• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Spoiler Thread - Farewell, spoiler tags of despair!

LiK

I don't feel bad for him at all. If he was so stupid as to get coerced into a zero-sum game by someone who was cited as being the most untrustworthy person in the group, then perhaps death was a mercy upon his sad little life. He's probably just one of Gundam's hamsters mutated by ooze anyways, so it's not like his life had much purpose to it.

I tried really hard to like Hifumi more this playthrough, and while he had some funny moments and I really liked his dub VA, he's just such a scummy person. I mean, often some of my favorite characters end up being the big losers, like Hiro and Toko, but Hifumi is just gross to the core. I couldn't muster any positive feelings about him.

That's a grave disservice to Gundam's hamsters!

Hifumi could have had some real depth if they did more with him. You could see shades of it with how he talked about Alter Ego not judging him when telling it about his hobbies. Too bad that's as far as they go. Even maxing his social link doesn't make him any more sympathetic.

Re: Hifumi

I actually liked Hifumi at first. Sure he came across as gross and socially awkward, but he was also funny and genuine (his interactions with the other characters were generally great. There was definitely a certain charm to his character in the first few days. That quickly changed after chapter 3 when was outed as massive, massive scumbag. Blindly, stupidly trusting in Celeste, killing Taka, and conspiring to fuck over everyone in the group. And for what? More time with his precious waifu? Because of hearsay from Celeste? Not to mention his whole obsession with Alter Ego nearly cost the group their one and only trump card against Monokuma. Oh yeah, he had the gall to refer to his illicit weapons as "Justice Hammers"

Fuck Hifumi

Now and forever

I was actually thinking the same thing as I was doing his free time events. They were definitely on the right track when they had him talking about how he wants to create characters and tell stories that make people happy, as that's how he found meaning in life despire his loneliness, but when they intermittently stick implications about the gross things he does, it all sorta fell flat for me.

His interactions with Alter Ego could've also had potential, but the relationship primarily being creepy and sexual on his side just ended up turning me off on him even more. And I'll even give him the benefit of the doubt about his murder motive and assume it was more to do with Celeste's accusations about Taka.

good points everyone. He's actually much better in School Mode. You can see what his dream was and stuff. Wish they didn't make him as slimy as he was in the main game. And yes, the obsession with Alter Ego was just plain creepy considering it's the face and voice of Chihiro.

Oh I missed out on the Yamada hate train.

I'll just add he's one of the most stupid and emotionally driven characters in the game. I mean, if you just think about Celeste's plan, he was doomed to fail.

I'll kill someone, you'll kill someone and there's no way we can get caught? To avoid suspicion, I'll pretend to be dead and then miraculously make a recovery? I really don't see how on earth could he have even gotten away with it. I mean I know most of the cast is dumb, but not this dumb.

And he was completely creepy with Alter Ego. I mean it is literally Chihiro in a computer that doesn't tear up in front of you when he's scared. I'm sure the real Chihiro would have been fine with listening about your loner otaku life.

I watched all of DanganRonpa abridged yesterday, oh my god it is gold

Weaboo Maizono annoyed the hell out of me, good god

Also, I think it was SolarKnight who said in the OT if I wanted to feel worse about Leon, I should read the manga. So I did.

...Fuck, man. :p

I figure this question is more easily answerable in here:

Who was the best VA in the game?

I say Celeste for one line; the laugh or spit one.

PK Gaming

I watched all of DanganRonpa abridged yesterday, oh my god it is gold

Weaboo Maizono annoyed the hell out of me, good god

Also, I think it was SolarKnight who said in the OT if I wanted to feel worse about Leon, I should read the manga. So I did.

...Fuck, man. :p

I figure this question is more easily answerable in here:

What.. did you just say...? To think you'd take your false accusations so far-I DON'T KNOW WHETHER TO LAUGH OR SPIT! COME ON! ENOUGH WITH YOUR IDIOTIC BLATHER! YASUHIRO IS A LOSER'S NAME. DO I LOOK LIKE A LOSER TO YOU? WELL? DO I?

Squire

Banned
Re: Hifumi

I actually liked Hifumi at first. Sure he came across as gross and socially awkward, but he was also funny and genuine (his interactions with the other characters were generally great. There was definitely a certain charm to his character in the first few days. That quickly changed after chapter 3 when was outed as massive, massive scumbag. Blindly, stupidly trusting in Celeste, killing Taka, and conspiring to fuck over everyone in the group. And for what? More time with his precious waifu? Because of hearsay from Celeste? Not to mention his whole obsession with Alter Ego nearly cost the group their one and only trump card against Monokuma. Oh yeah, he had the gall to refer to his illicit weapons as "Justice Hammers"

Fuck Hifumi

Now and forever

This is what's so great about this game. These characters are so compelling. You love hard and hate just as intensely. It's so hard to move people that way.

In cementing my thoughts on the game in the past few days, I got over my hate for Junko and the fact I had to do that tells me how great a villain she really is. She's the absolute best I've encountered in a game in a long, long time. That's what really makes her one of my favorite characters.

Btw, Alfred's famous like popped into my head about halfway though the game. The Joker comparison some of you made really is spot on.

jaxword

Does it seem like Celeste's "angry" face is censored? She's pointing her hand and finger at the camera, but it's...not the middle finger.

Labrys

Does it seem like Celeste's "angry" face is censored? She's pointing her hand and finger at the camera, but it's...not the middle finger.

5%28196%29.png

it was like that in the japanese version, no censoring

Squire

Banned

It's not censored. That type of ring is most typically worn on the forefinger.

Also, that ring is begging to be merchandise IRL.

Moonlight

Banned

I'd have to agree, honestly. Celeste's VA, anonymous as she is, was absolutely astounding. The way she picked up and dropped that accent, and back again, mid-sentence was nothing short of incredible.

Aside from that, I've always been a fan of Cassandra Morris for all the warmth and sincerity that she tends to inject into her characters, and that's no different for her part as Aoi. A big shout-out to Erin, too, for killing it with not only one, but two utter psychopaths. Had so much fun listening to her cut loose with Genocide Jill, especially during the trial she revealed herself in, and on that note, Amanda Miller turned in an amazing job, too - crazy to think that she played the most withdrawn character in the game, and one of the most explosive characters in the game at the same time. Feep did an awesome job with Byakuya, as well. He really managed to sell the casual superiority and sardonic wit to the character.

...man, the dub actors in general turned in a fucking stellar job.

My goddamn favorite sequence in the whole game. SO GODDAMN GOOD. I wish we knew who it was. Damn you unions! :(

Either Feep, Erin Fitzgerald for her amazing Genocide Jack and OmniJunko, or Sean Chiplock for making Taka so endearing.

Oooh, I forgot about Junko too..I have a question. Are the four voices she does supposed to be some of the remaining survivors?!

I'd have to agree, honestly. Celeste's VA, anonymous as she is, was absolutely astounding. The way she picked up and dropped that accent, and back again, mid-sentence was nothing short of incredible.

The facade slowly crumbling...then immediately getting built back up. So good.

THEN at the end where she's just normal. Oh man.

Oooh, Aoi and Jill were really good dark horse characters too...Jill with the random web address in one of the debates had me ROLLING

Dub of the forever!

Either Feep, Erin Fitzgerald for her amazing Genocide Jack and OmniJunko, or Sean Chiplock for making Taka so endearing.

Adding to the list of good VAs above, I rather liked Aoi's as well. Just the right amount of bubbly for that character.

Sakura's was good too. It was definitely the weirdest one but after chapter 4, it's hard for me to not associate that voice with her now.

Dugna

Her finger cover is on the pointer finger why would she use her middle finger? It's like a blade so it's more of a threat then a middle finger.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
From the English cast, I'd give it to either Erin Fitzgerald or Aoi's VA.

From the Japanese cast, probably Genocide Jill, Junko, or Kyoko.

I mean self-censored, just like the blood, by the artists.

It just seems like an odd gesture.

I think the implication is that she's going to claw your face off.

I just beat the game & my mind is really screwed up.

Junko & her sister...I really find it hard to believe they did everything themselves. I'm also compelled to know what The Tragedy actually is.

Also I was going through character art & I see some dude in a labcoat. Who the heck is that? Did I miss something on my 1st playthrough on normal?

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Aside from that, I've always been a fan of Cassandra Morris for all the warmth and sincerity that she tends to inject into her characters, and that's no different for her part as Aoi. A big shout-out to Erin, too, for killing it with not only one, but two utter psychopaths. Had so much fun listening to her cut loose with Genocide Jill, especially during the trial she revealed herself in, and on that note, Amanda Miller turned in an amazing job, too - crazy to think that she played the most withdrawn character in the game, and one of the most explosive characters in the game at the same time. Feep did an awesome job with Byakuya, as well. He really managed to sell the casual superiority and sardonic wit to the character.

Remember when people were judging the dub and saying how horrible it was based off the one-liners from the introductions?

That was fun.

LiK

I just beat the game & my mind is really screwed up.

Junko & her sister...I really find it hard to believe they did everything themselves. I'm also compelled to know what The Tragedy actually is.

Also I was going through character art & I see some dude in a labcoat. Who the heck is that? Did I miss something on my 1st playthrough on normal?

wait for the sequel. and don't wiki anything.

I like all the characters, but I would say the weakest IMO is Taka.

You're in the wrong thread. This is the Kiyotaka Ishimaru memorial thread.

Are you talking about him?
xkm7YGl.png

He's the Ultimate Botanist that Monokuma mentions when you first visit the garden.

He's long dead.

kewlmyc

Remember when people were judging the dub and saying how horrible it was based off the one-liners from the introductions?

That was fun.

Puhuhu....

It's a damn good job. Not totally satisfied with it, but still a damn good job. My only problem was with Bryce. It sounded like halfassed it in the first 3 chapters or so.

Just finished this. I liked it, but the writers definitely dropped the ball in trying to tie up the plot strands. I can go along with non-explanations to an extent, like Monokuma wiping everyone's memories for two years and then, when pressed for the "how," saying: "Does it matter how I did it? You wouldn't believe me anyway." A little lame, but sure. But then the game completely ditches explaining any of its outlandish scenarios. How could Junko take over the airwaves of the entire world? How did she assemble the manpower to destroy the entire world, to a state where even the air isn't clean to breathe? It really cheapens a game that is all about details, and with explanations that are far too empty and abstract. Yes, the entire world destroyed itself through "despair" -- never mind how, or in what form. Perhaps comparison isn't fair, but 999 and VLR are so immaculate in their details and mysteries that when the ball of yarn gets pulled apart it is truly mindblowing. This was enjoyable, but clearly in a lower class. Beyond the unsatisfying nature of the ending, there are points in the plot where it feels like convenient clues/details were added afterward to make the mysteries cohere.

I liked a good deal of the cast. Byakuya was an interesting case for me -- more than being an asshole, he is truly scum in the way he treats people. The way he strung up Chihiro's body was maddening. But I couldn't help but admire his lack of bias, and like someone here already said, he made a great foil to both Makoto and Kyoko. It's too bad he doesn't develop more throughout the game; he literally only warms up a little in his last two lines. Kyoko, Aoi, and Sakura are my favorites (as seems common) because they have their own admirable traits, but also moments of weakness and resolution, and none of them fall into the pitfalls of their respective stereotypes.

Then there's characters like Taka, Hifumi, Yasuhiro, and Touko who never really get their due development, which is odd since all four of them are alive for a considerable amount of time (if not to the end of the game). Taka's death just felt weirdly unproductive, as if they needed to kill off a character and the rest were too valuable (except not, because... Yasuhiro?). The only reason why Taka died was because it gave Hifumi motive, but his weird Mondo-embodiment transformation is never resolved. For all the time he spends despairing over Mondo's death, I thought the game would give him a full character arc. Why not stretch, pick apart, and flesh out the "Ultimate Moral Compass" point for all its worth? It's like he dies halfway through his development. Hifumi doesn't go anywhere and just ends up being unlikable, frustratingly true to the stereotype he embodies, and not particularly funny. Yasuhiro did little except lighten the mood, which I suppose is something, but he was so selfish and panicky that I couldn't bring myself to care about him. He's the kind of character who would benefit from being able to be dependable or insightful in the darkest moments, but he doesn't really offer that either. And lastly, Touko -- well, it seems like people here thought she was funny, but I just found both incarnations of her to be just as repulsive as most of the cast seemed to feel she was. That the game so openly acknowledges this is interesting, but the game never capitalizes on this emotion. The "hope" sequence of the final trial battle really lost some of its punch with her worthless spiel in it.

A lot of complaining for a game I claim to like -- and I do. It's an interesting premise, and even though the cases are pretty easy as far as mysteries go, the game goes out of its way to subvert your expectations in each case. The music was great, to my surprise, and the game does an excellent job of setting up a grotesque, unsettling atmosphere as opposed to an outright scary or intense one. Those first two executions are emblematic of this -- they're just deeply disturbing, exaggerated and cartoonish in juxtaposition with gruesome death. That's something I can't say I've seen in a game before. It's remarkably well-paced, with a story that keeps moving at every moment, and the fact that the mysteries here are all connected to the murders of real people -- as opposed to the roadblock, tension-killing puzzles in the aforementioned 999 and VLR -- really helps to keep the fire burning.

Ultimately the problem, if there is one, is that the plot and characterization don't live up to their potential. That's not the fault of the writing, which is usually pretty sharp, but the plotting, meaning the potential is always there -- and making this game all the more frustrating for me. Motivations and explanations are far too abstract in the final case, which makes the denouement much less satisfying. Characters are, on the whole, either good or worthless, which with the exception of Byakuya is dependent on whether or not the game gives them a full character arc to work with. It's impossible to make a completely satisfying cast out of a roster of fifteen plus, but with some of them it feels like they just stopped trying at all.

It's a great Battle Royale setup rife with potential for memorable characters, mysteries, and scenes, and I'm glad we're getting the next one. I just hope the sequel is a little more confidently written and a little more satisfying in its characterization and mysteries. I'll be waiting patiently for fall.

dkoy

I asked in the OT and was redirected here so now I'm asking here...

How do I unlock the last cinematic which appears after the epilogue cinematic in the extras list? And there's also another picture that is not yet unlockable for me despite having finished the game. The picture is somewhere around the middle of the list in the extras section. All help appreciated.

I think someone implied/told me that you have to get an item from the mono machine thingy? is that right?

LiK

Could have been longer! I wasn't expecting Danganronpa 2 in English until at least next year!

i know! so incredibly happy. NISA is really doing a phenomenal job with this series.

I asked in the OT and was redirected here so now I'm asking here...

How do I unlock the last cinematic which appears after the epilogue cinematic in the extras list? And there's also another picture that is not yet unlockable for me despite having finished the game. The picture is somewhere around the middle of the list in the extras section. All help appreciated.

I think someone implied/told me that you have to get an item from the mono machine thingy? is that right?

you need to get the Escape Button present from the vending machine.

Top Bottom