• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Spoiler Thread - Farewell, spoiler tags of despair!

So I heard that a lot of the people that read the Something Awful fan translation hate the NIS America translation. Is there a good reason for this?

I'm gonna go ahead and guess "it's different" as the reason for it just like how some people went crazy over the psp fantranslation too

Levito

Banned
I'm gonna go ahead and guess "it's different" as the reason for it just like how some people went crazy over the psp fantranslation too

Figured, from what I understand this franchise actually has a pretty vile and petty fanbase.

For sure. I can get that, although I'd still say that Junko ultimately showed a lot more than she told.

She didn't explain things like how the world ended, which is good cause by the end of the game it's really up to you if it did or not. Ultimately whether that was a lie or not doesn't matter, the characters would face either world in a new light.

Not much of a fan of how they didn't explain how the lost their memories though. That was like some Damon Lindelof level stuff. haha

PK Gaming

I really wouldn't say Leon 'deserved it the least'. It stopped being 'self-defense' and started being real, actual murder when Sayaka retreated into the bathroom. He could have stopped at any point from thereon, or knocked on someone's door to report what just happened or whatever, and he didn't. Kyoko points out as much, so as sorry as I am for him being unfortunate enough to be put in that situation in the first place, yeah, that's about as far as my sympathy goes.

Yeah I feel the same way. Celeste's putdown was glorious:

BUp0gck.jpg

I wasn't a fan of how the manga retconned his character and turned him into a sympathetic villain. It flies in the face of the original game, imo.

Figured, from what I understand this franchise actually has a pretty vile and petty fanbase.

She didn't explain things like how the world ended, which is good cause by the end of the game it's really up to you if it did or not. Ultimately whether that was a lie or not doesn't matter, the characters would face either world in a new light.

Not much of a fan of how they didn't explain how the lost their memories though. That was like some Damon Lindelof level stuff. haha

Honestly, it feels like an inmense breath of fresh air being able to discuss the game here =__=

And well, the memories thing is briefly mentioned in If and detailed in Zero.

Levito

Banned
So would you guys say that this is one of the funniest games ever made? For me, it's the funniest game ever made.

Like I said in my review, there are very few games that are genuinely trying to be funny--and succeed. Usually when a game makes you laugh it's because it's janky IE: Oblivion.

I'll also imagine that people weren't too happy over the localization itself due to all the added references and such. Cause it's change and people don't like change.

Yeah I feel the same way. Celeste's putdown was glorious:

The manga makes him the most sympathetic murderer though (it changes the murder from Leon stabbing Sakaya to Sakaya accidentally stabbing herself), so I get the impression that we're supposed to feel at least a bit sorry for him.

Ingame though, Mondo is the most sympathetic since the murder was caused by a "moment of weakness" rather than malicious intent or premeditation, and is acknowledged by Mondo as unforgiveable. He still covers up his crime, but that was more to keep his promise to Chihiro rather than for selfish reasons.

PK Gaming

So would you guys say that this is one of the funniest games ever made? For me, it's the funniest game ever made.

Like I said in my review, there are very few games that are genuinely trying to be funny--and succeed. Usually when a game makes you laugh it's because it's janky IE: Oblivion.

I took 1.5k pictures, and I can honestly say that good majority of them were hilarious
The manga makes him the most sympathetic murderer though (it changes the murder from Leon stabbing Sakaya to Sakaya accidentally stabbing herself), so I get the impression that we're supposed to feel at least a bit sorry for him.

Yeah, I wasn't really a fan of that decision

The whole thing just felt... off. Though more scenes consisting of Sayaka being a scumbag was fun

LAA

Just beat this last night.
What are peoples thoughts on it compared to say Virtues Last Reward (Which I adore with all my heart)

In the end I felt it was more similar to Ace Attorney than the likes of Virtue's Last Reward, overall I'd say it was "Good" compared to VLR which was "Great"

What I did like in this though was the ability to "free roam" around the school, though sadly there isn't much use in it, its only for getting from Point A-B, which can just teleport closer anyway, but it was cool to actually explore the environment in 3D.

As this is a spoiler thread, guess its OK to ask this, but in the "Monokuma Theater", whats the deal with that "Sakuras Revenge", was that supposed to be a joke?

Ingame though, Mondo is the most sympathetic since the murder was caused by a "moment of weakness" rather than malicious intent or premeditation, and is acknowledged by Mondo as unforgiveable. He still covers up his crime, but that was more to keep his promise to Chihiro rather than for selfish reasons.

I agree that Mondo is definitely one of the more sympathetic murderers in this game. You can tell since he doesn't even fight back once he knows they figured him out.

He doesn't even really cover up his crime that much anyway especially since he didn't notice Togami saw him afterwards.

Moonlight

Banned
Wait, so, in the manga, if Sayaka stabs herself, why is Leon still considered the murderer? o_O

I find it hard to disagree.

Guys, I finished the game last night but I don't get this School Life stuff at all. Can I just go back to investigating murders? Heh. But seriously, anyone have some tips they can give me about this shizz?

pariah164

Guys, I finished the game last night but I don't get this School Life stuff at all. Can I just go back to investigating murders? Heh. But seriously, anyone have some tips they can give me about this shizz?
TOOLS. Seriously, build them. They make the playthrough so much easier.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Here are my tips from earlier in the thread:

Yeah, you should probably focus on leveling and fillout the report cards on the first playthrough. If I had known before starting School Mode, I would have done this approach.

There are two relationship "gauges". One is the Report Card and the other is a heart meter. You can check the heart meter by talking to Monokuma. The Report Card only grows when you spend time and give gifts. The heart meter only grows when you spend Trip Tickets, give good answers, and successfully perform the Trigger Happy Heart.

Keep in mind that there are two consumables that permanently increase stats. Focus on farming items to make these two consumables, fill out your Report Card, and level up your characters on your first playthrough. Ignore Monokuma's requests.

On your second playthrough, you'll have more freedom to pursue relationships. You can max out five relationships per playthrough at most.

I believe you only have to complete the FINAL Monokuma request to "complete" School Mode, but I haven't confirmed this. But you'll need to complete the others to have enough Trip tickets to get five relationships maxed anyway. You must "complete" School Mode to get any of the endings and the 200 coins. To get a specific character's ending, you'll need to have both the Report Card and heart meter maxed and "complete" School Mode.

There is no why! They're a reward in and of themselves.

Another couple of tips: On the first playthrough, you may want dedicated Cleaners so that they level up faster. Keep in mind that the searching activities on the far right side consume more HP. And do NOT ignore the Tools on your second playthrough. They effectively increase your productivity and efficiency throughout the entire playthrough, so if you get enough materials for the Monokuma request, focus on getting the Tools until the next request. You do NOT get any additional bonuses/tickets for completing more than one copy of a Monokuma request.

Moonlight

Banned
Is there any actual point to doing all of Monokuma's requests? Besides the True End one, I mean.

EDIT: And is it just me or are boys a lot harder to get anything but 'pretty good' out of during the trips?

LiK

Is there any actual point to doing all of Monokuma's requests? Besides the True End one, I mean.

EDIT: And is it just me or are boys a lot harder to get anything but 'pretty good' out of during the trips?
I'm playing it for the trophy lol. I want dat Platinum.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, I noticed some trips will only result in "pretty good", or +1/2 heart, while others have a "really good" option, or +1 heart. Seems to be rather random at times, especially if I go back to the main menu & start up where I last saved.

Also, Aoi's is really weird. Select the option where you mention she gained weight, really great time! Select how much she likes donuts, NOPE she didn't have fun!

So I heard that a lot of the people that read the Something Awful fan translation hate the NIS America translation. Is there a good reason for this?

It's mostly fighting over semantics of the script, with key terms really being fought over.

Translating Super Duper High School [blank] to Ultimate [blank],

Monokuma uses "Blackened" for the killer in NIS translation. Which I just shurg at really if you ask me, it makes a lot sense since it's a term for a killer, even if a rarely used term. And is referring to Japanese version where Monokuma calls the killer "the black"

And then there is Genocide Syo being translated as Genocide Jack/Jill. Though this one I do agree with, since the reference would pretty much go over anyone's head that's not Japanese.

Hifumi's title being changed from Dojin to Fanfic Creator

Mind you I liked NIS America's translation and found to be very well written, excusing a few lines here and there that came off as awkward. Mostly that line in final trial where Makoto say "I will not despair". But even then it's like what a couple of lines out of a thousands of lines in the game.

It's more of silly arguing over tiny changes than anything.

Past

Without spoiling it, what makes the 2nd game better than the 1st? I heard a lot people say that the 2nd one is way better.

Clov

Without spoiling it, what makes the 2nd game better than the 1st? I heard a lot people say that the 2nd one is way better.

The characters are better, the twists are better, the soundtrack is better, and the gameplay is more varied.

Levito

Banned
Monokuma uses "Blackened" for the killer in NIS translation. Which I just shurg at really if you ask me, it makes a lot sense since it's a term for a killer, even if a rarely used term. And is referring to Japanese version where Monokuma calls the killer "the black".

Ummm... Is it just me, or isn't is painfully obvious as to why they would've changed that to "Blackened".

Thanks for the insight though, seems like the pretty statndard translation gripes.

Characters are more rounded and less one dimensional, the mysteries are better and the plot is more coo coo crazy.

Just finished the game yesterday.

I don't always play VN games, but when I do, I marathon.

It was pretty fun. The story was silly and predictable, but the debates were okay if sometimes a little obtuse.

Way more to do in Story Mode than I expected. Thought I would just blow through it pretty quickly and collect a platinum.

Clov

Ummm... Is it just me, or isn't is painfully obvious as to why they would've changed that to "Blackened".

Thanks for the insight though, seems like the pretty statndard translation gripes.

To be fair, I can really understand this one. While yes, there's the whole shiro(white)/kuro (black) thing for innocent and guilty, "the blackened" seems a bit too literal and awkward. I really would have preferred "the culprit", it just makes more sense.

789shadow

Banned
  • Better protagonist
  • More interesting characters
  • Characters are more useful in trials
  • Cases are more difficult and interesting from the get go
  • Better soundtrack (even if most tracks are the same/remixes)
  • Bigger and much much more varied environment

For one thing the game play during the trials is a lot better, the first trial shows this with it being a decent lengthy trial and not as obvious to who's the killer. And having new game play elements for the trials....
Various new gameplay elements have been added to the Class Trial. Rebuttal Showdowns take place when a student attempts to refute the player's logic. In these sections, players must slash apart their opponent's argument to gain dominance in the conversation and reveal new information, before using a "Truth Sword" to strike through the correct weak point when it appears. Logical Dive is a snowboarding minigame, in which players steer down a logical tube whilst avoiding pitfalls, occasionally requiring to choose between multiple routes based on a question given, in order to arrive at a logical conclusion. Finally, Spot Select requires players to examine an image and indicate an important spot.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So the sequel adds, in addition to bullets that shoot the truth, a sword that can slice a weak point in an argument and finding logic by snowboarding.

Yeah, I cannot wait to play that.

LiK

Just finished the game yesterday.

I don't always play VN games, but when I do, I marathon.

It was pretty fun. The story was silly and predictable, but the debates were okay if sometimes a little obtuse.

Way more to do in Story Mode than I expected. Thought I would just blow through it pretty quickly and collect a platinum.
i hardly slept. This game ruined my weekend productivity XD

Anyone got any cool art of Mondo I can use for an avatar? Gotta rep dat pompadour!

I'll post some of the screenshots I took as soon as they're finished uploading, including the Shawshank reference I mentioned before. Man, I took so friggin' many... -_-;

• They do a better job at developing the characters (this is where they also introduced Island Mode originally)
  • The main protagonist (Hinata) is a lot more cynical and snarky compared to Naegi
  • Spike-Chunsoft go absolutely fucking insane with it. It's seriously 5x more crazier than any trial in DR1. The game is crazy insane from the first trial, and gets even more insane as the game progresses. The first trial in SDR2 will have you with your hands on your head trying to take in what the fuck happened.
  • They improved how the trials work. Including adding more phases such as "Logical Dives" (I think that's what they're called) and Argument Slashing (forgot the specific name). They also improved the current phases like Non-Stop Debate and Bullet Time Battles. You can now agree with peoples statements in Non-Stop Debates instead of always refuting them, which is a cool change.
  • This might be subjective, but the characters are less moronic and are actually more useful during the trials
  • The island setting is a lot more interesting and crazy than you would think.
  • The Three Main protagonists have a really interesting and more involved dynamic than the three protagonists of the first game (Naegi, Kirigiri, Togami).

• They do a better job at developing the characters (this is where they also introduced Island Mode originally)
  • The main protagonist (Hinata) is a lot more cynical and snarky compared to Naegi
  • Spike-Chunsoft go absolutely fucking insane with it. It's seriously 5x more crazier than any trial in DR1
  • They improved how the trials work. Including adding more phases such as "Logical Dives" (I think that's what they're called) and Argument Slashing (forgot the specific name). They also improved the current phases like Non-Stop Debate and Bullet Time Battles. You can now agree with peoples statements in Non-Stop Debates instead of always refuting them, which is a cool change.
  • This might be subjective, but the characters are less moronic and are actually more useful during the trials
  • The Three Main protagonists have a really interesting and more involved dynamic than the three protagonists of the first game (Naegi, Kirigiri, Togami).

I would also add that they pretty much got rid of the First-person walking around for the most part. With a few exceptions.

Past

Wow, DR2 sounds awesome :eek:. Can't wait for it.

The avatar sets that Japan got looks nice. Hopefully NISA will put them up on PSN.
Z0uw1QP.jpg

ldzWEVl.jpg

• Spike-Chunsoft go absolutely fucking insane with it. It's seriously 5x more crazier than any trial in DR1. The game is crazy insane from the first trial, and gets even more insane as the game progresses. The first trial in SDR2 will have you with your hands on your head trying to take in what the fuck happened.

I hope you know this did absolutely nothing to quell my excitement. Just from the description of the gameplay elements, it feels like DR1 was just a tease. Also, that's curious that you consider Togami one of the main protagonists in this game, though; he was actually one of my favorites from early on.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Holy crap, getting the tools in School Mode has made things SOOOO much easier. Aside from one cleaning-related one, getting double the material makes this this mode a lot more tolerable, considering I'm on day 21 & just need to get a ton more tree branches. Maybe I'll actually get some character endings this time (already got Sayaka and Aoi maxed, might get lucky & get 3 or 4 characters done).

From what I understand, there's 4 different School Mode endings? I already got the "you didn't make any of them" one & I'm sure there's one for doing all of them. Any others that I'm missing?

LProtag

I really liked Togami and how his character was handled. There was probably a point in nearly every case where I was like "I think he did it" even though I kept realizing it would be stupid to put so much suspicion on him every time. In the end though, he ended up being a kinda decent person who was just ruthlessly approaching the game in order to defeat it.

I need it!

I was expecting things to be a little crazier by the end of the game, to be honest. I saw most of the big twists coming. I wasn't expecting like, 999/VLR crazyness, but I just wanted a bit more. Sounds like this will deliver!

Autofokus

Can anyone please spoil me the first Hangman's Gambit word ( _ _ H I _ _ ) from Case 2? I know what the game wants from me, but I don't have a clue about the word (english is not my native language).

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Can anyone please spoil me the first Hangman's Gambit word ( _ _ H I _ _ ) from Case 2? I know what the game wants from me, but I don't have a clue about the word (english is not my native language).
Schizo, as in schizophrenia. That one took me a while as well.

Top Bottom