• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Spoiler Thread - Farewell, spoiler tags of despair!

i've seen that around so much

what is a hometown

also still not too fond of that scene, unfortunately (for me) there's a couple more like it in 2

SDR2 related:
Doesn't help there's a character who basically has a character trait of getting into fanservice-y positions for attention.

I guess I don't mind the fanservice scene in this game so much so you might not even see it the first time around.

Ugh, that picture... o_0

Forget, forget, FORGET BEAM!

tumblr_mqjwxdOqiY1qc7gsro1_500.gif

i've seen that around so much

what is a hometown

also still not too fond of that scene, unfortunately (for me) there's a couple more like it in 2
It's a phrase that originated from Senran Kagura producer, Kenichiro Takaki. The full quote is, "Tits are life, ass is hometown." He's not an eloquent man, but he knows what he likes.

Bro, this unhealthy obsession with Toko is, well, unhealthy. Let it go. Her heart belongs to another.

psssssh, please. as if the case is any different for you. except the part about them being alive.

SDR2 related:
Doesn't help there's a character who basically has a character trait of getting into fanservice-y positions for attention.

SDR2 spoilers ahoy you probably shouldn't quote this post
fuuuuuuck tsumiki. couldn't even get gratification from her execution 'cause they had to sneak a panty shot into it

Labrys

It's a phrase that originated from Senran Kagura producer, Kenichiro Takaki. The full quote is, "Tits are life, ass is hometown." He's not an eloquent man, but he knows what he likes.

you don't say

jk jk you like what you like. i'm just uh not inclined toward the female persuasion. yeah.

PK Gaming

Top 3

rHowgq2.png

"Even among the average, I'm completely average. So I can't even say I'm your "everyday hero" type."
I didn't think much of Makoto at first. True to his word, he was as average as they come when it came to protagonists. His passive nature made it easier to immerse yourself into the world of DanganRonpa. His POV was relatively inoffensive (aside from 1-2, moments like withholding a secret from fucking Kyoko) With all that said, Makoto might have lacked a distinct persona when compared to the rest of the cast, but I felt like he was still "there" in a sense that he had his own motivations, concerns, struggles, etc. He definitely "belonged" to story plot more than other most VN protagonists. When it came to his personality, I really appreciated his ability to keep moving forward, no matter what happened. Like, he doesn't really sit around moping around when a murder or something really happens. Yep, when the shit the hit fan, he's one of the first to start investigating and reach out to the truth. And I love, love, LOVE how that became an actual plot point by the end of the game. His character arc during the final arc was legitimately one of the best parts of the game. Watching him awaken to his true title (THE ULTIMATE HOPE) to inspire his friends and save the day was an awesome experience. Up until that point, Makoto was Kyoko's assistant for 80% of the game, which was fine, but seeing him defeat an enemy that even she couldn't take down was just... so damn rewarding. If i'm being honest? I really enjoyed his uplifting speech at the end the game. It felt earned, and not corny. The game Oh, and he's actually pretty cool during certain parts of the main trials.

ddeKeDy.png

"If you spend all your time trying to avoid danger, you'll never move forward."
It's been said before but it bears repeating; Kyoko fucking owns. She is hands down, the coolest character in DanganRonpa. As a player, you could always count on Kyoko come up with the conclusive evidence to win the trial, or dig up info on the mastermind. She'd even risk her own life to get a leg up on the mastermind which was just great. Her actions makes really care about her, especially when she disappears for an extented period ime, or when she's outright executed (I still maintain that her execution is the single most depressing thing in the game). Her presence made it easier to swallow the game. The situation was really bad, but with Kyoko around, you could rest easy knowing that there was a chance that things would get better. Kyoko was basically Batman.

tz3whlp.png

"All I want is despair. And there's no reason for it."
This is it. The big bad. The girl behind the mask (bear). The one responsible who was ultimately for all those pointless deaths, the executions. There was no sense, no meaning to any of her actions. Just despair. I just can't put into words how much of a great villain Junko is. The game designers didn't pull any punches with her; she's the kind of character you just love to just hate. A character that's so vile, so repugnant, there is practically no word in the English language that describes how awful Junko is. I mean her death leaves such a bad taste in your mouth. I thought I had seen the face of true evil when I finished watching Monster, but Junko makes Johan Liebert look like Bowser by comparison. The concept of someone who enjoys and only feels despair is so alien, so incomprehensible, it's really great. And she's so dang entertaining too; I mean she's MONOKUMA, who gave me endless entertainment. That alone gives her a ton of bonus points, and her other little Persona's were entertaining too. Even after death, her influence and legacy will probably dictate the pace of the sequels. If Kyoko's Batman, then Junko's The Joker.

Runner ups
bjlIDmw.png

My favorite character at the beginning I still really enjoy Chihiro (only less so because of his appearance, and more because of his actual character arc) and I was absolutely crushed by his death. Fortunately, he ended up playing a huge role in the storyeven after he died, and I think that Alter Ego was like personification of Hope for a brief while. Alter Ego saving Makoto is one of the most triumphant and uplifting scenes in the entire game.

hJcWnzz.png

Funniest character in the game, hands down. Her interactions with each of the other characters in the game were amazing, though I wish she spent a little less time fawning over Byakuya. Her social link was great, and it gave painted her character in a new light (TL;DR: It really sucks to be Toko) Genocide Jill was alright, but she got on my nerves when she stayed too long (she peaked in chapter 2, where she was at her best)

Honorable Mentions
Vz4cwv8.png

iXkWDcU.png

DsqMHhU.png

uauhee1.png

QWLlIzN.png

Dishonorable mentions
LHrzncE.png

Well I found something interesting while looking around about DR1, there is a prototype version of the game before it came to be what it is now. It very different from the end product, it has a more basic visual novel style to it, similar looking characters to the final game, just maybe a bit more subdued in how they look compared to the end product, it being set in a completely different place it seems, and has a more monochrome style to it.

Also the first victim is what looks like Kyouko Kirigiri instead of Sayaka Maizono. It still has the same execution and a similar looking Leon as the murder from the first trial in final game.

It would have been interesting to see how this would've turn out if they went down this route, it would have been a completely different game for sure.

Well I found something interesting while looking around about DR1, there is a prototype version of the game before it came to be what it is now. It very different from the end product, it has a more basic visual novel style to it, similar looking characters to the final game, just maybe a bit more subdued in how they look compared to the end product, it being set in a completely different place it seems, and has a more monochrome style to it.

Also the first victim is what looks like Kyouko Kirigiri instead of Sayaka Maizono. It still has the same execution and a similar looking Leon as the murder from the first trial in final game.

It would have been interesting to see how this would've turn out if they went down this route, it would have been a completely different game for sure.

Well if Kirigiri died then I'm surprised everyone solved the first trial, lol.

Junko's still there though.

And Ishimaru still has the spiral eyes~

I see a Kyoko looking girl in the background when Proto-Makoto is looking at the body.But I definitely see Proto-Sayaka there too. Hrm. Don't know what to think.

Squire

Banned
I love the way Junko's character design contrasts with her personality. She's quite easily the poster child for "beautiful on the outside, ugly on the inside" in gaming.

Voror

Beat the main game a little while ago. I'll post more complete thoughts later I suppose, but I really enjoyed this and I have to hand it to Junko's VA for the constant switching as it was well done to me.

I honestly found her execution kind of hilarious, though the crazy eyes much of the time were a bit creepy I suppose.

Started the initial part of School Mode, but I'll go into it proper tomorrow. Does anyone have any tips for how to proceed? I understand I can max out everyone's report cards for one and that there are trip tickets for events that lead to character endings. Should I focus on the report cards then? Does all that carry to the new game plus for School Mode?

Beat the main game a little while ago. I'll post more complete thoughts later I suppose, but I really enjoyed this and I have to hand it to Junko's VA for the constant switching as it was well done to me.

I honestly found her execution kind of hilarious, though the crazy eyes much of the time were a bit creepy I suppose.

Started the initial part of School Mode, but I'll go into it proper tomorrow. Does anyone have any tips for how to proceed? I understand I can max out everyone's report cards for one and that there are trip tickets for events that lead to character endings. Should I focus on the report cards then? Does all that carry to the new game plus for School Mode?

Actually it's two VA's that were doing the all the personalities that she had, Erin Fitzgerald and Amanda C. Miller, they also share the same role Toko and Genocide Jack/Jill. Although Amanda is Toko and Erin is Jill. Though I do have to agree with the execution of Junko, that was straight up hilarious. Compared to the other which ranged from being Sad to complete WHAT THE HELL, those pancakes man.

johnyqd

If you are going for the platinum I highly recommend following the guide here: http://pixelsordeath.com/the-long/danganronpa-trigger-happy-havoc-platinum-trophy-guide. I've been able to max out all report cards and get all the character endings in four playthroughs of School Mode.

Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions.

Voror

Actually it's two VA's that were doing the all the personalities that she had, Erin Fitzgerald and Amanda C. Miller, they also share the same role Toko and Genocide Jack/Jill. Although Amanda is Toko and Erin is Jill. Though I do have to agree with the execution of Junko, that was straight up hilarious. Compared to the other which ranged from being Sad to complete WHAT THE HELL, those pancakes man.

Ah, alright. I thought maybe the VA was simply very good at different voices. I'm familiar with Erin, but Amanda is new to me I think. But yeah, the execution was great. The monotone one actually creeped me out immensely

If you are going for the platinum I highly recommend following the guide here: http://pixelsordeath.com/the-long/danganronpa-trigger-happy-havoc-platinum-trophy-guide. I've been able to max out all report cards and get all the character endings in four playthroughs of School Mode.

Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions.

Ah, this is fantastic. Thank you. And I will if anything comes up.

tumblr_n1bzjqht3n1qhhv13o1_500.jpg

Well it certainly could've been more brutal

The Beta designs are really interesting. Mainly cause you can tell they were initially really going hard for the Battle Royale thing. The whole tone of the beta version gives off a much darker and edgier vibe than what we got in the final version, which is a more deceptively lighter toned and with a darker sense of humor mixed in. The sadistic irony is still there though so we got to keep that!

ix5rxGJ.jpg

01KL8aa.jpg

I really like Aoi's beta design, and they actually did use it to some extent for Koizumi in SDR2. The really large buff guy we later got to see in SDR2 as well as Nidai. Naegi looks the the typical protagonist of a really horrible and edgy shounen battle manga or something.

Also yes Kirigiri was originally supposed to be the first victim, but shit with the way DR1 goes if she wasn't around given how stupid half the cast is I don't think any of them would last very long.

I definitely like how different the second set of prototype characters look. I like the colors and how the colors stand out on each character's outfit.

I'm also surprised at how some of the characters even look. Proto-Makoto looks like a silent protag from a Persona game, Proto-Ishimaru looks like the main character of a shounen series and Proto-Maizono actually looks like a childhood friend.

---------------------------------------------

Also, I just love this scene.

Moonlight

Banned
I really dig how proto-Kyoko looks, actually. She looks pretty consistently great throughout all her iterations, really. I also think that Celeste (it's Celeste, right?) from that second set of pictures looks awesome, too.

Although I have to say I am very happy with how Junko turned out, looking at those other iterations. Even the one 'closest' to how she really looks now, looks a bit off-putting.

And if what I'm looking at there is who I think it is (Toko), I'm... uh, so very glad, that was changed.

Squire

Banned
I really dig how proto-Kyoko looks, actually. She looks pretty consistently great throughout all her iterations, really. I also think that Celeste (it's Celeste, right?) from that second set of pictures looks awesome, too.

It is. DR does the nickname thing, which I always appreciate.

Celestia Ludenberg = "Celeste"

Aoi Asahina = "Hina"

Yasuhiro Hagakure = "Hiro"

GSR

A pair of translation-related questions, since I haven't gotten to play the official English version:

-How was コロシアイ (mutual killing) translated? Orenronen used "mutual killing", Project Zetsubou used "Coliseum" - does the official game treat it as a special term with a consistent translation, or is it more ad-hoc?
-I forget if the first game has a sound test, but if it does, does anybody know if there's a listing of the English track names?

Thanks!

Regginator3

Neo Member
school mode is too addictive

I wonder how long it'll take to 100% Danganronpa? Probably a good 70+ hours for absolutely everything. (all trophies, all report cards full, all endings in School Mode, etc)

AniHawk

I wonder how long it'll take to 100% Danganronpa? Probably a good 70+ hours for absolutely everything. (all trophies, all report cards full, all endings in School Mode, etc)

how do you check play time on the vita? i'm guessing it was around 30 hours before i got my platinum trophy.

Sorta glad that the prototype game "apparent" storyline first death didn't go through.

When I first started the game, while I was certainly enjoying it, when Sayaka started cozying up to Makoto I got real nervous. I absolutely hate her character archetype; any manga or anime or game or whatever that had the main "interest" or sidekick or whatever be the long haired demure girl makes me instantly vom in my mouth a bit. It's just a preference, I can't stand that character. So when she started breaking and became the first death after trying to kill Makoto I fucking loved that twist and play on her trope.

And then when Kyoko became the main move and shaker among the girls, I fell in love with this game.

Hell, I loved most of the characters. How amazing was it that Sakura actually turned into one of my absolute favorites because she was so well done and thought out. They could've made easy and lazy choices with her character because of her design but they didn't.

Byakuya likewise was absolutely fantastic. I figured he'd be one of those haughty dudes who has his break down and talks a lot of shit but would be one of the murderers and not stick by what he said. But damned if he didn't have his own sense of honor and belief. Every time a trial came up I was trying to figure out if Byakuya did it and by the end I was like "Man...dude was honestly true to what he said and was the person after Kyoko who did the most to solve and figure out the truth behind everything." I never thought I'd like him as much as I did.

This game is boss.

AniHawk

Sorta glad that the prototype game "apparent" storyline first death didn't go through.

When I first started the game, while I was certainly enjoying it, when Sayaka started cozying up to Makoto I got real nervous. I absolutely hate her character archetype; any manga or anime or game or whatever that had the main "interest" or sidekick or whatever be the long haired demure girl makes me instantly vom in my mouth a bit. It's just a preference, I can't stand that character. So when she started breaking and became the first death after trying to kill Makoto I fucking loved that twist and play on her trope.

And then when Kyoko became the main move and shaker among the girls, I fell in love with this game.

Hell, I loved most of the characters. How amazing was it that Sakura actually turned into one of my absolute favorites because she was so well done and thought out. They could've made easy and lazy choices with her character because of her design but they didn't.

Byakuya likewise was absolutely fantastic. I figured he'd be one of those haughty dudes who has his break down and talks a lot of shit but would be one of the murderers and not stick by what he said. But damned if he didn't have his own sense of honor and belief. Every time a trial came up I was trying to figure out if Byakuya did it and by the end I was like "Man...dude was honestly true to what he said and was the person after Kyoko who did the most to solve and figure out the truth behind everything." I never thought I'd like him as much as I did.

This game is boss.

if you like games that mess with tropes, i recommend 999.

Top 3:

Chihiro- Really kind, and underwent great character development up until his death. Plus, being a CS major, I can really identify with him.

Aoi- What's not to like about her? Even with everything that was going on she always did her best to keep smiling. I honestly can't blame her for what happened in Chapter 4, either.

Yasuhiro- Smart, cunning, also had very funny Free Time interactions... Oh, wait? You think I'm talking about the male Yasuhiro? HAHAHAHA

Chihiro should have survived, not Yasuhiro. ;__;

FluxWaveZ

Chihiro should have survived, not Yasuhiro. ;__;

I think the two biggest, direct threats to Junko were Sakura and Chihiro. Sakura because of her immense strength (Monokuma even mentioned how s/he was worried about going against her once she rebelled) and Chihiro would have messed shit up had he still been alive to do his thing instead of having to leave it all to Alter Ego.

saturnine

about the report cards, is it possible to get genocide Jill's pages in school mode or do I have to replay the later chapters of story mode ? and what are the presents that she likes ?

Dugna

about the report cards, is it possible to get genocide Jill's pages in school mode or do I have to replay the later chapters of story mode ? and what are the presents that she likes ?

It's all doable in school mode, I thought I would have to go back to story also but it's not the case.

LiK

70 hours? I don't think I'm anywhere near that. Seems kinda long. I only have one trophy left. Just need to unlock all the gallery art. I'll do that tonight when I get more coins.

The School Mode took me about 1 1/2 hours per playthrough when I had to do the Trips. Slightly less when I was skipping them on the 5th playthrough.

Volcynika

70 hours? I don't think I'm anywhere near that. Seems kinda long. I only have one trophy left. Just need to unlock all the gallery art. I'll do that tonight when I get more coins.

The School Mode took me about 1 1/2 hours per playthrough when I had to do the Trips. Slightly less when I was skipping them on the 5th playthrough.

Yeah, if you take 70+ hours to do everything, you're either really unlucky or just trying to explore every inch.

Posted it earlier, but this is the save I had before buying the last gallery item and netting the Platinum:

BgoVwfqIMAA6A8C.jpg

Top Bottom