• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Spoiler Thread - Farewell, spoiler tags of despair!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Would re-doing any of the trials on Mean (+ the more coins skill) net me a good amount of coins/be faster compared to redoing School Mode? I honestly don't feel like doing it again after I get all the character endings. Granted, it's easier now to the point I can make a back-up only a day or two after it's assigned, but damn if it doesn't feel as though it takes so long, especially when I gotta reload to get a "really good time" response or did the Trigger Happy Heart wrong.

Volcynika

Would re-doing any of the trials on Mean (+ the more coins skill) net me a good amount of coins/be faster compared to redoing School Mode? I honestly don't feel like doing it again after I get all the character endings. Granted, it's easier now to the point I can make a back-up only a day or two after it's assigned, but damn if it doesn't feel as though it takes so long, especially when I gotta reload to get a "really good time" response or did the Trigger Happy Heart wrong.

I think it would be much faster to do trials, though you don't even have to do it on Mean. I did it on Kind and with Celeste's skill I got a bit over 100 coins for being quick and right in trials. You can actually just get to the point where you get the coins (pre-execution) and then save, load save, start a trial over again. And since you can only get up to 200 coins per School Mode run (no matter how many endings) it would be much less of a hassle to do trials instead. Just get a guide and run with it.

Oh perfect timing, I was just going to ask you guys who your top 3 favorite characters were, and why

Celeste
+ Morally bankrupt schemer who sees her former classmates as little more than expendable chips / pieces to be manipulated as she sees fit.
+ Elusive history and personality, adding to her mystique as a character. Even having finished the game I'm still not entirely sure how much of what she said about her past was genuine.
+ One of the few to successfully commit premeditated murder. The most villainous character outside of Junko and (arguably) Mukuro.
+ Her performance during the chapter 3 trial was one of the game's highlights for me. Watching her facade crack, hurriedly repair itself and then gradually shatter into pieces was enthralling and partially compensated for the fact that I was effectively killing her.
+ Favourite design / appearance from the game, with or without her drills. Gothic lolita is the pinnacle of fashion.

Toko / Jill
+ Jill is manic hilarity incarnate. Her mannerisms, dialogue and actions were absolutely among my favourite of the cast.
+ Toko herself was high tier as well, largely for the humour she generated with her gloomy, introverted demeanour and fanatical devotion to Togami. Actually, the dual personalities combined were responsible for a large proportion of my laughs in the second half of the game, at least until the mastermind revealed herself.
+ One of my favourite designs, making her a worthy cover star for Book Girl and the Repressed Psychopath.
+ As an aside, I heartily approve of Jill's murderous methods. She looked sublime whenever she was posing with her trademark scissors.

Chihiro
+ Displayed admirable bravery in facing up to his inner weakness, in spite of his meek personality and the horrific circumstances the cast found themselves in.
+ Further respect due for helping his former classmates even in death through Alter Ego, culminating in his crucial protection of Makoto during the chapter 5 execution.
+ More adorable than a jute bag full of kittens.
+ General computer nerdiness. I suspect Nanami from the sequel will be popular with me for similar reasons.

Junko deserves an Honourable Mention for being a strong contender for the 'Most Batshit Fictional Character' I've ever had the pleasure of encountering. Bearing (dohoho) in mind her role as Monokuma, she was an excellent villain. I want to give Sayaka an HM as well for her manipulative deviousness - if she'd actually succeeded in killing Leon and the first trial was effectively her vs Makoto then she could well have made my top 3.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think it would be much faster to do trials, though you don't even have to do it on Mean. I did it on Kind and with Celeste's skill I got a bit over 100 coins for being quick and right in trials. You can actually just get to the point where you get the coins (pre-execution) and then save, load save, start a trial over again. And since you can only get up to 200 coins per School Mode run (no matter how many endings) it would be much less of a hassle to do trials instead. Just get a guide and run with it.
Yeah, might just do the first or second trial and hold the fast-forward button while having a guide handy to remind me of the answers. I'll have about 620 after getting all the School Mode endings, & I REALLY don't feel like doing it another 2 times.

LiK

Oh, good advice. I was thinking of redoing the trials over the School Mode for coins just because it's less tedious. School mode would be so much more fun if they would stop replaying the same annoying bell cutscene in NG+ and allowed us to skip holidays if we wanted.

Volcynika

Oh, good advice. I was thinking of redoing the trials over the School Mode for coins just because it's less tedious. School mode would be so much more fun if they would stop replaying the same annoying bell cutscene in NG+

HEY
DID YOU KNOW
IT'S NIGHTTIME?

My Top 3:

Byakuya
Why? Because he's the guy who actually wanted to play this game. From the point in the first chapter when he establishes that he's going to beat everyone, you're always looking out for when he's going to pull a fast one on you. Much as he established Makoto/myself as his main adversary in this game, I established him in the same role. He was always the guy I was trying to beat, and it was satisfying to see him up against a wall in certain scenarios. But he was always what made the cases interesting, in particular the second trial which he pretty much did for shits and giggles. He was effectively the Miles Edgeworth of the game.

Sakura
I really don't think this one needs explaining. She is introduced as being so ridiculously over the top in her design, that when the writers managed to give her one of the best character developments I've ever seen, it probably should have come as a huge shock. But there you have it, she refused to betray her friends in spite of the threats, and she died to take on the sins of her friends and herself, making her the noblest character of the group in light of everything. She unified the remaining cast members through her death, and it would take Junko a tremendous amount of effort to tear a wedge between them following it. So, even in her death, she proved to be one of the most influential characters in the game.

Celeste
I probably had to think about this list way harder than I should have, but I guess I just didn't want to fall into the rut of picking Celeste because she fits into the gothic lolita schtick. However, Celeste is definitely one of my favorites for more than just that; well, I wouldn't even consider her looks in this equation to be honest. There was a point early on in the third chapter where I figured out she had pulled a fast one on Hifumi. But, I couldn't pinpoint her motives. Even by the end of it, I was left trying to understand what exactly motivated her. She described it best herself, though: she'd always been trying to get out, but the money was probably the best excuse that was going to come along. And throughout the whole thing, her "Ultimate Gambler" persona had been present in the most subtle manner: she was impossible to read, right until the end. She pulled off the premeditated murder bit with an almost unreal amount of emotional detachment.

LiK

^Byakuya fucking with Chihuro's corpse put him on my shit list. I don't mind snobby arrogant characters but that was just sick.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
^Byakuya fucking with Chihuro's corpse put him on my shit list. I don't mind snobby arrogant characters but that was just sick.

I agree.

His involvement made the game better, but he's not a redeemable character in my opinion.

I really don't get the Miles Edgeworth comparisons. They're miles apart.

Dang, I guess I'm the only one who really liked Mondo.

It's interesting to see the spread of favourites, though. Have any official popularity contests been held for this game and its sequel yet ?

Trigger

My top 3 would be Kyoko, Aoi, and Byakuya.

Kyoko and Byakuya makes the list for providing competent perspectives on the different murders and trials. I also like the contrast between the two. Aoi makes my top 3 for feeling like the most normal of the students. Her talent isn't weird ( moral compass? pop sensation? whaa?), and her reactions feel like something a normal student would experience.

-How was コロシアイ (mutual killing) translated? Orenronen used "mutual killing", Project Zetsubou used "Coliseum" - does the official game treat it as a special term with a consistent translation, or is it more ad-hoc?

Though I believe there's some variation, "killing game" is the term primarily used.

PK Gaming

I agree.

His involvement made the game better, but he's not a redeemable character in my opinion.

I really don't get the Miles Edgeworth comparisons.
I'll be the first to admit that it was a weak comparison to make in the first place.

That said, I still completely disagree with your main assertion. Byakuya was redeemed in chapter 4, and you see him change as a character in chapter 6. Not completely mind you, but enough to make him into a remotely likable character.

They're miles apart.
Eaa4a40.jpg

kewlmyc

It's interesting to see the spread of favourites, though. Have any official popularity contests been held for this game and its sequel yet ?
Mondo is my second favorite male after Ishimaru. He would have been 4th or 5th on my list.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'll be the first to admit that it was a weak comparison to make in the first place.

That said, I still completely disagree with your main assertion. Byakuya was redeemed in chapter 4, and you see him change as a character in chapter 6. Not completely mind you, but enough to make him into a remotely likable character.

:p

We've been down this road. I can't say I agree, especially when you consider his Report Card data.

I agree.

I really don't get the Miles Edgeworth comparisons. They're miles apart.

Byakuya reminds me more of Blue from Pokemon, in that they are both extremely egotistical and think they can do no wrong (and that I want to punch him in the face).

My 3 favorite characters... hmmm. In no particular order:

Sakura - I really wasn't expecting to like Sakura as much as I thought, but she really was cool and surprisingly one of the most level-headed characters in the game. I was shocked to find out that she was the spy but the fact that she decided that her friends were far more important to her to the point that she willingly sacrificed herself definitely pushed it for me. One of the best.

Hina - I was happy that Hina survived, since she came across as one of the most genuinely nice characters in the game. I was surprised at the plan she hatched in Chapter 4, but at the same time I couldn't blame her because she was so close to Sakura and Monokuma was simply playing with her emotions by swapping the suicide note.

After this it gets a little tricky. I'm torn between Kyoko and Mondo.

Kyoko - Love the detective-ness she brings to the table. She was level-headed like Sakura but had a different air to her. Some of the revelations about her were kinda lame, like her ultimate ability and the secret about what was hidden under her gloves, but I found it difficult to not like her.

Mondo - I thought Mondo was cool. I was disappointed in the outcome of Chapter 2 but then again it was also the only chapter where I didn't foresee who the blackened was before the trial. I also respected him in that he decided not to drag out the class trial longer than necessary once the truth was revealed.

kewlmyc

It's a cast of sixteen, not counting Monokuma. You could afford to do a top 5 rather than 3.

God Tier: Monokuma (pretty sure he's everyone's favorite so, I won't technically count him)
1. Ishimaru
2. Sakura
3. Kyoko
4. Celeste (solely on design and voice acting)
5. Mondo

I like Mondo and he's like the top of the honorable mentions list.

Give me a moment, I remember seeing a popularity contest result after the anime aired.

All I remember was the top 3 which was:

1. Togami
2. Makoto
3. Ishimaru

So leads me to believe Toko voted a lot, then it was the protagonist syndrome of being popular and finally everyone knew who was the best character.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Hina - I was happy that Hina survived, since she came across as one of the most genuinely nice characters in the game. I was surprised at the plan she hatched in Chapter 4, but at the same time I couldn't blame her because she was so close to Sakura and Monokuma was simply playing with her emotions by swapping the suicide note.

Chapter 4 was heartbreaking for that very reason.

For a while, I was terrified that Byakuya had tricked Aoi into accidentally poisoning Sakura... and that she would be executed for unknowingly murdering her best friend. Ugh, I would have had to take a breather after something like that.

PK Gaming

:p

We've been down this road. I can't say I agree, especially when you consider his Report Card data.

Yeah, I don't think we'll ever agree haha.

That said, what does his Report Card data have to do with his character development in the story? The report card sequences are just an abridged history of the character, and they clearly don't reflect his character change after certain events in the story. In fact, the RC data serves the show a contrast between the way he was before he was stuck in the killing game, not after.

LiK

Byakuya comes off like a bigger asshole in his School mode ending. I find him a really repulsive character. They did a good job making him incredibly unlikable.

kewlmyc

I like Mondo and he's like the top of the honorable mentions list.

Give me a moment, I remember seeing a popularity contest result after the anime aired.

All I remember was the top 3 which was:

1. Togami
2. Makoto
3. Ishimaru

So leads me to believe Toko voted a lot, then it was the protagonist syndrome of being popular and finally everyone knew who was the best character.
I know there was one that happen when the original game was releases on PSP, before all the novels and the sequel. I have the results saved on my computer at home, but I'm out of town right now. Will post it when I get back in town. Remember Chihiro was #1 though.

There was also one for both games as well. The top 5 were: Komaeda, Makoto, Hinata, Kyoko, and Nanami. I need to look for the source when I get back in town as well.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yeah, I don't think we'll ever agree haha.

That said, what does his Report Card data have to do with his character development in the story? The report card sequences are just an abridged history of the character, and they clearly don't reflect his character change after certain events in the story. In fact, the RC data serves the show a contrast between the way he was before he was stuck in the killing game, not after.

What I mean is that the Report Card gives you insight into his background and behavior that already existed. It further cements that he didn't really change. The guy has a gameplan and motivations, and is only cooperative when it serves his needs. It's self-serving. None of that changes. In fact, his response to the Byakuya legacy being gone is in perfect accordance with his past. It doesn't change his perspective. He is constantly testing people and providing as much occlusion as he does clarity.

He's one relative constant in the game, and his actual character isn't softened for me. The main difference at the end is that you get more exposure to him.

LProtag

Can someone help me get an avatar of Byakuya pushing up his glasses? I'm kinda terrified of searching for the sprite because I know I will run into more DR2 spoilers with my luck.

Also I figured that, you know, the wikipedia article for characters from the first game would lack spoilers since there was a separate page for characters in the second game but nope, ran into another spoiler.

LiK

What I mean is that the Report Card gives you insight into his background and behavior. The guy has a gameplan and motivations, and is only cooperative when it serves his needs. It's self-serving. None of that changes. In fact, his response to the Byakuya legacy being gone is in perfect accordance with his past. It doesn't change his perspective. He is constantly testing people and providing as much occlusion as he does clarity.

He's one relative constant in the game, and his actual character isn't softened for me. The main difference at the end is that you get more exposure to him.

Yea, he never became a friend to anyone and continues to use people for his own means. Even when Makoto was outthinking him in the final trial, he wouldn't admit to his own weaknesses with his strategy, iirc.

I know there was one that happen when the original game was releases on PSP, before all the novels and the sequel. I have the results saved on my computer at home, but I'm out of town right now. Will post it when I get back in town. Remember Chihiro was #1 though.

There was also one for both games as well. The top 5 were: Komaeda, Makoto, Hinata, Kyoko, and Nanami. I need to look for the source when I get back in town as well.

Here's the result for both games. I remember seeing this on Twitter yesterday, haha.

Though not sure if it is the same since Makoto and Komaeda switched places.

Oh I guess if you don't want to know anything about SDR2, you shouldn't look at that page. :p

Can someone help me get an avatar of Byakuya pushing up his glasses? I'm kinda terrified of searching for the sprite because I know I will run into more DR2 spoilers with my luck.

Also I figured that, you know, the wikipedia article for characters from the first game would lack spoilers since there was a separate page for characters in the second game but nope, ran into another spoiler.

Something like this?

fHcKPyR.png

I learned my lesson after getting spoiled on Junko and later Chihori*. I ain't looking up NUDDIN' on DR2.

Chapter 4 was heartbreaking for that very reason.

For a while, I was terrified that Byakuya had tricked Aoi into accidentally poisoning Sakura... and that she would be executed for unknowingly murdering her best friend. Ugh, I would have had to take a breather after something like that.

I considered that possibility as well, along with the possibility of suicide, although I thought the game wouldn't seriously go with the latter. I was pleasantly(?) surprised to see that it did, however.

Top Bottom