• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Spoiler Thread - Farewell, spoiler tags of despair!

Sorian

Banned
Leon is attached to her because she is the ultimate idol and he wanted to be the ultimate musician. So basically "o hey shes a singer, i should get close to her"

Thats how I took it.

I just took it that everyone was super buddy buddy with everyone else and Junko made sure to drop the most ironic photos on the floor to be found based on the circumstances. She obviously had a multitude of photos at the ready. If Byakuya had killed Hina, I'm sure we would have gotten a picture of Hina playfully shoving Byakuya over or something.

Squire

Banned
They had their memories wiped. I never considered it (and I haven't seen this picture, someone post it), but in theory there could be multiple couples, yes.

Sorian

Banned
They had their memories wiped. I never considered it (and I haven't seen this picture, someone post it), but in theory there could be multiple couples, yes.

I think it got posted at the bottom of the last page (work computer blocks image hosting sites so I've just learned to guess what a picture is when it gets posted). If that's not the one, we are talking about the very first photo Makoto finds lying on the ground when exploring a new floor.

Labrys

Honestly, I think it's better to wait until fall so you can have the full experience. It is, in my opinion, a game worth waiting for.

but i mean really it's up to you
I don't think there are any particularly good LPs that go through the entire game, though.

yeeah i went though i think 3-4 different LPs for SDR2 to make it to the ending, it was quite the experience. kinda like reading a novel that each part has been written by a different author but the tone still stayed the same

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I think it got posted at the bottom of the last page (work computer blocks image hosting sites so I've just learned to guess what a picture is when it gets posted). If that's not the one, we are talking about the very first photo Makoto finds lying on the ground when exploring a new floor.

It's the photo Monokuma gives to Makoto with everyone else besides him in it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I think the Leon/Sayaka relationship is a bit of a stretch. It's a possibility, but the picture is far from confirmation. He doesn't even really have his arm around her, just on the back of her chair.

Friends do that pose all the time.

A few questions; wondering if I missed these:
1. How were the groups' memories erased / taken away?
2. What did the students do in the academy after The Tragedy, for about a year? Can't imagine it took a whole year to shelter the place.
3. What was the purpose of the hidden room accessible through the 2nd floor men's toilet room?
4. How did Kyoko join Makoto down in the trash pit?
5. Was it ever implied that these students were responsible for the in-school murders that took place during The Tragedy, in the 5th floor classroom?
Thanks in advance for comments / answers. Loved the game.

I wasn't talking about the murder. I was talking about his acceptance of his execution. It's pretty easy to be "noble" when you've been convicted. If Mondo fessed up from the beginning then he'd be a more redeemable character.

It's not even close to being comparable to Sakura's sacrifice.

Upon deliberation, I guess noble was the wrong word to use. I was probably just projecting my admiration of being able to face one's death with some semblance of dignity (something which I know I could never do) onto his character, which was twisting my perception.

I still think that he was a good kid deep down and that he just needed help and guidance. His social links made me realize that being a biker isn't really what he wants to do at all, but since it's all he has left of his brother, he's forced into it with no easy way out (he even claims he wants to be a carpenter once he graduates in order to fix all the things he's destroyed over the years). Maybe in another life, Mondo could've been an upstanding citizen, but in Monokuma's environment, he was twisted and pressured into doing something he would otherwise never have done.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
2. What did the students do in the academy after The Tragedy, for about a year? Can't imagine it took a whole year to shelter the place.
3. What was the purpose of the hidden room accessible through the 2nd floor men's toilet room?
5. Was it ever implied that these students were responsible for the in-school murders that took place during The Tragedy, in the 5th floor classroom?

1. It's not explained. I think it's further explained in one of the prequel manga.
2. I think this might have to do with the memory loss. All we know is that the current cast are the survivors of the Tragedy.
3. It was a just a separate archive of documents for the real Headmaster, I thought?
4. She went down with the trash.
5. Nah. I don't think it's ever implied these students killed any other students before the events of this game.

Upon deliberation, I guess noble was the wrong word to use. I was probably just projecting my admiration of being able to face one's death with some semblance of dignity (something which I know I could never do) onto his character, which was twisting my perception.

I still think that he was a good kid deep down and that he just needed help and guidance. His social links made me realize that being a biker isn't really what he wants to do at all, but since it's all he has left of his brother, he's forced into it with no easy way out (he even claims he wants to be a carpenter once he graduates in order to fix all the things he's destroyed over the years). Maybe in another life, Mondo could've been an upstanding citizen, but in Monokuma's environment, he was twisted and pressured into doing something he would otherwise never have done.

I don't disagree. He's not evil and he wants to change, but his actions in the game aren't excusable just because of good intentions. The same could be said of Sayaka, Leon, Hifune... being placed in situations that forced their hands to do terrible things.

PKrockin

1. Yeah, erasing everyone's memories so specifically starting the moment they entered the school is kind of bullshit.
4. IIRC she just climbs in a garbage bag or something.

Sorian

Banned
It's the photo Monokuma gives to Makoto with everyone else besides him in it.

Ah, I was misremebering the other photo a bit then, same deal to me though, I think they were a couple but the photos were evidence of nothing anyway.

1. Unknown with knowledge from this game, answer might be in Zero or SDR2.
2. I'd imagine it probably did. There was probably some initial shellshock to everything and those videos where they said they would stay probably didnt happen for a month or two after everything went down.
3. Secret office? Silly place for it, of course, but the school displayed later that secret rooms were commonplace.
4. Put herself in a bag of trash and whoever was on cleaning duty that week threw her down the pit unknowingly?
5. No, but I know this question is answered in either Zero or SDR2.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
This thread has been tempting me for a while, but I managed to finish the game before clicking it. Man, what a ride. Everything was extremely well put together. Always kept me thinking, and while I managed to guess the gist of the endgame, I am ashamed to admit I did not guess Junko was the mastermind at all.

Dugna

1. Zero novel explains this
2. Tragedy happened and then they decided after most things went to shit to block up the school which took a year.
3. plot advancement basically >.>
4. It's a trash pit she just tossed herself down there down a chute.
5. Zero explains that one.

789shadow

Banned
Chapter 3 Trial:

"Hifumi must have been dead when we found him in the nurse's office, even though he was alive later!"

God you stupid imbeciles.

Dugna

Chapter 3 Trial:

"Hifumi must have been dead when we found him in the nurse's office, even though he was alive later!"

God you stupid imbeciles.

Yeah......I facepalmed way to much during some of these trails, same thing could be said for Ace Attorney though.

Honestly, I think it's better to wait until fall so you can have the full experience. It is, in my opinion, a game worth waiting for.
That's for sure, but I'm not sure I can't resist, and I think it a better to experience it like this than to get spoiled mid-wait, like it's very very (sadly) plausible.
There's still like 8-10 months till it a actually released. I would love to be able to play it without knowing anything like I did with the first, but I truly fear getting stuff spoiled, especially considering I love websites like Pixiv and Image Boards so the chance would be really really high.
I think I'll finish replaying DR and then decide, but I kinda convinced myself already.

Also, the one I found seems to be updated quite frequently, as the last update is from a couple days ago. It's about half of the third chapter it seeems.

Sorian

Banned
That's for sure, but I'm not sure I can't resist, and I think it a better to experience it like this than to get spoiled mid-wait, like it's very very (sadly) plausible.
There's still like 8-10 months till it a actually released. I would love to be able to play it without knowing anything like I did with the first, but I truly fear getting stuff spoiled, especially considering I love websites like Pixiv and Image Boards so the chance would be really really high.
I think I'll finish replaying DR and then decide, but I kinda convinced myself already.

Also, the one I found seems to be updated quite frequently, as the last update is from a couple days ago. It's about half of the third chapter it seeems.

I'd at least try to find one that is 100% through, many of them have picked up and given up fairly late into it. If it's like anything else, switching from one translator to another is quite jarring.

Einbroch

Banned
"So... Then maybe she was alive [at this time]?"

"NO! YOU'RE WRONG!" Pewpewpewpew!

Made me laugh every time when the incorrect person was calm and collected. It's like holy shit Makoto calm down.

I definitely think that's fair. It's pretty easy to get spoiled on it. Part of the reason I decided to go ahead and make my way through DR2 was because I was tired of getting spoiled on things. Even with the larger twists spoiled for me, though, it was still really full of surprises and super fun to experience. I feel like if I were to make the decision now, I would want to wait for a translation as complete and high quality as the official one. So I guess my urging people to wait is partially born of my own regret.

And yeah, the SA LP that you found is definitely the best one, and it updates semi-regularly, but the pace is pretty slow. I don't see them getting much further than midway through Ch 4 by the time the official release is out. If you're going to read a translation, that's the one to go with for sure.

FluxWaveZ

I've been seeing September 2 as a release date to DR2. Any evidence for this date?

Only the GameStop placeholder date, but I think it's been right for previous games in a similar vein like Conception II or the first Danganronpa, so it's probably pretty close, if not exact.

DNAbro

Only the GameStop placeholder date, but I think it's been right for previous games in a similar vein like Conception II or the first Danganronpa, so it's probably pretty close, if not exact.

I saw the date on Amazon as well as Gamestop so that is why i was wondering.

Squire

Banned

Yeah, Amazon is like that, too. September 2 is a Tuesday, so that could well be the date.

I definitely think that's fair. It's pretty easy to get spoiled on it. Part of the reason I decided to go ahead and make my way through DR2 was because I was tired of getting spoiled on things. Even with the larger twists spoiled for me, though, it was still really full of surprises and super fun to experience. I feel like if I were to make the decision now, I would want to wait for a translation as complete and high quality as the official one. So I guess my urging people to wait is partially born of my own regret.

And yeah, the SA LP that you found is definitely the best one, and it updates semi-regularly, but the pace is pretty slow. I don't see them getting much further than midway through Ch 4 by the time the official release is out. If you're going to read a translation, that's the one to go with for sure.
Have you played the game in japanese?
Apart from quality, it seems also to be the furthest one.

"So... Then maybe she was alive [at this time]?"

"NO! YOU'RE WRONG!" Pewpewpewpew!

Made me laugh every time when the incorrect person was calm and collected. It's like holy shit Makoto calm down.

This is why I like Makoto. Out of trials, the guy is super passive and calm, but in them, he yells a bunch and recounts assumed events in his mind like nothing. Dude should be the Ultimate lawyer instead of the ultimate hope.

It's the one with the highest quality but definitely not the furthest when there are already finished LPs. Although to be fair the one I read that got to the end was because they started on chapter 4 since other people had already done up to chapter 3.

Sorian

Banned
This is why I like Makoto. Out of trials, the guy is super passive and calm, but in them, he yells a bunch and recounts assumed events in his mind like nothing. Dude should be the Ultimate lawyer instead of the ultimate hope.

I'm just saying, I wouldn't have been surprised if all the characters woke up and one of them was:

Objection.gif

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
One of the few things that bugged me was how the default game over vote during a trial was always for Makoto, while it often made no sense to suspect him at that point.

Fumbled around with it as much as I could with novice Japanese. I have trouble motivating myself to get far in games when I need to have a dictionary pulled up on my computer to make progress, heh. I ended up jumping around LPs to see it through to completion, and once it got announced for localization more quickly than I expected I kinda regretted it.

I think that, in addition to the SA one, there's one that goes from Ch. 1 to Ch. 4 and one that goes from Ch. 3 to the ending.

Sorian

Banned
One of the few things that bugged me was how the default game over vote during a trial was always for Makoto, while it often made no sense to suspect him at that point.

Agreed, my only game over was in a section during chapter 3 or chapter 4 (can't remember which now) but both never involve anyone thinking it could possibly have been Makoto. Odd oversight, they could have just made it so Monokuma said "oh, looks like you all voted for the wrong person!" and then dialogue wouldn't even have to change.

I wouldn't touch a Let's Play.

Even slight spoilers won't ruin the entire experience. Reading it all ahead of time will.
Well, in the end it would be like reading the dialogues without the gameplay part. I wouldn't define it as ruined, like playing DR again now, after playing it last year is not ruining the experience, which I'm enjoying like I haven't played it before.
Anyway, I found the LP from chapter 4 to the end, so I guess it's the same one.

FluxWaveZ

That annoyed me initially, but that's the only way it could work from a gameplay perspective without immediately jumping to a game over screen. Let's say the character under heavy suspicion was Mondo in case 2 but you land a game over and everyone votes for Mondo... well, that would be the right choice and it'd have to skip immediately to the end of the case for it to work.

Another situation: Genocide Jill's the one who's under suspicion in case 2, so everyone votes for her after a game over but... that's the wrong choice and Monokuma says that that was the wrong choice for the blackened. Well, now the game just spoiled itself by revealing that she's not the culprit.

they could have just made it so Monokuma said "oh, looks like you all voted for the wrong person!" and then dialogue wouldn't even have to change.

Yeah, that could have worked, though even that would seem a bit rushed for a game over scene.

Sorian

Banned
Yeah, that could have worked, though even that would seem a bit rushed for a game over scene.

He could have just said what I wrote and then the rest of his usual spiel. It was already a super rushed game over scene anyway, at least this way it would have made sense.

PKrockin

He was just one of the three characters who ever bothered investigating the crime for more than 5 minutes or learning the basic facts and evidence of the case.

Sorian

Banned
Also, I'd assume its the same game over scene if you fail in the first half of the chapter 6 trial?

*Hits a game over*

Makoto: Ok, I know I haven't done the best job of convincing you all but remember, we are re-doing this trial because you all voted me as the blackend last time, but we estabilished that monokuma lied about that completely, it can't be me.

*votes*

Monokuma: Aww, too bad! Looks like you all voted for Makoto and that is incorrect!

Makoto: You're all assholes

PKrockin

Also, I'd assume its the same game over scene if you fail in the first half of the chapter 6 trial?

*Hits a game over*

Makoto: Ok, I know I haven't done the best job of convincing you all but remember, we are re-doing this trial because you all voted me as the blackend last time, but we estabilished that monokuma lied about that completely, it can't be me.

*votes*

Monokuma: Aww, too bad! Looks like you all voted for Makoto and that is incorrect!

Makoto: You're all assholes

Monokuma says something like "too bad, looks like you couldn't discover the truth after all."

Sorian

Banned
Monokuma says something like "too bad, looks like you couldn't discover the truth after all."

Well that's good at least. They got the variety in when it counted. More specific, I guess, but anything special if the game over happens during the hope bullet section?

PK Gaming

I'm reading through the DanganRonpa let's play and the alternative translation is interesting.

41-char-junko7-h.png

It's so unfair, not being able to oppose or understand your enemy! That's what "Super High-school Level Despair" is all about!

No kidding...

Well that's good at least. They got the variety in when it counted. More specific, I guess, but anything special if the game over happens during the hope bullet section?

Yeah, the only time I got game over was during the BTB with Junko because I wanted to hear the entirety of her final line but I didn't realize that if you miss it it's insta-game over.

The game over screen was just Junko being like "lol despair #1" though

Gameplay reasons aside, you could try and take it as everyone thinking Makoto was suspicious because he kept coming up with incorrect contradictions or whatever (like he was trying to throw everyone off track). I agree it doesn't make it much better.

Getting a GAME OVER Makoto vote on chapter 5 would be pretty odd. Wonder if Monokuma would've executed everyone but Kirigiri on the basis that she was 'the murderer'. Or just killed everyone for not figuring out it was Junko. Or executed Makoto anyway but without Alter Ego making the save.

PKrockin

No idea. I got a game over because I used the right truth bullet on the right statement, but actually hit the white letters instead of the weak point so I thought it was wrong and I tried everything else. lol. Happened to me twice and it was so annoying trying to figure out what the game wanted from me.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Well, in the end it would be like reading the dialogues without the gameplay part. I wouldn't define it as ruined, like playing DR again now, after playing it last year is not ruining the experience, which I'm enjoying like I haven't played it before.
Anyway, I found the LP from chapter 4 to the end, so I guess it's the same one.

It's really not, though.

You're not experiencing the pacing, the music, the character inflections. I'd personally never do it, but that's just me. I prefer as unadulterated an experience as possible the first time through. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Top Bottom