• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Spoiler Thread - Farewell, spoiler tags of despair!

FluxWaveZ

is there an explanation for why Kyoko's memory was wiped more thoroughly besides the obvious implication that her ability makes her the most dangerous one on paper?

What do you mean her memories were wiped more thoroughly? If anything, hers were retained the most as she actually had a suspicion that "something was done to her body" and was actually aware that she had suffered memory loss, unlike everyone else. She's also the one who asked Makoto at the beginning if they had met somewhere before.

What do you mean her memories were wiped more thoroughly? If anything, hers were retained the most as she actually had a suspicion that "something was done to her body" and was actually aware that she had suffered memory loss, unlike everyone else. She's also the one who asked Makoto at the beginning if they had met somewhere before.

She forgot that she was the ultimate detective, knowledge from before 2 years ago when she started going to Hope's Peak. She forgets why she came to the school and forgot about her father being the headmaster. No one else lost their memories from before 2 years ago.

FluxWaveZ

She forgot that she was the ultimate detective, knowledge from before 2 years ago when she started going to Hope Academy.

Ah yeah, that part. Well, because of the reasons I pointed out, I wouldn't necessarily say she lost hers more thoroughly, but I suppose she lost more concerning her identity than the others.

aBa7cro.jpg

Even Danganronpa is spoiling Danganronpa 2.

Oh shit, I didn't meant to set off any DR2 spoiler stuff, just thought it was a weird/funny moment. I guess I'm confused...

Edit: Oh, okay, so School Mode for 1 was something added in the 1+2 collection, which I guess means it assumes you've already played the second game? So its spoiler status is kind of up in the air. Either way I can kill my original post.

kewlmyc

Oh shit, I didn't meant to set off any DR2 spoiler stuff, just thought it was a weird/funny moment. I guess I'm confused...

Edit: Oh, okay, so School Mode for 1 was something added in the 1+2 collection, which I guess means it assumes you've already played the second game? So its spoiler status is kind of up in the air. Either way I can kill my original post.

Your sarcasm meter is broken bro. Most of the response were taking the piss....I hope.

Ah shit the secret's out.

Yes that is indeed a spoiler. Usami defeats Monokuma and no killing ever gets started. Nobody dies and it's pretty much School Mode on a tropical island.

In Island Mode that is

Started School Mode and definitely enjoying the 4th wall breaking banter from Monokuma.

It's always nice to see everyone alive again and there's still this sense of dread when they are all looking forward to finishing the replacements so they can get their school lives started :|

Feep

Banned
*joins the party*

Pretty fun ride, all the way through!

What I loved:

- EXCELLENT localization. Ignoring the voice acting for a moment (I might be slightly biased), the writing and dialogue were excellent. It absolutely grounded the characters as real high school students in 2014, and minus the Japanese names, I would have just assumed they lived in the U.S.A. I guess the fanboys would have rioted at NISA if they changed the names, though. ;)

- Great atmosphere and presentation in general. Music? Rad. Wacky art style? Rad. Character design? Rad. Sense of dread and horror effectively evoked.

- Aoi. My waifu.

What I didn't love:

- Narrative simplicity. They were teasing the whole "world is destroyed and memories were erased" stuff from Chapter 2 or 3. It felt like literally NOTHING was revealed in the final chapter except the identity of the mastermind, which didn't even feel important, because it was a character we either hadn't met or only spent a few minutes with, depending on your perspective. The "tragedy" remained a bizarrely generic event with no explanation. It just felt like the game's plot petered out as it reached the end.

- The general simplicity of the cases. I was rarely confused. Chapter 4 was likely the best case in this regard; some cool twists in there.

- Bullets. Honestly, pretty sure I hated all the minigames. It's not that I object to stylizing or game-ifying the presentation of evidence, but it's just that...none of them were fun.

- I was not in the game's credits. = ( (I know this is due to union stuff, and my extreme thanks to NISA for the opportunity and role, but it still sucks.)

Will be back for SDR2.

Heh

PK Gaming

Welcome to the dark carnival, brother

It was kind of surreal seeing you play through the game on gaf. You're probably the first (only?) voice actor that I know of who has played through a game they were directly involved, and you ended up forgetting most of the plot points. So what were your overall thoughts on Byakuya? Did get attached to him due to you voicing him, or did you despise his smug ass?
Will be back for SDR2.

Heh

Haha.

Tizoc

Well Aoi's dat hotness to me.

At any rate: Someone mind explaining just WTF is the deal with all that happened?

2 years ago Makoto and co. attend Hope's Peak, then The Tragedy occured, then they agree to be 'imprisoned' in the school, The Ultimate Despair duo end up taking over to fuck things up and succeed, and as the game begins everyone gets Amnesia?
How did the last thing even happen?

I'm guessing the entire events have a more meta definition, but until I get to that I need the above cleared up.

Feep

Banned
It was kind of surreal seeing you play through the game on gaf. You're probably the first (only?) voice actor that I know of who has played through a game they were directly involved, and you ended up forgetting most of the plot points. So what were your overall thoughts on Byakuya? Did get attached to him due to you voicing him, or did you despise his smug ass?
It's really hard to remember names when there are sixteen of them, they're all Japanese, I have no visuals for any of them, and we blur through lines like we did. I was thinking Junko was involved, though; I was surprised she "died" so early.

I dunno, I sort of liked him. ;) I got all his free time segments, anyway. I don't project myself onto his character, so I treated him as a separate entity. Games rarely have protagonists so utterly dickish, so I sort of liked him, in the same way that I like Vegeta.

I'm really proud to have been part of the game! I mean, I listed all that stuff up there, but the truth is, it was real hard to put down near the end. ;)

Well Aoi's dat hotness to me.

At any rate: Someone mind explaining just WTF is the deal with all that happened?

2 years ago Makoto and co. attend Hope's Peak, then The Tragedy occured, then they agree to be 'imprisoned' in the school, The Ultimate Despair duo end up taking over to fuck things up and succeed, and as the game begins everyone gets Amnesia?
How did the last thing even happen?

I'm guessing the entire events have a more meta definition, but until I get to that I need the above cleared up.

Junko did something to them. Dunno what since as Monokuma himself said even if he did explain how they wouldn't believe it. I feel it's kinda the writers referring to the players. ''Yeah, amnesia, we know! We won't be explaining it since it will be stupid anyway.''

Maybe it was the hypnotic Monokuma Dance?

Junko did something to them. Dunno what since as Monokuma himself said even if he did explain how they wouldn't believe it. I feel it's kinda the writers referring to the players. ''Yeah, amnesia, we know! We won't be explaining it since it will be stupid anyway.''

Maybe it was the hypnotic Monokuma Dance?

uJ3NZrY.gif

I could see losing two years of memories from seeing that.

It also gets more explained in Danganronpa Zero.

Squire

Banned
So, apparently there's another prequel thing where Kyoko does stuff? Detective Kirigiri?

Anyone know what's up with that? I'd google, but... I'm scared. :'(

So, apparently there's another prequel thing where Kyoko does stuff? Detective Kirigiri?

It's a side story which talks about Kirigiri's past as a detective and specifically a case when she was in the 7th grade.

It pretty much a completely unrelated thing with the main plot of the two games and the only real connection is that Kirigiri is a character in it.

PK Gaming

It's really hard to remember names when there are sixteen of them, they're all Japanese, I have no visuals for any of them, and we blur through lines like we did. I was thinking Junko was involved, though; I was surprised she "died" so early.

Interesting. That isn't the first time I've heard that (in fact, some actors don't even remember who the characters are), and it's puzzling. Didn't they give you reference images of what the characters looked like during certain scenes? Or did they only give you cues?

I dunno, I sort of liked him. ;) I got all his free time segments, anyway. I don't project myself onto his character, so I treated him as a separate entity. Games rarely have protagonists so utterly dickish, so I sort of liked him, in the same way that I like Vegeta.

That's a funny way of putting it, haha.

I'm really proud to have been part of the game! I mean, I listed all that stuff up there, but the truth is, it was real hard to put down near the end. ;)

I'm glad you feel that way, you did a great job man.

Feep

Banned
Interesting. That isn't the first time I've heard that (in fact, some actors don't even remember who the characters are), and it's puzzling. Didn't they give you reference images of what the characters looked like during certain scenes? Or did they only give you cues?
No images, except for my own character. They would explain what a character was doing a lot of the time, but not visuals. (Special exception was taken to explain the Toko/Genocide Jack switch in Chapter 2)

Interesting, no wonder you only really remembered the biggest twist about your character.

Shame a picture is all they give you because I'm sure you would've liked to get more "in character" with some food for your SDR2 recording :p

Feep

Banned
Interesting, no wonder you only really remembered the biggest twist about your character.

Shame a picture is all they give you because I'm sure you would've liked to get more "in character" with some food for your SDR2 recording :p
I straight up asked the director if I should stuff my face with some apples as I was delivering lines (green apples are always on-hand in VO booths, because they reduce/eliminate "clicking" and saliva-based sounds in the microphone), but they said no. Fried chicken really would have gotten me in the mood, though...

kewlmyc

Prequel novel staring Kyoko. Probably relates to how she got her hands super burnt since she isn't wearing gloves on the cover.

I straight up asked the director if I should stuff my face with some apples as I was delivering lines (green apples are always on-hand in VO booths, because they reduce/eliminate "clicking" and saliva-based sounds in the microphone), but they said no. Fried chicken really would have gotten me in the mood, though...

Did you try to adjust your voice or did you guys just go as in DR1?

Squire

Banned
I really like the detached model. Everyone on GAF should beat the game, so I can use that as an avatar.

Prequel novel staring Kyoko. Probably relates to how she got her hands super burnt since she isn't wearing gloves on the cover.

Ooh, can you post it/PM me?

ZeroX03

Banned

Isn't this a spoiler? I guess it makes sense the cast returns for the sequel, but still.

Re: Monokuma's sentience at the end of the game, I'm guessing this has something to do with Alter-Ego's similar turn, but who knows with this series.

ZeroX03

Banned
What's the reason behind him being fat? That seems completely out of character. Spoiler tag it if necessary. I really want to read up on it, but I'm pretty sure I'd be spoiled within seconds.

rapid weight gain was byakuya togami's last-ditch effort to ditch toko

alt: eating toko was byakuya togami's last-ditch effort to ditch toko

(neither of those are serious answers to the above question btw)

basically fat byakuya sets the tone for how absurdly insane and awesome DR2 is

Top Bottom