• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc |OT| Hope vs Dis Bear ( ´º)

Am I the only one who plays with Japanese voices? It just made the most sense to me since they're all Japanese. I'll replay some trials in English when I'm finished though to finish up some trophies.

Also, can someone give a list of the japanese voice actors? I think I recognize several of them but I'm afraid to look them up because of spoilers :p

Well already heard them in Japanese before so I was interested in hearing the pretty good English voice cast.

I'll probably set it back when I go back through the class trials for trophies.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
i tried replaying in JPN. Celeste and Hina were a downgrade to me. I prefer Hina's English voice (much sweeter and cuter) and Celeste (awesome accent). I also adored English Kyoko cuz there's something about her voice I find soothing. The English VO for the end game of a particular character was also pretty awesome. But the trials were a bit more fun when you could just listen to them argue rather than read everything. That was my experience.

But hey, we got dual languages so whatever you guys prefer, go with that!

Yeah, I'm certainly grateful for having multiple options. And I think they did an overall great job with the localization. I watch plenty of anime, reading the text luckily doesn't impact my experience. Inflection is the most important thing to me when hearing lines.

Kyoko was alright. I do prefer Japanese Kyoko, where her disinterested tone was a little more pronounced rather than her being monotone. Hina was one where I liked both pretty equally.

I did like
Junko as well, though I really didn't like KyokoJunko, where they made her sound like a computer. Strange choice of direction, in my opinion. She doesn't sound like that at all in the Japanese version, and Kyoko doesn't really sound like a robot in English either.

Also, can someone give a list of the japanese voice actors? I think I recognize several of them but I'm afraid to look them up because of spoilers :p

I wouldn't look up voice actors. You might spoil something for yourself.

Monokuma - Ooyama, Nobuyo
Kirigiri - Hikasa, Yoko
Makoto - Ogata, Megumi
Aoi - Saito, Chiwa
Junko - Toyoguchi, Megumi
Chihiro - Miyata, Kouki
Toko - Sawashiro, Miyuki
Hagakure - Matsukaze, Masaya
Ishimaru - Toriumi, Kousuke
Leon - Sakurai, Takahiro
Celeste Lu-whatever? - Shiina, Hekiru
Maizono - Omoto, Makiko
Sakura - Kujira
Mondo - Nakai, Kazuya
Togami - Ishida, Akira
Yamada - Yamaguchi, Kappei

I might be missing some spoilers related characters but whatever.

Tizoc

Help me out here in Chapter 3's trial please.
The truth bullet the game loads is 'broken wristwatch', how am I supposed to solve this part of the trial? Which statement should I hold Triangle on and/or what statement should I shoot at?

So after the chapter 3 trial
Genocider Jill
is my favorite character in this game.

It's a shame that URL they mentioned is a 404, though. NISA should have gotten in contact with the owners and gotten them to put something there.

The truth bullet the game loads is 'broken wristwatch', how am I supposed to solve this part of the trial? Which statement should I hold Triangle on and/or what statement should I shoot at?

Despite just doing the trial this morning I forget exactly what I did with that one, but that bullet always has to do with
the timing/order of the murders

It's also possible that this is one where you have to do the "turn a shootable statement into a truth bullet" thing, but I'm pretty sure I didn't have to do it with a statement that gave me that bullet.

CrazyDude

Can list the statements highlighted?

Feep

Banned
Hahahaha. I just had a conversation with Erika Harlacher about how they directed her to
shut me the fuck down
in Chapter 4

She apparently greatly enjoyed doing so ;)

Lusankya

Btw. Feep did you record your stuff in order? So first chapter one, then chapter two etc. or was it out of order? I ask because I had the feeling that you got better and better in representing Byakuya as the game progressed.

To be honest I didn't really like your performance during the first few parts of trial 1 (especially the stuff from the trailers), but in the end I was like "there can't be a better voice actor for Byakuya".

Vamphuntr

the voices are shaky at first but once you get into more trials and listen to their performances in full, you'll love them. trust me. the English VO is outstanding. i didn't like them in the opening either but that's because most were just little phrases here and there.

Only Makoto was the weakest to me.

I'll keep that in mind. I'm in Chapter 4 now. I'm breezing through it quickly since I already beat the fan translation. My main issue with the VA so far is that some of them don't have the same personalities than their Japanese counterparts. In the Japanese version you get some emotions or a shift of tone according to the expression of the characters that goes with the dialog but it's often not the case with the English dub. I guess this could be related to some direction problem during the recording session. So far I feel like Asahina and Yamada's VA are the best in the English dub. Fukuwa's VA is also great.

BIG SPOILER for Chapter 2 and onward
Her Genocider Sho/Genocide Jill sounds a bit less insane in English but it's still great.

Also felt like Mondo sounded faithful to his Japanese counterpart.

Really curious now about how Kuzuryuu will sound in the English version of Danganronpa 2 !

EDIT : I have no issues with Makoto so far. I felt it was a nice change since he's voiced by a woman in the Japanese version.

Squire

Banned
They seem to subtlety relate to themes in the different chapters. (Chapter 2 spoilers)
before Mondo is outed as the murder there's a Monokuma theatre about the difference is between "I killed someone" and "I ended up killing someone".
If you rewatch them when playing the game you could probably relate them in some way to other events.

Ooh, they do tie in, don't they? There's a really good one that I'm pretty sure is in Chapter 3.

Monokuma references J. Lo ( "an actress that started as a backup dancer on a sketch comedy show until she retired and married a third-rate actor"). You can see how that relates to Celeste.

Feep

Banned
Btw. Feep did you record your stuff in order? So first chapter one, then chapter two etc. or was it out of order? I ask because I had the feeling that you got better and better in representing Byakuya as the game progressed.

To be honest I didn't really like your performance during the first few parts of trial 1 (especially the stuff from the trailers), but in the end I was like "there can't be a better voice actor for Byakuya".
Yup, almost completely in order. I completely agree that it was a little rough up front. In the beginning, I didn't really have a feel for the character or how the game was really playing out, but as it went on, I got a much better handle on things. I think it's a pretty clear difference from beginning to end with most of the characters, myself especially.

Edit: And thanks, by the way! <3

PKrockin

Agreed, I can't imagine anyone else playing him now. Nice job, Feep.

LiK

I'll keep that in mind. I'm in Chapter 4 now. I'm breezing through it quickly since I already beat the fan translation. My main issue with the VA so far is that some of them don't have the same personalities than their Japanese counterparts. In the Japanese version you get some emotions or a shift of tone according to the expression of the characters that goes with the dialog but it's often not the case with the English dub. I guess this could be related to some direction problem during the recording session. So far I feel like Asahina and Yamada's VA are the best in the English dub. Fukuwa's VA is also great.

BIG SPOILER for Chapter 2 and onward
Her Genocider Sho/Genocide Jill sounds a bit less insane in English but it's still great.

Also felt like Mondo sounded faithful to his Japanese counterpart.

Really curious now about how Kuzuryuu will sound in the English version of Danganronpa 2 !

EDIT : I have no issues with Makoto so far. I felt it was a nice change since he's voiced by a woman in the Japanese version.

Makoto's English VA is a bit inconsistent at times. I feel he's at his strongest during the Closing Arguments.

Yup, almost completely in order. I completely agree that it was a little rough up front. In the beginning, I didn't really have a feel for the character or how the game was really playing out, but as it went on, I got a much better handle on things. I think it's a pretty clear difference from beginning to end with most of the characters, myself especially.

I think you did a great job. You're really good at sounding cold and detached without it coming across flat.

LiK

i'm curious if this was the same for everyone else? That explains why the VO got better and better as it went on. I always had an inkling this was how English dubs in games were done which is why people are sorta turned off by them at the beginning.

Great job, btw.

Squire

Banned
Byakuya ended up being one of my favorite characters in the game. There's a point where I was like, "Yeah, he's in it."

Moonlight

Banned
I'm gonna chime in and say that Feep did a wonderful job with Byakuya. The final chapter in particular is a stand-out in that regard. Kudos!

dkoy

I did my first playthrough with the Jap VAs and just started going through a second time with the English VAs on mean difficulty but Celeste's VA from what I've heard is great.

I have a question that may or may not be a spoiler so I'll ask in spoilers anyway
How do I unlock the last cinematic which appears after the epilogue cinematic in the list? And there's also another picture that is not yet unlockable for me despite having finished the game. The picture is somewhere around the middle of the list in the extras section.
All help appreciated

Thanks Guardian will do just that.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I did my first playthrough with the Jap VAs and just started going through a second time with the English VAs on mean difficulty but Celeste's VA from what I've heard is great.

I have a question that may or may not be a spoiler so I'll ask in spoilers anyway
How do I unlock the last cinematic which appears after the epilogue cinematic in the list? And there's also another picture that is not yet unlockable for me despite having finished the game. In the picture is somewhere around the middle of the list in the extras section.
All help appreciated

You can ask in the spoiler thread for details, but both of your missing items are available as random items from the Monokuma toy capsule machine.

pariah164

Feep played an amazing Byakuya. It still hurts my heart to not know who voiced Celeste. She deserves as much props as the rest of the VAs.

GamerJM

Banned
I'm playing with Japanese voices. I played the first 30 minutes or so twice with both voices to decide which one I liked better and ended up going with Japanese.

LiK

I'm playing with Japanese voices. I played the first 30 minutes or so twice with both voices to decide which one I liked better and ended up going with Japanese.

don't judge it by the first 30 minutes. check out the trials in English. so good.

also, just tweeted NISA's twitter about Celeste's English VO but judging from how they tweet, I'll probably get zero response.

Squire

Banned
If the voice actress herself wanted to, she'd probably have the freedom to say it herself, right?

That was just Houk for a couple of guesses. I don't think it's a game that they'd contemplate playing with people any further.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if she's in a union it's best that she not mention a non-union job. I think that's why we don't know who voiced Naoto Shitogane, for instance.

And yeah, totally. I would never think it's something they're going to keep teasing.

FluxWaveZ

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if she's in a union it's best that she not mention a non-union job. I think that's why we don't know who voiced Naoto Shitogane, for instance.

Yeah, that's the reason often suggested for the anonymity of some of these VAs.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
I don't mind Byakuya being an asshole because he's voice by Akira Ishida. Who is this feep person everyone keeps mentioning?

Planning to play it in english next time.

Just finished Chapter 4

giphy.gif

Ok so I've been following this game for a while, even qatching some translated videos in Decemer 2013, so I know kinda what to suspect. After scrounging enough penniew to buy a copy I'm now ready to play! I'm excited for the new School Life mode because that adds replayability, always a golden star in my book. So in a few hours, I'll be playing with Monokuma and co.

Ok so I've been following this game for a while, even qatching some translated videos in Decemer 2013, so I know kinda what to suspect. After scrounging enough penniew to buy a copy I'm now ready to play! I'm excited for the new School Life mode because that adds replayability, always a golden star in my book. So in a few hours, I'll be playing with Monokuma and co.

You shouldn't be watching anything about this game if you're interested in it. If you've managed to remain spoiler-free after that, good job.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Sweet. Enjoy the ride!

Top Bottom