• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Spoiler Thread - Farewell, spoiler tags of despair!

Squire

Banned
You know, this is like of the best Japanese adventure games I've played so far. If I'd rank them (including Corpse Party since it's an adventure game):

AA1-3
Corpse Party (1+BoS)
DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
Shadow of Destiny
Virtue's Last Reward
AA4
AA5
AA:I
Time Hollow

Yeah, DR is definitely up there for me as well. There's just so much about it that I love. I'm so glad we're getting the sequel this year and that there's a third game that we might have a good chance of eventually getting.

I still haven't played too many games of this type, but I too loved everything about DR. It really did turn out to be everything I wanted. I already want to replay if and the sequel has shot to the top of my most wanted list.

Worst typo ever

I wanted to see the words "Ultimate Hope" after earning it, but noooooooo

We need a patch!

:(

It's not a typo - I can't guess as to their reasoning, but that's what they had in the Japanese version.

Here's my thinking: Makoto either earned that title for besting Junko or (more likely) because in truth, he's the ultimate unlucky student. A bad omen; his very presence brings about despair. I think if you believe that, you could go on to assume he and the survivors will go on to face hardships like Junko said. But they'll make it. They have hope.

Steel

Banned
It's not a typo - I can't guess as to their reasoning, but that's what they had in the Japanese version.

It's funny, because I actually was thinking, during the middle-late part of the game when his old self was talking to him in his dreams, that Makoto may have been the mastermind in the first place but had his mind wiped. I mean, if you're the ultimate despair that wants to experience despair, then why not put yourself in a position where you would maximize your own despair. Of course I was wrong, but that ultimate despair title has me reaching for that theory again.

Levito

Banned
Yeah, totally. Hifumi is probably the weakest in that regard. The thing liked about Sayaka was how they used her trope to draw Makoto (and the player) in and then she became a killer. I liked that balance in DR. It makes jokes and you're meant to laugh, but there's stuff in there that 'a purely to troll you or make you feel uncomfortable. It's a real black comedy in that regard.

Yeah, that was great.

When I was finishing up the game, I was thinking your icon is totally a spoiler. haha

PK Gaming

It was funny when social links first open up and the game sarcastically says "I bet you you want to hang out with Sayaka" or something along those lines.

FluxWaveZ

It was funny when social links first open up and the game sarcastically says "I bet you you want to hang out with Sayaka" or something along those lines.

I dunno if it was sarcastic, but it did say something like "Why don't you hang out with Sayaka?" and I was all "HELL NO."

Unfortunately, it forces your hand.

Moonlight

Banned
A tip for people playing School Mode that is probably useless and/or redundant, but whatever. When a character's in Trigger Happy Heart mode, never use the Negation bullet. There's always two statements to shoot and one of them is okay to be negated and one of them is good to be affirmed, so shoot the one that should be affirmed or agreed with. Even if you get the right answer with Negation, you'll always just get a 'pretty good time' out of it, which is just half a heart. Affirming the right statement means you get a 'really good time', which is a full heart.

Dunno if this wasn't already obvious but I hadn't cottoned onto it till doing a couple of these things for more than a few different characters, so wanted to put it out there.

Squire

Banned
Yeah, that was great.

When I was finishing up the game, I was thinking your icon is totally a spoiler. haha

It is! Can someone hook me up with a Sayaka avatar? I'd use Kyoko, but Trigger's got dibs. I like Sayaka anyway.

YES! That's exactly what I'm talking about. When I read that I was like, "Oh shit, this game knows exactly what it's doing." There's a bunch of instances like that.

Labrys

It is! Can someone hook me up with a Sayaka avatar? I'd use Kyoko, but Trigger's got dibs. I like Sayaka anyway.

A6zzkX6.png
F1nxEU2.png
SOay2dr.png
8K3NxUI.png
H2rRvJc.png

here's a few, if you don't like any of those i can give it another shot

EDIT:
also made this one, considering making one of them for the whole case
MoTxazD.png

Steel

Banned
I dunno if it was sarcastic, but it did say something like "Why don't you hang out with Sayaka?" and I was all "HELL NO."

Unfortunately, it forces your hand.

It pretty much said something like "Doesn't Sayaka seem like the perfect first person to get closer to?"(Ok, still paraphrasing, but it still sounded that sarcastic at the time).

Moonlight

Banned
Am I not understanding something or is the MonoMono Machine borked? At least, the options menu one. I'm still getting repeat presents despite spending enough coins to crank the repeat percentage all the way to zero. It's wigging me out.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
You know, I wonder why this game just got localized just recently and not their PSP versions. IIRC, some publishers found it hard to localize because of the Kana play during the mini-games and whatnots?

Still, I was considering the dead portrait thing for avatars.

I think that'll be a bit spoilerish.

Labrys

That would be so awesome. You should really considering doing it when you have the time!

i chose the best night not to be able to sleep

feel free to use as you guys like. i'll probably make a sdr2 batch of them for my OT or something

Can I see what else you've got? Sorry, I'm so picky. >_<

it's honestly hard finding good non-spoiler maizono art, i gave it another try:
ZXPz01z.png
c7CHJR3.png
xDYyLbo.png

if all else pick one of her sprite expressions and i can get it made for you

Squire

Banned

feel free to use as you guys like. i'll probably make a sdr2 batch of them for my OT or something

ZXPz01z.png
c7CHJR3.png
xDYyLbo.png

Can you do this one?

5(87).png

These are all great though, like PK says.

I'm pretty sure I've seen someone using an avatar for all 15 of the Ultimate Students except for Hifumi. I guess it just goes to show how great this game's cast of characters is (with one small exception)!

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
I was just looking over the trophies in the Playstation app and I thought this this was interesting. The app lists what percentage of players have each trophy so you can see which characters were the most popular (sort of) by seeing which percentage of people completed their report card. Anyway as of today these are the numbers.

Kiyotaka - 7.1%
Byakuya - 7.8%
Mondo - 7.8%
Leon - 8.3%
Hifumi - 6.6%
Yasuhiro - 6.3%
Sayaka - 35.8% (This is probably because the game pushes you so much towards getting it during the story. Or so my non-psychic intuition tells me anyway)
Kyoko - 14.7%
Aoi - 13.6%
Toko - 6.1%
Sakura - 7.4%
Celeste - 8.9%
Junko - 10.1%
Chihiro - 9.2%

So far only 4.6% have got them all which means even the less popular people have some fans who weren't just doing them all (or haven't finished I guess). During the story I only managed to finish Sayaka and Aoi, Kyoko wouldn't talk to me when I was trying to finish that one so it's not surprising to see those so high. Junko being high surprised me because it seems like you don't really get the chance during the story, maybe it's really easy though. Anyway it doesn't correlate properly with popularity because of the way the story is structured but I found it interesting anyway.

TLDR: People love waifus

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wow at Hiro being the second lowest, just slightly above Toko....I WOONNDDDEERRR WHYYY.

...seriously, I don't mind him outside of trial & contributing little to nothing, but how the hell did he manage to survive till the end of the game?

aliens.jpeg

Puru

I finished Yasuhiro in my first playthrough on psp because i actually wanted to see if at least his event where somewhat interesting, i was even disappointed by those :(

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
I did Hiro last myself. I actually ended up pretty much hating his character. So yeah that's not surprising. Toko I thought would be higher just because the character is interesting however I feel like hers was actually longer than the rest so that might have something to do with it... or perhaps people just didn't want to hang out with a serial killer. Who knows? Anyway I actually went to look up the Japanese trophy list to see if it was possible to compare but unfortunately there isn't separate trophies for each character. Just one silver trophy for doing everyone.

LiK

Figured out School Mode. There is a destinct lack of guides out there. Had to take some hints from those GameFAQ threads. It's pretty easy now. I'll probably get everyone's undies tonight. It's pretty addictive. I like the endings since it's a what if those particular guys didn't die scenario.

Maxed out hearts with Chihiru, Sakura and Junko on second playthru. Hina maxed in current playthru. Working on Mondo.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, getting the tools & having some characters leveled up (lv 5 should be a good start) makes School Mode much easier. I was close to already having the next assignment finished & would have a few days left after building it. Just a shame it's gonna feel kind of tedious now having to do it twice more for the 10 other characters (got Chihiro, Sayaka, Celeste, Aoi, & Kyoko on my first "real" playthrough).

Though I need to figure out if I want to deal with doing school mode twice again for the 999 coins (I'll have 620-ish after getting all the endings) or figure out a different method. Then it's getting those damn presents & buying all the gallery items, which shouldn't be too bad since I already had the music unlocked, saving me about 135-ish coins along with some random events & artwork.

LiK

I was tempted to use the coins to try and get the rest of the presents but I'll horde them for the 999 trophy. That is quite a grind if I don't start now.

NotLiquid

I was just looking over the trophies in the Playstation app and I thought this this was interesting. The app lists what percentage of players have each trophy so you can see which characters were the most popular (sort of) by seeing which percentage of people completed their report card. Anyway as of today these are the numbers.

Kiyotaka - 7.1%
Byakuya - 7.8%
Mondo - 7.8%
Leon - 8.3%
Hifumi - 6.6%
Yasuhiro - 6.3%
Sayaka - 35.8% (This is probably because the game pushes you so much towards getting it during the story. Or so my non-psychic intuition tells me anyway)
Kyoko - 14.7%
Aoi - 13.6%
Toko - 6.1%
Sakura - 7.4%
Celeste - 8.9%
Junko - 10.1%
Chihiro - 9.2%

So far only 4.6% have got them all which means even the less popular people have some fans who weren't just doing them all (or haven't finished I guess). During the story I only managed to finish Sayaka and Aoi, Kyoko wouldn't talk to me when I was trying to finish that one so it's not surprising to see those so high. Junko being high surprised me because it seems like you don't really get the chance during the story, maybe it's really easy though. Anyway it doesn't correlate properly with popularity because of the way the story is structured but I found it interesting anyway.

fzxeWSm.png

"Y-you all do hate me after all...!"

LiK

I don't understand the Sayaka trophy being so high. You don't have a lot of time to max out her Report Card unless you replay the opening or did her first in School Mode. I guess people really like her. She's the typical crush from the past trope.

Trigger

I finished Kyoko's report card first, and that was mostly because my genre savvy senses told me she was probably important to the plot. I imagine that probably goes for a lot of people who maxed her first.

Volcynika

I don't understand the Sayaka trophy being so high. You don't have a lot of time to max out her Report Card unless you replay the opening or did her first in School Mode. I guess people really like her. She's the typical crush from the past trope.

Hers was surprisingly quick, might be why.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, Sayaka & Leon's didn't take long, maybe 3 levels. Everyone else seems to be 3 to 5 times (save for Toko who has about 7 since you gotta include Genocide Jill...that actually might explain why she's the least popular). I'd check if I had my Vita with me. Heck, if I had the time, I'm tempted to type up what you get with each interaction (SP +1 or skill/what it does/how much it costs) & how many times it happens.

DNAbro

ZXPz01z.png
c7CHJR3.png
xDYyLbo.png

Took the naegi one. Thanks!

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, I can't be bothered with skills and stuff but here's the length of each report card. (Not including page 1)

Kiyotaka - 4
Byakuya - 5
Mondo - 4
Leon - 3
Hifumi - 5
Yasuhiro - 6 (!)
Sayaka - 2
Kyoko - 4
Aoi - 6
Toko - 8
Sakura - 5
Celeste - 6
Junko - 3
Chihiro - 4

So while that explains a little I don't think it actually changes too much. Some of the unpopular ones are quite short and people like Aoi and Celeste who were more popular are still the longer ones.

LiK

Hers was surprisingly quick, might be why.

Yeah, Sayaka & Leon's didn't take long, maybe 3 levels. Everyone else seems to be 3 to 5 times (save for Toko who has about 7 since you gotta include Genocide Jill...that actually might explain why she's the least popular). I'd check if I had my Vita with me. Heck, if I had the time, I'm tempted to type up what you get with each interaction (SP +1 or skill/what it does/how much it costs) & how many times it happens.

Oh, forgot about the Report Card pages. I hated having to redo the main story opening for it. This was before I knew what School mode actually was.

RetroMG

Just a thought - Maybe the name of this thread should be changed to something like "Danganronpa Spoiler Thread." I've got two tabs on my screen that say "Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc..." and I can totally see people getting confused and cross-posting.

Yeah, Sayaka & Leon's didn't take long, maybe 3 levels. Everyone else seems to be 3 to 5 times (save for Toko who has about 7 since you gotta include Genocide Jill...that actually might explain why she's the least popular).

Also, Genocide Jill was creepy as hell. I was really annoyed when I realized I had to do both of them to get the trophy. It's the eyes that get me the most. And the tongue doesn't help either.

LiK

Just a thought - Maybe the name of this thread should be changed to something like "Danganronpa Spoiler Thread." I've got two tabs on my screen that say "Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc..." and I can totally see people getting confused and cross-posting.

I agree, no need for the subtitle in a spoiler thread. It only adds confusion. This is why when I make spoiler threads, I always make "spoiler" in caps as well.

Volcynika

Due to the similar way the threads start, I accidentally opened this thread and was spoiled that Asahina lived. Though during the trial about Sakura I really wondered if I remembered correctly!

FluxWaveZ

Yea, her eyes give me the chills.

Going from those forgotten school year photographs (and assumption due to simply sneezing causing the transformation), the class #78 students probably even knew they were living alongside a serial killer before the world went to hell. Heh, and yet they knowingly locked themselves in the school regardless.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Danganronpa: Thread of Spoiler Happy Havoc

Considering I've seen a few people in here not realize it was the spoiler instead of the OT, I'd be fine with a name change to make it more clear.

LiK

Going from those forgotten school year photographs (and assumption due to simply sneezing causing the transformation), the class #78 students probably even knew they were living alongside a serial killer before the world went to hell. Heh, and yet they knowingly locked themselves in the school regardless.

Pretty amazing she survived. I bet people would think she would be executed eventually. Nope.

Moonlight

Banned
fzxeWSm.png

"Y-you all do hate me after all...!"
In fairness, as much as I like Toko, she's probably the hardest Report Card to actually complete. Between her and Genocide Jill, I think she has the most entries in her card, and unless you're in School Mode, you'll have to talk to her while she's Jill if you want to complete her report card within one playthrough, and that only happens for a window of two chapters, if I recall correctly.

Pretty amazing she survived. I bet people would think she would be executed eventually. Nope.
I actually thought the opposite, really. When the details about Genocide Jack came out, I thought for sure that Toko's survival was guaranteed. The way I saw it, it was too predictable to be predictable, for the actual murderer of the bunch to be an actual murderer/murder within the game, and we spent half a trial deconstructing the really specific way she killed people anyways.

I have a SDR2 joke for that but I'll refrain, wwwwww.

I was like, no, leave me alone, let me choose who to be friends with.

I'm pretty sure I've seen someone using an avatar for all 15 of the Ultimate Students except for Hifumi. I guess it just goes to show how great this game's cast of characters is (with one small exception)!

I'm surprised someone wanted to be Hiro before the game.

Kiyotaka - 7.1%
Byakuya - 7.8%
Mondo - 7.8%
Leon - 8.3%
Hifumi - 6.6%
Yasuhiro - 6.3%
Kyoko - 14.7%
Aoi - 13.6%
Toko - 6.1%
Sakura - 7.4%
Celeste - 8.9%
Junko - 10.1%
Chihiro - 9.2%

Yeah, after chapter 4, your options get limited and Makoto sucks and makes half the remaining cast hate him for time to time making it hard to really do any social links from there. :E

So far I only got one finished and I'm in Chapter 5.

monokumasad.jpg
More people need to notice the (&#691; ´º&#12904;&#991;)&#691; cause (&#691; ´º&#12904;&#991;)&#691; wouldn't want to spoil you.

Top Bottom