• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Spoiler Thread - Farewell, spoiler tags of despair!

Yeah, that makes sense. It's pretty sad.

Chihiro's death was probably the most tragic for me. Kinda sucks being killed when you've found a real goal and motivation to live by a raging asshole.

I wouldn't call Mondo a raging asshole, its all the bear's fault really. And besides, those pictures show they were close during the year of peace at the school.

The saddest part about the chihiro mondo situation is that in all of the pics of their normal school life before the incident, you see they were bros :(

That's pretty much the deal with all the murders. It's implied in the pictures Leon and Sayaka were in a relationship and that Celeste and Hifumi had some kind of vitriolic friendship going on.

Sorian

Banned
Thanks for that.

When you say it came with DR2, it was packaged with it?

Yeah, it's weird to me. We will get it packaged with DR2 as well but it is non-canon and, if I've understood the internet correctly, its not even a story that was written by any of the original writers

FluxWaveZ

I wouldn't call Mondo a raging asshole, its all the bear's fault really. And besides, those pictures show they were close during the year of peace at the school.

Nah, I'd call him a raging asshole. Yelling all the time and losing his cool, knocking out Makoto over practically nothing, killing Chihiro over practically nothing... He wasn't in control over his petty emotions, and that's not something I can rationalize.

Sorian

Banned
tldr fuck that bear

danganronpa-1-28-monokuma.jpg

Nah, I'd call him a raging asshole. Yelling all the time and losing his cool, knocking out Makoto over practically nothing, killing Chihiro over practically nothing... He wasn't in control over his petty emotions, and that's not something I can rationalize.

Maybe it's just because I see a lot of myself in Mondo, but I would not call him an a-hole by any stretch of the imagination. He apologized for knocking out Makoto (and to be fair, he was under a lot of stress after almost getting blown up by Monokuma and is probably used to punching much bigger and stronger foes, meaning he didn't know his own strength), and killed Chihiro basically by accident without any malicious intent or premeditation. It was literally a heat-of-the-moment thing which he immensely regretted and acknowledged as heinous. He even accepts his execution as the only way he'll ever be able to atone for his crime, which is probably the most noble act not committed by Sakura in the game.

I honestly don't think that "not being in control of your emotions" is a good criteria to judge someone a bad person by. People have moments of weakness all the time, and Mondo's acknowledgement of his own weakness is what makes him such a good character to me.

Sweet! Now it's Kests, Inorigoon, Smedpai, Levibro, PK, and Raging Asshole!

See ya there. /snrk

2snrk 2hilarious

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Maybe it's just because I see a lot of myself in Mondo, but I would not call him an a-hole by any stretch of the imagination. He apologized for knocking out Makoto (and to be fair, he was under a lot of stress after almost getting blown up by Monokuma and is probably used to punching much bigger and stronger foes, meaning he didn't know his own strength), and killed Chihiro basically by accident without any malicious intent or premeditation. It was literally a heat-of-the-moment thing which he immensely regretted and acknowledged as heinous. He even accepts his execution as the only way he'll ever be able to atone for his crime, which is probably the most noble act not committed by Sakura in the game.

I honestly don't think that "not being in control of your emotions" is a good criteria to judge someone a bad person by. People have moments of weakness all the time, and Mondo's acknowledgement of his own weakness is what makes him such a good character to me.

I wouldn't call that shit "noble". Just because it wasn't intentional doesn't mean that he's not an asshole.

Still a million times better than Byakuya.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Don't know if PK is coming yet. Capping at five people as usual, if a spot is open though, it's yours.

Would've thrown my hat in, but I'm on-call this week, so I don't want to commit to something that I might have to back out of.

It figures I miss the fun though.

FluxWaveZ

Pretty sure if you talk to him once you get back in the dining hall.

I do remember Mondo apologizing, yes.

Weird, I must have avoided talking to him after Makoto's return. Wonder why...

It was literally a heat-of-the-moment thing which he immensely regretted and acknowledged as heinous. He even accepts his execution as the only way he'll ever be able to atone for his crime, which is probably the most noble act not committed by Sakura in the game.

Can't agree. I think "not being in control of your emotions" is PLENTY to judge a person by, especially when it can lead to fucking murdering someone behind the back with a dumbbell.

Accepting his execution isn't "noble" just like a serial murderer's coming to terms with his execution on death row isn't "noble." There's nothing noble about it.

People can have moments of weakness, but when those "moments of weakness" involve physically hurting other people, that is unacceptable and that is when I would call someone, without reservation, an asshole. People murder others in real life out of impulse all the time. So, for you, those people are meant to be forgiven just because they "couldn't control themselves"?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I never said the murder was noble. Murder is never noble.

He even accepts his execution as the only way he'll ever be able to atone for his crime, which is probably the most noble act not committed by Sakura in the game.

I wasn't talking about the murder. I was talking about his acceptance of his execution. It's pretty easy to be "noble" when you've been convicted. If Mondo fessed up from the beginning then he'd be a more redeemable character.

It's not even close to being comparable to Sakura's sacrifice.

Moonlight

Banned
Don't know if PK is coming yet. Capping at five people as usual, if a spot is open though, it's yours.
Hate to impose, but if a spot opens up, I'd actually like to join up for this.

What character death got to you the most? RIP Sakura, the most selfless and noble sacrifice tainted by mister bears dastardly deeds.
I'd go ahead and say that Alter Ego was the death that shocked me the most going through the game, if we're counting the ones that 'actually happened' (because otherwise Kyoko's would unquestionably be the one to have shook me the most) mostly because of where his death was placed - there's this moment of resolve and hope that comes out of Sakura's death where it seems even Byakuya's feeling the groove, which Monokuma proceeds to do his very best to snuff out by rolling out Alter Ego - sort of your ray of hope for two chapters or so - and smashing him to bits. It was such an out-of-nowhere, spiteful moment, especially when you've usually been trained to expect that he'd at least have something new to reveal before being offed. And sure, the game did make good on Alter Ego's contributions afterwards, the initial shock was pretty big.

I guess by extension that makes Chihiro's death the most tragic one, given that they go ahead and kill him twice.

Retroactively, I feel like Mukuro's death was pretty sad. I think for all of Junko's talk about how they were the 'Despair Sisters' at the end of it all, Mukuro wasn't so much a believer in the whole idea of 'despair' as she was trying to get her sister to appreciate her. I'm not sure how sympathetic she is by the end of it all, since that clearly means she was complicit or even active in whatever Junko did to make the world into what it was, but I think it's a bit tragic nonetheless, that at the very end, she was thrown away by that sister (who clearly hated her) and killed by her to prove a really grotesque point. And while School Mode isn't canon, sure, I think what they talk about and reveal about themselves still holds true, and Mukuro's tidbits about her life, her search for a dream, and her vague references to Junko were really just... kind of sad.

789shadow

Banned
From the OT:

Maybe spoilers if I'm right with this deduction post Ch1:

For some reason I think Toko (the girl with the stutter IIRC) has some sort of secret. She's acting really weird this chapter and with that dialogue right before the killing in the last chapter.

I'll laugh if she is some sort of psychotic person or a killer or something.

LMFAO

Squire

Banned
I never got that, must have been optional.

Weird, I must have avoided talking to him after Makoto's return. Wonder why...

Yeah, I usually made it a point to see what everyone had to say.

Hate to impose, but if a spot opens up, I'd actually like to join up for this.

I'd go ahead and say that Alter Ego was the death that shocked me the most going through the game, if we're counting the ones that 'actually happened' (because otherwise Kyoko's would unquestionably be the one to have shook me the most) mostly because of where his death was placed - there's this moment of resolve and hope that comes out of Sakura's death where it seems even Byakuya's feeling the groove, which Monokuma proceeds to do his very best to snuff out by rolling out Alter Ego - sort of your ray of hope for two chapters or so - and smashing him to bits. It was such an out-of-nowhere, spiteful moment, especially when you've usually been trained to expect that he'd at least have something new to reveal before being offed. And sure, the game did make good on Alter Ego's contributions afterwards, the initial shock was pretty big.

I guess by extension that makes Chihiro's death the most tragic one, given that they go ahead and kill him twice.

Retroactively, I feel like Mukuro's death was pretty sad. I think for all of Junko's talk about how they were the 'Despair Sisters' at the end of it all, Mukuro wasn't so much a believer in the whole idea of 'despair' as she was trying to get her sister to appreciate her. I'm not sure how sympathetic she is by the end of it all, since that clearly means she was complicit or even active in whatever Junko did to make the world into what it was, but I think it's a bit tragic nonetheless, that at the very end, she was thrown away by that sister (who clearly hated her) and killed by her to prove a really grotesque point. And while School Mode isn't canon, sure, I think what they talk about and reveal about themselves still holds true, and Mukuro's tidbits about her life, her search for a dream, and her vague references to Junko were really just... kind of sad.

Beautifully put. I agree.

I found the DanganRonpa 2's let's play. I'm so tempted to just start reading it. Someone stops me please, I can't wait till Fall.

Honestly, I think it's better to wait until fall so you can have the full experience. It is, in my opinion, a game worth waiting for.

but i mean really it's up to you
I don't think there are any particularly good LPs that go through the entire game, though.

PKrockin

What character death got to you the most? RIP Sakura, the most selfless and noble sacrifice tainted by mister bears dastardly deeds.

Leon's death was brutal, but also kind of ridiculous and silly. When one of us targeted someone as innocent and harmless as Chihiro for some kind of sick crucifixion, that's the point where I first said "Holy shit, this game is fucked up."

People imply it from the picture that featured the two of them. It's a stretch, for sure, but not baseless. It even makes sense from the ironic point of view because of what happens to them in chapter 1.

Leon is attached to her because she is the ultimate idol and he wanted to be the ultimate musician. So basically "o hey shes a singer, i should get close to her"

Thats how I took it.

kewlmyc

People imply it from the picture that featured the two of them. It's a stretch, for sure, but not baseless. It even makes sense from the ironic point of view because of what happens to them in chapter 1.

Which picture was that? There's like 4 of them including the class pictures. The one that Naegi took?

Top Bottom