shuffles around the screen everytime you want to hit it....here it's even more strange that I have an imaginary gun I shoot mind bullets out of, which has no in-game connection. It's all meaningless obfuscation.

The main archetypes and graphic design in this game are such ripoffs of the story/characters in Zero Escape and Persona, I also can't believe people don't take it to task for this. Creepy bunny from zero escape? Let's mix him with that Teddy that everyone loves from Persona and we've got our villain! Let's make him appear on tv, or in your dreams like the Midnight channel! It honestly just feels like a mishmash of better done games.

I know I'm ranting here, but I think the praise for the game is a little overblown. It's still worth playing if you like those other games, but it feels like a lesser version of every one of those to me. Maybe the next trials will improve my viewpoint. And I guess there aren't TONS of these types of games, so I guess it's still an oasis in a desert.

Moonlight

Banned
The main archetypes and graphic design in this game are such ripoffs of the story/characters in Zero Escape and Persona, I also can't believe people don't take it to task for this. Creepy bunny from zero escape? Let's mix him with that Teddy that everyone loves from Persona and we've got our villain! Let's make him appear on tv, or in your dreams like the Midnight channel! It honestly just feels like a mishmash of better done games.
Okay, so.

Dangan Ronpa: 2010
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward: 2012

???

Labrys

Creepy bunny from zero escape? Let's mix him with that Teddy that everyone loves from Persona and we've got our villain! Let's make him appear on tv, or in your dreams like the Midnight channel! It honestly just feels like a mishmash of better done games.

Virtue's Last Reward was released 2012

DanganRonpa was initially released 2010 for the PSP, the version we got is a Vita port

if anything say VLR rips off DR in that aspect

This game is from 2010. VLR is from 2012.

PK Gaming

So I've played up until the end of Chapter 4. I'm mostly disappointed in this game, especially because of the hype. There are zero puzzles or challenge whatsoever. In investigation you just click everywhere and it's impossible to miss a clue. I have logic turned up to mean and to me the trials have all been beyond obvious. Trial 2 was the only one I didn't know the bulk of logic to it before it began.

Spoiler for trial 4
In fact, I feel this was the worst trial by far because Hina actions make zero sense. I had figured out Sakura's suicide plot, but I thought it made more sense if she basically told Hina to give her the poisoned shake thus "technically" being killed by her, while framing others and and potentially saving Hina at the same time. The result would've been the same without making Hina try to kill all of us for no reason. But I guess they want Hina around.

Main compliant is that the trial mechanics and mini games are pointless and add nothing to the game. I wish I had turned them to gentle just so I could focus on the story. Imagine Ace Attorney 6 is released and now Phoenix is a drunkard and the Objection button shuffles around the screen everytime you want to hit it....here it's even more strange that I have an imaginary gun I shoot mind bullets out of, which has no in-game connection. It's all meaningless obfuscation.

I know I'm ranting here, but I think the praise for the game is a little overblown. It's still worth playing if you like those other games, but it feels like a lesser version of every one of those to me. Maybe the next trials will improve my viewpoint. And I guess there aren't TONS of these types of games, so I guess it's still an oasis in a desert.

VzPDlJN.gif

Celeste's English dub is fantastic. I adored her accent. I checked out the JPN VO and it was alright.
Yeah, I love her English VA. The hint of an accent is done perfectly, and she has some great lines.

All the English voice acting is pretty great.

PKrockin

Spoiler for trial 4
Sakura didn't want to get the rest of them killed, she wanted them to survive and work together. Getting back at the group was Hina's idea that she only came up with in a rattled state of mind after seeing her friend supposedly driven to suicide by the others.

It's a little abstraction to allow them to add a little more interaction. I like that instead of just doing exactly what Phoenix Wright does in cross-examinations they put their own spin on it. Blowing away a statement with a "truth bullet" is fun and unique, and white noise gives me something to do while thinking or waiting for the right statement to appear. Nonstop Debate and Hangman's Gambit are logical enough abstractions for me to accept. It's all very easy even on Mean anyway.

LiK

Yeah, I love her English VA. The hint of an accent is done perfectly, and she has some great lines.

All the English voice acting is pretty great.

yea, i tried the JPN voices during replays for the coins. they just don't gel with me. Hina is another winner. Cute as hell. Kyoko was also lovely. Pitch perfect. But yea, I think other than Makoto, everyone was perfect.

A Gaffer is one of the voices right? I forget who and who he plays.

yea, i tried the JPN voices during replays for the coins. they just don't gel with me. Hina is another winner. Cute as hell. Kyoko was also lovely. Pitch perfect. But yea, I think other than Makoto, everyone was perfect.

A Gaffer is one of the voices right? I forget who and who he plays.

Feep plays Togami.

Burnburn

Quick question. I finished school mode, building all Monokuma's, and I still didn't get a good ending. He just told me that I should do it again... Any help? I did get 200 coins from the last build and he acknowledged the last build, but he wasn't happy with it.

Lusankya

Quick question. I finished school mode, building all Monokuma's, and I still didn't get a good ending. He just told me that I should do it again... Any help? I did get 200 coins from the last build and he acknowledged the last build, but he wasn't happy with it.

That's the good ending. Was Monomi there?

The archetypes are "ripoffs" because they're extreme parodies of usual anime archetypes.

The characters in Persona aren't actually original tropes, you know.

GamerJM

Banned
Okay, so I just finished chapter 4 and I'm going to say that was easily the best part of the game thus far. (spoilers for DR up to case 4 and the entire Ace Attorney series including Dual Destinies and its DLC)

Okay, so, a suicide case is extremely unique and something I've wanted for the Ace Attorney games since I played through the first one way back in 2007. The closest we really got was an accidental death case in Dual Destinies' DLC, which I felt like was close enough since it threw me off in the same way I expected a suicide to throw me off. When we got to this case suicide definitely came to mind (though it came to mind with case 3 as well, like Hifumi or whatever his name is could have killed himself after killing the other guy). And man, it didn't disappoint. When we found out that it couldn't have been Hiro or Touko I was constantly hoping that it wouldn't be Hina because I can't imagine a motive for her that wouldn't have made her character up until that point do a complete 180 which I didn't want since, despite me not liking any of the characters here as much as AA or Zero Escape, I'm still growing attached to her. And when it actually did turn out to be suicide it did it great. Hina's motive for pinning the case on herself was great and Mono was just absolutely devlish with the suicide note. That case turned itself on its head multiple times and it was easily the most fun I've had with the game so far.

Clov

I finally, FINALLY got my limited edition in the mail. And of course the jackasses at Canada Post squashed the shit out of the box.

It was a really nice looking box too... the game itself, the soundtrack and the artbook are in good condition, though.

As I had been playing this, my sister had been playing 999 for the first time, and we had kind of a fun back-and-forth listening to each other play through the game and spout out theories (though she got to play the one with an infinitely better ending).

Off topic, but re-living the ending of 999 through her made me pissed/frustrated all over again about how VLR really drops the ball in one key aspect, though it's still mostly awesome.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Platinum trophy get!

Time played: 41:29
# of times saved: 162

I think 1/2 my time was spent dealing with School Mode multiple times. But in any case, I'm really glad to have discovered this game & for NIS America to localize this and the sequel coming out later. I think this is gonna be one of those rare games that I think I'll keep around instead of selling. Hopefully, I'll have an urge to replay it later and experience the story after I've forgotten some of the details.

Now perhaps I should shift my focus back on Bravely Default, considering I've mainly rebuilt my village while I've played this.

Trigger

I'm still not sure what the... point of Monokuma theatre is :lol

They seem to subtlety relate to themes in the different chapters. (Chapter 2 spoilers)
before Mondo is outed as the murder there's a Monokuma theatre about the difference is between "I killed someone" and "I ended up killing someone".
If you rewatch them when playing the game you could probably relate them in some way to other events.

Top Bottom