• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Spoiler Thread - Farewell, spoiler tags of despair!

LProtag

Man, I just want to play the second game now because I'm already bummed out about being spoiled.

Must not give into despair!

NotLiquid

The fact that she just threw away their friendship like that sickens me. Guess she's a good villain in that regard. Would hate Mukuro more if not for "If", but that's not canon and not written by the writers of the main games so whatever.

To be fair, a lot of Mukuro's personality and actions in IF is based upon the elements canonized in Zero, which was written by the writer of the game.

Mukuro only seemed to go along with Junko's plan because she has attachment issues and wanted approval from the only thing she could call family. The only other exception was
Makoto, whom she had an infatuation with because Makoto was the only one who ever displayed kindness to her. IF only showcased a scenario when those feelings began showing because they were at odds with her relationship with Junko.

You've got to read in to the way Kyoko is using vulnerable there. Sayaka picked Leon not only because he wouldn't see it coming, but because after the fact no one would even consider for a second that she did it. That's why his strength is relevant.

I mean, just having Sakaya attempt a murder would be someone no one saw coming to begin with. I mean, that's probably why Leon went to her room anyway, cause no one would expect her to kill someone.

And his strength would matter because if she fails at the first strike (which she did), she's pretty much doomed. Of course, I guess she really didn't plan that far ahead.

Maybe she wasn't quite sure what skills his Ultimate Clairvoyant entailed yet? They had only been in the group for a few days to her knowledge, so she may have just picked the one that she knew the skills of. Picking the known over the unknown and all that.

I dunno, I mean she basically planned the crime scene telling Makoto to get the sword and place it in his empty room. (Why is his room still so empty)

She probably just did not think ahead to consider if her first strike failed what would happen. Cause having a sword and a baseball star kinda means she's completely doomed if she couldn't kill him with the first strike.

Ah, I had to build them all? That's why, darn.

Oh well, I can always try again later. I ended up getting through a ton of the free time events at least.

Make sure your report card is finished, too. I couldn't get an ending until I had a star next to everyone's name in the report card.

789shadow

Banned
Lots of people getting spoiled on DR2, unfortunately. Thankfully no one who's posted about that here seems to have had the game's largest twist spoiled for them.

Burnburn

Just finished the game and I really enjoyed it! It's just so stylish and it doesn't take itself too serious. Feels like the writers had a lot of fun writing the game and it sparks over to the player. Almost all of the characters are lovable which is, with a cast of +/- 15 characters quite a feat.

I'm a bit conflicted on the trials, some "mini-games" were so unnececairy, like for example hangman's gambit. I also found the explanation of the trials a bit shacky. The first time I played the "rhythm battle" thing I had absolutely no idea what to do and had to ask someone else what to do. It also was a bit unclear if you had to contradict the orange words or that you have to prove that they are right. 90% of the time you search for a statement that is wrong and then shoot at it the evidence why it's wrong. But sometimes you had to prove that a statement was right, they could've been a little more clear on that.

The cases itself, although a bit predictable, were really well done. It's just the trials that didn't click with me. I especially liked the trial where Hifumi played dead and got betrayed by Celeste. Only trial where I was completely wrong what happend.

Can't wait for the next game :).

About that, was there any indication as to why she chose to kill Leon? I mean, if you are gonna kill someone, why go for an athletic guy who can easily fight back instead of someone like Chihiro, Hifumi, or Junko?

(Mukuro!Junko would have totally won that fight, but it's not like Maizono knew who she really was.)

tumblr_n1bgkfv5Jv1qhhv13o1_1280.jpg

I don't think many of the students would accept Sayaka's invitation early on. Leon doesn't strike me as someone who's stupid (err, really stupid anyway) so i'm going to assume that he and Sayaka must have interacted during their free time.

Yeah, the manga says he helped her carry Naegi back to his room

Moonlight

Banned
Man, Sayaka was way more devious than I ever imagined.

Ah, I had to build them all? That's why, darn.

Oh well, I can always try again later. I ended up getting through a ton of the free time events at least.
To unlock the 'character endings', you need to unlock the True End, which is to say, you need to build the Warlockuma, which is the last request Monokuma makes. Otherwise... well, I don't know what happens because I always managed to scratch it together but that's the prerequisite.

Moonlight

Banned
So what exactly is school mode anyway?
It's a non-canon alternate take on the beginning of the game. They all lose their memories per the original game and gather in the main hall like they did, but it turns out Monokuma isn't 'ready' for the game to begin yet, because he doesn't have enough backups. He tells everyone there to start building him back-ups within the next fifty days before he'll 'tell them the way out', and in the meantime, encourages them to hang out and stuff. It's basically a mode to let you finish up your report cards with minimal interruptions with a vague collection/crafting metagame on top of it, and completing back-ups gets you 'Trip Cards', which you can use to hang out with certain characters and raise their affection (separate from their report card events), with its' fair share of unique conversations and whatnot. If you max them out and get the True End, you'll get an ending conversation with them and, uh, a reward.

So, tl;dr, Dangan Ronpa: dating sim lite edition.

He probably would have gone past the despair event horizon at some point anyways seeing his reaction to the motive #1 video.

Well, then again, everyone was freaking out in their own way.

Yeah, he was basically pounding at the front door to the school right after that event happened. He looked absolutely furious.

RetroMG

I really don't know why she even picked Leon as her target. I'm sure there are more stupid characters *coughHirocough* that she probably could have easily murder instead.

I actually was surprised that the game didn't call this out, but Sayaka was the Ultimate Pop Star or whatever, and Leon made a big deal about wanting to go into music. It makes sense (to me, at least) that he would be eager to talk to her, maybe more eager than sensible.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
It's a non-canon alternate take on the beginning of the game. They all lose their memories per the original game and gather in the main hall like they did, but it turns out Monokuma isn't 'ready' for the game to begin yet, because he doesn't have enough backups. He tells everyone there to start building him back-ups within the next fifty days before he'll 'tell them the way out', and in the meantime, encourages them to hang out and stuff. It's basically a mode to let you finish up your report cards with minimal interruptions with a vague collection/crafting metagame on top of it, and completing back-ups gets you 'Trip Cards', which you can use to hang out with certain characters and raise their affection (separate from their report card events), with its' fair share of unique conversations and whatnot. If you max them out and get the True End, you'll get an ending conversation with them and, uh, a reward.

So, tl;dr, Dangan Ronpa: dating sim lite edition.

OK thanks. :)

Zephyx

I think Sayaka knew that Leon has the hots for her. It is hinted in Leon's events that he's interested in Sayaka so maybe she noticed that? She can also somehow "read" people thoughts given her interaction with Makoto. I believe it's not related to being "psychic" or her having "good intuition" but her having a good sense of reading people's personality/behavior.

PKrockin

I'm a bit conflicted on the trials, some "mini-games" were so unnececairy, like for example hangman's gambit. I also found the explanation of the trials a bit shacky. The first time I played the "rhythm battle" thing I had absolutely no idea what to do and had to ask someone else what to do. It also was a bit unclear if you had to contradict the orange words or that you have to prove that they are right. 90% of the time you search for a statement that is wrong and then shoot at it the evidence why it's wrong. But sometimes you had to prove that a statement was right, they could've been a little more clear on that.
I just looked it like "which statement should Makoto respond to with 'no, that's wrong!'" and IIRC it worked out fine.

The problem I had was memorizing statements. If you memorize X and use it on Y it's rejected because they want you to use Y on X when either way should work.

saturnine

just got through the game, that really felt like a pyrrhic victory. I was really hoping for a "Zero Escape" twist somewhere along the line.
seriously, the biggest douche, the biggest numbskull and the biggest lunatic of the cast gets to live? gimme back poor little Chihiro ! :(

FluxWaveZ

just got through the game, that really felt like a pyrrhic victory. I was really hoping for a "Zero Escape" twist somewhere along the line.
seriously, the bigget douche, the biggest numbskull and the biggest lunatic of the cast gets to live? gimme back poor little Chihiro ! :(

There was a part of me that was worried that the game was going to take some sort of "out" via time travel or some nonsense so that the game ended on a happier note than it did, but I'm so glad it didn't.

Shit's messed up and "Good People Die." The world's seemingly screwed and, yeah, Pyrrhic victory suits it nicely.

Dugna

There was a part of me that was worried that the game was going to take some sort of "out" via time travel or some nonsense so that the game ended on a happier note than it did, but I'm so glad it didn't.

Shit's messed up and "Good People Die." The world's seemingly screwed and, yeah, Pyrrhic victory suits it nicely.

Thought the same thing first time I watched a LP for the game, have watched way to many alternate dimension/time travel Deus ex moments in these murder series. I mean it's all good when done right but rarely any of these games now let people just stay dead.

PK Gaming

Yeah, the game was like, here's some hidden depth and then NOPE! he's dead.

And then she called me a weenie.
AND NO ONE CALLS ME A WEENIE.

Listen up, because i'm only going to say this once:

After being attacked by the person she invited over, Maizono retreated to the bathroom.
The killer, who was suspiciously grey and naked broke in and stabbed her, but was too stupid to realize that she was writing his goddamn name in her own blood. He then disposed of the evidence the only way he knew how; throwing a round object at something. But of course, while I assume he was walking away and grinning like an idiot, he left a piece of his shirt behind.

Only one person could have done such a sloppy job of covering up their crime.

Leon Kuwata, you're the dumbass who DID IT

Squire

Banned
What did you guys think of Makoto? I don't think he's much of a character. He's got his own set of motivations and concerns, but he's still fairly template. In the end I still think I liked him, but I'm hoping Hinata has more to his personality in DR2.

GSR

What did you guys think of Makoto? I don't think he's much of a character. He's got his own set of motivations and concerns, but he's still fairly template. In the end I still think I liked him, but I'm hoping Hinata has more to his personality in DR2.

Pretty much how I feel about him too. He's a pretty neutral protagonist when all is said and done, though the free time events color him in a little bit.

Hinata has a much more distinct personality.

pariah164

I think Makoto's just there to represent the audience, honestly. That and truth bullets.

Oh perfect timing, I was just going to ask you guys who your top 3 favorite characters were, and why
- Celeste. I love everything about her character. Even though she lied about just about everything and killed for the most superficial reason ever... I still love her. Hell, she won the goddamn Liar Game. Crazy awesome. Plus, favorite death.

- Sakura. Physically and mentally strong, loyal to a fault, doing what she felt was best for everyone... Add that on top of her report card story (I am working on her now in school mode)... Just an awesome character all around.

- Kyoko. What can I say about her that hasn't already been said? She was the most competent person there, and were it not for her, Makoto and others would have been fucked more than they already were.

FluxWaveZ

I think Makoto's just there to represent the audience, honestly. That and truth bullets.

I don't know about that. He's clearly a naive, optimistic guy who serves to contrast with all of the insane people he's forced to be around and designed to be the one guy who can unite them all in the purpose of "hope", because he chooses to believe in the best of people, despite how they may appear at first.

My favorites were:

1. Non-mastermind Junko: She seemed like a down to earth kind of person with a good head on her shoulders. She also looked awesome.
2. Mastermind Junko: She's insane and obsessed with despair.
3. Byakuya: I guess I'll go with him for a third since he seemed to know what he was doing at all times (when he wasn't, it was a big deal) and had control of the situation. Plus, I like solo operatives. He should have done something about Toko, though.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
In no discernible order, my favorite characters were:

Aoi- because she's adorable
Kyoko- because she's strong and independent
Sakura- because she's an honorable badass

I kind of want Shin Junko in there.

kewlmyc

Oh perfect timing, I was just going to ask you guys who your top 3 favorite characters were, and why

Ishimaru - He's just a blast. Stickler for rules, but easily breaks down in tears. Only really wanted a friend in the end.

Sakura - The only girl that didn't try to kill anyone at any point and/or almost get you killed. Best girl by default. Mad respect for her all throughout chapter 4.

Kyoko - A given. "Let's show these dense motherfuckers some logic."

Celeste would have made the list by her design and dub performance in chapter 3, but she got Ishimaru killed. Can't forgive that. Hot without drills though.

saturnine

well, I agree that the game was probably better for it, but damn was it dark.

the executions were probably the most eerie and sinister parts of the game. they looked like demented Mr Oizo video clips. it was really jarring.

LX_Theo

Banned
Favorite characters... No particular order...

Mukuro - Most interesting character, I think
Celeste - Most intriguing personality and background
Kyoko - Knows what she is doing. Which is impressive.

Runners up
Aoi - Adorably stupid, but with enough passion to make up for it and then some
Leon - Pretty cool guy. Closest thing to a guy I'd want to hang out with.
Junko - Crazy to an extent I can help but be intrigued by.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Celeste - French Gothic lolita, nuff said
Genocide Jill - Best insane person ever
Junko - Second best insane person ever

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

I was expecting something like that myself.

I thought they were going to pull a reality show type deal when it was revealed that their exploits were being broadcast over the airwaves... but the morgue kinda threw that out the window. :p

Let's see... it should be obvious who my favorite character was.

I also liked Kyoko and Genocide Jill.

Jill comes from Erin Fitzgerald's performance and the fact she's so delightfully insane.

Also, fapsauce.

Squire

Banned

Celeste: Celestia always unsettled me; She gave me the creeps, but I liked her style and it was clear she was smart. I was really hoping she'd make it to the end and form bonds with the others, but that couldn't happen. The only time she let's up her facade is for a brief moment when she's caught. Neither you nor the characters ever get a chance to get to know Taeko Yasuhiro and I think what's made that death the most regrettable for me.

Byakuya: Togami is a real asshole yeah, but I think he slowly starts to loosen up in a way that's believable. He's at least a slightly better person at the end of the game and he really shines during trials. Intellectually he's an excellent foil for Kyoko.

Kyoko: I talked about why I like Kyoko so much in my initial impressions, but I'll go over it again. To start I just thought she was so friggin' cool. She really puts the cases together and I even remarked on Twitter early on that she was the ultimate detective. You can imagine my "I knew it!" reaction when she remembers that that is indeed her title. Which leads to the second part: Her backstory is interesting and compelling. They give it all to you in one scene with very minor hints before, but the way it shapes her character for the rest of that game is great. Kyoko always bails Makoto out. She always saves the day, but she's not perfect. She's human just like the others and her motivations make that clear. I think the scars on her hands are symbolic of that; Of her whole character really. She keeps her vulnerability hidden, but it is there.

hinata is fantastic
plus he has hair physics

Aoi-She reminded me of Chie from Persona 4 so much. So much boundless energy, and her love of donuts.
Sakura-She is such a badass, kick anyone's butt if they get in her way or mess with anyone she's good friends with in the school. But is like a gigantic teddy bear with the other side of her.
Genocide Jill-One of the funniest insane characters I've seen. And Erin Fitzgerald gave one hell of a performance as her, the right blend of crazy insane and scary insane.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
There needs to be more Toko/Jill love.

He lives up to his title Super Duper Screams Like a Little Bitch.

Ok honestly, he was a good surrogate for the player. Starts off incredibly naive (my classmates can possibly never kill each other) and with lots of hand holding by Kirigiri and Togami becomes a half decent detective by the end of the game. He still has some of his naivety and still a bit insufferable but at least his growth is pretty good.

Hinata is so many times better than Makoto as a main character though.

Well my top favorite should be obvious at this point :p

- Ishimaru: One of the most intense characters but also one who carries his emotions on his sleeve and face. Definitely had the most tragic ending being left all alone in the end.

- Chihiro/ Alter Ego: I definitely liked his resolve before his death. And then his resolve again as an AI.

- Sakura: One of the most loyal characters in this game. How she sacrificed herself in the end was definitely one of the most tear inducing deaths in the game.

Honorable mentions go to: Mondo, Kirigiri, Jill, Mukuro, Aoi and uhhhhh I guess Makoto and Leon?

Everyone else sucks.

Top Bottom