• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Spoiler Thread - Farewell, spoiler tags of despair!

Well if I'm not mistaken the Japanese is simply "The Black" and "The White", so...

Well it was more like Kuro and Shiro or Black and White.

I actually think the Blackened is a nice localization of it. And it definitely has a nice sound to it.

I don't remember what FUNI used in the anime though if they even did anything at all.

PKrockin

It didn't stick out to me since they paired it with "the Spotless". That made it a "stained by their crime" thing.

According to my J/E dictionary, 黒 "black" (the color) can also refer to "guilt" or "guilty person", so it looks like that's not exclusive to DR.

Edit: And 白"white" (the color) can refer to "innocence" or "innocent person"

It didn't stick out to me since they paired it with "the Spotless". That made it a "stained by their crime" thing.

According to my J/E dictionary, 黒 "black" (the color) can also refer to "guilt" or "guilty person", so it looks like that's not exclusive to DR.

Edit: And 白"white" (the color) can refer to "innocence" or "innocent person"

Hm, thinking about it, I think Funi went literally in the subs of the anime with guilty or innocence.

It's really going to be weird when the anime and the game terminology doesn't match unless Funi is going back to fix all that.

Squire

Banned
I concur entirely! Monokuma's VA owns it when it's spoken. It's a great term.

... Just makes it difficult to explain without the fear of derp stares

"Wait why are the blackened the bad guys?"

Because black is historically associated with evil or wrongdoing while white represents peace and purity.

If you're worried about racial connotations or something, you really shouldn't be.

LX_Theo

Banned
Because black is historically associated with evil or wrongdoing while white represents peace and purity.

If you're worried about racial connotations or something, you really shouldn't be.

Heh. I never even thought of blackened being taken in a racial way. It was always more akin to something being charred to me. Like a burned chicken or any overcooked meal. Which just sort of made sense to me given the fate of them with the executions.

I'll worry about what I want, maaaan! I'm not a dirty pirate with no black mark nonsense! I'M NOT A PART OF YOUR SYSTEM

... I wasn't. I just found it amusing that that's the route they went with.

Tldr Japan hates black people...? :p

kewlmyc

tumblr_mmgb5pefFx1r0va9jo1_500.png

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=35547207
DanganRonpa 3 spoilers.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Had to delete all the OST videos I watched on Youtube because I got an entire bar full of SDR2 spoiler recommendations. Had to put a piece of paper over my screen while removing them from my feed.

Squire

Banned
Heh. I never even thought of blackened being taken in a racial way. It was always more akin to something being charred to me. Like a burned chicken or any overcooked meal. Which just sort of made sense to me given the fate of them with the executions.

I'll worry about what I want, maaaan! I'm not a dirty pirate with no black mark nonsense! I'M NOT A PART OF YOUR SYSTEM

... I wasn't. I just found it amusing that that's the route they went with.

Tldr Japan hates black people...? :p

Heh, nah. It's just a super cursory representation of good and evil. That's what the game is all about.

It goes without saying but that's probably the single best facial sprite in the game.

He's legit shook!

Look at those dead eyes! What a weak willed individual.

It's amazing that he turns into Optimus Prime in Danganronpa 6: Despair Goes to Africa, never saw the franchises merging at all

Can we talk about how Box 16 is the greatest track in the game? Its intro, its melody, its placement and use in the game; everything about it kicks major butt.

Monokuma's theme is a distant second, followed by The 1000 Strikes.

Squire

Banned
Can we talk about how Box 16 is the greatest track in the game? Its intro, its melody, its placement and use in the game; everything about it kicks major butt.

Monokuma's theme is a distant second, followed by The 1000 Strikes.

Dude. Yes. Oh my god it's my favorite.

Edit: Ah, I thought you meant the original.

Sendou

Just finished the game and oh what a ride it was. Took just enough from 999 and Ace Attorney while still having its own thing going for it.

Oh and this is the best artwork in the game:

Wish there were a 1920x1200 desktop background of this.

How essential "school mode" is by the way? I tried playing it but can't just be bothered with that kind of gameplay. Anything I should YouTube there? For what's it worth I didn't find the S. Link equivalents in this game particularly exciting.

This was Kyoku's highlight in the game:

Not very interesting character in my opinion. Other characters were great with mastermind, Monokuma and Toko being just a notch above the others.

Jintor

Box 16 is great because you've been hearing Box 15 the whole game.

Seriously, layer the two over each. They're so good.

Jintor

Beat the game late last night, about to start School Mode. Someone give me the optimal strategy.

report cards first run, then trip tickets. Focus on levelling and obtaining tools to level faster (the consumables down the bottom permanently raise your levels)

Jintor

I have to say that I was impressed by the way the cliffhanger actually kind of adheres to the choice between hope and despair. By keeping the state of the world in kind of schrodinger's box, it kind of lets the player alternate between the two states since neither is confirmed.

Of course, I'm probably overthinking it. (And it's nowhere as cool as what ZE pulls off)

Noi

I have to say that I was impressed by the way the cliffhanger actually kind of adheres to the choice between hope and despair. By keeping the state of the world in kind of schrodinger's box, it kind of lets the player alternate between the two states since neither is confirmed.

Of course, I'm probably overthinking it. (And it's nowhere as cool as what ZE pulls off)

That's likely accurate to what they were trying to do (since the end of the game kinda hammers the point that you can choose to believe that everything Junko said was a lie or despair at the reality).

It would probably work better if we were playing it as it came out and not with a confirmed sequel, spin-off and teased third game.

PK Gaming

Well when you consider the Headmaster's decision to turn this school into a shelter, the DVD interviews, and Genocide Jill's account, it doesn't paint a pretty picture of the world's state. Still, there were people who tried to save the students so maybe the world isn't all bad.

I seriously want to know what the Tragedy was. To keep it under the wraps like that... it'd be better blow me away!

RetroMG

Overall I think ZE has a much better story, but gameplay-wise, Danganronpa is way more fun. I groaned every time I saw "Seek a Way Out," and if there had been a story-only option, I would have taken it. Aside from the Bullet Time Battles, (which I never quite got the hang of,) I didn't dislike any of DR's gameplay.

RedBoot

I just noticed that Aoi's sprite in school mode is the only one that has pixelated breast outlines when sleeping. That's... weird.

Her item searching sprite is different too. Everyone else has the usual "using a pickaxe" pose, while she's bent over forwards digging on the ground. Same idea, really.

Jintor

Overall I think ZE has a much better story, but gameplay-wise, Danganronpa is way more fun. I groaned every time I saw "Seek a Way Out," and if there had been a story-only option, I would have taken it. Aside from the Bullet Time Battles, (which I never quite got the hang of,) I didn't dislike any of DR's gameplay.

I liked it conceptually and it does good things in terms of creating stress and tension, but I got so irritated with knowing what the right thing was to do but missing shooting the right statement by .5 of a second that I could easily have just gone with a classic Phoenix Wright segment for those bits.

And BTB's are irritating as fuck. The vocal samples of ad homenims repeated endlessly is blarrrghhhhhhhh

Climax Inferences though are great. I hear SDR2 actually labels the panels so you know what they represent, which would be nice.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I didn't mind BTB, though I tend to be a fan of rhythm games, so I most likely got a hang of it faster & was able to deal with when you couldn't see the dots a lot easier. I heard it was done better in DR2, so it sounds like I'll probably enjoy it more.

Hated them at first, but once I fully understood the mechanics, I actually started looking forward to them.

Pretty much. I rather enjoyed all the mini-games. I think the only one I kinda disliked was Nonstop Debate at times due to me failing at accurately selecting the right word or firing too slow or in the wrong place.

So only because I suck at aiming.

PKrockin

I'm not sure what everyone's problem with BTB is. I loved those and had no trouble figuring out how they work.

I have no idea what it's supposed to be representing. The opponent is just throwing unfriendly words out at Makoto, I guess, and Makoto just sits there and tries not to let the bullying get to him until he finally decides to bring up the proof?

The repeated sound bites get annoying after a while.

Once hyper mode is activated it's not exciting at all, just button mashing. That takes up like half the fight.

Makoto's "This should prove it!" in English sounds unusually nasally and uncool, and the opponent's shocked sprite twitching back and forth and retreating looks kind of odd.

Dresden

BTB is the only minigame I didn't like, by the end. Too mindless, just annoying filler between all the other stuff that interests me in the trials.

Jintor

BTB represents basically you just trying to break through someone going "LALALA I'M NOT LISTENING"

I found it pretty easy, but I just hated the repeated vocal samples. They're terrrrrrrrrrrrible

Top Bottom