• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc |OT| Hope vs Dis Bear ( ´º)

also

Banned
I’m so excited! I’m finally about to start this in the next few days since I’m nearly finished with Rayman Legends.

Just to make sure, it’s recommended that I pick both the harder difficulties right? What exactly do they change?
Even on the hardest difficulty it's still disappointingly easy, so definitely go for it.

Logic: affects how hard it is to figure out the contradiction; changes the number of truth bullets available and what weak points are highlighted
Action: affects how hard the action bits are; changes aim steadiness, chatter frequency, and speed during the endless debate, and the difficulty of the two minigames.

Even on the hardest difficulty it's still disappointingly easy, so definitely go for it.

Logic: affects how hard it is to figure out the contradiction; changes the number of truth bullets available and what weak points are highlighted
Action: affects how hard the action bits are; changes aim steadiness, chatter frequency, and speed during the endless debate, and the difficulty of the two minigames.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. It seems like the harder difficulty is the way to go.

Acid08

Banned
Oh forgot to mention my other chapter 1 wtf moment, I got
spoiled on the fact that Junko got murked early but I didn't know when or how. That was fucking surprising to me, I thought she would be the second victim or something. But NOPE dead as fuck for no reason. Sucks because I wanted to talk to her way more :/

PK Gaming

spoiled on the fact that Junko got murked early but I didn't know when or how. That was fucking surprising to me, I thought she would be the second victim or something. But NOPE dead as fuck for no reason. Sucks because I wanted to talk to her way more :/

images

;_;

That's made me really sad even the second time I played through it. It's just depressing. I really liked her.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Just beat chapter 2: whaaaattt this game is nuts.

If my waifu dies I'm gonna lose my shit. So far she's safe... but I wonder if she's the mole.

This is miles better than 999/VLR. Not quite AA/Ghost Trick level but really good stuff.

LiK

If my waifu dies I'm gonna lose my shit. So far she's safe... but I wonder if she's the mole.

This is miles better than 999/VLR. Not quite AA/Ghost Trick level but really good stuff.

only gets crazier

This is only the beginning my friend, it's get's crazier. And you may fall out of your chair a few times in the process of this game as well.

Jintor

I think DR is definitely more immediately interesting and compelling than 999/VLR.
Unfortunately it has in my opinion a far weaker ending than either, even VLR, but maybe they're going somewhere with SDR2

Shu Takumi still king and god though.

So, what the point of the School Days mode? I haven't found any part of it terribly interesting yet.

Though, I did giggle when the devs ask not to judge them harshly as some of the characters' conversations still refer to the death game even though the situation is entirely different. I like the honesty.

Jintor

The school mode character ends are pretty good, but it's a lot of work to get to that point

if you don't want the platinum you might as well just youtube them or something.

So, what the point of the School Days mode? I haven't found any part of it terribly interesting yet.

Though, I did giggle when the devs ask not to judge them harshly as some of the characters' conversations still refer to the death game even though the situation is entirely different. I like the honesty.

It's mostly so you can build relationships and find out more about the characters without the whole some of them getting brutally murdered getting in the way.

Acid08

Banned
Ch. 2 END

Well fuck. I was allllll set from the beginning for the killer to be Byakyu because that guy is a gigantic shitlord. Never really bought the Gentleman Jack angle. But obviously things didn't go as I foresaw lol. The little story at the end of this one was pretty fucking sad. Despair indeed.

As far as the mole? I think Kyoko is the most obvious choice but this game subverts everything you think is going to happen so it's probably not her. Maybe gothic chick? Idk.

This fucking game.

It's mostly so you can build relationships and find out more about the characters without the whole some of them getting brutally murdered getting in the way.
Exactly, and you can experience all the Free Time dialogs, which you couldn't normally do. And also unlock the various skill, which I find pretty interesting.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Ch. 2 END

Well fuck. I was allllll set from the beginning for the killer to be Byakyu because that guy is a gigantic shitlord. Never really bought the Gentleman Jack angle. But obviously things didn't go as I foresaw lol. The little story at the end of this one was pretty fucking sad. Despair indeed.

As far as the mole? I think Kyoko is the most obvious choice but this game subverts everything you think is going to happen so it's probably not her. Maybe gothic chick? Idk.

This fucking game.

Yeah this shit is bananas. I thought the ch 2 twist was a little weird but I'm sure that little bitch is gonna get his.

LiK

I think DR is definitely more immediately interesting and compelling than 999/VLR.
Unfortunately it has in my opinion a far weaker ending than either, even VLR, but maybe they're going somewhere with SDR2

Shu Takumi still king and god though.

I think 999 and VLR is much more of a slower burn and takes it's time to ramp up to the insanity. DR pretty much starts off crazy almost instantly and never stops. I do admit that the Zero Escape series sometimes suffers due to some puzzles. DR doesn't have any of those brain teasers.

Jintor

DR barely held any challenge for me. I think they handhold the steps too much. Often the larger plot was beyond my immediate comprehension but they make the steps to get there really obvious. You can generally work out the general outline of a case before you even get to trial... but I guess it's not like they can Phoenix Wright it, have a recess, and go gather more turnabout evidence.

LiK

DR barely held any challenge for me. I think they handhold the steps too much. Often the larger plot was beyond my immediate comprehension but they make the steps to get there really obvious. You can generally work out the general outline of a case before you even get to trial... but I guess it's not like they can Phoenix Wright it, have a recess, and go gather more turnabout evidence.

It makes me excited for DR2. Also, speaking of AA, I can see AA5 being influenced by certain things in DR. It wasn't apparent to me until I played DR.

Exactly, and you can experience all the Free Time dialogs, which you couldn't normally do. And also unlock the various skill, which I find pretty interesting.

Ooooooooh, okay. It's just the whole
building monokumas and getting resources
thing that I find boring.

DaBoss

I just started this and got to the first murder and holy shit. I knew someone was going to get killed at that point, but didn't really expect THAT person to get killed.

Then there is what happened soon after that
in the gym room and I am totally confused about that. Seemed way too early for Junko to die. Barely knew anything about her. Kind of suspicious due to that. The game seems like you will know each character very well like in VLR.

I'm guessing you have to replay the game constantly to fill up every character's report card? I didn't finish (someone who gets killed)
Sayaka's and now she's dead. Does the e-Handbook carry over through different saves?

LiK

^ if you want tips for getting trophies or maxing out stuff, don't bother until you finish the game. Just enjoy the ride for now.

DaBoss

^ if you want tips for getting trophies or maxing out stuff, don't bother until you finish the game. Just enjoy the ride for now.
Alright, thanks. I thought it would be necessary to complete every character's report card.

Ooooooooh, okay. It's just the whole
building monokumas and getting resources
thing that I find boring.

It isn't as bad after your first one, where your character's cleaning and collection levels start to raise.

It gets a little repetitive by then but I'm sure you can power through it if you like the characters.

Lusankya

Alright, thanks. I thought it would be necessary to complete every character's report card.

You can do this after you have finished the game. Then there will be "School Mode", a non-canonical side story where the students aren't forced to kill each other, and you can fill the report cards for all characters.

Chris R

So I beat the game last night, have a few questions about the series and game and don't want to walk into the spoiler thread just yet.

a) How do the other games in the series tie into this one? And when would they be out in NA on the Vita?

b) END OF GAME SPOILER
Is there any new and worthwhile material in the "What-If" scenario? How long is it if there is stuff worth seeing. Only did 3 or 4 mins of it last night but it seemed exactly the same, outside of the brightly colored name bars.
END OF GAME SPOILER

So I beat the game last night, have a few questions about the series and game and don't want to walk into the spoiler thread just yet.

a) How do the other games in the series tie into this one? And when would they be out in NA on the Vita?

b) END OF GAME SPOILER
Is there any new and worthwhile material in the "What-If" scenario? How long is it if there is stuff worth seeing. Only did 3 or 4 mins of it last night but it seemed exactly the same, outside of the brightly colored name bars.
END OF GAME SPOILER

a. Danganronpa 2's is a sequel set after this game. New characters but expands more on the things left unanswered. Coming out this fall.

Danganronpa Zero is a prequel light novel that explains more about the mastermind. No localized release has been planned.

Danganronpa IF is a what-if story about the first game. It is coming with the second game this fall.

Danganronpa Another Episode is set between the first and second game. Also on the Vita, no localization announcement but the director on Twitter did mentioned that it's likely if the sales of the first game are good.

Lusankya

b) END OF GAME SPOILER
END OF GAME SPOILER

You can see a funny ending introducing a character from DR2 and you can also get character endings during which you will learn quite some stuff about them. If you don't want to play through school mode you can also just watch the endings on Youtube. Be aware that YT could potentially spoil some DR2 things with its recommendation system.

Acid08

Banned
Ah... I see you're one of the blessed few

You need an item to see that scene. Without it, Makoto decides against peeping on the girls out of respect for them. A man's fantasy.
Wait no I'm talking about
Aoi laying around in her underwear. But....which item do I need and how do I get it?

PK Gaming

Wait no I'm talking about
Aoi laying around in her underwear. But....which item do I need and how do I get it?

Oh...

It's called "A man's fantasy." You can randomly get as a gift via the monokuma gift machine. Make sure you have plenty of coins and save/reload as needed!

So... FreeTime events, does building up your relationship with each character effect how they react to you in Class Trial events? Like opening up new dialog, supporting you, etc? Or is just for unlocking skills to use during the Class Trials?

So... FreeTime events, does building up your relationship with each character effect how they react to you in Class Trial events? Like opening up new dialog, supporting you, etc? Or is just for unlocking skills to use during the Class Trials?

Just skills.

Nothing from free time carries over into the actual plot.

LiK

Nope, no changes with relationships in the story. It unlocks skills and skill slots for the trials tho.

Top Bottom