• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Spoiler Thread - Farewell, spoiler tags of despair!

PKrockin

A select group set for the night shift sounds extremely dangerous, doesn't it?

If rather than having most people up during the day and a few during the night, you break it up to three groups of five who are up 16 hours a day and sleep 8, that's 10 people awake at any given moment.

This would get broken even more than the "no going out at nighttime" rule though. They probably wouldn't stand for it.

PK Gaming

He's not always dragged but his investigations would come to a halt without those two helping him.
I disagree.

Makoto has consistently demonstrated that he's a more than competent investigator on his own.

His investigations during chapter's 5 and 6 (a.k.a the most important cases in the game) are mostly a solo effort. In chapter 5, Byakuya has information on Mukuru's identity, and Makoto have coerce his dumb ass into giving it to you. Aside from that, Makoto was on his is own. Chapter 6 was strictly a solo effort, with very information exchanges being exclusive to Kyoko (Hina, Toko, Byakuya and Hiro started avoiding Makoto, remember?) and Makoto was the one who dug up the most vital pieces of evidence.

I think with the fact there are a fair amount of people and the school's pretty huge, makes it hard to really trust what's going on without pairing up or knowing where everyone's is.

I mean, it's more amazing that there weren't more murders during the daytime since not every place in the school could have someone there besides when everyone was still alive.

PKrockin

I think with the fact there are a fair amount of people and the school's pretty huge, makes it hard to really trust what's going on without pairing up or knowing where everyone's is.

I mean, it's more amazing that there weren't more murders during the daytime since not every place in the school could have someone there besides when everyone was still alive.

At first the school didn't seem that big with only one floor and 15 people hanging around. But later on it definitely felt... lonely, with only a few students in such a big school.

At first the school didn't seem that big with only one floor and 15 people hanging around. But later on it definitely felt... lonely, with only a few students in such a big school.

Pretty much and once a new floor opened up, everyone seemed to just abandon the past ones.

I mean sure it could be because it's new and exciting and more clues but the middle floors usually ended up being a ghost town because of it.

Dugna

Pretty much and once a new floor opened up, everyone seemed to just abandon the past ones.

I mean sure it could be because it's new and exciting and more clues but the middle floors usually ended up being a ghost town because of it.

Maybe it was despair inducing that with more room came less people? dunno might make sense. Actually now that I think about it.....everybody was in separate rooms knocked out before they all met up at the hall door? So technically the whole school should have been open for set amount of time for everybody to meet up.

johnsmith

remember me
Man, I was hoping there was going to be a twist where they were all just killing androids or something and everybody was still alive. =(

At least my favorite girl survived.

Yuck. A stunt similar to that would actually ruin the entire series for me.

I'm just joking. I know it wouldn't happen.

And even if one managed to be part of the cast of the 3rd game, I totally expect them to get murdered right off the bat to kill any chance of that happening.

I do wonder if there's any meaning in Junko preserving the corpses though....

Noi

I do wonder if there's any meaning in Junko preserving the corpses though....

Zombies are the main theme of DR3.
You'll get to see Taka again.
3pm7y38.gif

PKrockin

That spoilercast I was mentioning earlier will be live here in about 15 mins.

Only talking about the first game, so no spoilers for DR2.

BhLctLkCAAAW-3o.jpg:large

Regarding Byakuya, you all seem really shocked that he altered the crime scene just to make things more interesting, but his real goal was gauging Makoto's ability. It was horrible, but it was a calculated move for the sake of his own survival.

Levito

Banned
Regarding Byakuya, you all seem really shocked that he altered the crime scene just to make things more interesting, but his real goal was gauging Makoto's ability. It was horrible, but it was a calculated move for the sake of his own survival.

I know why he did it, it's still creepy. :p

PK Gaming

It's humorous in retrospect

It's like he's completely oblivious to the existence of Kyoko

I wonder, had Byakuya managed to murder both Makoto and Kyoko would he have won the trial or would it have been too obvious because he's the only one competent enough to think of killing the two biggest problems :V

Moonlight

Banned
Kyoko was an evident known quantity, Byakuya giving her a 'test' would be pointless because her competence was pretty much without question during the first trial. The test was to see how much of a threat that Makoto, as the second of three people in the courtroom that wasn't obviously an idiot, specifically was.

Lusankya

Honestly reading/watching a let's play of a visual novel like that strikes me as a bit scummy. It feels like watching a camcorder recording of a theater showing. You might as well just rip the game and post it on the pirate bay if you're going to go that far.

I completely disagree here. LPs of (good) games are basically free advertisement. Especially games like Danganronpa heavily profit from such an exposure, because you either love them or don't know them, and a dedicate fanbase will buy them even if they already know the story through the LP.

At some point NISA had to decide whether or not they should localize DR for the West, and I am very sure the already established English fanbase (because of the LP and other fantranslations) was one of the main factors for this.

So in my case the LP made me into a person that will buy all DR games day one as soon as they're released. And based on the comments I read about the LP I am by far not the only one.

PKrockin

I completely disagree here. LPs of (good) games are basically free advertisement. Especially games like Danganronpa heavily profit from such an exposure, because you either love them or don't know them, and a dedicate fanbase will buy them even if they already know the story through the LP.

At some point NISA had to decide whether or not they should localize DR for the West, and I am very sure the already established English fanbase (because of the LP and other fantranslations) was one of the main factors for this.

So in my case the LP made me into a person that will buy all DR games day one as soon as they're released. And based on the comments I read about the LP I am by far not the only one.

You can say the same thing about piracy.

If I had worked on the game I wouldn't be very happy about people in essence ripping the entire experience and making it available online for free, assuring me that everyone will do the right thing and buy it legally. Once they find it on sale. If they really, really love it. If there's nothing else to buy. Maybe.

I'm not saying you're a scumbag for reading them. It's just not something I would be comfortable with if I were in their shoes. It's a gray area, but sort of a charcoal compared to a game with significant gameplay.

Lusankya

You can say the same thing about piracy.
No, you can not and it's not even remotely the same. The whole intention to watch an LP or to start piracy are completely different. When you pirate a game, you don't really care about it in the first place and are unable/unwilling to purchase it anyway. When you watch an LP it can be because of a variety of reasons, most noteable because you really like the "Let's Player". Also watching somebody playing something is not the same as playing it yourself.

If I had worked on the game I wouldn't be very happy about people in essence ripping the entire experience and making it available online for free, assuring me that everyone will do the right thing and buy it legally. Once they find it on sale. If they really, really love it. If there's nothing else to buy. Maybe.

Why wouldn't you be happy? During the time when there was no English localization in sight, people either wouldn't have bought the game, because they don't understand Japanese or they would have bought the game because of the LP. So for Spike Chunsoft it's either zero importers (that can't speak Japanese) without the LP or a number of importers larger than zero with the LP. Plus of course free advertising, I mean you saw all the threads about DR here on NeoGAF, right? Where hundred of people told others how damn great the game is and that they should buy it? Without the LP you have a handful of people recommending the game at best.

It's a gray area

Not really. That's why all the big Let's Players are actually supported by the publishers (Nintendo being the only noteable exception)
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/dec/12/youtube-lets-play-copyright-ubisoft-google

So finally finished the main game. Still gotta say Junko's many voices were definitely one of the better touches to the game.

And I still liked Aoi's growth in the game especially since she's about the only one who really had any. I guess you can count Togami's class change from Prick to Tsundere.

Also since I saw I had a new item to get from the MonoMono Machine, I just threw all my 200 coins into it and uh made out with 4 Escape Buttons, lol.

School Mode awaits tomorrow!

Is school mode worth it? I'd like to see some more character interactions, but I don't care about trophies and the whole process seems really tedious and dull.

Lusankya

Is school mode worth it? I'd like to see some more character interactions, but I don't care about trophies and the whole process seems really tedious and dull.

I think the first one or two playthroughs are really good. But if you don't care about trophies just play it once and look up the endings on youtube.

PKrockin

No, you can not and it's not even remotely the same. The whole intention to watch an LP or to start piracy are completely different. When you pirate a game, you don't really care about it in the first place and are unable/unwilling to purchase it anyway. When you watch an LP it can be because of a variety of reasons, most noteable because you really like the "Let's Player". Also watching somebody playing something is not the same as playing it yourself.
I'm talking about those visual novel let's plays that are commentary-less videos or hybrid text+images+videos+music, transferring almost the entire experience to SomethingAwful forum posts. I guess you could call the videos longplays. The semantics are still a bit confused. With as little interaction as visual novels have, watching someone playing something is pretty darn close to playing it yourself.c

Why wouldn't you be happy? During the time when there was no English localization in sight, people either wouldn't have bought the game, because they don't understand Japanese or they would have bought the game because of the LP. So for Spike Chunsoft it's either zero importers (that can't speak Japanese) without the LP or a number of importers larger than zero with the LP. Plus of course free advertising, I mean you saw all the threads about DR here on NeoGAF, right? Where hundred of people told others how damn great the game is and that they should buy it? Without the LP you have a handful of people recommending the game at best.
It's great that this one happened to catch fire. But going by my own experiences with P2P back in the day and watching LPs now, relying on people to actually purchase your product after experiencing it for free doesn't pan out that often. I've found myself regretting buying MGS2, 3 and 4 when I was pretty satisfied with watching C&I's LP, even though I had played and really enjoyed MGS1 before then, for example.

Not really. That's why all the big Let's Players are actually supported by the publishers (Nintendo being the only noteable exception)
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/dec/12/youtube-lets-play-copyright-ubisoft-google
Legally, they could probably shut it down. I don't believe they would be considered fair use for the most part. I'm glad they don't, though, because I like LPs.

We're getting a bit off topic, but I've pretty much said all I wanted to.

I think the first one or two playthroughs are really good. But if you don't care about trophies just play it once and look up the endings on youtube.

I think I'll go through it once and youtube the rest. I stupidly spent all of my coins in the gallery, so if I wanted to platinum this I'd have to spend hours to get the coins, so I'm going to forgo the trophies.

apricot

Ah I finally finished the game! So many things to think about XD

This has probably been asked a million times, but am I correct in assuming that I want to avoid all information on DR2 like the plague? I was actually able to remain 100% spoiler free for DR and I'd like to try and keep it that way for the sequel

Lusankya

This has probably been asked a million times, but am I correct in assuming that I want to avoid all information on DR2 like the plague? I was actually able to remain 100% spoiler free for DR and I'd like to try and keep it that way for the sequel

Yeah, also you should note that even searching for just DR1 can spoil DR2.
E.g. I watched something on Youtube about DR1 and next day YT recommended me a DR2 video with huge spoilers in the title and preview image.

ZeroX03

Banned
I just did my first playthrough of School Mode, it was okay fun but it didn't add much to the experience.

Don't think it's worth playing another three times for the two trophies (School's Out Forever & Seriously, You Shouldn't Have) to be honest. I enjoy the game, but this is just mindless grinding for the sake of it.

apricot

Yeah, also you should note that even searching for just DR1 can spoil DR2.
E.g. I watched something on Youtube about DR1 and next day YT recommended me a DR2 video with huge spoilers in the title and preview image.

Oh god. So just, stay off the internet, basically

I really enjoyed this game, but I can't help but feel the very end was one of its weaker parts. Most of the reveals I had long figured out, and the whole Tragedy business was pretty lame, especially how they mostly just hand-waived away how silly the premise is. I would have preferred to know less about the Tragedy than what we got. The writing put too much of a spotlight on the plot devices that were the Tragedy and the amnesia for that brushing off to really work. Though there is probably no good way to explain the memory wipe without making eyes-roll. It's not too surprising though, the game's strengths is its characters, and the best character moments were earlier in the game.

Junko hamming it up was pretty good though.

Finished the game yesterday. Really enjoyed it despite a slow beginning.
I especially appreciated the rather predictable ending. The hints were all there, nothing crazy happening, no desire the pull the rug from under my feet. I really disliked that about 999 and VLR.

Now I've tried School Mode and I think I'm done with the game. I was maybe interested in getting the Platinum, but that thing's just a terrible chore and good way to ruin how good I feel about the game right now.

Also...

cm4a1bzvwiy2fpdzg.jpg

And... D:

cm4a5dfd84b4kkhl8.jpg

Soooooo, was Byakuya Jr also Hina's kid? He's sorta clinging to her, but that nervous-for-no-discernible-reason look is classic Toko. I dunno what to think.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
is there an explanation for why Kyoko's memory was wiped more thoroughly besides the obvious implication that her ability makes her the most dangerous one on paper?

Top Bottom