• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Spoiler Thread - Farewell, spoiler tags of despair!

Also I figured that, you know, the wikipedia article for characters from the first game would lack spoilers since there was a separate page for characters in the second game but nope, ran into another spoiler.

The problem is that you tried to check the wiki page of characters that could still have a role in the story one way or another.

Levito

Banned
Top 3 favorite characters:

1.) Kyoko

Kyoko had an interesting Obi-wan mention like quality to her character. She was always one step ahead of you during the class trials, without seeming like she just magically knew how every event played out.

Though it was the chapter 5 trial that really made me love her. I was heartbroken when it felt like she was the killer, as I'd become very attached to the character, and it was even more heartbreaking sending her to her death. Though, even though you (sort of) end up taking the fall for her, it was that moment where she said "I don't expect you to forgive me" that she became my absolute favourite. It's pretty twisted that she was willing to let you die for the sake of the investigation--you could tell she hated doing it, but it was somewhat of a necessary evil. It really humanized her character, and showed she wasn't always in control of things, she was just live everyone else, at the mercy of the mastermind.

The whole backstory regarding her father too, goddamn if all of that wasn't awfully depressing too.

2.) Mondo

Initially, I wasn't much of a fan of Mondo. He just seemed like your stereotypical "muscle" type of character. It wasn't till after he was revealed to be the murderer in the second case that made me love him. Despite his viscous murder of Chihiro, the details after the fact made me sympahize with quite a bit. He's arguably the most tragic character in the whole story. I also appricate the fact that he was courageous enough to actually admit he was the killer, rather than waste everyone's time.

The whole situation with Chihiro and Mondo also cemented how fucking evil Monokuma(Junko) was.

3.) Junko

Looking bad on the game, I can't help but consistently compare Junko to The Joker. It's quite a feat to create a character the simultaneously hilarious, and fucking revolting. (I'm counting the time that she was controlling Monokuma btw) Like really, if you look bad on the whole game, her character only becomes more and more vile. The things she did to entice the others to murder was fucked up beyond measure. The only reason she isn't higher on the list, is because I found her backstory of "being born into despair" to be very cliche and sloppy for a game with writing this good.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The only reason she isn't higher on the list, is because I found her backstory of "being born into despair" to be very cliche and sloppy for a game with writing this good.

I haven't read it yet, but isn't this sort of elaborated on in DR:Zero?

LiK

Actually, Kyoko felt like Sherlock to me and Makoto was her Watson. In fact, now I know what Watson feels lol

PK Gaming

What I mean is that the Report Card gives you insight into his background and behavior. The guy has a gameplan and motivations, and is only cooperative when it serves his needs. It's self-serving. None of that changes. In fact, his response to the Byakuya legacy being gone is in perfect accordance with his past. It doesn't change his perspective. He is constantly testing people and providing as much occlusion as he does clarity.

The main difference at the end is that you get more exposure to him.

Except his decision to cooperate with the group wasn't brought on by some motivation to win or to get ahead. He was legitimately moved by Sakura's sacrifice (after he almost completely bungled the trial for not having a good understanding of other people). Kyoko says as much after he loses, and he doesn't even get mad at Aoi for trying to kill him.
aOc8nOi.jpg

And what's the first thing he does after quitting the killing game? He starts showing up to breakfast meetings and interacting with the members group, something he'd never, ever consider doing in the past. By his own admission, it was pointless, but he starts doing it anyway, which leads me to believe that he changed from the way he was during the early parts of the game.

I'd argue that his report card persona so far removed from how he is by the end of the game, given how treats Makoto (you're completely worthless) VS how he treats him in the story (grudgingly admits that he's useful), and his general demeanor (he's a massive douche during his RC sequences, it's embarrassing)

You can't keep saying that nothing changes when this happens.

It's a fact that he becomes less abrasive by the end of the game.

joe2187

Banned
I like that fact that our last hope for the world includes, A humongous asshole, A literal genocidal maniac, and Shaggy from scooby doo

I feel like half the characters that survive will bring more despair than hope.

Oh, that's the only way I can survive. Be a prick/a homicidal coo coo/be dumb beyond all believe.

Einbroch

Banned
Beat it. Unfortunate that the group photo made is incredibly obvious who the mastermind was. I knew after I saw the photo for the very first time. I knew it was Junko, but I was pretty stumped on the ol' switcheroo. I just thought that maybe Junko was actually not killed by the spikes.

Overall I quite enjoyed it a lot, but it was very easy and then suddenly impossible. Maybe I wasn't thinking things through correctly, but the whole "contradiction" part of the trials was unfair, especially when you had to convert phrases into ammo. Why wouldn't this piece of evidence contradict their statement? Oh, because the game wants ANOTHER phrase instead of the one I thought made sense (and does).

It was a major source of frustration and made it seem like a guessing game.

I may seem like I didn't like the game, but I really did. That part just bugged me, and frankly, it bugged me a lot.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Except his decision to cooperate with the group wasn't brought on by some motivation to win or to get ahead. He was legitimately moved by Sakura's sacrifice (after he almost completely bungled the trial for not having a good understanding of other people). Kyoko says as much after he loses, and he doesn't even get mad at Aoi for trying to kill him.

And what's the first thing he does after quitting the killing game? He starts showing up to breakfast meetings and interacting with the members group, something he'd never, ever consider doing in the past. By his own admission, it was pointless, but he starts doing it anyway, which leads me to believe that he changed from the way he was during the early parts of the game.

I'd argue that his report card persona so far removed from how he is by the end of the game, given how treats Makoto (you're completely worthless) VS how he treats him in the story (grudgingly admits that he's useful), and his general demeanor (he's a massive douche during his RC sequences, it's embarrassing)

You can't keep saying that nothing changes when this happens.

It's a fact that he becomes less abrasive by the end of the game.

Nothing changes. You just see more of Byakuya that didn't get to before, but that doesn't mean he learned anything. That just means that you like what you uncovered, and found it less abrasive. I didn't.

He doesn't get mad at Aoi trying to kill him? Of course. That'd be out of character. The same character he is throughout the entire game.

I don't trust a damn thing Byakuya says. He's lied to Makoto, Jill, Kyoko, and the rest of the cast countless times throughout the course of the game. I'm not convinced that there's some motivational change based on two snippets of dialogue. In the beginning, he's more standoffish simply because he's gauging the group: identifying marks, losers, and dangerous entities. It's wise to be at a distance.

He starts showing up more during meetings because it is in his best interest to. As the group becomes smaller, he can play his own game better if he can observe the people around him. At this point, he has a good bead on all those around him, so he knows who he needs to be wary of. His recognition of Makoto and Kyoko's deductive reasoning isn't him being a nice guy. It's him recognzing a potential weakness in himself, a potential threat in others, and wanting to keep that threat closeby.

In the end, he recognizes the potentiality of a post-apocalyptic world once those doors open. And at that point he indicates he'd be receptive to hearing warnings/messages from others. That's his redemption? Fuck him. He doesn't get points for trying to understand Sakura/Aoi's emotions just because he recognizes that's a critical component that's missing from his deductive reasoning and logic.

LiK

Makoto did say he's normal and average in every way so he was supposed to suck. His room had nothing in it compared to everyone else. A blank slate. :p

Squire

Banned
I think I jumped the gun. On my favorites. I'll have to post again.

I think it's actually Kyoko, Hina, and Junko for a lot of the reasons posted. Celeste and Byakuya are runners up.

PK Gaming

Nothing changes. You just see more of Byakuya that didn't get to before, but that doesn't mean he learned anything. That just means that you like what you uncovered, and found it less abrasive. I didn't.

He doesn't get mad at Aoi trying to kill him? Of course. That'd be out of character. The same character he is throughout the entire game.

I don't trust a damn thing Byakuya says. He's lied to Makoto, Jill, Kyoko, and the rest of the cast countless times throughout the course of the game. I'm not convinced that there's some motivational change based on two snippets of dialogue. In the beginning, he's more standoffish simply because he's gauging the group: identifying marks, losers, and dangerous entities. It's wise to be at a distance.

He starts showing up more during meetings because it is in his best interest to. As the group becomes smaller, he can play his own game better if he can observe the people around him. At this point, he has a good bead on all those around him, so he knows who he needs to be wary of. His recognition of Makoto and Kyoko's deductive reasoning isn't him being a nice guy. It's him recognzing a potential weakness in himself, a potential threat in others, and wanting to keep that threat closeby.

In the end, he recognizes the potentiality of a post-apocalyptic world once those doors open. And at that point he indicates he'd be receptive to hearing warnings/messages from others. That's his redemption? Fuck him. He doesn't get points for trying to understand someone with emotions just because he recognizes that's a critical component that's missing from his deductive reasoning and logic.

I don't think I agreed with your assessment at all...

We just have irreconcilable differences in our interpretation of his character.

The only way to settle this is to see how he turns out in SDR2.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I don't think I agreed with your assessment at all...

We just have irreconcilable differences in our interpretation of his character.

The only way to settle this is to see how he turns out in SDR2.

Hopefully in a grave.

And frankly, nothing in SDR2 would convince me he's changed in this game unless they retcon. Only that he's a different person in SDR2.

If it makes you feel better, I'll concede that he changes a little bit because he recognizes his own weakness. I still don't consider that redemption or him being less abrasive.

I'm experiencing Ultimate Despair here, guys. I'm almost done doing all the trophy stuff in DR and DR2 is still so far away. What am I going to do during all these months?

Levito

Banned
I'm experiencing Ultimate Despair here, guys. I'm almost done doing all the trophy stuff in DR and DR2 is still so far away. What am I going to do during all these months?

It's one of those games that really makes you miss it after the fact.

I'd suggest taking up murder as a hobby.

I kept mistakenly reading his name as Makoto Nanaya...and It made the game more amusing.

Makoto as a cat would have made the game more amusing.

Makoto did say he's normal and average in every way so he was supposed to suck. His room had nothing in it compared to everyone else. A blank slate. :p

I think that was pretty jarring once I got into other people's room and noticed that people bothered decorating their room compared to Makoto who just collects weaponary used to harm people...

One's voiced by Shinji Ikari, the other isn't.

More people should like the guy who's voiced by Detective Conan. Maybe that explains why he's a lot more competent.

Other games/VNs of similar style? Unless of course you have done em all!
Maybe i'll replay the ZE series and lament the fact that the third will never be made.

It's one of those games that really makes you miss it after the fact.

I'd suggest taking up murder as a hobby.
This also sounds like a good idea.

Have your memories wiped and play it again.
Hrm. Anyone good with hypnosis?

Here you go, pal.

Saya no Uta.
Wut.

I think that was pretty jarring once I got into other people's room and noticed that people bothered decorating their room compared to Makoto who just collects weaponary used to harm people...

Yo, No lie: I'm not quite finished with Chapter 6 yet, but I am spoiled on the mastermind.

When they kept bringing up the one of us thing, my first thought was, "lol Byakuya did it!"

Then I remembered the damn stockpile Makoto had. Tool kit, knife, replica sword? And he keeps sleeping for long ass times?

... He should've been the damn mastermind :p

I WANT FULL DESPAIR NOW

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yo, No lie: I'm not quite finished with Chapter 6 yet, but I am spoiled on the mastermind.

When they kept bringing up the one of us thing, my first thought was, "lol Byakuya did it!"

Then I remembered the damn stockpile Makoto had. Tool kit, knife, replica sword? And he keeps sleeping for long ass times?

... He should've been the damn mastermind :p

I WANT FULL DESPAIR NOW

Too cliche, mayne.

OH DEAR ME, don't remind me of that, I'm gonna be having nightmares for the rest of my life about that.
The worst about that execution, is that it make whole of lot sense in context of what their referencing.

Yeah, I totally didn't expect them to pull a Little Black Sambo reference, especially considering how reviled that story is in certain circles.

I'd say that, in terms of pain: being crushed into paste by G-force > burning up upon reentry into the atmosphere > being beaten to death by baseballs > being compacted in a crusher > being schmucked by a firetruck

Aw, I liked Makoto despite his mediocrity. He's an everyman in a world filled with caricatures. His normalcy only served to better pronounce the truly exceptional.

I liked him too. He kept getting his ass whooped mentally and physically, and kept it rolling.

Also, can I say that the most morbid implication in the whole game was the Chapter 5 Bad End:

Kyoko dies horribly
The mystery is never solved
Hina basically gets passed around (this is the worst part)
The mastermind lives, probably in complete solitude since they can't reveal themselves
Toko transforms into a photograph
Etc

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Saya no uta GOLDEN edition coming to Vita this winter.

You don't want to know what the pre-order bonus is.

Also, can I say that the most morbid implication in the whole game was the Chapter 5 Bad End:

Kyoko dies horribly
The mystery is never solved
Hina basically gets passed around (this is the worst part)
The mastermind lives, probably in complete solitude since they can't reveal themselves
Toko transforms into a photograph
Etc

On the plus side, Hiro's prediction rate goes up.

Top Bottom