• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Spoiler Thread - Farewell, spoiler tags of despair!

It would probably be pretty difficult to design characters for a fighting game given that none of them are fighters aside from Sakura (Genocide Jack would work, too). They'd probably have to go all out using their Ultimate abilities as a template.

I pretty much imagine that's what they would do if they ever do one (please do).

And, it's not really like we had fighters where the characters aren't naturally fighters. Aquapizza had characters that are no where suited for a fight, yet can murder you by leaving dropping a stack of books on you.

Also, Ishida as Final Boss, go, go.

Noi

Sounds like it would either be pretty difficult to design characters for a fighting game given that none of them are fighters aside from Sakura (Genocide Jack would work, too). They'd probably have to go all out using their Ultimate abilities as a template.

Man, if Umineko and Higurashi can exist as fighting games, I'd argue that Danganronpa has enough material to turn it into a fighting game.

Taka could have a power-up super wherein he temporarily transforms into Ishida and gains a massive boost to power as well as the ability to shoot hot-blooded manly spirit blasts out of his eyes.

Mondo would probably fight with his Crazy Diamond pickaxe primarily, but I'd imagine he'd have a Ghost Rider-style motorbike super as well as the ability to throw dumbbells at the opponent.

For Chihiro they could throw sense to the wind and have him use a fully-mechanical Robo Justice which he controls using his laptop from afar, meaning you'd have to constantly keep track of both characters at once.

...Honestly, I could probably come up with ideas for the entire cast if I set my mind to it.

PK Gaming

The DR characters lend themselves to pretty well to being FG characters

I mean Hifumi could fight using justice hammers, Hiro could use his occult powers, etc

would mark out so hard for a DR fighting game
i don't even know how most characters would fight all i know is that i want it

i think that at one of the fan events the series producers even had a discussion about which character would come out on top in a fight and they decided kyoko would win because she's batman and sakura would come in 2nd

edit: actually i was wrong, quote from orenronen, author of the SA LP (i'll spoiler anything about SDR2 characters because might as well, but there's no actual spoilers):

I like how they rank Sakura as "so strong you can't beat her even with a tank" lol

Between the first game and the sequel they definitely can have enough "fighting" type characters to make a small roster.

Dibs on Gundam and his Four Dark Lords of Destruction (hamsters)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
No, that's wrong

It should go without saying that the old Byakuya would never utter those words. His character arc is about (slowly) understanding the feelings of the people around him. Perhaps "redeem" is too strong of a word, but he definitely stops acting like an acerbic loner by the end of the game. It's clear as day during the final trial, where his cooperation (both in and outside of the trial) as at an all time high. I would argue that his motivations make a complete change, given what happened to his family (he went from wanting to rule the world to trying to restore his family's legacy) but it's ambiguous. We'll have to wait until SDR2 to settle that matter.

I'll admit that the Edgeworth comparison was tenuous, but I wasn't all that serious about it. There's no doubt in mind that there IS a change in his character.

Agree to disagree.

There's minor changes to his character, just like there is with pretty much every surviving character with the possible exception of Hiro. He absolutely continues to act like an asshole at the end. Just because his asshole, self-centeredness happens to be in accordance with the goal of everyone else by the end of the game doesn't make him any less of an asshole.

His motivations have never changed, especially considering what's revealed during his report card completion. You simply see more of him, and see at least partly why he's an asshole by the end of the game.

Moonlight

Banned
I would main him in a heartbeat

also JUNKO

I'd imagine her moveset would incorporate her difference personas, and it would be hilarious
One of Junko's moves should totally be the foot of the giant Monokuma that was tearing down the Eiffel Tower coming down out of nowhere, just saying.

Speaking of, Monokuma would probably be an amazing fun character to play.

Clov

If Danganronpa continues being as popular as it is in Japan, I wouldn't be surprised if they did end up making a fighting game. Maybe give it to Arc System Works, so it could have some really nice sprites.

PK Gaming

Why are you getting me hype for a game that will never exist!!

lkUCCnD.jpg

BELIEVE

(fires truth bullet)

Man, if Umineko and Higurashi can exist as fighting games, I'd argue that Danganronpa has enough material to turn it into a fighting game.

I actually had a theory a year ago that they were going to announce a Danganronpa fighting game before they would announce Danganronpa 3. Well, we got Another Episode which is technically a third-person action game. But there is material for a Danganronpa fighting game between the first and second game.

That's if Spike-Chunsoft is crazy enough (they probably are) and willing to take the risk on doing something very different from what they've done before. I think the closest we would get to seeing a Danganronpa fighting game would be if Sony decided to give a Playstation Smash Bros Mash-Up kind of game a second go and had Monokuma as a playable character in it.

Squire

Banned
So I beat the game an hour ago. Took some time to collect some thoughts.

It's excellent. Really excellent. For me, playing this game had a couple of similarities to when I first played Mass Effect 2. I played ME2 on PS3, which means I played it after spending a calendar year hearing all about how it was this amazing game. It was, as was this. They both start incredibly strong and cement themselves as quality pieces of work, right from the off. Yet somehow, they still managed to exceed my expectations.

I think the game has some trouble establishing tone in the first couple of acts, but after the first two trials, you're in it. The characters are developing, your interaction with Monokuma is as entertaining for you as it is frustrating for the team, and the writing and voice acting really starts to shine.

The cases are all really well put together. They kept me guessing and even when I basically guessed right, I never had the whole picture and that was always interesting. None of these characters (well, Genocide Jill...) are killers and the game doesn't try to make them that. They're people and under the right circumstances, people are unfortunately capable of murder of any degree.

My favorite chapter was 5. The fake out that comes with selling out Kyoko is one of the greatest trolls I've ever experienced, Alter Ego saving Makoto had my heart doing backflips, and even though it's a lot for them to throw in one scene, Kyoko's backstory transforms her into more than just an incredibly cool character - a compelling one.

I have some very minor complaints. Hifumi's "2D" lines always fell completely flat for me. I thought the lovesick Toko stuff was a little much, too. By the end of the game I had just had enough of that, although it does give way to some hilarious lines. Chapter 6 could probably be half as long it is. It hammers away "Hope v. Despair" but man, it feels redundant and takes forever. The characters acknowledging that this is happening doesn't make it any better either. But it's fine. Like I said, minor complaints.

My favorite characters were ultimately Kyoko, Byakuya, and Celeste. Kyoko I love everything about, Byakuya is a great foil for her, and Celeste unsettled me, but she also intrigued me. I enjoyed having her around I felt the loss when she was gone. But I felt all the losses and in general I liked everyone. They assembled a great cast.

One thing I'm super excited for is more of Takada. This has to be one of my favorite OSTs ever. Oh my god. When a Non-Stop Debate starts? Or when Makoto picks the right answer and the music swells? Yes. I loved it. Absolutely cannot wait to hear his work on SDR2 and The Evil Within. I even noticed Tango Gameworks in the DR credits!

There's more to say and I'll post it since I'm sure I'll be playing/thinking about this game for a few weeks yet, but for now, if you're keeping up with this thread, thanks to Houk and the guys at NISA. I think you guys hit this one out of the park. I wasn't sure at first, but ultimately, you really pulled it off!

So I beat the game an hour ago. Took some time to collect some thoughts.

It's excellent. Really excellent. For me, playing this game had a couple of similarities to when I first played Mass Effect 2. I played ME2 on PS3, which means I played it after spending a calendar year hearing all about how it was this amazing game. It was, as was this. They both start incredibly strong and cement themselves as quality pieces of work, right from the off. Yet somehow, they still managed to exceed my expectations.

I think the game has some trouble establishing tone in the first couple of acts, but after the first two trials, you're in it. The characters are developing, your interaction with Monokuma is as entertaining for you as it is frustrating for the team, and the writing and voice acting really starts to shine.

The cases are all really well put together. They kept me guessing and even when I basically guessed right, I never had the whole picture and that was always interesting. None of these characters (well, Genocide Jill...) are killers and the game doesn't try to make them that. They're people and under the right circumstances, people are unfortunately capable of murder of any degree.

My favorite chapter was 5. The fake out that comes with selling out Kyoko is one of the greatest trolls I've ever experienced, Alter Ego saving Makoto had my heart doing backflips, and even though it's a lot for them to throw in one scene, Kyoko's backstory transforms her into more than just an incredibly cool character - a compelling one.

I have some very minor complaints. Hifumi's "2D" lines always fell completely flat for me. I thought the lovesick Toko stuff was a little much, too. By the end of the game I had just had enough of that, although it does give way to some hilarious lines. Chapter 6 could probably be half as long it is. It hammers away "Hope v. Despair" but man, it feels redundant and takes forever. The characters acknowledging that this is happening doesn't make it any better either. But it's fine. Like I said, minor complaints.

My favorite characters were ultimately Kyoko, Byakuya, and Celeste. Kyoko I love everything about, Byakuya is a great foil for her, and Celeste unsettled me, but she also intrigued me. I enjoyed having her around I felt the loss when she was gone. But I felt all the losses and in general I liked everyone. They assembled a great cast.

One thing I'm super excited for is more of Takada. This has to be one of my favorite OSTs ever. Oh my god. When a Non-Stop Debate starts? Or when Makoto picks the right answer and the music swells? Yes. I loved it. Absolutely cannot wait to hear his work on SDR2 and The Evil Within. I even noticed Tango Gameworks in the DR credits!

There's more to say and I'll post it since I'm sure I'll be playing/thinking about this game for a few weeks yet, but for now, if you're keeping up with this thread, thanks to Houk and the guys at NISA. I think you guys hit this one out of the park. I wasn't sure at first, but ultimately, you really pulled it off!

It'll be uh, a full-body tattoo.

PK Gaming

Guys, I came up with the plot for DanganRonpa 3
======================================

"Some models were never cute.... Some villains you never forget"
Kyoko: She died years ago...
Third Game hero: You're sure?
Kyoko: I was there.
"Some heroes will never back down"
Kyoko: Go to work.
"Junko is back, and she isn't fashionably late"
Junko: Puhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhu!!!
"She's got a new crew, a new game"
Junko: A lot has changed since your old Auntie Junko's been away. A new Japan, new rules, and even a new hope-- I'm ready to give this old world a frown again!
"Now the world's newest Ultimate Hope needs answers"
Third Hero: What can you tell me about models.
Byakuya: Drop it child.
"He'll have to stand alone"
Junko: You're out of your league, I know every trick the original Ultimate Hope and Detective knew at their peak.
"-- To face a vengeful menace from the past who's day is about to dawn again"
Third Hero: Lets dance.
"DanganRonpa 3: Return of Junko-- This time Enoshima IS despair!"

So, what do you think?

Guys, how do you get Iron Plates in School Mode? I can't them from regular collecting and I can't make them. It seems like Pectoral Harness might unlock them, but you need Iron Plates to get it....

Squire

Banned
Everyone's been waiting to hear about your avatar.

You might wanna go over the last 2 pages, they've been all about you.
KuGsj.gif

~_^

Puhuhuhuhu!

So, here's what I knew going into the game: Junko was the mastermind.

That's all I knew though, so everything else was a shock. I didn't mean to cause any trouble, but you ask why I picked this avatar.

I didn't realize it was a spoiler. I'd seen a lot of fan art with her, but she's drawn with these hairpins so regularly I didn't realize the character had any other look until late. I didn't even notice Mukuro has freckles! I saw HeavenSmiley's post in the OT, but I figured if I acknowledged it, I'd draw attention to myself.

I hope I didn't ruin anybody's fun. I'll probably switch avis soon.

Junko though. What a villain.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Guys, how do you get Iron Plates in School Mode? I can't them from regular collecting and I can't make them. It seems like Pectoral Harness might unlock them, but you need Iron Plates to get it....
Just checked & it's in the Physics Lab. You'll have a better chance of getting it after leveling up your characters. Also, if you can, GET THE TOOLS. It will make getting materials so much easier.

Just checked & it's in the Physics Lab. You'll have a better chance of getting it after leveling up your characters. Also, if you can, GET THE TOOLS. It will make getting materials so much easier.
That's why I want the Iron Plate. D: I want all the tools, but them damn iron plates. Thanks for the help, man.

joe2187

Banned
Guys, I came up with the plot for DanganRonpa 3
======================================

Junko: I have a dream.' That one day every person in this nation will control their own despair. A nation of the truly Hopeless, dammit. A nation of Violence, not words, ruled by anarchy, not committee! Where the law changes to suit the criminal, not the other way around. Where power and chaos are back where they belong: in the hands of the people! Where every man is free to Kill - to act - for himself! Fuck all these limp-dick lawyers and chickenshit bureaucrats. Fuck this 24-hour Internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit! Fuck American pride! Fuck the media! FUCK ALL OF IT! America is diseased. Rotten to the core. There's no saving it - we need to pull it out by the roots. Wipe the slate clean. BURN IT DOWN! And from the ashes a new America will be born. Evolved, but untamed! The weak will be purged and the strongest will thrive - free to live as they see fit, they'll make America great again! ...In my new America, people will die and kill for what they BELIEVE! for money. for oil! Not for what they're told is right. Every man will be free to pursue his own Despair!"

Makoto: I said my hope was a tool of justice. Not used in anger. Not used for vengeance. But now... Now I'm not so sure. And besides, this isn't my hope.

Squire

Banned
So can we get some art up in here or what? Anyone have the class pictures? I'd love to screenshot the art as it appears in the game, but I'm not very quick on the draw and when you buy the art from the Extras menu, it has the X button prompt in the corner. :(

PK, do your thing!

FluxWaveZ

So can we get some art up in here or what? Anyone have the class pictures? I'd love to screenshot the art as it appears in the game, but I'm not very quick on the draw and when you buy the art from the Extras menu, it has the X button prompt in the corner. :(

PK, do your thing!

He posted some here.

Also, did you happen to check Makoto's report card after he became the Ultimate Hope?

PK Gaming

Junko: I have a dream.' That one day every person in this nation will control their own despair. A nation of the truly Hopeless, dammit. A nation of Violence, not words, ruled by anarchy, not committee! Where the law changes to suit the criminal, not the other way around. Where power and chaos are back where they belong: in the hands of the people! Where every man is free to Kill - to act - for himself! Fuck all these limp-dick lawyers and chickenshit bureaucrats. Fuck this 24-hour Internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit! Fuck American pride! Fuck the media! FUCK ALL OF IT! America is diseased. Rotten to the core. There's no saving it - we need to pull it out by the roots. Wipe the slate clean. BURN IT DOWN! And from the ashes a new America will be born. Evolved, but untamed! The weak will be purged and the strongest will thrive - free to live as they see fit, they'll make America great again! ...In my new America, people will die and kill for what they BELIEVE! for money. for oil! Not for what they're told is right. Every man will be free to pursue his own Despair!"

Makoto: I said my hope was a tool of justice. Not used in anger. Not used for vengeance. But now... Now I'm not so sure. And besides, this isn't my hope.
I love everything about this post, hahaha

I'd kill to see that fight between Makoto and Junko animated or drawn up in a comic

Levito

Banned
I'm about half way through Chapter 2 on the English dub, warming up to it. Still much prefer the Japanese track though, Kyoko just doesn't work for me in English.

It hammers away "Hope v. Despair" but man, it feels redundant and takes forever. The characters acknowledging that this is happening doesn't make it any better either. But it's fine. Like I said, minor complaints.

Yeah, that part feels really hamfisted. Goes hand in hand with what I'd said eariler about Junko's whole "I'm the embodiment of despair" speech. Kinda lame, but ah well--mostly just stands out cause the rest of the game is so well written.

A few of the characters, like Hifumi, don't do enough to stand out amongst their character tropes.

Moonlight

Banned
You'll see the magic happen when you get to Chapter 3 and Celeste's breakdown.

PK, do your thing!
Here are all of 'em.

PK Gaming

PK, do your thing!

Ask and you shall receive ♪

Albums:
My album1
FluxWaveZ

4Koma:

Official Art:
Alternate Execution: Makoto Naegi
Awesome art
Mukuru Ikusaba

Fanart:
Kirigiri Vol 5
Wallabri art dump!
More Wallabri
The Ultimate Despair

Other:
The Ultimate...Despair?
Elevator
Kyoko: Ultimate Despair
Manga art

And that about does it for fanart sadly. I'd go out and get more but... yeah :/

Squire

Banned
He posted some here.

Also, did you happen to check Makoto's report card after he became the Ultimate Hope?

The Ultimate... Despair?

I feel that makes a rather dark implication.

Yeah, that part feels really hamfisted. Goes hand in hand with what I'd said eariler about Junko's whole "I'm the embodiment of despair" speech. Kinda lame, but ah well--mostly just stands out cause the rest of the game is so well written.

A few of the characters, like Hifumi, don't do enough to stand out amongst their character tropes.

Yeah, totally. Hifumi is probably the weakest in that regard. The thing liked about Sayaka was how they used her trope to draw Makoto (and the player) in and then she became a killer. I liked that balance in DR. It makes jokes and you're meant to laugh, but there's stuff in there that 'a purely to troll you or make you feel uncomfortable. It's a real black comedy in that regard.

Here are all of 'em.

Thanks, guys! Ah, I love these. They're so in line with the characters personalities.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
You know, this is like of the best Japanese adventure games I've played so far. If I'd rank them (including Corpse Party since it's an adventure game):

AA1-3
Corpse Party (1+BoS)
DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
Shadow of Destiny
Virtue's Last Reward
AA4
AA5
AA:I
Time Hollow

PK Gaming

It's not a typo - I can't guess as to their reasoning, but that's what they had in the Japanese version.

Gah, you're like Monokuma! Appearing out of nowhere and correcting like that...

So there was a typo in the Japanese version too... how unfortunate.

EDIT: Wait so it wasn't a typo?

FluxWaveZ

You know, this is like of the best Japanese adventure games I've played so far. If I'd rank them (including Corpse Party since it's an adventure game)

Yeah, DR is definitely up there for me as well. There's just so much about it that I love. I'm so glad we're getting the sequel this year and that there's a third game that we might have a good chance of eventually getting.

We need a patch!

Ha, one of the first things that came to mind when I saw it. Won't lie, seeing that typo very slightly diminished the ending for me because, in the back of my mind, all I could think of was "why the hell is it written "Ultimate Despair"? "

It's not a typo - I can't guess as to their reasoning, but that's what they had in the Japanese version.

It was... intentional? It seemed so blatant that that's the other possibility that came to mind when I first pointed it out in this thread.

...I have a weird feeling that I shouldn't pursue why it is.

Top Bottom