• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Spoiler Thread - Farewell, spoiler tags of despair!

LiK

i'm glad i was blind to this series. I had no inkling Kyoko would become an important character until later.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I asked in the OT and was redirected here so now I'm asking here...

How do I unlock the last cinematic which appears after the epilogue cinematic in the extras list? And there's also another picture that is not yet unlockable for me despite having finished the game. The picture is somewhere around the middle of the list in the extras section. All help appreciated.

I think someone implied/told me that you have to get an item from the mono machine thingy? is that right?

You're looking for two items. One, called an Escape Switch (?), that you can only get after beating the game and it automatically unlocks an alternate movie ending.

The second is a Spirit of Adventure (?) item that you can get on your first playthrough randomly. After the segment with Alter Ego, Monokuma tries to get the guys to peek on the girls bathing. If you have this particular item, the guys will peek and unlock a new event gallery item.

Now that you've beaten the game, it's just a matter of getting those items randomly from the Monokuma machine.

Puhuhu....

It's a damn good job. Not totally satisfied with it, but still a damn good job. My only problem was with Bryce. It sounded like halfassed it in the first 3 chapters or so.

You would sound halfassed if you were basically a puppet for 3 chapters in trials.

Long Write Up

Completely agree with the lack of characterizations for some characters.

Always nice to see people note how much lacking Ishimaru's characterization was in this game.

[.IMG]http://i.imgur.com/p12TsSC.jpg[/IMG]

So we're playing as the heroine the whole time?

Speaking of, can we talk about how amazing Takamondo's attempts at being a tough guy were?

Such a shame that you can't spend any free time with him. Of course, Makoto probably just couldn't handle him.

dkoy

i know! so incredibly happy. NISA is really doing a phenomenal job with this series.

you need to get the Escape Button present from the vending machine.

You're looking for two items. One, called an Escape Switch (?), that you can only get after beating the game and it automatically unlocks an alternate movie ending.

The second is a Spirit of Adventure (?) item that you can get on your first playthrough randomly. After the segment with Alter Ego, Monokuma tries to get the guys to peek on the girls bathing. If you have this particular item, the guys will peek and unlock a new event gallery item.

Now that you've beaten the game, it's just a matter of getting those items randomly from the Monokuma machine.

Thanks. Time to grind away at the machine....

kewlmyc

You would sound halfassed if you were basically a puppet for 3 chapters in trials.

The main thing for me was the discovery of Chihiro's body where Makoto screams. Sounds like something from a middle school play. What's worse is that Ishimaru shows up right after and blows Makoto's scream out of the water.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
RE: the second item, it's called A Man's Fantasy in the localized version, I believe.

And that scene fucking sucks. Get that shit out of my tense game

It's a game about high school students (well, they think they are anyway). It's fine. If nothing else, it's great seeing Toko going nuts in the back.

CrazyDude

Just finished this. I liked it, but the writers definitely dropped the ball in trying to tie up the plot strands. I can go along with non-explanations to an extent, like Monokuma wiping everyone's memories for two years and then, when pressed for the "how," saying: "Does it matter how I did it? You wouldn't believe me anyway." A little lame, but sure. But then the game completely ditches explaining any of its outlandish scenarios. How could Junko take over the airwaves of the entire world? How did she assemble the manpower to destroy the entire world, to a state where even the air isn't clean to breathe? It really cheapens a game that is all about details, and with explanations that are far too empty and abstract. Yes, the entire world destroyed itself through "despair" -- never mind how, or in what form. Perhaps comparison isn't fair, but 999 and VLR are so immaculate in their details and mysteries that when the ball of yarn gets pulled apart it is truly mindblowing. This was enjoyable, but clearly in a lower class. Beyond the unsatisfying nature of the ending, there are points in the plot where it feels like convenient clues/details were added afterward to make the mysteries cohere.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe most of this gets answered in 2.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I just beat it and I don't think I like how it ended.

Most importantly, though, wasn't Junko cheating in the end? When "Junko" was stabbed by Monokuma early in the game, there was no body discovery announcement. But then Monokuma makes the announcement later when they find "Junko's" body later in the game. That's a phony discovery message.

The game makes a big point of talking about how the mastermind and monokuma are bound by the rules...especially to the television audience...but this just seems super phony.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Most importantly, though, wasn't Junko cheating in the end? When "Junko" was stabbed by Monokuma early in the game, there was no body discovery announcement. But then Monokuma makes the announcement later when they find "Junko's" body later in the game. That's a phony discovery message.

The game makes a big point of talking about how the mastermind and monokuma are bound by the rules...especially to the television audience...but this just seems super phony.

Someone mentioned that earlier in this thread. I think it's because the murder actually occurred in front of everyone and it was a violation of the rules.

I was actually enjoying Taka until again, whatever the fuck this character derailment was:

Ishimaru_%2815%29.png

his scream and terror at Mondo's death was legit really sad. I was so happy to see what I thought was him bein able to keep on moving forward and develop, instead his entire character was completely derailed and its just a throwaway thing to give Hifume a reason to kill someone.

I believe one of the rules established is that you cant do any violent act against the headmaster (Monokuma).

That was shown in the beggining when Mondo almost got blown up by Monokuma.

Moonlight

Banned
The main thing for me was the discovery of Chihiro's body where Makoto screams. Sounds like something from a middle school play. What's worse is that Ishimaru shows up right after and blows Makoto's scream out of the water.
"A wild, almost primeval scream escaped from my mouth."

More signs at how much better Ishimaru is.

Is there other series material out there that rectifies this?

The manga might add a bit to his character but there is really no material that does anything with Ishida before he gets killed.

It's really a shame how Ishida has literally no development whatsoever.

Luckily fandom is always the answer.

daw, i appreciated it. :)

It's a game about high school students (well, they think they are anyway). It's fine. If nothing else, it's great seeing Toko going nuts in the back.

...Ok, I'll concede the point because of Toko. That shit was pretty funny. :p

Though it is funny that you kind of get the choice to actually go through with it (if you know that the item is what triggers it). Usually it's immediate stomp

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
...Ok, I'll concede the point because of Toko. That shit was pretty funny. :p

Though it is funny that you kind of get the choice to actually go through with it (if you know that the item is what triggers it). Usually it's immediate stomp

I like how Kyoko is looking right at the viewer. She sees you peeking and doesn't care. Wasn't expecting that from Miss Detective.

It is honestly kind of sad when Hifume has more development than Taka. I actually felt bad for him in the end, Taka, I felt less for him when Ishida happened.

Kyoko is fucking baller, but don't you guys feel like shes a little TOO strong and smart, if you know what I mean? Like, I knew from the first chapter, "yea, she is either gonna die in the final case, or make it to the end." She is still awesome though, and I wish Naoto from Persona 4 was more like her, and actually...you know, detected shit, instead of becoming a parrot.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I believe one of the rules established is that you cant do any violent act against the headmaster (Monokuma).

Also, the mastermind being "bound by the rules" is more about not being able to overtly go against them because it would have a diluted message for their Despair propoganda than anything else.

It is honestly kind of sad when Hifume has more development than Taka. I actually felt bad for him in the end, Taka, I felt less for him when Ishida happened.

Kyoko is fucking baller, but don't you guys feel like shes a little TOO strong and smart, if you know what I mean? Like, I knew from the first chapter, "yea, she is either gonna die in the final case, or make it to the end." She is still awesome though, and I wish Naoto from Persona 4 was more like her, and actually...you know, detected shit, instead of becoming a parrot.

She was a bit of a stability in an otherwise chaotic web of relationships. They made her a source of strength for the player, but I never thought she was completely safe... especially after the subversion they did for Sayaka's character.

Y2Kev

Someone mentioned that earlier in this thread. I think it's because the murder actually occurred in front of everyone and it was a violation of the rules.

Yah, I get it, but then no murder really occurred and no body was discovered. It was just Monokuma/Junko fucking with everyone, which they pretty explicitly said they didn't want to do because then shit would be fucked up.

It's k, I mean, I hardly think it makes or breaks the plot. The plot was fucked up enough as it was.

Rarutos

Yah, I get it, but then no murder really occurred and no body was discovered. It was just Monokuma/Junko fucking with everyone, which they pretty explicitly said they didn't want to do because then shit would be fucked up.

It's k, I mean, I hardly think it makes or breaks the plot. The plot was fucked up enough as it was.

I think Monokuma was cheating intentionally during the 5th chapter in general because it was a trap to get Kirigiri out of the picture.

Y2Kev

I think Monokuma was cheating intentionally during the 5th chapter in general because it was a trap to get Kirigiri out of the picture.

He was, I agree. Which I think comes off as a bit phony overall.

The phoniest thing is how Byakuya and Kyoko know 100% of what is going on at all times and basically refuse to let anything go wrong. Sorta takes the tension out!

Noi

The entirety of trial 5 was Junko "cheating" to frame Kirigiri as the killer and get her executed as punishment for her sneaking around. It even ends with her cheating again by trying to kill off Makoto even though he wasn't the killer.

That's actually why she's willing to go along with the proposal Kirigiri sets in chapter 6: she has to accept her demands instead of admitting (to everyone watching the show) that monokuma broke the rules.

edit: beaten by a smidgeon, bah.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

If you want to get technical, I think the bell only sounds when a body is discovered by three people? I'd have to go back and make sure. I don't know if it explicitly says that a murder has to occur.

The phoniest thing is how Byakuya and Kyoko know 100% of what is going on at all times and basically refuse to let anything go wrong. Sorta takes the tension out!

I have been told that 2 answers unanswered things from 1, lacks these types of characters, and is better than 1 in every way. I am excited yo.

If you want to get technical, I think the bell only sounds when a body is discovered? I'd have to go back and make sure. I don't know if it explicitly says that a murder has to occur.

Yeah, I think it's only when a body gets discovered by three or more people. When Junko first got murdered, not like they discovered the body since it was already there.

And there was no class trial the first time, since the students didn't know another student murdered someone else.

I guessssss that was a loophole that Junko used so she could stage a class trial as they rediscover the body in chp.5.

Y2Kev

If you want to get technical, I think the bell only sounds when a body is discovered by three people? I'd have to go back and make sure. I don't know if it explicitly says that a murder has to occur.

It does say that, but at best they'd be rediscovering a body they had already seen.

Yeah, I think it's only when a body gets discovered by three or more people. When Junko first got murdered, not like they discovered the body since it was already there.

I guessssss that was a loophole that Junko used so she could stage a class trial as they rediscover the body in chp.5.

I don't think that logic really holds. Were it true, you'd "discover" things you have seen all the time. Like if you put your keys on the desk and then walk out of the room and come back in...you've discovered your keys!

It's a trick and a trap. I just thought it sorta weakened the overall logic of not trying to screw with the players.

I like how Kyoko is looking right at the viewer. She sees you peeking and doesn't care. Wasn't expecting that from Miss Detective.

Her deductions were correct, Naegi is a pervert

IMO, they both really fucked up lots of times, with Byakuya totally being a dumbass in Chapter 2, and Kyoko basically hoping you don't ice her in Chapter 5. Real dumb plays from them.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It does say that, but at best they'd be rediscovering a body they had already seen.

It's a loophole, so it's not the most sound, but I still think it works.

Like I said before, Junko being tied down to the rules of the game are more about overt and obvious abuse that would subvert the overall message of despair>hope.

Moonlight

Banned

I don't really think that's true. That might apply for the first few chapters, but Kyoko is pretty clearly way out of her depth in Chapter 5. The lynch-pin of Kyoko's aims to 'escape' Monokuma's trap is hoping against hope that Makoto wouldn't rat her out unintentionally.

And Byakuya definitely doesn't know what's going on at all times. Some of the most satisfying moments in the game happen when he doesn't, really!

Y2Kev

I've already stipulated to all of that. My complaint isn't that it's a plot hole or a loop hole or whatever, I'm complaining that it is phony and breaks some of the internal logic of the game. When you think about how critical the body discovery message is to some of the earlier murders in the game, learning about how it can be manipulated cheapens it for me.

And having to argue over what discovered means demonstrates it is pretty weak in execution...

I don't really think that's true. That might apply for the first few chapters, but Kyoko is pretty clearly way out of her depth in Chapter 5. The lynch-pin of Kyoko's aims to 'escape' Monokuma's trap is hoping against hope that Makoto wouldn't rat her out unintentionally.

And Byakuya definitely doesn't know what's going on at all times. Some of the most satisfying moments in the game happen when he doesn't, really!

Kyoko's gambling, but she is the only one who actually knows what is going on. She's also at that point called it out as a trap at least twice. Byakuya might not always know exactly what is going on, but he's written in a way that really does make you feel consistently like the dumbest one in the room. I was so tired of seeing, "Well, you tell 'em, Makoto." Just really sort of weak because it makes Makoto and Byakuya feel like showrunners.

I
I don't think that logic really holds. Were it true, you'd "discover" things you have seen all the time. Like if you put your keys on the desk and then walk out of the room and come back in...you've discovered your keys!

It's a trick and a trap. I just thought it sorta weakened the overall logic of not trying to screw with the players.

I mean I agree, it was basically a very flimsily loophole from the get-go. It was definitely something that could easily be argued out of especially since a bunch of rules were broken that Junko is supposedly held up to. I mean that's probably why Junko's plan backfired into her getting discovered and losing was because she was getting desperate after the end of chapter 4 once her plan to use Sakura as a mole backfired on her.

Seems to mostly be fan stuff like that sad Rolling Girl video posted earlier in the thread.

Rolling Ishimaru ;_;

Top Bottom