• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Spoiler Thread - Farewell, spoiler tags of despair!

FluxWaveZ

Ahh, the DR2 talk. Imma bow out of this thread before things really get dicey.

Didn't get spoiled for DR1 and I'll die before I get spoiled for DR2.

Jintor

I got implication spoiled on DR1 thanks to fucking tumblr like two years ago and I never noticed.

Very irritating especially since I didn't know a thing about the rest of the game and really enjoyed being in the dark.

PK Gaming

Dude, at least spoiler the post that started it :/

But it wasn't a spoiler.

There's an overt connection between the 2 characters, to imply that pointing that out constitutes as spoilers is... uh... kind of tenuous...

But I'll go back and remove it.

EDIT: Meh, i've already been quoted by a few people.

Gestahl

Come on guys, just stop talking about DR2. I don't even want to hear any speculation about the characters in that game. Now I'll be keeping my eye on someone and it will drive me nuts between now and release.

They'll never shut up about it so you should probably just leave this thread. They'll keep posting and posting more snide hints and revealing fan art until every relationship and plot detail in the sequel is completely revealed. It's better to just not deal with the headache.

But it wasn't a spoiler.

There's an overt connection between the 2 characters, to imply that pointing that out constitutes as spoilers is... uh... kind of tenuous...

But I'll go back and remove it.

EDIT: Meh, i've already been quoted by a few people.

Well it's more the people responding to that than the actual speculation.

But yeah, I'm just being paranoid. I've already gotten 1 thing spoiled in this thread and another somewhere else, so I'm trying to go on blackout.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Honestly i think that Mukuro was a huge waste, i mean look at her!

Mukuro.jpg

That is badass.

Looks like a M16 with ACOG.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Really liked her design. Those eyes are fierce.

Yeah, shame it was really under utilized.

Also, I know it's going to be corny as hell, but I want to play that 3rd person game with Makoto's sister and Toko/Jill.

Going around, shooting Monokumas with a megaphone.

Sorian

Banned
Listening to Social Link FM right now and agree with their complaints about Makoto not really standing out. One of the more missed opportunities I felt like was during the first two motive moments. The first one, fearing for the safety of his family was okay, but generic. The second one was a lot worse. His terrible secret being wetting the bed up until a certain age? Okay, who cares. Could have been something a lot more interesting.

Geez, I don't agree at all. Makoto was supposed to be as generic as possible, he was at a school for super students based entirely on a lottery raffle, of course he is going to be generic. When Junko was poring over everyone's huge secrets that she could give out, of course Makoto is going to have nothing going on in his past, so the best she could do was some embarrassing kid story. He's generic, that is a draw of the story. Now it could have been a wrong decision to make him that way, but personally I found it appealing.

Jintor

I'd rather be Sherlock than Watson.

But my main problem really is that he spends so much of the damn game being handheld by everyone else. I mean, I guess that's only natural when he's the normal guy in a school full of genuises, but it really irritates me as a player to feel like I'm just basically being used by everybody else and not really figuring out my own solutions or something.

Dresden

Makoto mans up as he goes, though. I liked that he begins to take more of a lead role in the trials as the game progresses. I don't think it was enough, but upstaging Togami in case 4 and ending up as a partner of sorts for the ultimate detective wasn't all that bad.

Dresden

I think my problem with the ending is that it's grounded (within the context of this narrative) to a point where most players figure it out before going into the trial, but the plausibility of this scenario hinges around a very implausible idea that's never explained beyond 'well, it happened.' Mass induced amnesia still bothers me. I don't think it sinks the ship or anything, because the individual trials and the characters are fun enough to make up for it, but yeah.

PK Gaming

Well it's more the people responding to that than the actual speculation.

But yeah, I'm just being paranoid. I've already gotten 1 thing spoiled in this thread and another somewhere else, so I'm trying to go on blackout.

Ok, I see where you're coming from now. I'm sorry for starting the whole thing. Going forward, I won't talk about DR2 period.

Also guys, don't go!

3b73Wov.jpg

This thread won't be nearly as fun without you ;_;

While I don't feel like Makoto taking a secondary role in trials or being more or less the everyman of everymen really sets the game back all that much, the biggest missed opportunity with him, in my opinion, is in the way he interacts with other characters. Aside from maybe Byakuya, I don't think he's a particularly good foil for any other characters, and I can't say I look forward to his half of the conversation, and in a game that is primarily composed of character interaction, it's a bit disappointing. Like, in Phoenix Wright, for example, Phoenix is as much a character as anyone else in the game and I look forward to hearing his observations and thoughts and seeing his interactions with various character types. I don't really get that at all from Makoto.

Jintor

He's a bit too everyman in my opinion. I don't know what really separates him in that sense from, say, Junpei - apart from not being a massive horndog - but he's kind of... well, flat. Though the constant fear/dread stuff and his interactions with Kyoko I feel lend him some needed texture.

It's not like I dislike him though, for all that he's voiced by Kirito

LProtag

Man, I think I've already put together a bunch of stuff about DR2 based on the little bits of info that I've ran into on the internet. Kinda sucks.

Yeah, I found Makoto a little flat as well. Sort of a player stand-in more than anything, I think.

Dresden

I've already read a huge spoiler,* but I'm hoping I can kinda forget it before September.

*wonder if i should try confirming this with dr2 players but the truth might be more than i can handle

Makoto is basically at points one step above a silent protagonist. As in he will answer another character, but it is usually what they want to hear.

I mean it's nice that does give hope to other characters via their free events, but that's really the only time you ever see that while in the main plot, he's usually way too passive.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Geez, I don't agree at all. Makoto was supposed to be as generic as possible, he was at a school for super students based entirely on a lottery raffle, of course he is going to be generic. When Junko was poring over everyone's huge secrets that she could give out, of course Makoto is going to have nothing going on in his past, so the best she could do was some embarrassing kid story. He's generic, that is a draw of the story. Now it could have been a wrong decision to make him that way, but personally I found it appealing.

Agreed.

While his secret could be considered embarrassing, it's really nothing compared to Mondo's who inadvertently killed his brother.

LProtag

I've already read a huge spoiler,* but I'm hoping I can kinda forget it before September.

*wonder if i should try confirming this with dr2 players but the truth might be more than i can handle

Usually I forget spoilers when I stop thinking about the subject for a while. When I come back to it though I inevitably notice something and go "Oh, I know what's going to happen" when I see something connected to the spoiler. I imagine this will happen with DR2 when I see something related to the stuff I know, I'll probably end up putting 2+2 together really fast.

Then again I put things together pretty fast for DR and I didn't get spoiled on that, so hopefully it just would have been the case anyway... I can just pretend I was smart enough to have figured it out on my own before it happened!

PK Gaming

Makoto is basically at points one step above a silent protagonist. As in he will answer another character, but it is usually what they want to hear.

I mean it's nice that does give hope to other characters via their free events, but that's really the only time you ever see that while in the main plot, he's usually way too passive.
Reminds me of the other Makoto

At least he's insightful... sometimes.

Sorian

Banned
Agreed.

While his secret could be considered embarrassing, it's really nothing compared to Mondo's who inadvertently killed his brother.

Agreed and that makes sense for him. Mondo is a gang leader, of course he would have a secret leading back to something like homicide. Toko is a serial killer, kind of a given what her secret was. Celeste has built an entire life on lies and deceit, intrigue mixed in there wouldn't surprise me. The list goes on and on but I'm sure some of the characters had generic secrets too, Hina, for example, probably the biggest secret she had going on is that she keeps an emergency donut ration with her at all times.

Idk, as I said, I liked that Makoto was a generic character and he had his two big moments to shine in thrashing Byakuya in the fourth trial and (though I will admit the game was heavy handed in the hints) choosing to ignore Kyoko's lie in chapter 5. She knew he'd figure it out and it was really Makoto's choice of what to do with her life. Makoto really did shine in chapter 6 as well althought other characters were figuring it out too. For a nobody, I think he should get props for being one of only 3 who were able to put together a real investigation and make valid points in the case.

Zephyx

I think my problem with the ending is that it's grounded (within the context of this narrative) to a point where most players figure it out before going into the trial, but the plausibility of this scenario hinges around a very implausible idea that's never explained beyond 'well, it happened.' Mass induced amnesia still bothers me. I don't think it sinks the ship or anything, because the individual trials and the characters are fun enough to make up for it, but yeah.

Same here. The amnesia thing was really lacking in execution. Maybe if they can go to that in detail on how it was done, I would certainly appreciate it. That plot device was too convenient.

PK Gaming

Re: Makoto

Seeing Makoto step up to the plate during the last trial (after being relegated to player 2 for 90% of the game) was probably my single favorite moment in the entire game. Everyone else was in a daze for most of the trial, so it was the first time Makoto got to man up and save the day. It was so satisfying.

I appreciated how he was the only to force a serious reaction from Junko.

And cause her to actually freak out

The decision to literally shoot hope into your friends was a brilliant way to fuse narrative and gameplay together. At least when I finally figured it out anyway ~_o

Dio Junko and Secretary Junko were the hottest Junkos.

Wot about King Junko

That shit threw me for a fucking loop when she asked me that damn question

THEN SHE WENT BLANK SLATE

AUGGGGHHH

PS DR Abridged/DRAT's title for Makoto is far more accurate than DanganRonpa's actual title for the bitch

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Am I the only one who suspected the air purifying device to be the thing that wiped their memories when it was introduced?

I can appreciate Makoto's role in the plot as a device representing positivity and acceptance of the aspects of life that can and can't be changed, and I definitely think it led to some cool moments, especially in the final case, but he just never really evolved beyond a device in my eyes. I guess I just don't think that his being a symbol of hope that spreads these feelings to others and having a more interesting personality need to be mutually exclusive.

Sorian

Banned
Am I the only one who suspected the air purifying device to be the thing that wiped their memories when it was introduced?

Better question, was that thing hooked up to a heart monitor for junko or something or did she turn it off before heading down there expecting to lose?

Edit: Another question and I'll spoiler tag it for SDR2 even though I know next to nothing about the game:
I would assume Makoto makes a return, does he get a boost to his personality because he is no longer the main character?
Keep it as spoil-free as possible please :D

PK Gaming

Despairgasm > King > Teacher > Regular > Dio > Depressed > Crazy > Moe

EDIT: In terms of hotness.

Quality wise, i'd go:

King > Despairgasm > Monokuma > Regular > Dio > Crazy > Depressed > Teacher > Moe

Dresden

The decision to literally shoot hope into your friends was a brilliant way to fuse narrative and gameplay together. At least when I finally figured it out anyway ~_o

I liked shooting hope into them (especially that backstabbing nerd Hagakure), but I wish the stipulation to kill Makoto wasn't included with the stay option. Kinda cheapened the outcome imo.

PK Gaming

I liked shooting hope into them (especially that backstabbing nerd Hagakure), but I wish the stipulation to kill Makoto wasn't included with the stay option. Kinda cheapened the outcome imo.

Yeah, I think the entire sequence would have been stronger without it.

On the bright side, Junko's hilarious dialogue sort of makes up for it.

Man, I think I took a snapshot for nearly every single one of her lines.

Where's depressed Junko?

Fixed!

Jintor

So... does anyone know what happened in that crazy battle classroom up on the fourth floor?

Besides everybody died, I mean.

Top Bottom