• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Spoiler Thread - Farewell, spoiler tags of despair!

NotLiquid

Yeah, the worst part is that pointing out the spoiler would just let the person know that it's a spoiler to begin with. The realization will be fun enough to watch.

I hope I don't get lynched for admitting this but one of my first avatars on GAF was a close-up of Junko's face when she's pressing the red button.

I reasoned that Dangan Ronpa was still incredibly obscure at the time and that due to the kind of game it is and how much work would have to go into it it'd never get localized. Plus the close-up was really vague to which character it was and lacked context completely.

I hope no oldbies with good memories getting into Dangan Ronpa hold it against me.

Who're you guys talking about?

Inorigo.

Zephyx

At the beginning he was 100% asshole.

Now he's just like 75% asshole.

Haha! Regardless of the percentage, he's still an asshole either way.
Hope he dies in the sequel.

He becomes less of a prick and more a tsundere.

Agreed. I'm glad this game doesn't have a full on tsundere on the girls side though (unless you consider Kyoko to be a tsundere). Definitely a breath of fresh air.

PK Gaming

Did you do his report card? I'd say that the report card at least makes both the ending and the idea of him not changing quite consistent.

I went through half of it, but my brother told me the general gist of it.

I don't think it's particularly relevant to the this discussion, since it can be completed early on, and it doesn't reflect the change he underwent post=chapter 4. In fact, i'd argue that his report card clearly shows a clear contrast between his earlier self, and endgame self. (Doesn't it end with him telling Makoto to gtfo?)

I never tried to argue that he changed significantly but there IS a change, however small.

Honestly, I think that avatar is acceptable since nothing about it screams spoiler unless you actually point it out. Were it much more obviously mastermind Junko in the avatar it'd be another thing.

Noi

I hope I don't get lynched for admitting this but one of my first avatars on GAF was a close-up of Junko's face when she's pressing the red button.

I reasoned that Dangan Ronpa was still incredibly obscure at the time and that due to the kind of game it is and how much work would have to go into it it'd never get localized. Plus the close-up was really vague to which character it was and lacked context completely.

I hope no oldbies with good memories getting into Dangan Ronpa hold it against me.

Hah, I'd posted earlier about how I'd seen that particular shot of Junko before I even knew what Danganronpa was and only recognized both her and that particular shot once I saw it in-game. I can agree that, without any knowledge of the character or context to it, that particular shot doesn't tell you much. Generic crazy girl.jpeg

LProtag

A bit off topic of a question, but I figure this is the place to ask it as I'm likely to catch the attention of people more experienced in VNs:

I've played the Ace Attorney games, Zero Escape, and now this. Where should I go next with VNs in this sort of vein? I'm looking for more crazy twists and offbeat premises along with slightly more involved gameplay (compared to a straight-up dialogue choice VN). I've heard good things about Steins;Gate and that it's coming out in English soon, but that's obviously not a choice at the moment.

I've seen people mention Umineko when discussing good VNs, is that a good place to go?

FluxWaveZ

Hah, I'd posted earlier about how I'd seen that particular shot of Junko before I even knew what Danganronpa was and only recognized both her and that particular shot once I saw it in-game. I can agree that, without any knowledge of the character or context to it, that particular shot doesn't tell you much.

Eh, I still think that kind of avatar would be going too far. It's best to be considerate for others going through the game for the first time and not have avatars that could risk spoiling things for them.

DNAbro

• They do a better job at developing the characters (this is where they also introduced Island Mode originally)
  • The main protagonist (Hinata) is a lot more cynical and snarky compared to Naegi
  • Spike-Chunsoft go absolutely fucking insane with it. It's seriously 5x more crazier than any trial in DR1. The game is crazy insane from the first trial, and gets even more insane as the game progresses. The first trial in SDR2 will have you with your hands on your head trying to take in what the fuck happened.
  • They improved how the trials work. Including adding more phases such as "Logical Dives" (I think that's what they're called) and Argument Slashing (forgot the specific name). They also improved the current phases like Non-Stop Debate and Bullet Time Battles. You can now agree with peoples statements in Non-Stop Debates instead of always refuting them, which is a cool change.
  • This might be subjective, but the characters are less moronic and are actually more useful during the trials
  • The island setting is a lot more interesting and crazy than you would think.
  • The Three Main protagonists have a really interesting and more involved dynamic than the three protagonists of the first game (Naegi, Kirigiri, Togami).

the sound of that is just.....just...
1NcjwFz.gif

my body can't handle the wait.

A bit off topic of a question, but I figure this is the place to ask it as I'm likely to catch the attention of people more experienced in VNs:

I've played the Ace Attorney games, Zero Escape, and now this. Where should I go next with VNs in this sort of vein? I'm looking for more crazy twists and offbeat premises along with slightly more involved gameplay (compared to a straight-up dialogue choice VN). I've heard good things about Steins;Gate and that it's coming out in English soon, but that's obviously not a choice at the moment.

I've seen people mention Umineko when discussing good VNs, is that a good place to go?

Well, I'm not VN expert, but if you don't mind it not having any gameplay at all I don't see why Umineko would be a bad choice.

Noi

Umineko is a straight up sound novel, but it has all the crazy murder mystery twists along the veins of Danganronpa, Zero Escape, et all. It's like a straight VN with no gameplay though, not even dialogue choices. Very worthwhile roller coaster of a VN if you're willing to saddle up all the way through though. (Whether you play with the original art or the PS3-sprite mods is entirely up to you)

Ever17 is the premiere Uchikoshi (Zero Escape) title, from which elements were definitely borrowed for Virtue's Last Reward. It can take a while to get going because of its format (traditional pick a waifu gameplay), but I'd argue that it still has some of the best twists in the genre.

Eh, I still think that kind of avatar would be going too far. It's best to be considerate for others going through the game for the first time and not have avatars that could risk spoiling things for them.

Oh yeah, I definitely agree that I'd rather not risk it with that type of avatar, specially now that the game is out and people are actively playing it. I'm just mentioning my particular circumstance with that shot of Junko.

LProtag

Umineko is a straight up sound novel, but it has all the crazy murder mystery twists along the veins of Danganronpa, Zero Escape, et all. It's like a straight VN with no gameplay though, not even dialogue choices. Very worthwhile roller coaster of a VN if you're willing to saddle up all the way through though. (Whether you play with the original art or the PS3-sprite mods is entirely up to you)

Ever17 is the premiere Uchikoshi (Zero Escape) title, from which elements were definitely borrowed for Virtue's Last Reward. It can take a while to get going because of its format (traditional pick a waifu gameplay), but I'd argue that it still has some of the best twists in the genre.

I think I'm okay with a lack of gameplay if it's a great story, those were just kinda the sort of things I was looking for in what I want to play. Story and premise are good enough for me, gameplay is just a nice addition.

I've gotten Ever17 spoiled for me a good deal after playing VLR and running into discussions of it, so I'm not really looking to play it right now. Maybe some day.

Thanks!

Honestly, I think that avatar is acceptable since nothing about it screams spoiler unless you actually point it out. Were it much more obviously mastermind Junko in the avatar it'd be another thing.

Yeah, it's not really much of a spoiler since you don't know its a spoiler until either you already know it or someone points it out to you.

Of course, it was treading really close grounds since someone actually asked about that when the OT first went up, hahaha.

Isn't there a list of skills you get from free-time events?

Use the fantranslation's one.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, it's not really much of a spoiler since you don't know its a spoiler until either you already know it or someone points it out to you.

Of course, it was treading really close grounds since someone actually asked about that when the OT first went up, hahaha.

Yeah, and because of that, I almost got the whole thing spoiled for me if I had spent a few more moments thinking about why the person had posted about the avatar and it stuck with me when I started playing the game.

Yeah, and because of that, I almost got the whole thing spoiled for me if I had spent a few more moments thinking about why the person had posted about the avatar and it stuck with me when I started playing the game.

Well it depends on what part they thought was different.

I think the noticeable thing is that her hairpins are different which could be chalked up to fan artist interpretation or whatever.

The most damning thing about the avatar is that there's no freckles which easily means that is a different character and spoils something much larger. But then, you are basically asking for spoilers if you keep thinking about it.

FluxWaveZ

Well it depends on what part they thought was different.

I think the noticeable thing is that her hairpins are different which could be chalked up to fan artist interpretation or whatever.

The most damning thing about the avatar is that there's no freckles which easily means that is a different character and spoils something much larger. But then, you are basically asking for spoilers if you keep thinking about it.

I saw Inorigo's current avatar while I was playing the game and I didn't think much about it since there's nothing overt about it unless one makes it a point to analyze it completely, which would be kinda odd.

We might be talking about two different cases, though, because there was a user by the name of HeavenSmiley who had pointed out that someone's avatar might contain spoilers (I believe it was Inorigo again) and it was of Junko posing with the crown on her head (an in-game sprite). I saw that comment and told them that pointing it out is in itself a spoiler. If I had then gone on to look at the avatar in question and think about what could be spoilerish about it instead of nixing the whole thing from my thoughts immediately, I would have been pissed after she dies early on.

Yeah, I'm probably remembering wrong.

Cause the most obvious thing to me if someone says the Junko at the start and at the end looks different would be the freckles.

Schizo, although schizophrenia doesn't actually mean a split personality.

I got stuck on this part for about... Like 5 minutes because I couldn't think of something that would mean split personality. When I eventually did figure out it was "shizo" I was confused and surprised as shit. The fan translation might have spoiled me there, since PZ's version they used "D.I.D." instead.

Moonlight

Banned
I'm not entirely sure people are going to pay that much attention to the whole freckles thing. I mean, I never really did. Even when the real Junko revealed herself. It seems to me that could be one of those things that could be equally up to fan artist interpretation, regardless.

I'm not entirely sure people are going to pay that much attention to the whole freckles thing.

Besides, it's quickly brought up and dismissed as "oh it's photoshop" when you meet her which on hindsight is suspicious but it's such a common thing irl that you just go "oh ok makes sense"

Caladrius

I'm not entirely sure people are going to pay that much attention to the whole freckles thing. I mean, I never really did. Even when the real Junko revealed herself. It seems to me that could be one of those things that could be equally up to fan artist interpretation, regardless.

I never noticed the freckles to begin with.

This makes me wonder, what if someone had a Mukuro not-disguised avatar but without any indication that she's a Dangan Ronpa 1 character?

It can be easily chalked up to a character from the sequel or just someone drawn by the same artist.

It's only really a spoiler if you think something's wrong with it. :p

Moonlight

Banned
All this about a Mukuro avatar is good news for me, since I've been seriously gravitating towards using one.

Speaking of, anyone got any decent Mukuro pics? I'd go on Tumblr, but I'm pretty cagey on scouring the tag.

LProtag

Besides, it's quickly brought up and dismissed as "oh it's photoshop" when you meet her which on hindsight is suspicious but it's such a common thing irl that you just go "oh ok makes sense"

I remember when it clicked in my head that they switched I went "GODDAMMIT SHE SAID IT WAS PHOTOSHOP!" and then later on they addressed it, I was like "HA! One step ahead of you."

It was kinda cool being one step ahead of the end of the game, but it prevented my mind from being as blown as it could have been.

It's just that I spent the first 2 free time events with Kuwata since I wanted the skill he gives you at 3, but I guess I should just spend them with whoever.

Yeah, the main plot is pretty unforgiving in giving you enough time to spend with characters before they die or hate you for plot reasons.

LProtag

I am going to stop looking up stuff online as I've already gotten some (hopefully) minor details from the second game spoiled for me.

It's going to be a long wait!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wow, 2nd playthrough of School Mode was MUUUCCHHH easier, especially getting the tools. & was able to get 5 characters' panties farewells. Are those the "school endings" that the trophy is referring to? I only got the one that said I didn't make any of the back-ups.

Also, heh at Chiriho's undergarments being bloomers....& the description for Aoi's saying "the one drawback is that they turn totally see-through if you go swimming in them".

would mark out so hard for a DR fighting game
i don't even know how most characters would fight all i know is that i want it

i think that at one of the fan events the series producers even had a discussion about which character would come out on top in a fight and they decided kyoko would win because she's batman and sakura would come in 2nd

edit: actually i was wrong, quote from orenronen, author of the SA LP (i'll spoiler anything about SDR2 characters because might as well, but there's no actual spoilers):

One thing I can give away here is Kodaka and Kitayama's top 3 strongest characters list (strongest as in "who'd win in a fight"). Kodaka had Sakura first, then Kirigiri (who he thinks of as sort of a Batman-type character who'd win in almost any fights regardless of physical strength),
and then Nidai
. Kitayama also had Sakura first, but then
Souda ("He could build a tank which no one except Oogami could stop") and
Kirigiri.

PK Gaming

Must. Be. A. Real. Thing.

I can imagine Ishimaru's super

"FIGHTING IS NOT WELCOME IN A SCHOOL ENVIRONMENT"

(*he says this, while wailing on the opponent)

would mark out so hard for a DR fighting game
i don't even know how most characters would fight all i know is that i want it

i think that at one of the fan events the series producers even had a discussion about which character would come out on top in a fight and they decided kyoko would win because she's batman and sakura would come in 2nd

+500 Respect gained

FluxWaveZ

It would probably be pretty difficult to design characters for a fighting game given that none of them are fighters aside from Sakura (Genocide Jack would work, too). They'd probably have to go all out using their Ultimate abilities as a template.

Clov

It would probably be pretty difficult to design characters for a fighting game given that none of them are fighters aside from Sakura (Genocide Jack would work, too). They'd probably have to go all out using their Ultimate abilities as a template.

Between the first game and the sequel they definitely can have enough "fighting" type characters to make a small roster.

Top Bottom