• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Spoiler Thread - Farewell, spoiler tags of despair!

So let me get this straight

This Nagito guy

-Shares the same VA with Makoto (in both versions)
-Has the same title as Makoto
-Wears a hoodie like Makoto

Hmm...

image.php

I don't want to say anymore, upupupupu~

tookhster

Just finished the game completely blind and loved it for the most part. Thanks for recommending GAF! Here are my thoughts:

- Am I the only one who thought Mukuro somehow switched places with Toko after that bomb went off? After Mukuro’s face was revealed I realized her hair style looked almost identical to Toko’s, and during the whole time I was suspecting that the real Toko blew up in that bomb and was the blown up body on the floor, while Mukoro was pretending to be her for the rest of the game. After that point, there were few Genocide Jill moments and some parts where she would strangely try to prove Makoto wrong, so I really thought I was onto something there even though the evidence said otherwise lol.

- Junko being the mastermind completely took me by surprise. Even in those pics I didn’t really realize her face wasn’t shown, because I was too busy looking at Mukuro. Junko (Mukuro I guess) always creeped me out though, with the makeup and her horrifying death scene that kept on getting shown throughout the game. I got chills once I realized what was going on, and I love that stuff in these kinds of games.

- I wasn’t really disappointed in the ending itself, but was kinda let down by the whole “world taken over” thing. It just seemed TOO out there and ridiculous, even for this kind of game. I know the whole point was the get rid of hope for the students, but I would have much preferred if it was actually something more than that and wanted to know how exactly Junko was able to do all this. Knowing that the world was shit made her seem less “impressive” (lol can’t think of another word) to me because it couldn’t have been as hard to put everything together while the world is in crap. It made the game feel less rewarding to me, but I guess that was what it was supposed to do.

-The music in this game was awesome. At first, I disliked some of the tunes like the ridiculous Monokuma theme, but after a few times it really grew on me and I couldn’t wait till it showed up again.

- I think the one thing I didn’t like about this game was how much Makoto was hand-held throughout the game by Kyoko and Byakuya, and even Celeste in the beginning. Those guys were always the ones that knew what was going on during the trials while Makoto seemed dumb and naïve. What I’m saying is that I expected Makoto to turn out as some kind of a badass with trials by the end of the game, but no, he still gets babied by the Kyoko and Byakuya all the way through. The whole, “Why don’t YOU tell them, Makoto!” thing repeated over and over again really irritated me. How about freaking no? If you found something out then speak the hell up. I know Makoto makes it up in the very end, but still, I would have much preferred playing as a more detailed/developed character like Byakuya/Kyoko(just not as skilled), as opposed to someone who appeared to be babied throughout the game. That’s just how it felt like to me though.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Listening to Social Link FM right now and agree with their complaints about Makoto not really standing out. One of the more missed opportunities I felt like was during the first two motive moments. The first one, fearing for the safety of his family was okay, but generic. The second one was a lot worse. His terrible secret being wetting the bed up until a certain age? Okay, who cares. Could have been something a lot more interesting.

As for the motive scenes, during the final trial when Junko asks you to sum up what the motives exactly were did anyone think that was going to culminate in some shocking conclusion? Instead after we listed all of them she just confirmed it and the whole thing just fizzled out.

LX_Theo

Banned
Not a fan of sequel character mentions in here as well. By looking up one of the current cast's profile and reading like one sentence too much I think I already ruined a very big twist for myself and every tidbit I see here seems to be confirming that.

Don't do that. Look at artwork and their "Ultimate" title at most.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, I hope no one saw that original post. Messed up the spoiler tags. But yeah, I regret doing that LX_Theo. Was lamenting how some of the stuff
PK Gaming
is posting now pretty much confirmed
the suspicions I had based on the one sentence I read of Junko's profile.
Seems like one of the bigger twists too.

Okay, who cares. Could have been something a lot more interesting.
I think they used that exactly because it's not that important. That leads Makoto to think that everyone's secret is not that important and so he's sure that no one would kill for that.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I think they used that exactly because it's not that important. That leads Makoto to think that everyone's secret is not that important and so he's sure that no one would kill for that.

I know, I get why they did that, but still feel like there was room for some secret that was not damning, but still said something about the character rather than a generically embarrassing one.

Alfredo

Started watching the Danganronpa anime. Does anyone know if it's getting an English dub? I really like most of the English voices.

The anime itself is pretty lame, which I guess is to be expected of a video game to anime adaptation. It rushes through everything, glosses over all the clues, so that it would be impossible for you to put the crime together for yourself. I enjoy watching it to just get more of these characters, though.

Plus it's cool to see them kind of animated. I really hope if they continue this game series that it goes full-on animated polygonal character models like Ace Attorney 5. Considering the popularity of the series, I'd figure they'd have the budget for that...

Started watching the Danganronpa anime. Does anyone know if it's getting an English dub? I really like most of the English voices.

The anime itself is pretty lame, which I guess is to be expected of a video game to anime adaptation. It rushes through everything, glosses over all the clues, so that it would be impossible for you to put the crime together for yourself. I enjoy watching it to just get more of these characters, though.

Plus it's cool to see them kind of animated. I really hope if they continue this game series that it goes full-on animated polygonal character models like Ace Attorney 5. Considering the popularity of the series, I'd figure they'd have the budget for that...

Well the spinoff is fully 3D.

Tho I'd rather them stick with sprites :(

Makoto totally would have killed for that if Mondo didn't act first.

Curse you Mondo and your weakness!

Most likely, though I don't think Funimation has announced their plans for the home release for the show yet.

There's also no idea if they'll get the all the voice actors for the anime too since they usually use a different company for dubbing.

Stop before you regret it. Seriously.

I personally have not finished Super Dangan Ronpa 2 (close to the ending from what I gather) but to everyone that are playing these games I always do my best to warn them to stay away from fan art as well as googling things that you may be curious about. You'll end up seeing something that will ruin the whole story for you.

I think the game is best played with your suspicions just brewing as it goes on. Shit gets crazy...

Oh shit. I love that 3D look.

I hope Dangan Ronpa gets as popular as Persona, for real... Maybe I can see a Dangan Ronpa fighting game in my life before I die.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

I hope Dangan Ronpa gets as popular as Persona, for real... Maybe I can see a Dangan Ronpa fighting game in my life before I die.

I can totally see Danganronpa becoming a Persona level ip, i mean it will probably never sell millions but imo it will have a growing and loyal fan base.

A Danganronpa fighting game would make all my dreams come true.

I don't care if it breaks canon into a million little pieces. Canon sucks anyway.

Cha

Afraid not, sorry. I believe that screen is the only one that's been released since the official reveal.

Yup. Seems like those are the only vita sized screens. Though, with a bit of snooping around I found that Famitsu seems to have some smaller sized shots from the game too. I don't see anything spoilery in the images linked, but you never know. Actually, there is one detail from the spinoff that I haven't seen anyone else point out.
While we've seen a megaphone being used as a weapon, one of the shots show Toko using scissors.
click at your own risk.(and press enter in the address bar to refresh page since it's a famitsu link)

Would love to see this spin-off heading west as well.

^Speaking of Mukuro :

Houk wrote:Danganronpa IF will be included in DR2, yes.

I'd love to do an official release of DR0 but to do that we would have to a) secure the rights, and b) find a business model for release that justifies spending that amount of resources translating, editing, promoting, and releasing it. So who knows if it'll ever happen.

This is what Dangan Ronpa IF is:

Dangan Ronpa IF: The Escape Switch of Hope and the Unfortunate Warriors of Despair is a light novel written by Ryougo Narita. It explores what would have happened if Naegi had received the Exit Button from the Monomono machine in the beginning of the game, which helps him slowly regain his memories.

Mukuro features heavily in this.

It'd be super awesome if people wouldn't openly post anything resembling a SDR2 spoiler in this thread, fake or otherwise. A lot of people are on edge with this stuff because the internet is trying its damndest to ruin the story (particularly those of us who were spoiled on DR1 in some way) so even something lighthearted could be taken the wrong way.

Mukuro getting blowed up bothered me more than it should in retrospect. That was fucked up.

As far the ending I liked the Junko reveal but the exclusion of how everyone lost their memories was a glaring oversight. How does someone go about causing mass amnesia of precisely 2 years. I struggled to take that as a given. Amnesia in games annoys me in general though.

LX_Theo

Banned
Mukuro getting blowed up bothered me more than it should in retrospect. That was fucked up.

As far the ending I liked the Junko reveal but the exclusion of how everyone lost their memories was a glaring oversight. How does someone go about causing mass amnesia of precisely 2 years. I struggled to take that as a given. Amnesia in games annoys me in general though.

I remember hearing that Danganronpa Zero goes into more detail about that.

Yeah, also gets mentioned in a line or two at the end of If.

Honestly, the problem with all the twists at the end is that they were obviously planning for a sequel and other forms of media already which made it so that the biggest twists at the end lack much detail.

I wonder how many loose ends were planned out during the game's development. Like did Spike already have a good idea of how the world looked outside or something?

george_us

Junko being somehow ten times creepier than Monokuma took me by surprise. Great villain. Didn't like the ending though on the whole. Like another poster said, the entire thing just felt too ridiculous.

Zephyx

So let me get this straight

This Nagito guy

-Shares the same VA with Makoto (in both versions)
-Has the same title as Makoto
-Wears a hoodie like Makoto

Hmm...

I actually recognized that also when I looked at DR2's promotional material. I don't have any knowledge of DR2's plot or characters aside from their talent, art and names. I just decided to put it in the back of my mind but it always comes back to haunt me. Can't wait for fall.

dunno what's helping or hurting when it comes to quelling fear about DR2 spoilers, carry on.

basically there's no harm in spoiler tagging anything related to DR2 so maybe that's a good idea

Come on guys, just stop talking about DR2. I don't even want to hear any speculation about the characters in that game. Now I'll be keeping my eye on someone and it will drive me nuts between now and release.

Top Bottom