• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Spoiler Thread - Farewell, spoiler tags of despair!

PKrockin

I was sure I would be the only one who liked Byakuya. Not only was he a good foil to Kyoko like Inorigo said , but also the complete opposite of Makoto. It was always interesting watching him collide with those two.

I don't think there needs to be that at all.

I did enjoy this shot, though, because it's the one time she actually seemed relatively threatening:

TBH, she's one of those characters that's better when they don't overstay their welcome and leave when need be. And I think they did a good balance of this.

Caladrius

Oh perfect timing, I was just going to ask you guys who your top 3 favorite characters were, and why

Just 3? Hm..

Chihiro- By far the most painful of the early deaths, and Chihiro is the only person in the cast who honestly doesn't seem able to harm a fly even when pushed.

Sakura- As most others have said, stoic, wise, compassionate and gets a rather stellar case of posthumous revenge.

Leon- Leon is admittedly far from the most likeable or interesting character, but I could sympathize with the uncertainties and insecurities he shows. When he isn't acting like a dumbass he's one of the more friendly cast members. And I like his character design. > _ >

Runners Up: Genocide Jill, The real Junko and Ishimaru.
The fomer 2 are hilariously batshit. Ishimaru is brave but at the same time very pitiable. I could empathize with his loneliness and not being able to be taken seriously.

Squire

Banned
TBH, she's one of those characters that's better when they don't overstay their welcome and leave when need be. And I think they did a good balance of this.

I disagree, honestly. There's waaaaay too much of both Toko and Jill. At the end of the game if had more than enough. They best that joke silly.

FluxWaveZ

Yep, like Inorigo, I don't think there was a good balance of that at all. I'm talking about both Toko and Genocide Jill, because they were both annoying as hell.

I was kind of alright with them initially, but right at the moment they start clinging to Byakuya, she becomes extremely painful to deal with (I think some of the characters near the end of the game even express as much).

I thought it would have been a cool character arc if she had disassociated herself from Byakuya for some reason (there was a moment where I thought this was gonna happen when she talked about "Master's training" or whatever) and stopped being so crazy, but that can't be helped.

LProtag

I think Byakuya had the best character arc. He managed to change as a person while still retaining most of his character traits. That's a hard transition to pull off, turning him from a character you are suspicious of to one that you trust while still keeping him fundamentally an asshole.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Alright, why isn't Monokuma appearing in School Mode so I can check to see how many more times I need to use a trip ticket on someone? & why did 1/2 the characters disappear when I reloaded my file?

Squire

Banned
Yep, like Inorigo, I don't think there was a good balance of that at all. I'm talking about both Toko and Genocide Jill, because they were both annoying as hell.

I was kind of alright with them initially, but right at the moment they start clinging to Byakuya, she becomes extremely painful to deal with (I think some of the characters near the end of the game even express as much).

I thought it would have been a cool character arc if she had disassociated herself from Byakuya for some reason (there was a moment where I thought this was gonna happen when she talked about "Master's training" or whatever) and stopped being so crazy, but that can't be helped.

The cast definitely gets annoyed with her, which makes it even more jarring. It's a great setup for character development and it happens early enough on, but they get the characters to that point and just stop.

macklelol

Alright, why isn't Monokuma appearing in School Mode so I can check to see how many more times I need to use a trip ticket on someone? & why did 1/2 the characters disappear when I reloaded my file?

That happened to me before. I just closed and restarted the game and it fixed that problem.

Alfredo

Oh perfect timing, I was just going to ask you guys who your top 3 favorite characters were, and why

Sakura is far and away my favorite character.

Like Kyoko says, Sakura is strong in both mind and body. Her death was very meaningful, and by far the emotional chapter for me. She was able to withstand two murder attempts, and in the end, the only person that could kill her was herself.

At first, I was disappointed, as suicide is a pretty cowardly act, and I thought it was uncharacteristic of Sakura. Hina's interpretation of the fake suicide note made me feel even worse. But when her real suicide note reveals that she made the ultimate sacrifice to save her friends, it became an act of extreme courage and loyalty. It made an already awesome character even better. Her sacrifice even got Byakuya to kinda stop being a dick. And even after her chapter is over, she keeps on giving as Kyoko reveals that Sakura broke the door to the headmaster's office so they could continue their investigation. Man, she was so awesome.

And I guess after her I like Kyoko and Chihiro.

Chihiro ended up being my favorite male character in the game, mainly 'cause I find all the other guys boring. Too bad you don't find out she's a guy until after she's dead.

And I guess Kyoko is super detective lady that's very helpful, even if she did act like a super bitch at one point because the game wouldn't let me tell her about Sakura. Still, I'll continue to ship Kirigiri + Naegi. :p

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
That happened to me before. I just closed and restarted the game and it fixed that problem.
There we go. & Monokuma's back as well.

Man, this game is starting to get weird glitches (despite the easy reset fix). First the rear touchpad not working, now this.

Labrys

sakura - for reasons stated above. best character in the game, if not the whole franchise.

chihiro - she's one of the kindest characters i've come across in any game, my first time playing on the psp i was very seriously shaken by her murder

and uh ishimaru i guess, i like his character a bunch, also shouldn't have died

to be honest a lot more of my favorites are in 2 rather than 1

Pretty much, I feel like Toko/Jill is just slightly above Hiro in terms of usefulness in the end.

I agree. There are some more favorites in the first game, but I like more of the characters in the second one overall.

Clov

Three favorite DR1 characters?

1: Chihiro, not just because they're cute, but because they're so strong in heart. His was the hardest death to bear. Also because I love them.
2: Alter Ego: Chihiro's will continues on! He saved Naegi too, and by extension saved the entire cast.
3: Sakura: She's incredibly badass, and her relationship with Aoi was great.

PKrockin

I think Byakuya had the best character arc. He managed to change as a person while still retaining most of his character traits. That's a hard transition to pull off, turning him from a character you are suspicious of to one that you trust while still keeping him fundamentally an asshole.
I agree. After thinking it over a little Byakuya's definitely my favorite character, which is not at all what I was expecting at first. The other two are Sakura, for again completely subverting my expectations when she didn't kill herself out of despair like I thought at the beginning of the trial, and Kyoko for reasons that have already been discussed to death.

All this Sakura love. It warms my heart. Sakura was clearly the best. Second place for me would have to be Byakuya. What a loveable asshole. Third is Kyoko. She should have been the main character, not Makoto. That guy is a total goof.

Squire

Banned
sakura - for reasons stated above. best character in the game, if not the whole franchise.

chihiro - she's one of the kindest characters i've come across in any game, my first time playing on the psp i was very seriously shaken by her murder

and uh ishimaru i guess, i like his character a bunch, also shouldn't have died

I'm really excited to play DR2. Everyone says it's an improvement on DR1 in every way and I can hardly imagine. DR1 is such a strong debut for a franchise. It's front runner for my GOTY, currently.

Regginator3

Neo Member
I actually can't wait for SDR2. I actually enjoy this game just as much as I do my Ace Attorney games (hnng), gonna be great to continue the story.

Also School Mode is hella addictive, maxing everyone will take forever. This game has so much replay value too with all the different trophies and difficulties and everything.

Question, on Mean, do the actual arguments presented change or do you just get more ammunition on Mean for them?

Regginator3

Neo Member
Makoto is a lot more interesting when you do the actual report cards (been doing them in School Mode mostly). He provides hope to all the people with all their different problems by giving great advice in those "social links", more proof he's the Ultimate Hope I guess.

Labrys

yeah makoto's not very exciting (in trials) imo, i do like hinata in 2 though, he's a cool character and an improved protagonist

whoever does his voice did a lovely job though, i love listening to it

Squire

Banned
I agree with the notion that Makoto is not a very interesting protagonist. Cloud Strife syndrome.

Totally. I get why it happens and I think it's fine in most RPGs, but it's a very wushu-washy middle of the road archetype between defined character and silent MC. It feels really week in a VN where the bulk of your enjoyment is predicated on actual characters that are well written. I think that's one of Ace Attorney's greatest strengths; people enjoy playing from the defined perspective of Phoenix Wright.

Still, Makoto might as well be the Ultimate Investigator. Even Byakuya compliments him on his skill.

Eh, half the cast barely does any investigating on their own anyway. They are usually involved with the murder or just happen to see something.

And most of the time, Makoto only investigates something after being basically told to do that from Togami or Kirigiri.

LiK

There we go. & Monokuma's back as well.

Man, this game is starting to get weird glitches (despite the easy reset fix). First the rear touchpad not working, now this.

weird glitch, hasn't happened to me at all. currently on 3rd playthrough

FluxWaveZ

Eh, half the cast barely does any investigating on their own anyway. They are usually involved with the murder or just happen to see something.

And most of the time, Makoto only investigates something after being basically told to do that from Togami or Kirigiri.

Yeah, most of the cast are essentially useless when it comes to investigating on their own (if it weren't for Kyoko, Makoto and Byakuya, they all would have died except for the Blackened real early on).

But I wouldn't say the latter is what happens. At least, in the very first case, Makoto is completely self-motivated because he's the prime suspect and it involved his girlfriend.

For others, there are a couple of times where he's basically under Byakuya's control and there was a time when he's assisted by Kyoko, but I wouldn't say he was being guided by others for his investigations all the time. For the most part, he usually has an internal monologue for where he should investigate next just on his own.

Moonlight

Banned
What did you guys think of Makoto? I don't think he's much of a character. He's got his own set of motivations and concerns, but he's still fairly template. In the end I still think I liked him, but I'm hoping Hinata has more to his personality in DR2.
I liked Makoto a lot, actually. It's something that I can say in hindsight, at least. He definitely came across as 'template' for most of the game, in my eyes - to the point where I was half-way expecting him to absolutely die during his execution, only for the perspective to switch to Kyoko instead - but I think Makoto absolutely justifies what he adds to the story beyond just acting as the head we ride around in when it really brings all that naivety and hopeless optimism forward by turning him into the 'Ultimate Hope', empowering his friends to never stop believing.

My list is pretty topsy-turvy given how much I loved most of the cast, that my favourites are really fighting for where they are. So, in no particular order, I'd call it like this:

Kyoko: Kyoko is awesome as fuck. End of. Well, okay. Not really. Kyoko benefits hugely from all that extra screen-time that the game affords her, and I can't say she doesn't make good with most of it. Especially with the way they kept up most of the intrigue surrounding her throughout the game. She's an always cool customer that I think really becomes your, I dunno, rock. Ever-reliable and someone you can always trust to keep things on track. And it's all the more shocking, and even scary, when that ice cold front begins to crack - and it all comes to a head during her execution sequence, which despite technically never happening, is easily one of the most harrowing things I've had to go through in this game. And it helps that Kyoko, by far, has the best character design in the game. Classy as all hell.

Although I'd love to know what was up with her saying that her ability was to see the 'spectre of death', though. Actual supernatural ability?

Aoi: I think if Kyoko could be the brains of the game, Aoi is absolutely the heart. From the very beginning, she's an aggressively likable character, and never stops being fun to hang with. She's just a really warm personality, and when things are often at its' bleakest, Aoi's appearance is often pretty comforting to have around. If nothing else, she often serves as something like a barometer for how heavy the situation is since things always seem to touch her a bit more deeply on either end of the scale. Her relationship with Sakura, as well, was really great, and I actually really liked how she grew from Sakura's sacrifice and how it tied back into her end-of-game resolution of hope.

Mukuro: Mukuro absolutely came out of nowhere for me, even if my reasoning doesn't entirely come from the, uh, 'main content'. I'd always liked her attitude before she wound up being, uh, impaled, since she seemed to have a pretty good handle on things and had a pretty forward, gung-ho attitude about things that I appreciated. And then she died, and I was a bit sad. But I hadn't done any of her Free Time events before that, and so I moved on with my life, until Mukuro's corpse showed up, and a bunch of the mystery turned into unraveling who Mukuro Ikusaba even was. I spent most of that point from thereon assuming Mukuro was still alive - because Ultimate Soldier and Ultimate Despair, right? She'd probably have no trouble faking her own death, plus that character design looks pretty cool.

And then everything that followed proceeded to blow my mind sky-high.

SO ANYWAYS, I finished the game, and for my last character to go on trips with, I decided to go with Junko, because why not, right? Seemed like sort of a funny thing to try. I found out that I really liked her personality, and I loved the little glimpses of her real passions and real identity filtered through her attempts at posing as her sister. While I totally understand what Crazy!Junko meant about Mukuro not being able to act her assigned role out of a paper bag, her conversations were always pretty funny and oddly insightful, given all her references to when she was homeless can be pretty easily substituted with 'when I was in Fenrir', and all the little hints about how that affected her through that, uh, code. And even better when she forgets about it entirely, and winds up letting on far more about her real past than she meant to, and scrambles together some dumb excuse for it.

That knife-throwing anecdote is still kind of the best thing.

Honourable mention goes to Toko, who would absolutely be up there if I hadn't wound up playing School Mode and wound up being figuratively assassinated by Mukuro, Chihiro for somehow crushing my heart twice through his various deaths, and Byakuya, who I didn't exactly come to like, but did come to respect. Some of my favourite moments in the game came from him, like his 'opt out' at Sakura's trial, and his 'hope' moment in the final trial, and I think when all was said and done, Byakuya improved as a person throughout it all. I really think that tidbit about him getting all those people who haven't lost hope to work for him, and his open (if wishy-washy) offer to help out if any of them run into trouble says that much.

Yeah, most of the cast are essentially useless when it comes to investigating on their own (if it weren't for Kyoko, Makoto and Byakuya, they all would have died except for the Blackened real early on).

But I wouldn't say the latter is what happens. At least, in the very first case, Makoto is completely self-motivated because he's the prime suspect and it involved his girlfriend.

For others, there are a couple of times where he's basically under Byakuya's control and there was a time when he's assisted by Kyoko, but I wouldn't say he was being guided by others for his investigations all the time. For the most part, he usually has an internal monologue for where he should investigate next just on his own.

There are still points where it's basically Togami and Kirigiri going hey, you probably should check something over there, HINT HINT.

Though it is basically those two grooming Makoto into a half decent investigator probably because everyone else just sucked at it.

Squire

Banned
Excellent post, Moonlight.

I really don't even want to pick favorites. The whole cast is just so strong. Aside from Kyoko I actually spent the most time with Aoi. I really like what they do with Sakura. I got in one or two hangouts with Junko before she bit it and I also really, really dug her attitude.

Everyone is just so great. I'm gonna start a second run of this in a few days.

AniHawk

kyoko - she is chill as fuck. i thought she was going to keep solving the game for me at the trials and i was worried she would issun the whole game. but she backs off and it becomes more cooperative. i didn't like her reasons for telling off her dad, but making it so she was the last person to convince to believe in hope was pretty nice.

hina - just great. she seemed genuinely energetic and nice. i think what helped is that she wasn't actually stupid and naive, but her mouth would act too quickly for her brain. what helps is that she does have her wits about her most of the time (she's not a dumb motherfucker like hiro), and she isn't always super happy funtimes. we see a lot with her angry, depressed, and aloof, which gives weight to her usual happiness. she's not a one note character. oh and the english voice acting for her was my absolute favorite in the game. it felt really natural.

hiro - hiro kind of is a one-note character and he is one dumb motherfucker, but that's also what i liked in the long run. he's not supposed to be there. he doesn't really have any special talent. he's older than everyone by a couple of years. and he gives extra thought to clearly wrong and often downright stupid explanations. again, i think the voice acting worked really well here, especially when he's coming to a conclusion that couldn't possibly be feasible.

AniHawk

tumblr_n1bgkfv5Jv1qhhv13o1_1280.jpg

it adds up perfectly. sayaka maizano chose the most vulnerable person she could as a target for murder: a professional athlete who was several times stronger than her.

FluxWaveZ

it adds up perfectly. sayaka maizano chose the most vulnerable person she could as a target for murder: a professional athlete who was several times stronger than her.

Hey man, she's the Ultimate Pop Sensation, not the Ultimate Genius.

Which is why she died first.

Mondo Owada: I love Mondo because I can relate to him. I'm the eldest of three boys, so I know full well the feeling of sibling rivalry and the pressure that comes from trying to live up to the world's expectations of you based on the actions of your brothers. Like Mondo, I at one point in my life became frustrated with my inability to grow as a person and become stronger in some way, which lemme tell you is just about the most maddening feeling ever. I can also relate to his "moment of weakness," as it's something I've experienced several times before (not necessarily murder, but definitely doing or saying the wrong thing at the wrong time due to a strong emotional outburst). I believe Mondo to be one of the most tragic and twistedly noble characters in the game, as shown by his acknowledgement of his crime as heinous and unforgivable before facing his death with poise and dignity, in addition to his devotion to his friends and those whom he has made promises (I always saw his covering up of Chihiro's murder to be more a result of Mondo being so focused on keeping his promise to the deceased boy that he lost sight of the big picture; namely that he'd be sacrificing the lives of his classmates in order to preserve Chihiro's secret). Plus his lines are just awesome and he turns out to be an awesome, loyal guy once you make friends with him (as evidenced by his bromance with Taka and his free time conversations).

Aoi Asahina: I think I already explained this, but she's just so perky and upbeat that it makes me smile whenever she's onscreen. Her devotion to Sakura was also a great character trait that allowed her to develop in a realistic way without hogging the spotlight from the more major players, which in turn sparked an amazing growth during the final three chapters. Her voice is really cute, too!

Kiyotaka Ishimaru: I don't really know what to say other than he made me laugh really hard whenever he was onscreen. I suppose that his relationship with Mondo, when coupled with the revelations made in his free time conversations, make him a really tragic figure whom you really want to give a hug, but I mostly love him because of the aforementioned point. FURTHER EXPLANATION IS NOT NECESSARY IN A SCHOOL ENVIRONMENT!

Mondo was a loose cannon. First interaction with Makoto? He throws a punch for nothing and knocks him out.

He got what was coming to him.

He really mellowed out once he got to know everyone though, and his murder of Chihiro was the only one in the game that wasn't premeditated or part of a grand scheme, which makes his death all the more tragic when he accepts it gracefully.

So I suppose he "got what was coming to him," but really, he deserved his fate far less than any other villain in the game (like, a real life court would most certainly give him a lighter sentence than the rest of the murderers).

Surprised you didn't mention Kyoko or Sakura, Scrafty.

Sakura's my honorary #4 spot because she was rad as heck whist being by far the most noble and selfless character in the game.

I'll be honest that I wasn't as impressed with Kyoko as some people were, but she had some absolutely ace moments that bolster her awesomeness ("Let's show these dense motherf*ckers some logic").

Noi

Junko
Fucking
Enoshima's my favorite
(to absolutely no one's surprise).
It's been elaborated enough, but I love villains that are just truly villainous and demented without being given a pitiable reason for being so. Even though she's gone, I'm already dying to know what the ramifications of everything she set up pre and post DR1 are.

2 and 3 would be Celeste and Sakura, but really I love the whole cast, even Hifumi and dumbass Hiro. I know that DR2's overall cast is even wackier than this one, but I do love how generally well-rounded and varied the group is. I always felt the sting of each death when someone's personality that I'd gotten used to was upsetingly missing after each trial.

Sakura's my honorary #4 spot because she was rad as heck whist being by far the most noble and selfless character in the game.

I'll be honest that I wasn't as impressed with Kyoko as some people were, but she had some absolutely ace moments that bolster her awesomeness ("Let's show these dense motherf*ckers some logic").

What I liked about Kirigiri was that she was competent in a mostly poorly competent cast.

Of course that's probably mostly due to how she was written and her title probably literally being the most suited for this unless they make someone with the title Super Duper Murder Cover-uper.

Guys, i'm missing one event in the event gallery. Can anyone tell me how to get it? It's between Mystery Photo (1) and Cash Money in the gallery. Any help would be appreciated.

Guys, i'm missing one event in the event gallery. Can anyone tell me how to get it? It's between Mystery Photo (1) and Cash Money in the gallery. Any help would be appreciated.

I believe that's the Peeping Tom event.

You need the item Man's Fantasy and take up on the offer to peep on the girls in Chapter 3.

dumb bath scene in which kyoko uses an elastic towel is only redeemed by toko flying across the screen

between that and the bomb i'm pretty sure she's invincible

Top Bottom