• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Spoiler Thread - Farewell, spoiler tags of despair!

Sorian

Banned
Yeah, the only time I got game over was during the BTB with Junko because I wanted to hear the entirety of her final line but I didn't realize that if you miss it it's insta-game over.

The game over screen was just Junko being like "lol despair #1" though

Was that just for her? Because I missed a final line in a BTB and the person just recovered a few hearts and I lost one or two.

It's really not, though.

You're not experiencing the pacing, the music, the character inflections. I'd personally never do it, but that's just me. I prefer as unadulterated an experience as possible the first time through. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
I get what you're saying. I'll probably try not to read it. Hopefully I'll manage to avoid spoilers in the coming months.

Lusankya

It's really not, though.

You're not experiencing the pacing, the music, the character inflections. I'd personally never do it, but that's just me. I prefer as unadulterated an experience as possible the first time through. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Actually you will experience most of it, because the trials are in video form with subtitles and Onren even provided the music tracks for the daily/deadly life scenes.

I read/watched it back then when I didn't even imagine the game would ever be localized and it was a great experience. Playing it now for myself was a great experience as well.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Actually you will experience most of it, because the trials are in video form with subtitles and Onren even provided the music tracks for the daily/deadly life scenes.

I read/watched it back then when I didn't even imagine the game would ever be localized and it was a great experience. Playing it now for myself was a great experience as well.

Interesting. Even so, it's a second-rate way to experience it. I'd understand going to such lengths if localization was unclear, but we already have an announcement for release later this year.

PKrockin

Honestly reading/watching a let's play of a visual novel like that strikes me as a bit scummy. It feels like watching a camcorder recording of a theater showing. You might as well just rip the game and post it on the pirate bay if you're going to go that far.

Sorian

Banned
Honestly reading/watching a let's play of a visual novel like that strikes me as a bit scummy. It feels like watching a camcorder recording of a theater showing. You might as well just rip the game and post it on the pirate bay if you're going to go that far.

I think anyone who planned to watch the LP would still be buying the game come fall anyway.

Dugna

I think anyone who planned to watch the LP would still be buying the game come fall anyway.

Yeah I finally broke from all the spoilers showing up that I just read the LP and wikis still buying SDR2 once it comes to the West though so we can get SDR3 in a timely matter.

Labrys

School Mode ending... spoilers?

YESSS THE DANGAN ISLAND MUSIC WHEN USAMI SHOWS UP

i'm slightly disapointed they didn't keep her lisp/baby-like way of talking, but yes i was hyped when she showed up and that track started to play

hmm also i have a question for houk if possible, was the decision to translate Celeste's name as Ludenberg requested by Spike or was it an in house decision? because i've noticed in official media her last name is Ludenberck rather than Ludenberg, like in the artbook and stuff:
qqzycEq.png

Chapter 3 Trial:

"Hifumi must have been dead when we found him in the nurse's office, even though he was alive later!"

God you stupid imbeciles.

I mean the whole plan was stupid after you realize how could Yamada play dead and then suddenly come back to life moments later like it was no big thing. Even worse was moving his disappearing dead body and how it would somehow move up three floors if he was to come back alive after moving Ishimaru's body.

I like that they basically forgot about his dying message for the longest time as well as he didn't die until afterwards.

[
hmm also i have a question for houk if possible, was the decision to translate Celeste's name as Ludenberg requested by Spike or was it an in house decision? because i've noticed in official media her last name is Ludenberck rather than Ludenberg, like in the artbook and stuff:
qqzycEq.png

Wonder if it was a Spike thing now they got to actually localize and get down their English names, cause there were some changes like:
Toko Hukawa
Celestia Lu-whatever? Ludenberck
Hihumi Yamada
Chihiro Hujisaki

Though besides the Lu-whatever? totally looks like a case of hu becoming fu instead.

Or even Spike Chunsoft couldn't remember her name :p

PKrockin

I mean the whole plan was stupid after you realize how could Yamada play dead and then suddenly come back to life moments later like it was no big thing. Even worse was moving his disappearing dead body and how it would somehow move up three floors if he was to come back alive after moving Ishimaru's body.

I like that they basically forgot about his dying message for the longest time as well as he didn't die until afterwards.

Celeste just told him to tell everyone he was almost killed but barely survived. lol

It really was an awful plan in so many ways. I was surprised people didn't see the twists coming.

Celeste just told him to tell everyone he was almost killed but barely survived. lol

It really was an awful plan in so many ways. I was surprised people didn't see the twists coming.

Hell, if Kirigiri was around and not running around being all ???, she probably would have walked up and started feeling Yamada's body and going, Hey he's still alive.

i hope danganronpa 3 has a case in which someone unexpectedly walks in on the murderer forging evidence or a risky maneuver they attempt ends up failing spectacularly

Zephyx

Hell, if Kirigiri was around and not running around being all ???, she probably would have walked up and started feeling Yamada's body and going, Hey he's still alive.

What was weird is that Makoto checked "Junko's" body when she was stabbed by multiple spears to check if she's alive but he didn't do the same for Hifumi when he was found in the Nurse's Office. The only valid reason I can come up with is that they were rattled by the dead body announcement.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
What was weird is that Makoto checked "Junko's" body when she was stabbed by multiple spears to check if she's alive but he didn't do the same for Hifumi when he was found in the Nurse's Office. The only valid reason I can come up with is that they were rattled by the dead body announcement.

I think they tried to explain this by Celeste "confirming" he was dead by saying it aloud. That, and the whole flurry of activity and confusion created by two bodies and an allegedly masked assailant.

I think it was cause Kirigiri wasn't there to tell him what to do.

Zephyx

I think they tried to explain this by Celeste "confirming" he was dead by saying it aloud. That, and the whole flurry of activity and confusion created by two bodies and an allegedly masked assailant.

Well, maybe he had no reason to doubt Celeste at that point but I still find it weird to not check Hifumi's body but check Junko's body with multiple spears sticking out of her body. You're most likely right about the confusion part though. The plan was not perfect in many ways as it hinges on a lot of timing and circumstances but the confusion it created was really a mess.

I think it was cause Kirigiri wasn't there to tell him what to do.

I don't recall if Makoto was ordered by Kyoko to check Junko's body. :) Anyway, I know what you're getting at.

He's just lost without Kyoko.

johnyqd

I might have missed this one: after Celeste finally kills Hifumi in the art supply room there is a time when the door is locked from the inside. Was Celeste hiding in the room with the bodies at that time? How did she get out of the room without being seen?

PKrockin

I don't recall if Makoto was ordered by Kyoko to check Junko's body. :) Anyway, I know what you're getting at.

He's just lost without Kyoko.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't. To be fair though Makoto does basically do his own thing in several investigations, he's not always getting dragged around and told what to do by Byakuya/Kyoko.

Ah, crap. On my fourth and hopefully last School Mode playthrough. I finished all the projects in the last couple playthroughs and got the weird ending with the future-bear and such, but halfway through this time I managed to accidentally submit a project without having actually constructed the goddamn thing. Last save was at the beginning of the playthrough. Is there some double-extra ending for finishing with both a) all bears and b) the final batch of heart-level folks, or is it okay to just push on having made this mistake?

Trigger

I might have missed this one: after Celeste finally kills Hifumi in the art supply room there is a time when the door is locked from the inside. Was Celeste hiding in the room with the bodies at that time? How did she get out of the room without being seen?

I assumed Hifumi locked it to prevent the girls (Sakura and Aoi) from discovering him. He more than likely opened it for Celeste later, and she gave him the kabonk with the other mallet.

LX_Theo

Banned
I'm pretty sure he wasn't. To be fair though Makoto does basically do his own thing in several investigations, he's not always getting dragged around and told what to do by Byakuya/Kyoko.

True. But more often than not, he's tipped off on the important yet easy to overlook things by them.

I'm not so sure about this one either. There might be a time where the girls weren't in the art room after they tried opening the door after finding it was locked and maybe Celeste did some secret code afterwards to try and get him to open it for her.

She knocks him out and then sneaks out only to rejoin them afterwards?

That part was pretty spotty as well and was just another part of her "brilliant" plan where she could have been easily discovered.

FluxWaveZ

I assumed Hifumi locked it to prevent the girls (Sakura and Aoi) from discovering him. He more than likely opened it for Celeste later, and she gave him the kabonk with the other mallet.

I believe that's what is said in game, yeah. Either way, I'm pretty sure it's stated explicitly.

RetroMG

/sigh I was just about to finish the Platinum for this, but the battery just died on my Vita. Guess I'll plug it in and finish it tomorrow. I've got the last five characters done, I just have to finish the last few days in school mode.

789shadow

Banned
Chapter 4 Free Time in a nutshell: Kirigiri hates you, Ogami and Asahina won't talk to anyone, I hope you like Shaggy, His Royal Asshole, and Judy Wayne Gacy.

789shadow

Banned
Maybe I should correct myself: Ogami will take your shit and leave. The game lets you give her a present and all that, but you don't advance her report card at all.

Hell man, if I was shoved into a Danganronpa situation, I'd stay in my locked room forever and just go out to take food from the dining hall and return to my chambers.

I'm kinda surprised no one really did that. Only Toko kinda did but that was because she was too scared for Jill to come out. And hell, she stopped caring just to stick by the Prick 24/7.

Maybe I should correct myself: Ogami will take your shit and leave. The game lets you give her a present and all that, but you don't advance her report card at all.

Oh yeah, I did that too and then reseted when my social link didn't go up. :|

I also did spend time with already maxed characters and expected to spend a quiet moment with them as well. That didn't happen either.

FluxWaveZ

On one hand, this gives you a good chance to stay alive. On the other, it gives you pretty much no alibi.

That's true, but it also means that framing me for a murder would be practically impossible, so I'd be pretty much neutral unless someone actually did come up with a plan to make me the prime suspect.

That's true, but it also means that framing me for a murder would be practically impossible, so I'd be pretty much neutral unless someone actually did come up with a plan to make me the prime suspect.

So you would basically become like Hagakure. The ultimate one to frame murders on.

If I were Makoto, the ultimate nothing, I'd probably be more afraid of someone killing me than being blamed for killing someone else.

Which is funny cause Makoto got more murders pinned on him than attempts of murder onto him.

ZeroX03

Banned
Which is funny cause Makoto got more murders pinned on him than attempts of murder onto him.

I associate that more with the general stupidity of the room more than anything. I don't think Kyoko or Byakuya ever thought Makoto would be competent enough to kill anyone. Which is why the game overs with everyone blaming Makoto make no sense.

FluxWaveZ

So you would basically become like Hagakure. The ultimate one to frame murders on.

No! Maybe in the sense that framing me for the murder would be the ideal situation for the blackened given the fact no one ever sees me, but it'd be harder to pin the guilt on me than Hagakure since I'm not running about, being an idiot.

PKrockin

Would have been nice if we had some people stay awake during the night. There's nothing inherently more dangerous about nighttime when they can't possibly even tell what time it is without the clocks, except that all the potential witnesses go sleep in soundproof rooms giving killers free reign of the school.

Would have been nice if we had some people stay awake during the night. There's nothing inherently more dangerous about nighttime when they can't possibly even tell what time it is without the clocks, except that all the potential witnesses go sleep in soundproof rooms giving killers free reign of the school.

I think it wouldn't have been a problem if people actually listened to the self-imposed rule of staying in your own room during nighttime and stayed in their own rooms.

I mean, it was literally broken within like 3 days of it being brought up.

Zephyx

He's not always dragged but his investigations would come to a halt without those two helping him.

FluxWaveZ

I think it wouldn't have been a problem if people actually listened to the self-imposed rule of staying in your own room during nighttime and stayed in their own rooms.

Yup. If people just stayed in their damn rooms, there'd be way less problems.

But even Celeste didn't care about her own rule, so whatevs.

PKrockin

It's got the same purpose in mind really, safety in numbers. Either everyone hangs around in the safety of the whole group during the day and they all lock themselves safely in their room during the night, or they ensure there are people up and about to deter crime at all times.

Having everyone stay in their rooms during nighttime would be the ideal solution if you could trust/ensure everyone did that.

Top Bottom