• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Spoiler Thread - Farewell, spoiler tags of despair!

PK Gaming

I don't know about IF or Zero since I have avoided them for now, but she kinda is a villain.

Yes, but not the "ultimate" villain

I'm not denying that she was a bad guy or whatever, but the game purposely makes her out to be the big bad, so when you find out that she was just another pawn in Junko's game, it's kind of... sad.

FluxWaveZ

Yes, but not the "ultimate" villain

I'm not denying that she was a bad guy or whatever, but the game purposely makes her out to be the big bad, so when you find out that she was just another pawn in Junko's game, it's kind of... sad.

Non-mastermind Junko was one of my favorite characters, at least at the start, but she was just as responsible for the characters' predicament initially than Junko was. No pity!

Man, the 8-bit music that plays at the start of every execution is really creepy to me. Heck, the execution music in general is super-creepy...

Just out of curiosity, what was everyone's favourite execution in the game?

Man, the 8-bit music that plays at the start of every execution is really creepy to me. Heck, the execution music in general is super-creepy...

Leon's without a doubt. Really sets up the tone well and is definitely brutal.

pariah164

The Versailles Witch Burning, AKA Celeste's. I though it would be played straight, and then Monokuma just. Ruined it utterly. It made me laugh, even though it killed my favorite character.

FluxWaveZ

The first one, and I was kind of disappointed that the others didn't follow suit. Leon's terrified expressions while he's looking at everyone staring at him, and then getting grabbed by the neck and pulled and chained to the execution area... Then what the execution involves is brutal and totally fits with his Ultimate ability, which all ends with the horrified expression of everyone who witnessed it.

The whole thing was well 'executed'. I saw a video posted earlier that I think was concept footage for that execution? Looked far more brutal with each baseball making Leon spit out blood, and changing the blood color from pink to red makes things seem way more violent than I would have thought.

My second favorite is probably Makoto's because of the special execution music he gets and his expression while it's going on.

Leon's without a doubt. Really sets up the tone well and is definitely brutal.

Yeah, Leon's was friggin' spooky. I really wish that the rest of the executions had lead-ins similar to his, 'cause the iron collar pulling him through the halls as he clawed at it ratcheted the tension who a whole new level. The. The actual execution starts, the music plays that creepy "start-up" sound, and he meets his makes. The music sting that plays as the final bloody baseball rolls away from his broken, twisted corpse (seriously, one of his arms was bent the wrong way :S) caps off the whole shebang percectly too.

Actually, on second thought, Leon's might be my favourite too ^_^;

As far as brutal goes, Leon's is definitely #1, but Mondo's is much more horrifying when you think about it. If I were to include unused executions into this my favorite would be Naegi's though
tumblr_n197w5mgMD1qhhv13o1_500.jpg

Still, my true favorites are in 2 but I'll stay quiet about that :x

Non-mastermind Junko was one of my favorite characters, at least at the start, but she was just as responsible for the characters' predicament initially than Junko was. No pity!

Well, it's true that she's not exactly innocent, but in the end even that still boils down to "FUCK YOU JUNKO" more than anything

Kirigiri's father.

You first see it, you think nothing of it, but it comes back in a big way when you find the box of bones and you realize what had happen and you actually saw it too.

Definitely gives you the feeling of oh....: [

As far as brutal goes, Leon's is definitely #1, but Mondo's is much more horrifying when you think about it.

Yeah, even though it's slightly mitigated by the "Mondo Butter" gag at the end, when you stop and realize that Mondo basically got crushed into paste at the finale of his execution, it really hammers home how sadistic the whole thing was.

LiK

Yeah, even though it's slightly mitigated by the "Mondo Butter" gag at the end, when you stop and realize that Mondo basically got crushed into paste at the finale of his execution, it really hammers home how sadistic the whole thing was.

Yup, it was kinda disgusting. Leon was shocking but thinking of Mondo is just gross. Celeste got it good compared to them.

It's just disturbing that they were all friends and now they're killing each other.

Levito

Banned
So can we all agree that Monokuma is basically a really adorable version of The Joker?

Seriously, one of the best villains in a videogame ever.

So can we all agree that Monokuma is basically a really adorable version of The Joker?

I swear, the phrase "LET'S GIVE IT EVERYTHING WE'VE GOT!" is going to become a regular part of my vocabulary thanks to this game.

Oh if we're going for the unused executions, always gotta give a vote for Ishimaru's. It definitely more tamed compared to everyone's else but I like the simplicity of it and being actually animated by fans definitely helped.

SDR2 related:
I also like Chihiro's if only because it's a precursor for someone's else execution in the second game.

Pff, Jason Staham just plays tough guys in movies. I'd pound him into Jason Butter faster than you can say "Upupupupupu~"

I thinky favourite references in the game are the Shawshank quote that was said pretty early on (the film's famous line is astonishingly appropriate for the scenario of the game) and the Pokémon reference Monokuma made at one point.

PK Gaming

It's the only one that made me feel true despair. Watching that execution play out for the first time was excruciating. The music, the rhythmic pounding, the agonizing wait until death ... everything about that execution was just perfect. Seeing the calm and cool Kyoko freak the fuck out was one of the most heartbreaking things i've ever experienced in a video game. All the while having Monokuma juxtapose the whole thing with his hilarious after school lesson.

FluxWaveZ

It's the only one that made me feel true despair. Watching that execution play out for the first time was excruciating. The music, the rhythmic pounding, the agonizing wait until death ... everything about that execution was just perfect. Seeing the calm and cool Kyoko freak the fuck out was one of the most heartbreaking things i've ever experienced in a video game. All the while having Monokuma juxtapose the whole thing with his hilarious after school lesson.

It interesting how Makoto seems more calm and determined when he's going through it, though I guess he's sweating profusely.

kewlmyc

It's just disturbing that they were all friends and now they're killing each other.
That's the worst part. Take any good group of friends, fiction and non-fiction, and this could easily happen to them if they we're put in these circumstances. Like imagine the P3/P4 crew or your real friends thrown into Hope's Despair's Academy with no memories of each other and forced to kill. It's chilling due to this reason, even moreso than the Zero Escape series since those characters were mostly strangers.

LiK

Speaking of the 8-bit execution intro. I loved that Junko happily walked along instead of being dragged. She was also kinda cute right before she was crushed. So sad that she's so evil.

LProtag

Yay! I can finally join this thread!

I managed to figure out some of the big reveals before they happened, so I'm kinda proud of myself for that.

But now I need more answers. Where do I go next besides waiting for the 2nd game?

FluxWaveZ

Speaking of the 8-bit execution intro. I loved that Junko happily walked along instead of being dragged. She was also kinda cute right before she was crushed. So sad that she's so evil.

It's interesting that, because of which side Monokuma walks from in that intro, he goes to meet Junko on his "despair" side and walks out with her on his "hope" side, which was the opposite for everyone else.

Yay! I can finally join this thread!

I managed to figure out some of the big reveals before they happened, so I'm kinda proud of myself for that.

But now I need more answers. Where do I go next besides waiting for the 2nd game?

You could read the Danganronpa Zero novel, but only the first volume of the 2 have been translated.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think this sums up my thoughts. I got the good ending first & actually was confused, thinking I got the bad ending. I was flat-out freaked out, seeing Makoto changing facial expressions. Even worse, they can't see it due to being backwards, only hearing as it gets louder & louder, unsure how close they are to their death, which just adds to the fear.

the bone crunch at the end of kirigiri's is what seals it as the most impactful for me
This, too.

LiK

It's interesting that, because of which side Monokuma walks from in that intro, he goes to meet Junko on his "despair" side and walks out with her on his "hope" side, which was the opposite for everyone else.

Aw snap, such a nice detail.

Levito

Banned
Shawshank is one of my favourite movies, so I'm kinda ashamed I missed the reference.

I feel you man. I almost restarted by Vita because I felt so bad about exposing her.

Thankfully I waited it out, that hilarious picture of Hina holding the rest of the crew's kids.

This game is so good evoking those feels, then on a dime making you laugh

I have a soft spot for Kyoko's, because I derive a kind of perverse enjoyment from watching her composure and complexion gradually break down as her desk approaches its final destination. Not entirely sure why, since I liked her as a character.

Celeste's is probably the runner-up, largely by virtue of having Celeste in it, though I admit I was gutted when the fire truck dealt the finishing blow. Would've much rather seen her gradually being burnt alive, a twisted howl of agony on her face, her elegant facade melting away like her blackened, bubbling skin... she was my favourite character, what's wrong with me?

pariah164

I have a soft spot for Kyoko's, because I derive a kind of perverse enjoyment from watching her composure and complexion gradually break down as her desk approaches its final destination. Not entirely sure why, since I liked her as a character.

Celeste's is probably the runner-up, largely by virtue of having Celeste in it, though I admit I was gutted when the fire truck dealt the finishing blow. Would've much rather seen her gradually being burnt alive, a twisted howl of agony on her face, her elegant facade melting away like her blackened, bubbling skin... she was my favourite character, what's wrong with me?
Well,t he whole thing was she wanted a graceful death, and probably would have kept her composure as she was burned alive. Monokuma even took her death wish away from her with the fire truck thing.

PK Gaming

Agreed

I really can't emphasize how much of a good villain Junko is. The game designers didn't pull any punches with her; she's the kind of character I love to hate. A character that's so vile, so repugnant so incomprehensibly evil, there is practically no word in the english language that describes how awful Junko is. I thought I had seen the face of true evil when I finished reading Monster, but Junko makes Johan Liebert look like Bowser by comparison.

I figured that the mastermind would be a seriously screwed up individual but I wasn't expecting... this:

They really knocked her character out of the park.

Shawshank is one of my favourite movies, so I'm kinda ashamed I missed the reference.

It's during the investigation of the first murder. Hifumi (I think) quotes the famous "get busy livin' or get busy dyin'" line, and then begins to prattle on about Rita Haysworth before Makoto shuts him up.

Levito

Banned
I think the only thing I didn't like about Junko was the explanation as to why she was so vile. Never really a fan of "I was born evil so therefore I'm the most evilest" kind of villain.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I think the only thing I didn't like about Junko was the explanation as to why she was so vile. Never really a fan of "I was born evil so therefore I'm the most evilest" kind of villain.

That and the bit with their memories are definitely the weakest parts of the story.

Well,t he whole thing was she wanted a graceful death, and probably would have kept her composure as she was burned alive. Monokuma even took her death wish away from her with the fire truck thing.
I'm not sure how possible it is to keep your composure while on fire / being burned to death, but I suppose if anyone could do it Celeste could. I really should check out the manga if it adds to her execution as ScraftyDevil said.

Top Bottom