• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc |OT| Hope vs Dis Bear ( ´º)

Dresden

U r pointless ;(

sorry man :(

because, because, BECAUSE, BECAUSE, BECAUSE, BECAUSE

you have excellent taste in characters.

drillhair holds her back :(

- - -

Chapter 5:
Explored the fifth floor and... is this place underground? It's pointed out that there are no stairs going up now, but the building shown early on is definitely more than five floors.

The botanic garden/greenhouse feels like more evidence that this is a Fallout Vault and the last line of the game will be war, war never changes. The Crazy Diamond thing is weird, though, and seems to fall in line with the photographs that Naegi finds on floors 3 and 4.

Jintor

Okay, here, laugh at my chapter 3 predictions based on very little evidence. Just started the deadly game.

I think Celeste is the mastermind, with Hifumi as an accomplice. This is based on the fact that Celeste was the one found 'unconscious' in the rec room first and claims she was attacked at 7am, and is also the one constantly screaming to draw attention to disappearing bodies etc.

Hifumi cleans his glasses when Asahina and Celeste leave the room and scarpers to the top floor, where he is killed for real.

This theory is pretty dependent on being able to fake-trigger the body-discovery announcement though... hmmmm... and I don't have great grounds for a motive... pure conjecture right now

I need to work on this. Well, it'll all come out in the trial anyway...

/edit Hmm, Kyoko finally started talking and I may have to revise this theory already

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
My favorite english voices are the ones of Hifumi and Hiro, they make me laugh when they scream lol, best voice acting is a tie between Junko and Toko.
While the voices are good sometimes the recording is not imo, sometimes it sounds recorded from a bad/amateurish microphone, in addition to hear well what people say i had to put the volume music and effects almost at minimum while the voices are at maximum.

Dresden

5:
The TV reveal in the data processing room kinda sunk my Ron Perlman theory... oh well.

Was ready to spam NOOOOOOOOOO until I realized that it was impossible for the corpse to be Kirigiri, due to the nails.

Jintor

Urgh, I didn't know a truth bullet conversion could carry over when the conversation loops. Got stuck for a while there.

My vita screen keeps going haywire, thinks it's being pressed constantly and speeds through conversation text sometimes. Irritating as fuck.

Also, the delay between firing a bullet and it landing is irritating as fuck

sub_o

how different is this game from Virtue's Last Reward? I just finished this and I loved it

In VLR, you're tasked to solve puzzles in rooms, rather than investigating and solving murders. I personally think that murder investigation is better than arbitrary puzzle solving.

However VLR has better story than Danganronpa. For me the end of Danganronpa makes me go, "Hmm this sounds crazy and weird", but by the end of VLR, I was like, "What the fuck did they do again?".

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
how different is this game from Virtue's Last Reward? I just finished this and I loved it

Imo they are too similar despite Daganronpa having investigation instead of puzzles, later i will open a thead about this(i want to finish Daganronpa first, i had to go to bed almost at the end of the final trial), consider that Daganronpa on PSP was released 2 years before VLR.

PKrockin

The tone is a bit darker and it's a bit less mindscrew-y. In each chapter you do some free exploring around the school, pick which characters to hang out with for some more detail about their character/past/motivations, investigate a murder, and then go to a class trial where you debate who did it while occasionally playing simple minigames. So the gameplay is more streamlined and spread more evenly throughout the game rather than VLR's segmented "story" -> "extended puzzle room sequence" -> "story" structure.

You'll probably like it a lot.

Urgh, I didn't know a truth bullet conversion could carry over when the conversation loops. Got stuck for a while there.

My vita screen keeps going haywire, thinks it's being pressed constantly and speeds through conversation text sometimes. Irritating as fuck.

Also, the delay between firing a bullet and it landing is irritating as fuck
Anyone remember what character gives you the skill that speeds up the truth bullet speed a ton?

Jintor

Imo they are too similar despite Daganronpa having investigation instead of puzzles, later i will open a thead about this(i want to finish Daganronpa first, i had to go to bed almost at the end of the final trial), consider that Daganronpa on PSP was released 2 years before VLR.

Yeah but 999 was released a year before Dangan Ronpa sooooooooooooo

Jintor

So, early chapter 4.

Is it actually possible to tell Kyoko if you fulfil certain conditions, or is it a one-choice choice

Yasawas

I'm at the beginning of the trial in chapter six, can anyone advise how long I've got left roughly? I'd like to do it in one sitting tonight if I could.

Still working through Chapter 2's case, but it's been interesting so far.

Got up to when the group is trying to figure out if Mondo (IIRC the name for the biker gang/bancho guy) is the killer. Based on what's happened so far I'm having a feeling that Ultimate Moral Compass guy did it with the gender twist reveal.

And I so called Toko being a killer, at least in some fashion. Her VA did a great job when the split personality came out.

EDIT: Also, do the skills I set get auto-activated or do I have to go to some sort of menu to activate them while in the trial (after I activated them pre-trial, obviously)?

Lusankya

Still working through Chapter 2's case, but it's been interesting so far.

And I so called Toko being a killer, at least in some fashion. Her VA did a great job when the split personality came out.

Well, actually
Genocide Jack is voiced by a different person. :)

EDIT: Also, do the skills I set get auto-activated or do I have to go to some sort of menu to activate them while in the trial (after I activated them pre-trial, obviously)?

They're automatically active once you have set them prior to the trial.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
They'll automatically be applied throughout the trial if you have them selected beforehand.

FluxWaveZ

If you've equipped them, they're equipped and their effect will be applied automatically, at least for those that I got.

It's cool to see many people enjoy this game. Definitely seems like the type of game people will progressively come to learn of and have fun with just like Zero Escape, Persona 4 Golden or Ace Attorney.

pariah164

Due to all the mentions of VLR, I feel it would behoove me to once again remind everyone to not play VLR until you play and complete 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors. You get much more out of VLR if you do.

/PSA

Back on topic, still trying to plat this game. Stupid Monokuma machine...

LiK

Due to all the mentions of VLR, I feel it would behoove me to once again remind everyone to not play VLR until you play and complete 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors. You get much more out of VLR if you do.

/PSA

Yup, playing VLR before 999 is like playing SDR2 before DR.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

/PSA

This is gonna be hard to resist. I have in on VIta via + and don't really feel like tracking down 999.

This is gonna be hard to resist. I have in on VIta via + and don't really feel like tracking down 999.

There are good commentary-less Let's Plays on YouTube. Purists will argue "NO YOU NEED TO PLAY THE GAME TO FULLY APPRECIATE IT", I had no problem with watching through 999 the first time. Where the game is so heavily story based, unless you LOVE puzzle rooms you won't really miss out by watching instead of playing.

yami4ct

Up to Chapter 5 now. Enjoying this game a ton. I hadn't heard of it until people started discussing it in Zero Escape threads, so I'm glad I decided to check it out. It' s probably one of the most tense games I've played since Corpse Party. I love how they give you a reason to like most of the characters, only to doom them to a horrible death.

Chapter thoughts so far.

Chapter 1: Biggest shock of the game for me so far. I honestly didn't expect them to
kill Sayaka right off the bat. She would be a character I would think would be mostly untouchable with most anime/VN tropes.
Didn't guess the murderer until close to then end, but that's not surprising given the twist that
it began as self defense.

Chapter 2:The initial twist about the
gender swap
wasn't much of a surprise, but I'm not sure it was supposed to be. Killer was a surprise, but probably shouldn't have been. Didn't really put together most of the pieces until the trial.

Chapter 3:pretty much called the murderer right at the beginning.
Celeste's attack
was a bit too suspicious. Didn't figure out the details until much later, but there were almost no surprises for me this time. Didn't dislike the chapter, but most boring case so far.

Chapter 4: Called the entire the case the moment the body was found. Pretty much got it dead on in every detail except
Aoi's coverup
. Still, a very sad and emotionally effective chapter. Not sure where the final twist of the
sixteenth student
is going, but can't wait to find out.

Don't have many theories about the overall plot. It's too mysterious for me to put together. The only thing I can kind of guess is that
no one is really dying and this is all some sort of sick entertainment
. My other guess is that
everyone here knew each other and their memories are all false. They were somehow kidnapped and memories were swapped by the mastermind, who could have been another friend or person they wronged in the "real world",
Either those would explain the mysterious photos, but other than that I've got nothing.

Oh, and I'm on the anti
Genocide Jill
side. I really don't like that character one bit. It's probably the one character so far that does nothing for me.

I just finished Chapter 5. Shit is getting interesting :O

Also, I think I've found something out that will be revealed in chapter 6.
CHAPTER 6 SPECULATION
I think the body of chapter 5 is actually Junko's corpse. The false nails and multiple wounds that were days old heavily hint at that. If true, that means the 16th student is still around, should be a fun chapter :p.
Don't tell me if I'm right though, I want to find out myself.

Squire

Banned
Polygon - 8

Danganronpa is, hands-down, one of the strangest games I've ever played — and yet also one of the most enjoyable and thought-provoking. It plays with ideas I rarely get to explore in games: the desperation that drives people to kill, how quickly you'll betray your friends, loss and despair. I can't say that Danganronpa makes murder fun — but it weaves gripping gameplay and storytelling with an off-beat cast in a way that's absolutely to die for.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/24/5435266/danganronpa-trigger-happy-havoc-review-deadly-combination

Yasawas

Finished! Very good, not VLR but a strong story. Also I'm delighted I can now click on DanganRonpa threads as I've nearly clicked on the two spoiler-filled ones we've got over the last few days and that would've been a disaster.

I did the start again with the English VO just to see what it was like and man that Monokuma is nowhere near as terrifying as the Japanese one.

Finished! Very good, not VLR but a strong story. Also I'm delighted I can now click on DanganRonpa threads as I've nearly clicked on the two spoiler-filled ones we've got over the last few days and that would've been a disaster.

I did the start again with the English VO just to see what it was like and man that Monokuma is nowhere near as terrifying as the Japanese one.

Nothing's more terrifying than Doraekuma.

hW1R6ef.jpg

Tizoc

Ugh I hate how molasses my brain is, help me out with this final trial
It's against Junko, one of the weak points is Makoto saying the word hope, the other characters not Junko simply reply with '...'
How do I solve this trial?

It's against Junko, one of the weak points is Makoto saying the word hope, the other characters not Junko simply reply with '...'

Shoot hope at everyone

Trigger

Convert hope to a bullet and shoot everyone's hesistation.

Tizoc

tHANKS guys, I used to just Hold Triangle over a sentence and it'd do it, should've known something out of place as that scene would've been itneresting.

Top Bottom