• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc |OT| Hope vs Dis Bear ( ´º)

PK Gaming

DR>TLOU confirmed!

BTW you might want not to read that review before clearing Chapter 2. They seemed to have problems with
Chihiro being a boy and how it is handled. ehh

Chapter 2 Spoilers

I can't say I agree with that reviewer's assessment. To start, I don't think Chihiro had gender identity issues at all. He considered himself to be an extremely weak individual and eventually decided to pretend to be a woman to outright bypass the social stigma of being a "weak" man. He dresses like girl to avoid being teased, not because he wants to.

In fact, the only reason he started training with Mondo in the first place was so that he could get strong enough to the point where his facade wouldn't be necessary anymore. He even outright says this as well, after everyone received their embarrassing secrets in chapter 2. We should also take the school mode ending into account, which incorporates some of his character growth from the main story, and ends up with him outright revealing his true gender to Makoto.

That said, I agree with them on the genitalia thing. That part honestly rubbed me the wrong way.

FluxWaveZ

I should have predicted that character was going to be a point of controversy, just like every single other character of their type.

Cha

Chapter 2 Spoilers

I can't say I agree with that reviewer's assessment. To start, I don't think Chihiro had gender identity issues at all. He considered himself to be an extremely weak individual and eventually decided to pretend to be a woman to outright bypass the social stigma of being a "weak" man. He dresses like girl to avoid being teased, not because he wants to.

In fact, the only reason he started training with Mondo in the first place was so that he could get strong enough to the point where his facade wouldn't be necessary anymore. He even outright says this as well, after everyone received their embarrassing secrets in chapter 2.

That said, I agree with them on the genitalia thing. That part honestly rubbed me the wrong way.

Agreed. Chapter 2 spoiler s ahead>>
But the way they referred to Chihiro as a guy was rather sudden and a bit strange. Though about the genetalia thing - how else would they have figured out out that Chihiro was male? (report card says nothing about gender, btw). Feeling up someone is the wrong way to go, but I personally didn't feel like it was distastefully done in this case, especially considering the circumstances. It was an investigation, and her gender was crucial in establishing facts to help clear up what really happened. If they weren't thorough, and didn't do what needed to be done, it could have lead to the demise of everyone.
That's my perspective on it.

I honestly wanted thrust my fist through Monokuma's face during certain points of this trail though. He was such a asshole.

But the way they referred to Chihiro as a guy was rather sudden and a bit strange. Though about the genetalia thing - how else would they have figured out out that Chihiro was male? (report card says nothing about gender, btw). Feeling up someone is the wrong way to go, but I personally didn't feel like it was distastefully done in this case, especially considering the circumstances. It was an investigation, and her gender was crucial in establishing facts to help clear up what really happened. If they didn't do what needed to be done then it could have lead to the demise of everyone.

I honestly wanted thrust my fist through Monokuma's face during certain points of this trail though. He was such a asshole.

In that regard, Naegi tends
to interchange between she and he when talking about Chihiro and Alter Ego. Hifumi also does this, but because Otaku reasons/fetishes

kewlmyc

Chapter 2 Spoilers

In fact, the only reason he started training with Mondo in the first place was so that he could get strong enough to the point where his facade wouldn't be necessary anymore. He even outright says this as well, after everyone received their embarrassing secrets in chapter 2. We should also take the school mode ending into account, which incorporates some of his character growth from the main story, and ends up with him outright revealing his true gender to Makoto.

I agree with this.
It's clear that Chihiro wanted to be designated as a male, but due to insecurities, decided on being a female to avoid teasing. So I don't really see a problem with them suddenly using male pronouns since that's what he wanted from the beginning.

PK Gaming

But the way they referred to Chihiro as a guy was rather sudden and a bit strange. Though about the genetalia thing - how else would they have figured out out that Chihiro was male? (report card says nothing about gender, btw). Feeling up someone is the wrong way to go, but I personally didn't feel like it was distastefully done in this case, especially considering the circumstances. It was an investigation, and her gender was crucial in establishing facts to help clear up what really happened. If they weren't thorough, and didn't do what needed to be done, it could have lead to the demise of everyone.
That's my perspective on it.

Good point, though it was kind over the top (I mean Sakura literally belts out a super saiyan scream upon discovering the truth). I think I would have liked it better if Kyoko had explained it from the beginning, but in all due fairness, she's always been the type who would rather "show" than "tell" and I doubt they would have believed her anyway.

FluxWaveZ

I think I would have liked it better if Kyoko had explained it from the beginning, but in all due fairness, she's always been the type who would rather "show" than "tell" and I doubt they would have believed her anyway.

Chapter 2:
Maybe Monokuma should have killed her right there immediately for wasting everyone's time. She could have mentioned it in the courtroom with Monokuma admitting Chihiro's gender instead of forcing everyone to walk all the way to the school's second floor and back.

Then again, people would have probably wanted to know themselves.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Also, in the extra mode:

School Life makes clear that Chihiro considered himself male.
Yup, not to mention
while Makoto is a bit shocked at first being told this during Chihiro's character ending, he comes to accept this & is willing to support Chihiro and they continue to be friends.

Tizoc

So I guess that's it for the game then huh? Well I enjoyed it enough to rank it as a GotY contender for me.
Now to wait for DangaRonpa 2 ;.;

Is there anywhere I can read or discuss about WTF is actually going on in this game because
amnesia has to be the laziest idea the dev team decided to utilize/

So I guess that's it for the game then huh? Well I enjoyed it enough to rank it as a GotY contender for me.
Now to wait for DangaRonpa 2 ;.;

Is there anywhere I can read or discuss about WTF is actually going on in this game because
amnesia has to be the laziest idea the dev team decided to utilize/

We have a very lovely spoilers thread.

Let the dancing Monokuma show you the way.

uJ3NZrY.gif

I should have predicted that character was going to be a point of controversy, just like every single other character of their type.

That is exactly why I made a rule in the spoiler thread about it and made me want to stay faraway from the tumblr DR fandom -__-

It's a subject that should definitely be discussed if people want to do so, but the problem is how they do it.

Also it annoys me when people just go "well fuck the author and the canon" about it.

Gaiz.

I hate anime (modren anime, at least).

I am a STAUNCH gameplay gameplay gameplay guy.

This little thing happened upon my Vita and what can I say? I'm freaking HOOKED.

Currently starting Chapter Two
and wishing hot death to Toko

Junko. *cries*

Dresden

About to start the trial in chapter five, and I still don't have a lock as to who the culprit is. Hasn't been the case before, so this is a nice feeling. Should be fun!

Have two scenarios in mind, but both end with Kirigiri dead, which doesn't feel possible for where the story is at right now (and I don't want it to happen because I like Kirigiri).

e:
lol, Kirigiri shows up at the elevator. There goes one of my scenarios, maybe the sixteenth student was her all along. I wonder if this is where Hagakure bites it. Just hope it's not Byakuya-kun (´ε` )♡.

Feep

Banned
About to start the trial in chapter five, and I still don't have a lock as to who the culprit is. Hasn't been the case before, so this is a nice feeling. Should be fun!

Have two scenarios in mind, but both end with Kirigiri dead, which doesn't feel possible for where the story is at right now (and I don't want it to happen because I like Kirigiri).

e:
lol, Kirigiri shows up at the elevator. There goes one of my scenarios, maybe the sixteenth student was her all along. I wonder if this is where Hagakure bites it. Just hope it's not Byakuya-kun (´ε` )♡.
Guyssssss a mod has a crush on meeeeeee

yami4ct

Just finished Chapter 5. The
Bad End
is super duper creepy in probably the most hilarious way possible.
All the kids end up living their lives in some sort of polygamist colony and crazy girl ends up dead for some reason

As for the larger story implications,
Kirigi's "Ultimate" title was no surprise given all the hints. My guess was either PI or secret government agent
. It also seems like there's some sort of
interdimensional or time travel aspect going on since both "ends" have some sort of repartition to them
. Seems like the game is going full on
which isn't something I was predicting, but not all that surprising either. Also, the whole thing is a
conspiracy with a larger group
it seems. The plot thickens!

Time to play fun ending speculation. The
ultimate 'tragedy' dead group is our heroes from another timeline. They organized this as someway to get out of dying. Explains both the group and strange photos.

Jintor

his soundcloud has now transitioned into Owain lines. I was wondering why my computer was shouting "RADIANT... DAWN" at me

Dresden

Case 5 trial:
Loved it, but realizing that it wasn't a real game over was disappointing. I was hoping that I'd have to reload and pick the right choice regarding Kyoko this time, but I guess it wasn't meant to be (and the others probably were not selectable, anyways).

e:
dem reveals

fuck, is Togami behind it all???

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Just beat it. Really fantastic game. Super duper excited for 2 now.

On to School Mode for now. Sayaka, here I come!

Dresden

Okay, (Chapter 6)
now that the investigation has begun for the final trial, my guess is that it's Hagakure who was behind it all. The Crystal Ball was his control mechanism!!! My evidence is my ass.

jtm33

Neo Member
Kind of disturbing given .

Following on from this discussion.
In relation to how the other characters treat her and their use of language. This game was written in Japanese. I know we can still criticise how the English version was written but I want to know how this was handled in the original language. I don't know to what extent Japanese has gender neutral pronouns and whether the characters fixated on it as much in that version. It seems really awkward in English because every other sentence you are reminded of how each character sees her gender but I am guessing it is not as severe in the original language? Anyone here who knows enough to comment on that?

Jintor

Urgh, at least 4 or 5 points in this case where I've known what the answer was and was at a complete loss as to figure out which statement met which statement to prove to the game I knew what I was talking about. This is a recurring problem for all these kinds of games...

Conan-san

Finished! Very good, not VLR but a strong story. Also I'm delighted I can now click on DanganRonpa threads as I've nearly clicked on the two spoiler-filled ones we've got over the last few days and that would've been a disaster.

I did the start again with the English VO just to see what it was like and man that Monokuma is nowhere near as terrifying as the Japanese one.

To be fair they were kinda caught between a rock and a hard place with that. To be even close to the same effect they'd need to somehow convince Bret Iwan to do it and in his Mickey tone which Disney would never allow.

Jintor

Bad Ended Chapter 5. Didn't even know that was possible. Intense shit. Thankfully it throws you back.

This is where being a fan of Phoenix Wright
and it's "The TRUTH will set ye free" logic
really bites you in the ass

/edit uhhhhhhh

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Flandy

Guyssssss a mod has a crush on meeeeeee

I loved your rich brat voice during the trials <3
Do you normally sound like a rich brat?

Just finished Chapter 5. The
Bad End
is super duper creepy in probably the most hilarious way possible.
All the kids end up living their lives in some sort of polygamist colony and crazy girl ends up dead for some reason
My favorite part about that is that it doesn't even tell you why that person dies. It just lets you wonder on your own :lol

Jintor

Some quick thoughts on Chapter 6, just started investigating.

Went to the data room, as soon as I was done Monokuma popped out and started harassing us. Since Monokuma is being controlled from inside the dataroom, naturally, the six students that were in the dining room this morning could not possibly be controlling Mono.

Therefore, whoever is controlling Mono - assuming the stuff about the 16 students is accurate - must be a student who 'died'.

Of course, this doesn't account for multiple masterminds, anything about the 16th student, etc, etc, etc

Also, I'm fairly certain just existing on tumblr at all has spoiled everything for me in some way and I've probably seen the truth pass by at some point, but eh, we'll see if I'm right or not.

AniHawk

Okay, (Chapter 6)
now that the investigation has begun for the final trial, my guess is that it's Hagakure who was behind it all. The Crystal Ball was his control mechanism!!! My evidence is my ass.

a conclusion worthy of hiro himself

Top Bottom