• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Spoiler Thread - Farewell, spoiler tags of despair!

Lusankya

Can anyone please spoil me the first Hangman's Gambit word ( _ _ H I _ _ ) from Case 2? I know what the game wants from me, but I don't have a clue about the word (english is not my native language).

Schizo, although schizophrenia doesn't actually mean a split personality.

pariah164

Schizo, although schizophrenia doesn't actually mean a split personality.
I don't get why they went with that; couldn't they use 'split persona' or something like that, if 'split personality' was too long? I guess since it was chapter 2, they didn't want a really long Hamgman's Gambit.

FluxWaveZ

Byakuya basically underwent through the "Miles Edgeworth" transformation

He was a cool guy after chapter 4

Ha, I wouldn't say it's that similar to Edgeworth's transformation. Edgeworth was Von Karma'd all the way until Wright comes in, while Byakuya still maintains the aura of an asshole the whole way through.

I think he's the way he is consistently throughout the whole game, but we come to understand his underlying motivations a bit more and see that he hides his underlying feelings in an oppressive way.

I don't get why they went with that; couldn't they use 'split persona' or something like that, if 'split personality' was too long? I guess since it was chapter 2, they didn't want a really long Hamgman's Gambit.

I don't remember what I had thought while the Hangman's Gambit was going on, even though it would have worked fine, but I do remember being annoyed with the choice of "schizo."

Autofokus

Schizo, as in schizophrenia. That one took me a while as well.

Thank you very much and fuck me, I'm in the spoiler thread.

z3_1_2dftl6sju0.gif

PK Gaming

Oh don't get me wrong

Byakuya was still a smug motherfucker through and through, and i'm glad the game didn't neuter him as it went along. However, his decision to stop playing the game was kind of a big deal, you know? I likened this change to Edgeworth because he was actually willing to cooperate with the group (ie: go to breakfast, cooperate, etc) instead of being an antagonist. Ala Rise from the Ashes, case 5 from the first Phoenix Wright game.

pariah164

Oh don't get me wrong

Byakuya was still a smug motherfucker through and through, and i'm glad the game didn't neuter him as it went along. However, his decision to stop playing the game was kind of a big deal, you know? I likened this change to Edgeworth because he was actually willing to cooperate with the group (ie: go to breakfast, cooperate, etc) instead of being an antagonist. Ala Rise from the Ashes, case 5 from the first Phoenix Wright game.
Fair enough. Yeah, I can see that. I too am glad he wasn't watered down. It kind of subverted my expectation. 'Oh, he's gonna become a nice guy by the end.' NOPE.

NotLiquid

I really want to get myself an avatar of one of my favorite DR2 characters now that DR2 hype is beginning but I've already started feeling comfortable with the idea of settling on just one recognizable avatar

I'm overcome with despair

I really want to get myself an avatar of one of my favorite DR2 characters now that DR2 hype is beginning but I've already started feeling comfortable with the idea of settling on just one recognizable avatar

I'm overcome with despair

By the time SDR2 comes out, I'm sure everyone will recognize you by that avatar if you stick with it till then.

PK Gaming

tumblr_mlq3b9Qg6f1ruhjpfo1_500.png

If I went through my early 2013 Reblogs shortly before beating DR, I would have been fucked.

Anyway, that's the last of the DR art I managed reblogged. I can't look for more (for obvious reasons) which really sucks. Fall can't come quick enough...!

Everyone's favorite feep!

Sometimes I really wish I could break into the voice acting scene with all of my theatre experience, but the VA market in Canada ain't too hot right now ^_^;

feep did a great job, though. I was really impressed by how much he nailed the timbre and tone required for the character to work.

Feep

Banned
At the very least, Byakuya has one of my favourite "smug" voices of all time. It was a GAFer who did his voice, wasn't it?
It's basically my normal voice; I'm a huge asshole in real life

Wait this is the spoiler thread

I need to get the hell out of here

Noi

Not being able to use Junko's best portraits cause of spoilers is frustrating. I'll wait for DR2 to come out proper before I consider it.

Although that's not stopping someone who hasn't beaten the game from doing so.
KuGsj.gif

PK Gaming

They didn't redeem him or soften him. He started as a piece of shit and continues to be a piece of shit.

Edgeworth changed.

Him being a piece of shit was never in dispute, but don't act like he didn't change at all. His decision to step out of the game in chapter 4 was the turning point for his character. It wasn't a sudden shift, but the little things the followed (Showing up at breakfast, cooperating during the investigations, his demeanor during the epilogue) show that there was a conscious decision to redeem him as a character.

Didn't Erin Fitzgerald voice her?

If so, yeah she's from Victoria BC. Though she lives in LA now.

It wasn't her.

We know for sure that it wasn't Deby Derryberry (it sounds just like her, augh)

Apparently it was a Canadian actress

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Him being a piece of shit was never in dispute, but don't act like he didn't change at all. His decision to step out of the game in chapter 4 was the turning point for his character. It wasn't a sudden shift, but the little things the followed (Showing up at breakfast, cooperating during the investigations, his demeanor during the epilogue) show that there was a conscious decision to redeem him as a character.

It's not really character redemption to me. He is as harsh at the end as he is in the beginning, and his motivations never change. He doesn't really learn much of anything. His appearances are a plot device more than it serves to actually change your perception of him as a character.

It's not really like Edgeworth to me.

I still find it amazing that even though Feep voices Togami he's still apparently relatively unspoiled

I imagine they might have not had everyone voice their lines together so it's not like they would know who lives or dies. And it'll probably be hard to voice together what's going on if you only have your lines to read.

I imagine the only real spoiler is that Togami somehow doesn't die despite being a prick.

Feep

Banned
I imagine they might have not had everyone voice their lines together so it's not like they would know who lives or dies. And it'll probably be hard to voice together what's going on if you only have your lines to read.

I imagine the only real spoiler is that Togami somehow doesn't die despite being a prick.
Literally the only recollection I have is that at some point I switched two vials of something, and the big spoiler at the end of the world being fucked. Very little was in context and I had no idea what the other characters were saying.

However, at this point, the investigation phase of Chapter 3, I probably would have already known the outside world was fucked due to the massive number of clues Monokuma is dropping. So I really have no idea beyond that.

Should REALLY get out this thread.

Oh I know, I just say that because of Togami being a major character that lives which I assume means that he'd at least get a little of everything spoiled.

I wonder how much of SDR2 he knows

pariah164

Literally the only recollection I have is that at some point I switched two vials of something, and the big spoiler at the end of the world being fucked. Very little was in context and I had no idea what the other characters were saying.

However, at this point, the investigation phase of Chapter 3, I probably would have already known the outside world was fucked due to the massive number of clues Monokuma is dropping. So I really have no idea beyond that.

Should REALLY get out this thread.
I tip my hat to you, sir. Amazing job on Byakuya.

PK Gaming

It's not really character redemption to me. He is as harsh at the end as he is in the beginning, and his motivations never change. He doesn't really learn much of anything. His appearances are a plot device more than it serves to actually change your perception of him as a character.

It's not really like Edgeworth to me.

No, that's wrong

It should go without saying that the old Byakuya would never utter those words. His character arc is about (slowly) understanding the feelings of the people around him. Perhaps "redeem" is too strong of a word, but he definitely stops acting like an acerbic loner by the end of the game. It's clear as day during the final trial, where his cooperation (both in and outside of the trial) as at an all time high. I would argue that his motivations make a complete change, given what happened to his family (he went from wanting to rule the world to trying to restore his family's legacy) but it's ambiguous. We'll have to wait until SDR2 to settle that matter.

I'll admit that the Edgeworth comparison was tenuous, but I wasn't all that serious about it. There's no doubt in mind that there IS a change in his character.

kewlmyc

Not being able to use Junko's best portraits cause of spoilers is frustrating. I'll wait for DR2 to come out proper before I consider it.

Although that's not stopping someone who hasn't beaten the game from doing so.
KuGsj.gif

Eh, we'll probably tell him to change it when he eventually comes to this thread. Unless he does it himself.

Noi

Eh, we'll probably tell him to change it when he eventually comes to this thread. Unless he does it himself.

Yeah, the worst part is that pointing out the spoiler would just let the person know that it's a spoiler to begin with. The realization will be fun enough to watch.

LX_Theo

Banned
No, that's wrong

It should go without saying that the old Byakuya would never utter those words. His character arc is about (slowly) understanding the feelings of the people around him. Perhaps "redeem" is too strong of a word, but he definitely stops acting like an acerbic loner by the end of the game. It's clear as day during the final trial, where his cooperation (both in and outside of the trial) as at an all time high. I would argue that his motivations make a complete change, given what happened to his family (he went from wanting to rule the world to trying to restore his family's legacy) but it's ambiguous. We'll have to wait until SDR2 to settle that matter.

I'll admit that the Edgeworth comparison was tenuous, but I wasn't all that serious about it. There's no doubt in mind that there IS a change in his character.

Did you do his report card? I'd say that the report card at least makes both the ending and the idea of him not changing quite consistent.

Top Bottom