• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc |OT| Hope vs Dis Bear ( ´º)

Just found out who was killed in Ch 2. Which heartless asshole would kill that person.

Seriously... just finished that chapter yesterday.

In other news, this game is a serious timesink. And I don't even realize how long I've played when I'm done for the session. I'm in over 8 hours and just finished chapter 2. Fun so far. it definitely has some issues, particularly with the inane mini games during trial, but nothing game breaking.

Acid08

Banned
Ch. 3 END

This was my least favorite case so far. Figured out it was Celeste pretty early on which wasn't bad, still fun to see how everything played out. But I guess I didn't really care about any of the three characters who died so it didn't have a huge impact on me. Celeste's death scene was pretty fucking crazy at least.

But then immediately the game throws more crazy shit my way and I'm just like :OOOOOOOO didn't think the spy would be Sakura at all. And I'm guessing whoever attacked Makoto is the 16th student. And Monokuma did something to Kyoko's body? Some kind of robot or genetic experiments?

Also still waiting for Hiro to show why hell he's even there.

Was going to put the game down for tonight but NOPE. Need to see where this leads.

Acid08

Banned
Ch. 4

maaaaaan why even give me the choice to tell Kyoko about Sakura if you're going to force me into one of the options?

DaBoss

Finished Ch 2. I stayed up for like 4 hours past midnight playing it.

The killer is a weak idiot. Byakuka is even worse than I thought. Changing up the crime scene because he thought it would be boring.

I didn't like Toko at all before, and now I have to deal with that Genocide Jill schtick of hers too now...

Also, lol at the beginning of Ch 3 with both of those scenes.

EDIT: I just want my guess to be known just before the class trial begins for Ch 3.
Hifumi did it. I feel it in my bones.

EDIT2: In the middle now, and there is only one way this plan could have worked, so the culprit is obvious. It is
Celeste

DaBoss

Does setting it to Gentle difficulty do anything other than affect Case Trials' difficulties? I really hate how they keep adding some crap on top of the simple mechanics.

Sorian

Banned
Does setting it to Gentle difficulty do anything other than affect Case Trials' difficulties? I really hate how they keep adding some crap on top of the simple mechanics.

I don't follow? You're mad that they are adding things that make the game more difficult? But to answer, if you read tutorials, a lot of them will start mentioning a mechanic and then say "unless you are playing on gentle, then don't worry about that one."

Acid08

Banned
I don't follow? You're mad that they are adding things that make the game more difficult? But to answer, if you read tutorials, a lot of them will start mentioning a mechanic and then say "unless you are playing on gentle, then don't worry about that one."
The things they're adding aren't actually all that fun. They're fine but aren't really adding much imo.

DaBoss

No, I don't like how they keep adding stuff because it just becomes more convoluted. It's not really fun. I get they're increasing the difficulty and make it not feel repetitive, but I feel like it is a cop out way to increase the difficulty.

I know if will make those new stuff not appear in Gentle Difficulty, but I don't know anything about whether it affects anything else. I'm assuming no, but I just want to be sure.

Sorian

Banned
Agreed. I don't see the point of shooting the purple phrases other than adding 1 second of time to the clock. But you already have plenty of time.

They're in the way, it adds difficulty, that's the point and it succeeds. The "gameplay" isn't particularly great but they went for something different and it works.

No, I don't like how they keep adding stuff because it just becomes more convoluted. It's not really fun. I get they're increasing the difficulty and make it not feel repetitive, but I feel like it is a cop out way to increase the difficulty.

I know if will make those new stuff not appear in Gentle Difficulty, but I don't know anything about whether it affects anything else. I'm assuming no, but I just want to be sure.

Action difficulty is just for the mini-games afaik and the logic difficulty is for how many truth bullets you will have to choose from.

PKrockin

I see how people find them annoying but the white noise and movement of the text makes things a little more involved and gives the nonstop debate more of a reason to be real-time. It wasn't hard in the slightest to shoot the white noise in my experience anyway. It's not very well designed but I find it does help the debates feel a bit more chaotic and unruly which I'm sure is what they were going for. After all, this is a trial full of high school kids who just hours ago discovered the corpse of one of their friends, and there's no judge keeping them from talking over each other and throwing irrelevant comments out there.

Yet another thing this game kind of fumbles mechanically but works thematically.

Acid08

Banned
I see how people find them annoying but the white noise and movement of the text makes things a little more involved and gives the nonstop debate more of a reason to be real-time. It wasn't hard in the slightest to shoot the white noise in my experience anyway. It's not very well designed but I find it does help the debates feel a bit more chaotic and unruly which I'm sure is what they were going for. After all, this is a trial full of high school kids who just hours ago discovered the corpse of one of their friends, and there's no judge keeping them from talking over each other and throwing irrelevant comments out there.

Yet another thing this game kind of fumbles mechanically but works thematically.
This I totally agree with. Thematically great but mechanically they just don't add anything.

Sorian

Banned
They really don't add difficulty though. Just minor annoyance.

Annoyance is just difficulty that you can easily overcome isnt it? With this gameplay and this genre it's hard to really add "difficulty" to anything. Pointing out the contradictions doesn't really work if they want to add a blanket difficulty layer because something that stumps one person will have made sense to someone else during the last half hour of discussion and vice-versa. Ace Attorney, for example, is fine not having a definitive difficulty curve. Dangan Ronpa wanted to add something that would add a new level, no matter how easy, that everyone would have to get past in the same way.

Acid08

Banned
Annoyance is just difficulty that you can easily overcome isnt it? With this gameplay and this genre it's hard to really add "difficulty" to anything. Pointing out the contradictions doesn't really work if they want to add a blanket difficulty layer because something that stumps one person will have made sense to someone else during the last half hour of discussion and vice-versa. Ace Attorney, for example, is fine not having a definitive difficulty curve. Dangan Ronpa wanted to add something that would add a new level, no matter how easy, that everyone would have to get past in the same way.
And I'm saying that they don't add anything to the game from a mechanical "is this fun to play?" standpoint. And I disagree that annoyance=difficulty. It isn't difficult to blast away the white noise. It's so not difficult that it doesn't actually add much to the experience.

MSMrRound

there's got to be a better way to grind money

Replaying class trials is usually the quickest way to earn some Monokuma coins. Either that or School Mode for 200 coins a pop. Get
Celeste's (level 3 I think?) skill Raise so that you can earn more coins via class trial or investigating objects e.g you will earn 3 coin instead of 1 coin with this passive skill

Jintor

I'm trying to round off my presents but I need like 70 coins a pop for 100% success rate

it's probably better to just keep getting 1 coin things but i don't know if I'm bored enough... but then again, it's probably actually more economical than going through trials over and over...

i still don't know how the lucky mechanic works. I feel like I have to press down when the machine shakes, but sometimes I don't and it still triggers...

MSMrRound

What I did was that I went for around 89~92% of presents, before I start chucking those coins for the 0.00% chance of repeating.

However...
you should probably save up your coins for that 999 monokuma coins trophy though

"Lucky" feels like you just need to reach a certain number of coins spent. I usually get like 2 or 3 "Luckys" with every 70 coins spent in one go.

Sorian

Banned
From 999 coins, I got all of the presents with about 150 starting from 30% repeat chance using only 1 coin at a time. Take that how you will.

Yeah, I got all the presents by slowly inserting one coin at a time in the MonoMono machine.

I wasn't even at 999 coins either, I mostly did it after every class trial (so around 100ish coins) and after I beat the game (around 200 coins that time).

Jinto

I just finished chapter 2. Such a great game so far! The second chapter was a little more difficult to predict than than the first one. I pretty much figured out what happened in chapter 1 almost right away.

I had an idea who was gonna die, and I pretty much figured out that Byakuya and Toko weren't the killers. I just didn't know who the real killer was until later on in the trial. Some of the things didn't make sense, but I'm glad they explained it. Like why Byakuya would go through the trouble of making it look like Genocide Jack did it. He did such a bad job of it too. It's all become clear now.

The only problem I have with the game is reenacting what happened. It's hard to tell what's happening in those little pics even though I knew how it all it went down. Took me forever to complete, until I realized you could press x over the question mark, and it gives you a hint. Onto chapter 3.

Sorian

Banned
I just finished chapter 2. Such a great game so far! The second chapter was a little more difficult to predict than than the first one. I pretty much figured out what happened in chapter 1 almost right away.

I had an idea who was gonna die, and I pretty much figured out that Byakuya and Toko weren't the killers. I just didn't know who the real killer was until later on in the trial. Some of the things didn't make sense, but I'm glad they explained it. Like why Byakuya would go through the trouble of making it look like Genocide Jack did it. He did such a bad job of it too. It's all become clear now.

The only problem I have with the game is reenacting what happened. It's hard to tell what's happening in those little pics even though I knew how it all it went down. Took me forever to complete, until I realized you could press x over the question mark, and it gives you a hint. Onto chapter 3.

It's an issue they fix in the sequel because they know it was done poorly. Each pic in the sequel has a little description attached to it as well.

Tizoc

In my case it took me a while to realize i'm re-inacting events as a japanese manga so stuff had to go from right to left =P

Jinto

It's an issue they fix in the sequel because they know it was done poorly. Each pic in the sequel has a little description attached to it as well.

Ah, good to know.

I just got to the first free time segment in Ch 3 after spending like an hour trying to get that "A Man's Fantasy" item. lol

There's definitely no let down after what happened in Ch 2. Ima cry if something bad happens to my favorite character.

LX_Theo

Banned
Ah, good to know.

I just got to the first free time segment in Ch 3 after spending like an hour trying to get that "A Man's Fantasy" item. lol

There's definitely no let down after what happened in Ch 2. Ima cry if something bad happens to my favorite character.

Who's your favorite character?

Started this today. Yep - this is good, this is real good!

So I finished the prologue and just started chapter 1. Monokuma just told me how to
open the bathroom door.
I’m already getting sucked in just like I did with 999, and just like 999 hours go by like minutes when playing. I’m also loving a lot of the characters so far. Aoi, Mondo and Junko FTW! Beyond some appearances they seem grounded in reality and are thinking and behaving logically, which is a big plus. Dialogue wise it’s been superb too. I actually LOL’d out loud when Mondo said something like “What? Stop acting like such an idiot fatty!” to Hifumi. It was just so blunt and absurd!

But yeah, I’m completely and utterly sucked in! At the moment it’s too early for me to be suspicious of any characters, although
Chihiro being the ultimate programmer raises alarm bells since it means she could be the one behind actually making Monokuma
......but I will say that I’ve got a sneaking suspicion that the overall story is going to be similar to 999. BIG 999 SPOILERS:
By that I mean that this is maybe an alternate reality? A different timeline maybe?
Please don’t comment on my theories by the way. Only negative so far? The voice acting so far has been great - I just want more of it! : (

Acid08

Banned
Ch. 5 END

MAN this shit was fucked. They do a really good job of making you feel totally out of control during this chapter. Everything happens so quickly and it was hard to even take in all the revelations they were throwing at you.

First off the assertion that this is being broadcast across the world is pretty bonkers but I don't really believe it. The trial was all kinds of fucked up, I was straight up pissed off that Kyoko was being such as ass at the beginning. Because of this I ended up exposing her lie and seeing all that stuff. The story picture you get was both gross and hilarious. And I'm mad that the others think I'm a murderer now. Hopefully Kyoko explained what's really going on to them.

But yeah now I'm in a garbage heap with Kyoko and it's very romantic and oh you're the Ultimate Detective? Yeah, no shit. I got spoiled that she was the daughter of *someone* a while back so when that reveal happened I wasn't too surprised. Figured it would be either the headmaster or mastermind.

Hiro has to be the mastermind. I'm inferring this from 1. Him acting too stupid for it to not be an act and 2. When I mentioned him being stupid in this thread I got a "hehehehehehhe" response.

I would keep playing if my eyes weren't shutting more by the second but I'm definitely going to finish tomorrow.

Jinto

Just finished Ch 3.

Yeah, this chapter was pretty obvious. Once money was used a motivation, I had my suspicions of who would be the one to commit murder, and then when it started playing out, it was easy to figure what was going on. Although her "dream" of being in a castle with vampire bodyguards sorta came out of nowhere. lol The ending to the chapter though, damn.

It's the most I've been addicted to a game in a long while.

ys45

Started this game on Friday I'm already at chapter 3 I also went to bed super late because i could not put the game down (I was in the middle of the second trial !) .

First time I play this kind of game and It won't be the last , game is ssssooo good .

I Can't be the only one to like Monokuma ?

DaBoss

I finished the game, it was really good. I really liked it. Though it was really messed up, way beyond Zero Escape messed up. Like holy shit. The motive/reasoning for it all. God damn.

But.....

I just also finished reading Danganronpa Zero (prequel novel) and that is messed up even more than the game. People should definitely read it. There are fantranslations available online.

DaBoss

I'm now watching the DR anime lol. It seems to be a pretty good adaptation of the game 3 episodes in (which covers the prologue and the first chapter). I prefer the game though, but it is nice to see in anime form.

Sorian

Banned
I'm now watching the DR anime lol. It seems to be a pretty good adaptation of the game 3 episodes in (which covers the prologue and the first chapter). I prefer the game though, but it is nice to see in anime form.

It gets more and more rushed as you get more episodes in, I thought it started pretty good too.

LX_Theo

Banned
I purposely didn't say, as not to be unintentionally spoiled, but it has been
Kyoko
since the very beginning.

Well, I was going to post this image as a response regardless of character...

image.php

BernkastelWitch

Neo Member
I really need to get back into playing DanganRonpa. I stopped at Chapter 2 but so far I am really liking it.

It's a game that made me happy I own a Vita for. So far I am liking all the characters so far and I can't wait for the second game.

Top Bottom