• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc |OT| Hope vs Dis Bear ( ´º)

FluxWaveZ

I don't know,
to me it seemed like the game was going out of its way to tell you to trust Kyoko. That's just me though. I guess not being in a Phoenix Wright mindset helped.

Even if I wasn't in a Phoenix Wright mindset
I would have totally pointed out her lie 'cause screw trusting her. Of course, that wasn't the right call, but whatever.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I don't know,
to me it seemed like the game was going out of its way to tell you to trust Kyoko. That's just me though. I guess not being in a Phoenix Wright mindset helped.

Yeah, that mindset
made me pretty torn on that decision, but ultimately I went with my gut. Not like it really matters since you need to get the bad end to complete the gallery anyway.

Dresden

random thoughts about each chapter

1:
Good introduction, sets the right tone, and the focus was never on who but why, which I liked. The scenario reminds me of something like Wool, or a Fallout Vault.
Not all that fond of the minigames studded within the trials. Too many things to keep track of, too finicky, too busy.

2:
Only one to surprise me in the trial itself; went in figuring that it would just result in Byakuya-kun ( ˘ ³˘)♥'s narrative falling apart, but it did a swerve and landed on Owada instead. Enjoyed the way it incorporates silly hijinks from earlier in the chapter to extend the case. The execution (and the questions surrounding it) seems to hint at a... game show? Still sticking with the Fallout Vault Tribute scenario.

3:
Naegi's constant flailing about as he belabors the obvious was a little frustrating here. Thought this was the worst out of the three - too simple, no amusing twist, just a basic progression of events that you can figure out as it happens. Ishimaru became unbearable after Owada died, but I wish Fukawa had died with him instead of Yamada. Her alter ego is the worst character in the game.

Started Chapter 4 tonight. Feels like an obvious case, hoping for something that'll blow my mind. Wish I hadn't run out of free time scenes with
Kyoko and Byakuya-kun ( ˘ ³˘)♥.

katkombat

Banned
Haven't posted in this thread for a while but.....

I'M FINISHED AND THIS WAS FUCKING PHENOMENAL. I'm in love.

Count me in for the second game for sure.

PK Gaming

random thoughts about each chapter

3:
Naegi's constant flailing about as he belabors the obvious was a little frustrating here. Thought this was the worst out of the three - too simple, no amusing twist, just a basic progression of events that you can figure out as it happens. Ishimaru became unbearable after Owada died, but I wish Fukawa had died with him instead of Yamada. Her alter ego is the worst character in the game.

You're dead to me

LX_Theo

Banned
3:
Well... This got about the response I expected when I read it. Careful there.
Some people really like GenoJill as a character.
I'm personally indifferent.

Zephyx

3:
Ishimaru became unbearable after Owada died, but I wish Fukawa had died with him instead of Yamada. Her alter ego is the worst character in the game.

Well, I share the same opinion. :)
He just lost it when Mondo was executed.

Alright hold on

Chapter 5:
If I avoid the lie, I'm the killer, but if I pursue it, Kyoko's the killer but apparently that'll be wrong too...but that's only according to her. I'm pretty sure the main character dying is the bad end so I think I'm gonna go ahead and pursue it.

Thank God for multiple saves slots

george_us

Just completed Chapter 4...

tear_zps099e91c1.jpg

Jintor

Starting Chapter 3, it's been a crazy ride so far!

The despair is palpable, I really missed it from 999; VLR didn't have that same feel.

FluxWaveZ

Alright hold on

Chapter 5:
If I avoid the lie, I'm the killer, but if I pursue it, Kyoko's the killer but apparently that'll be wrong too...but that's only according to her. I'm pretty sure the main character dying is the bad end so I think I'm gonna go ahead and pursue it.

Thank God for multiple saves slots

Maybe you should see it through before jumping the gun...?

Well, maybe not. Won't change things either way.

Feep

Banned
About to head into Ch. 6 Trial. Deduction:

Junko is the mastermind. Everyone suspects Makoto after going into the gym, which means the headmaster told them who the mastermind was...but they didn't directly say Makoto was, because that would be 1) A lie, and 2) Too straightforward. So Monokuma must have said something like "The mastermind's face isn't in this photo!", because if the purpose of the photo was simply to establish the presence of 15 students, Monokuma (and the game designers) wouldn't have so blatantly blocked Junko's face out like that.
QED, bitches!

Of course,
that makes Byakuya a total moron for not seeing that
. Oh well, we'll see if I'm right.

Yay for bad long-term memory

Edit: Yup,
Byakuya's an idiot

Chapter 4 holy shit
i did not expect Sakura to kill herself shit made me sad, and that punishment for alter ego just killed me, damn you Monokuma!!!!!
, really amazing chapter

Dragon

Banned
Just finished Chapter 1. Really enjoying this so far although not a fan of the trial. Too many arbitrary things you have to pick out. Not sure if that's a translation issue or what.

PK Gaming

I think it's about time I posted the updated version of the ENG dub voice actor list.

I may have screwed up the last time, but this one's the real deal!!!
(Out of courtesy for the people playing through the game i'll keep it bare bones)

English dub cast
Makoto: Bryce Papenbrook (confirmed)
Kyoko: Erika Harlacher (confirmed)
Byakuya: Feep (confirmed)
Toko: Amanda Miller (confirmed)
Sayaka: ???
Leon: Grant George (confirmed)
Kiyotaka: Sean Chiplock (confirmed)
Celeste: ???
Hifumi: Lucian Dodge (confirmed)
Aoi: Cassandra Morris (confirmed)
Sakura: Jessica Gee (confirmed)
Chihiro: ???
Mondo: Keith Silverstein (confirmed)
Junko: Amanda Miller (confirmed)
Yasuhiro: Kaiji Tang (confirmed)
Monokuma: Brian Beacock (confirmed)
Genocide Jill: Erin Fitzgerald
(Significant spoilers!!!)
Mastermind: Amanda Miller & Erin Fitzgerald
(Significant spoilers!!!)

In retrospect, the voice actors aren't that unknown. A lot of them of fairly well known actors in their own right that just happen to float outside of the "Laura Bailey, Yuri Lowenthal, Troy Baker, Tara Platt, etc" anime bubble.

Jintor

Chapter 3: Deadly Life:

Are you telling me a body disappeared? HOLY SHIT, let's rush out and leave the body we were already guarding!

okay yeah shock and whatnot but still yo

Dresden

Well... This got about the response I expected when I read it. Careful there.
Some people really like GenoJill as a character.

That they do, heh.

midway through Chapter 4: Snooped around the
chem lab and I'm pretty certain now that Sakura killed herself. I guess a part of this certainty comes from how the cast has dwindled, and if it's narrowed down even further, ouch. As the number of characters goes down, the importance of those remaining grows. Which probably means Hagakure is next to go. RIP

Flek

Banned
Hm picked up the game yesterday and played for 4h - iam just going to start trial 1 and so far i can't really say i like the style of the game. So far it is a bit boring - does this pick up soon or? Also this 2,5 D or whatever it is is really ugly and takes away from the atmosphere. Anyway questions:

- MonoMono Machine what is this for - i mean what are the items for? And are the coins you get only for this machine?

- Why is the blood pink?

- Does this game get better soon (as i said iam 4h in and not really sure if i should just return the game)

- also school life is boring, do i miss something if i just sleep it out?

cheers!

Labrys

- MonoMono Machine what is this for - i mean what are the items for? And are the coins you get only for this machine?

you get presents to give your classmates for schoolmode. you also can get some extra plot related items this way.

- Why is the blood pink?

originally it was to avoid an Z rating in Japan (eq. of an AO), and it just stuck as a series staple

- Does this game get better soon (as i said iam 4h in and not really sure if i should just return the game)

have you gotten to the first trial yet? it starts picking up after that trial/the first execution

you miss out on potential skills for the class trials, which can help quite a bit. so yes, you'd miss that and character backstory

Items are presents you can give to the other characters on your free time to fill their report cards faster. Few items also unlock some bonus events. Coins are only for them.

Blood is pink mainly because of style choice I guess. Might be to help with ratings since it's kids gettin killed after all.

And as for when the game gets good, I don't really know what to tell you if you absolutely don't like the game at all by the end of chapter 1. Might just not be for you.

Hm picked up the game yesterday and played for 4h - iam just going to start trial 1 and so far i can't really say i like the style of the game. So far it is a bit boring - does this pick up soon or? Also this 2,5 D or whatever it is is really ugly and takes away from the atmosphere. Anyway questions:

- Why is the blood pink?

cheers!

You need to get to the end of the first trial before dropping it. If you don't like it by then, you probably aren't going to like it at all.

GamerJM

Banned
You need to get to the end of the first trial before dropping it. If you don't like it by then, you probably aren't going to like it at all.

I actually disagree. I'm near the end of the game right now, and I didn't really like the first two chapters very much, but I really like the game overall. The first two chapters were kinda meh to me, I still enjoyed the game to a certain extent but I had a lot of issues with the game which I went over earlier in this topic. But by chapter 3 a lot of them started to bug me less and I started to get more engrossed in the story, especially since
the cast improved as the characters that bored me all either died off or got more development, and the actual plot started to move along at a better pace as characters started uncovering the secrets of the high school.
I'd say that someone who really doesn't like the game very much at all by the end of the first chapter (or just someone who doesn't like it from a fundamental level, i.e. people who don't like games with this much text and reading) should consider stopping, but someone who's more "meh" on it should consider seeing it through until the end.

Dresden

Finished 4.
The trial was fun; it was worth it to see Togami get so completely shook. Didn't expect the laptop to be destroyed - sucks being Chihiro I guess, he basically dies twice in the game. Really expecting Hagakure to kick the bucket soon, since he's so pointless a character.

The reveal at the end of the mysterious sixteenth student (and the intro to chapter five, where you see a masked character lying dead on the floor) reminded me of Joshiraku:

(pic related to spoiler above) http://i.imgur.com/LUDHyMb.png

e: Also, (Chapter 4)
the comicbook thing at the end was pretty messed up. There were two bubbles depicting nearly the same thing - Fukawa leaving or entering the locker - which made it difficult to pick the right one (thus relying on trial and error). And for some reason, the bubble showing Ogami lifting the bottle of poison shows her with a bloody hand, when the contradiction pointed out in the trial itself shows that she had clean hands, and thus couldn't write the message in the magazine.

I actually disagree. I'm near the end of the game right now, and I didn't really like the first two chapters very much, but I really like the game overall. The first two chapters were kinda meh to me, I still enjoyed the game to a certain extent but I had a lot of issues with the game which I went over earlier in this topic. But by chapter 3 a lot of them started to bug me less and I started to get more engrossed in the story, especially since
the cast improved as the characters that bored me all either died off or got more development, and the actual plot started to move along at a better pace as characters started uncovering the secrets of the high school.
I'd say that someone who really doesn't like the game very much at all by the end of the first chapter (or just someone who doesn't like it from a fundamental level, i.e. people who don't like games with this much text and reading) should consider stopping, but someone who's more "meh" on it should consider seeing it through until the end.

Well I just mean that you don't really have a good idea of certain things like the stakes or a decent chunk of the gameplay until after the first trial. I imagine if I didn't like it by then, I'd be able to determine if it was something I could like depending on the direction it went in. Like you could enjoy the mechanics and presentation, but not the content itself or something.

Finished 4.
The trial was fun; it was worth it to see Togami get so completely shook. Didn't expect the laptop to be destroyed - sucks being Chihiro I guess, he basically dies twice in the game. Really expecting Hagakure to kick the bucket soon, since he's so pointless a character.

The reveal at the end of the mysterious sixteenth student (and the intro to chapter five, where you see a masked character lying dead on the floor) reminded me of Joshiraku:

(pic related to spoiler above) http://i.imgur.com/LUDHyMb.png

e: Also, (Chapter 4)
the comicbook thing at the end was pretty messed up. There were two bubbles depicting nearly the same thing - Fukawa leaving or entering the locker - which made it difficult to pick the right one (thus relying on trial and error). And for some reason, the bubble showing Ogami lifting the bottle of poison shows her with a bloody hand, when the contradiction pointed out in the trial itself shows that she had clean hands, and thus couldn't write the message in the magazine.
U r pointless ;(

Top Bottom